Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

150g of water is way too little, no wonder your coffee came out tasting underextracted. The 4:6 method usually uses 300g of water per 20g of coffee.

Is it better to pour as quickly as possible and let it drain, or try to do a longer pour to try to keep the water in the grounds a consistent volume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

red19fire posted:

Is it better to pour as quickly as possible and let it drain, or try to do a longer pour to try to keep the water in the grounds a consistent volume?

Don’t worry about the length of time taken to pour too much. I usually pour pretty slowly, trying not to disturb the grounds too much. Once the correct amount has been poured, I wait for the water to drain through the coffee bed completely before starting the next pour. If you’ve ground to the right size, this should take around 45 seconds. Don’t worry if it takes a bit longer though, some coffees naturally generate more fine particles than others, and they will take much longer to drain. Ethiopians are particularly bad for this.

If you follow these steps and the coffee tastes over or under-extracted, then adjust with grind size rather than by altering the method.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Gunder posted:

Starting with 20g coffee and 300ml water:

code:
Pour	Time	Weight	Weight After
1	0:00	50	50
2	0:45	70	120
3	1:30	60	180
4	2:15	60	240
5	3:00	60	300
Makes a really nice, well extracted, cup of coffee.

I usually swirl the V60 a little after each pour to level the grounds.

To clarify, I know I posted this with times attached for each step, but just ignore them. Just brew as I mentioned above and see how it goes.

edit: Also, you can swirl the V60 between steps or not. If your coffee is draining a little fast then you might want to swirl, if it's draining slow, then don't swirl at all.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Niyqor posted:

If you're ever near a Mojo Coffee (which I think means either in Chicago or New Zealand) I'd highly recommend trying some coffee from their steampunk brewer. It is really tasty. I used to work across the street from a location and miss being able to hop over there to grab a cup. It is a neat device.

It’s a shame that Mojo is now just a generic chain here in NZ. Also they publicly spoke out against raising the minimum wage by raising their prices to match.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AnimeIsTrash posted:

150g of water is way too little, no wonder your coffee came out tasting underextracted. The 4:6 method usually uses 300g of water per 20g of coffee.

ahh, I'm assuming further water is meant to balance the solution. I was also confused since the bloom into pour I was doing didn't physically spread out the grounds into the shape of the filter but that's a weird thing to focus on I guess.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Okay, here's a summary that should be less confusing and not spread over multiple posts:

How I brew V60 4:6 method:

20g Coffee, 300g Water @ 95c (This is for the light roasts I tend to drink, darker roasts will probably benefit from colder water.)

Grind coarse. Coarser than normal for pour-over. On my Baratza Virtuoso+ it's usually around 20-22.

Step 1: Pre-heat and rinse V60 filter/brewer.

Step 2: Add 20grams coarse ground coffee to V60.

Step 3: Start pouring as detailed below, and allow all the water to fully pass through the coffee bed between each pour. If you've dialed in your grind properly, this should take around 45 seconds from the time you finish pouring. Don't pour very fast, just a nice gentle pour in the standard swirling motion should be fine. You can choose to swirl the V60 a little between each pour in order to level out the coffee bed between pours. If your coffee has a lot of fine particles, this might slow down draining a little too much, and lead to over-extraction. Each time I brew with a new coffee for the first time I always brew without swirling on the first brew to see what it's like. If it turns out very marginally under-extracted I'll just introduce a swirl between pours to slow the brew down slightly and increase extraction a little.

code:
Pour		Weight		Weight After
1(Bloom)	50		50
2		70		120
3		60		180
4		60		240
5		60		300
If, after all this, it still tastes under or over extracted, adjust your grind size, not the method. Don't get hung up on if the coffee takes longer than 45 seconds to drain, just keep going and see what it tastes like at the end of the process. I've had coffees take almost a minute to drain between pours and still taste totally fine.

This isn't perfect, it's just how I've managed to get the most consistent results out of my V60.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 5, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Futaba Anzu posted:

ahh, I'm assuming further water is meant to balance the solution. I was also confused since the bloom into pour I was doing didn't physically spread out the grounds into the shape of the filter but that's a weird thing to focus on I guess.

For your Kalita Wave, when it arrives, this is the best brewing guide I've encountered for that thing.

https://eightysevenplus.com/brew-guide-kalita-wave/

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gunder posted:

Okay, here's a summary that should be less confusing and not spread over multiple posts:

How I brew V60 4:6 method:

20g Coffee, 300g Water @ 95c (This is for the light roasts I tend to drink, darker roasts will probably benefit from colder water.)

Grind coarse. Coarser than normal for pour-over. On my Baratza Virtuoso+ it's usually around 20-22.

Step 1: Pre-heat and rinse V60 filter/brewer.

Step 2: Add 20grams coarse ground coffee to V60.

Step 3: Start pouring as detailed below, and allow all the water to fully pass through the coffee bed between each pour. If you've dialed in your grind properly, this should take around 45 seconds from the time you finish pouring. Don't pour very fast, just a nice gentle pour in the standard swirling motion should be fine. You can choose to swirl the V60 a little between each pour in order to level out the coffee bed between pours. If your coffee has a lot of fine particles, this might slow down draining a little too much, and lead to over-extraction. Each time I brew with a new coffee for the first time I always brew without swirling on the first brew to see what it's like. If it turns out very marginally under-extracted I'll just introduce a swirl between pours to slow the brew down slightly and increase extraction a little.

code:
Pour		Weight		Weight After
1(Bloom)	50		50
2		70		120
3		60		180
4		60		240
5		60		300
If, after all this, it still tastes under or over extracted, adjust your grind size, not the method. Don't get hung up on if the coffee takes longer than 45 seconds to drain, just keep going and see what it tastes like at the end of the process. I've had coffees take almost a minute to drain between pours and still taste totally fine.

This isn't perfect, it's just how I've managed to get the most consistent results out of my V60.

Tried a second cup for the afternoon and using more water has balanced it a lot. There's still the acidic sour note to it but it's a lot more sweet and fruity on the aftertaste, although I can't be sure that that's from the brewing or because later in the day means I'm more dulled to bitterness. I'm thinking the tartness is just part of this blend and I just need to dial into 'how it's meant' to be experienced since I have had a couple sips throughout that feel like it's getting to Something

e: I can definitely taste what this is supposed to be like, every few sips and taking a couple breaths to aerate my mouth I get a super distinct chocolate orange note just like the candy.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Are ratios like 1:16 for total water or water that makes it through?

With my new kalita wave 185 and virtuoso, I've been grinding 16 grams at ~15 setting and pouring 240 grams of water, and it has come out sour. I tried grinding it finer but quickly got to where the water did not drain.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Enigma posted:

Are ratios like 1:16 for total water or water that makes it through?

With my new kalita wave 185 and virtuoso, I've been grinding 16 grams at ~15 setting and pouring 240 grams of water, and it has come out sour. I tried grinding it finer but quickly got to where the water did not drain.

Total water. What's your coffee? What's your water temp?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gunder posted:

Total water. What's your coffee? What's your water temp?

https://www.panthercoffee.com/finca-la-amistad

Water temp is 205 F

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That could just be the flavor profile of those beans according to the description. I avoid single origins for this reason.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, it could be the dried cherry note.

How did it taste at the finest setting you tried on your grinder? Seeing as it clogged the brewer, I assume there must have been a good amount of over-extraction, leading to bitterness and astringency?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

205 is on the high end but still sounds pretty reasonable. Outside of your coffee being an issue you could also try changing the ratio. 16:240 is 1:15. I think 1:14 or 1:16 might work better.

It looks like those are high altitude beans so it should have somewhat of a citrusy taste.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

205 is on the high end but still sounds pretty reasonable. Outside of your coffee being an issue you could also try changing the ratio. 16:240 is 1:15. I think 1:14 or 1:16 might work better.

It looks like those are high altitude beans so it should have somewhat of a citrusy taste.

Changing the ratio might be a good idea here. I've had some particularly potent Kenyans that I had to brew at 1:16 instead of my usual 1:15 in order for them to be palatable.

Edit: If you're new to brewing light roasts this way, don't let this discourage you, there's a lot of variety in light roasts, and there are plenty that aren't overly acidic.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Not discouraged, and tbh I moreso prefer dark roasts. I usually get their "east coast" one that is more chocolate notes, but my order got messed up and I ended up with the one I linked.

If I give it a long time, like 10 minutes, the coffee that eventually comes out isn't bad. I actually don't even mind bitter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If I have coffee beans I don't love I just turn it into cold brew

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Futaba Anzu posted:

Tried a second cup for the afternoon and using more water has balanced it a lot. There's still the acidic sour note to it but it's a lot more sweet and fruity on the aftertaste, although I can't be sure that that's from the brewing or because later in the day means I'm more dulled to bitterness. I'm thinking the tartness is just part of this blend and I just need to dial into 'how it's meant' to be experienced since I have had a couple sips throughout that feel like it's getting to Something

e: I can definitely taste what this is supposed to be like, every few sips and taking a couple breaths to aerate my mouth I get a super distinct chocolate orange note just like the candy.

So I just realized for all these years I've been using the 'tap' spigot on this fancy water ionizing machine that actually dispenses the acidic 'waste' water of the ionized water in the tank. on top of this explaining a ton on why all my glasses seemed to get so calcified after just one drink, i realized this is probably tilting the scale super hard in that direction. I hear water is usually one of the last things you want to change in your setup, but I think in this situation trying out the ionized alkaline spigot could potentially get a better result instantly on my next attempt

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Gunder posted:

If you're using a grinder that holds onto a lot of grounds, make sure you purge the grinder with a gram or two of beans before you use it each time. This stops you from getting a load of old grounds in your portafilter which will cause your shots to run really fast.
How does that work? Old grounds get stuck in the grinder and those are the first that end up in the portafilter when grinding a new shot? What do you mean by purging the grinder? Just throw away what you grind in the first new seconds?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Sigmund Fraud posted:

How does that work? Old grounds get stuck in the grinder and those are the first that end up in the portafilter when grinding a new shot? What do you mean by purging the grinder? Just throw away what you grind in the first new seconds?

Yes, old grounds hanging around in the grind path from the last time you used the grinder. To get around the problem, I throw in a gram or two of beans into the hopper and just grind through those directly into my knockbox and then throw that away. This pushes out the old grinds and replaces them with new, fresh grounds. I then load up the grinder with my actual dose and grind directly into my portafilter. I'll also do this again each time I change grind sizes while dialling in espresso, just to get rid of the last of the old size grounds.

Not every grinder is the same with regards to grind retention. Certain designs are more prone to it than others. My flat burr Eureka espresso grinder retains a lot more than my Virtuoso does, for example. Some grinders claim to be "zero retention", such as the Niche Zero, but they all necessarily have some amount of retention, even if it's very minor.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Exactly right. Depending on how the pathway out of the burrs is designed, there can be several grams of grounds in there getting stale until they’re pushed out the next time you grind. Some grinders, like the niche zero or baratza sette, are designed to minimize this and are advertised as “low retention.” These will usually still retain some grinds, usually less than a gram, and it’s not as important to purge them. Other grinders, especially commercial models designed for use in busy cafes, don’t bother to optimize this and purging will make a larger difference.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

If I have coffee beans I don't love I just turn it into cold brew

Speaking of this... any ratios/tips? I'm usually never thrilled with how my cold brews turn out but it's better than putting the attention into a pour over for beans I'm not crazy about.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I coarsened the grind a bit to about an 18 and upped the water ratio to 1:16 and that made a world of difference. No sourness at all now, and it drained completely in a reasonable, sub-five-minute time.

Still not my favorite coffee flavor, but at least now it's brewed properly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Postman posted:

Speaking of this... any ratios/tips? I'm usually never thrilled with how my cold brews turn out but it's better than putting the attention into a pour over for beans I'm not crazy about.

I've tried a bunch of ratios and grind sizes and it never tastes amazing. I don't think it ever will because cold brew isn't really brewing and more akin to cooking steak in the warm sun for 12 hours. It's just a convenient way to get rid of those occasional lovely bags of coffee.

Japanese ice coffee style tastes much better but it's a little more work.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I know there was handheld grinder chat a while back, but looking for something under $200 that I can use at work. Any advice?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the_lion posted:

I know there was handheld grinder chat a while back, but looking for something under $200 that I can use at work. Any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9OuRl1F3k

Linking the obligatory Hoffman video.

I'd also add that i've heard good thing about the 1zpresso jx-pro, and there is a cheaper kinu called the phoenix that is basically supposed to be the m47 burrs but with a cheaper body, and the timemore has newer c2 variant out that solves a lot of the problems as the c1.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have any experience with the Fellow Stagg [X] pour-over brewer? I was thinking of trying one out.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm... kind of considering getting a FrankOne brewer. Anyone have any experience with those things?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Any thoughts on this machine? My Kureg is dying on me and fails to start actually making the coffee until after I restart it several times.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PFLM2LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_qYFFFb52H236M

I also make tea decently frequently, so it's abilities there seem nice.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just got the dispatch notification on my Niche Zero that I ordered alongside my Appartamento. Quite quick honestly, especially considering that the fulfilment date was meant to be in November. Need to find something to do with my Eureka Mignon Specialita.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you're considering selling I'd be interested in buying! I wanted to do a side by side test of the Eureka against my Baratza Sette Wi.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any thoughts on this machine? My Kureg is dying on me and fails to start actually making the coffee until after I restart it several times.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PFLM2LK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_qYFFFb52H236M

I also make tea decently frequently, so it's abilities there seem nice.

Ended up ordering a Nespresso and a stainless steel refillable pod so I can use my own coffee.

$100 for a Vertuo Plus and another $25 for the refillable pod seems like a good deal that'll pay for itself in less than a month with how much I drink. Of the expresso pod works I'll probably also get a refillable coffee pod too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Refilling those tiny pods sounds tedious.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I wonder how Fellow's new brew focused grinder will turn out. I've seen a video comparing it favourably to the Baratza Virtuoso+, which is already a great brew grinder.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

hypnophant posted:

Use the drop of water trick to keep static under control to reduce the mess somewhat.
Pray, do tell.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Abner Assington posted:

Pray, do tell.

There's a ridiculous name for it but in a nutshell, measure out your beans and then sprinkle a drop or two of water onto them before you load them into the grinder. Even a very small amount of moisture will neutralize static, keeping the output from clinging to the grinder and bin. You can get a little spray atomizer and give the beans a little spritz or just wet your fingers and flick a few drops onto them. It's a very simple trick but works well.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Gunder posted:

I wonder how Fellow's new brew focused grinder will turn out. I've seen a video comparing it favourably to the Baratza Virtuoso+, which is already a great brew grinder.

I have one. I also have experience with all of Baratza's products (but only a week of use with the Ode). I feel so far like it's probably the best option for the money, and I think better than Baratza's options for the price (Encore/Virtuoso).

That said, it makes a constant low-level hum when plugged in, which is annoying, and the grinds knocker doesn't really do anything. I'm seeing about .5g retention which when you're doing a 15g brew as I do is not acceptable. Using the RDT (drop of water, mentioned in the post above) makes this tolerable, but it's still an annoying problem. The grinds catcher cup and cap are also more annoying that the simple Baratza bin. On the plus side, the grinder is lower profile and quieter, and the auto shutoff is nice. I also have a Comandante C40 and I'm going to compare them soon. I feel like the performance is pretty similar, but the Ode might be better.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I have seen people recommend to only use that on very static prone grinders. On grinders with anti-static designs like the Niche, putting water in there will actually make it worse, not better.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

grahm posted:

I have one. I also have experience with all of Baratza's products (but only a week of use with the Ode). I feel so far like it's probably the best option for the money, and I think better than Baratza's options for the price (Encore/Virtuoso).

That said, it makes a constant low-level hum when plugged in, which is annoying, and the grinds knocker doesn't really do anything. I'm seeing about .5g retention which when you're doing a 15g brew as I do is not acceptable. Using the RDT (drop of water, mentioned in the post above) makes this tolerable, but it's still an annoying problem. The grinds catcher cup and cap are also more annoying that the simple Baratza bin. On the plus side, the grinder is lower profile and quieter, and the auto shutoff is nice. I also have a Comandante C40 and I'm going to compare them soon. I feel like the performance is pretty similar, but the Ode might be better.

That's interesting. The .5g retention is disappointing. My Virtuoso+ has very little to no retention if you flap the hopper lid a little, post-grind. I'm surprised the knocker is so ineffective. It can't have been placed very sensibly.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Gunder posted:

I have seen people recommend to only use that on very static prone grinders. On grinders with anti-static designs like the Niche, putting water in there will actually make it worse, not better.

Do you have a niche, and have you tried this? How much water do you use? I have a sette which is not an enormously static-prone grinder but the drop does make a very clear difference. And when i say a drop i literally mean a drop- the beans should certainly not be noticeably wet when they go in the grinder.