Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

you gotta buy it so they'll replenish the stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you buy that one now, you'll have a complete set if you run across another lonely plate.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Maybe they just put one out at a time? Buy it and see if another on pops up in a day.

Also you can still use it for deadlifts just shift your self about six inches away from it on the bar.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You just know that it’s the last one of its type ever produced.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Use it as your devoted weighted reach ups plate.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hang it round your neck while doing deadlifts.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Should my lower back be sore after kettlebell swings? I've been trying to fix up my form and really focus on hinging rather than squatting. It must be getting better because my hamstrings are fried today. It's not sore like injured, it feels like I did high rep deadlifts. I haven't done swings in months.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 11, 2020

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Man I don't know if it should, but if seems like the good kind of pain that goes away I wouldn't worry about it. My back has been sore all over the loving place when I've been working at my physical job and doing kettlebell swings after work. It seems to have worked out.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 11, 2020

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Thanks man. It's the good kind of sore so I'll stick with them.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

ultrafilter posted:

If you buy that one now, you'll have a complete set if you run across another lonely plate.

Make it a tinder profile to find that other plate

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lookin for the 45lb bumper plate to match my 45lb bumper plate

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Someone is selling a trap bar near me for $100 and I'm really tempted to pick it up.

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

I recommend it. I also recommend putting it back down

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
imagine the trap gains if you didn't though

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I'm back in the gym and breaking PR's but I'm having to go early in the morning or very late at night due to taking care of someone and want to do everything I can to not put them at risk. Please don't respond with, "just don't go to the gym." I've been willing to build a home gym and had everything set up except for plates and I need way more weight than even an experienced lifter does so the cost combined with supply/demand is making this extremely difficult.

Do you guys have any breathable masks recommendations from places like Amazon that you can personally vouch for? I already tend to sweat more than the average weightlifter and even though I know my O2 saturation isn't really being affected it is extremely uncomfortable. If you guys have any recommendations I would be extremely grateful; my searches make it hard to distinguish between altitude masks and covid protection and I definitely do not want the former.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I just bring multiple masks and switch em when I start waterboarding myself

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

feelix posted:

Honestly lately I feel like the best way to deal with aches and pains is to find an exercise that seems to "aggravate" it. If the pain gets worse with repeated exposure to a very light resistance then you probably need to go to the doctor. If it gets better as you warm up/get blood to the area/whatever, then just start doing that exercise regularly and progressing the load and the pain will typically go away permanently.

Just did this with nagging IT band pain that I've been dealing with for literally years on and off, feel so good man. The answer is "single leg press, as deep and as quad dominant as physically possible". I think other people ITT were having the same kinda pain so it might be helpful

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Two concrete plates done; 39 & 40lbs it seems, though I need to get a better weigh-in on them. Using my lovely old scale on an uneven driveway made for uneven weighing. They're still curing so I suppose that weight could change too. Gonna repeat the process at least twice for six 35lb~ plates which is... 255 total w/ bar. The only suitable mold I could find at the time was an 18" round x maybe 2.5" deep planter bottom thing so maybe I try to find something bigger later this year for a 60lb+ behemoth

I'll get some snazzy pics up once they're not covered in garbage bags curing

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Still laughing about the goon whose friend came over and had the audacity to cheat and OHP five more pounds than the goon did.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Been building up a kneeling ohp, 5x12 starting with the bar up to 105. Easy so far but curious if I'll be able to clean more than baby weight or if I'll have to rig up some starting blocks or something.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Zzulu posted:

I don't know what "most powerlifters" do, but the best powerlifters definitely train their cores specifically. Like the world record holders, for example

I just wanna keep doing 5/3/1 and keep make my 5lb a month on my lifts and maybe set a record for biggest spreadsheet.... Thx for the suggestions guys

B-Rock452 posted:

Standing Abs are what westside recommends and ab work is done every session. I use some bands over my pull-up bar for them.

Standing abs is the movement in a standing cable crunch? Google is confusing me

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I've started using an ab wheel lately and it's great.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Cross-posting:

artism posted:

Okay so I think my shoulder is super hosed. Been a steady build over the past few weeks but now it’s to the pint where I can’t do any pressing variation except for regular bench, which still hurts, but nowhere near as bad as close grip, OHP or push press. It also flares up somewhat when I squat. But the shoulder presses and close grip bench are my most problematic lifts. Strangely, DB press aggravates it significantly less

It doesn’t appear to be a mobility issue. There’s a sensation of heaviness when I do the ‘lie prone on the floor with a bar extended above your head’ test, but not pain.

I think it’s the front deltoid:

https://ibb.co/X3pKsnR

Kinda where the divet is.

Send help plz

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Batterypowered7 posted:

Still laughing about the goon whose friend came over and had the audacity to cheat and OHP five more pounds than the goon did.

he had like 40 lb on me at the time too. always cheat OHP

Khorne
May 1, 2002

artism posted:

Cross-posting:

Send help plz
I'd take 1-2 weeks off of anything that agitates it. Working through it is not working by your own description.

Dips and lat pulldowns seemed to give me those same symptoms when I started lifting and not doing those for a week or two solved it every time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 15, 2020

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Close grip bench is the only thing that aggravates my shoulder for some reason. It started to bleed into other lifts but I upped my shoulder mobility warmups and I started giving my pecs and front delts a good rollout with a lacrosse ball after a couple of warm-up sets and towards the end of my workouts. I know the science on rolling is iffy but it feels good and my shoulder is doing way better. I haven't tried going back to close grip yet.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

nooneofconsequence posted:

I've started using an ab wheel lately and it's great.
Yea i got one at the covid lock down start, i got the cheapest one at wal mart but its still awesome

artism posted:

Cross-posting:

Send help plz

Yea take time off, you prob have tendonitis in the rotator cuff. Make sure your doing a lot of pulling movements too and rear/medial work to keep things balanced(as long as they dont bother you too)

Fallows fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 15, 2020

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Walmart Update: Bumper's gone, but they got more barbells in (and an EZ Curl bar). Maybe plates soon???????

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Sweet, thanks all! I think warming up more thoroughly in the future in conjunction with a little time off and a lot more rear delt work Is going to be my ticket. I’ll probably do some light db bench/press work in the meantime since it has no noticeable effect. I think my shoulders are rolling forward due to improper lat contraction. I’m exaggerating it significantly - the way you would if you were doing a one arm scapular retraction - rather than just going for a ‘Superman chest’.

Feeling optimistic

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

It took me like a year to rehab my shoulder after an injury doing ohp and i used to help design implants for rotator cuff injuries, they are sons of bitches. I probably could have cut the time down to a few months if I had followed a proper rehab protocol though.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

nooneofconsequence posted:

Close grip bench is the only thing that aggravates my shoulder for some reason. It started to bleed into other lifts but I upped my shoulder mobility warmups and I started giving my pecs and front delts a good rollout with a lacrosse ball after a couple of warm-up sets and towards the end of my workouts. I know the science on rolling is iffy but it feels good and my shoulder is doing way better. I haven't tried going back to close grip yet.

The answer is probably just don't do close grip bench, but were you close grip benching with a straight bar? If so, you might find an angle grip bar helps.

The angle grips are way more natural and easier on the shoulders. I use one for all benching unless I'm going for a pr.

I got mine from york barbell of elmira:

https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/mbag4.html

Everyone should check out their site, it's positively antediluvian. Just a wonderful relic from the late 90s internet. I've been happy with all the equipment I've bought from them. They aren't as cheap as Titan, but their stuff is good. And again, the website cracks me up

https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/products.html

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
That site is hilarious but they actually have some iron plates, barbells and dumbbells, apparently, so thanks.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Vim Fuego posted:

The answer is probably just don't do close grip bench, but were you close grip benching with a straight bar? If so, you might find an angle grip bar helps.

The angle grips are way more natural and easier on the shoulders. I use one for all benching unless I'm going for a pr.

I got mine from york barbell of elmira:

https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/mbag4.html

Everyone should check out their site, it's positively antediluvian. Just a wonderful relic from the late 90s internet. I've been happy with all the equipment I've bought from them. They aren't as cheap as Titan, but their stuff is good. And again, the website cracks me up

https://www.newyorkbarbells.com/products.html

I've owned a power rack from them for about 15 or 16 years. Still going strong.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Leg raises on the floor are really cool

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Not only that, he literally came here to pick up a free squat rack I gave him!

I'm stronger than him at the paused, feet up, larsen bench press though

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 17, 2020

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

artism posted:

Cross-posting:

Send help plz

take a break for a week, ice it, go see a chiro

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

bobz0r posted:

take a break for a week, ice it, go see a chiro
so close

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
I had major shoulder pain back in December and a chiro helped me immensely but ymmv. there are a lot of quack rear end chiros out there.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

bobz0r posted:

I had major shoulder pain back in December and a chiro helped me immensely but ymmv. there are a lot of quack rear end chiros out there.

They’re all idiots hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Time posted:

They’re all idiots hth

There's at least one good one, he works for Barbell Medicine and basically said "getting a chiro degree was the fastest way for me to have the access of a medical professional, like getting paid through insurance etc". He just strength trains people that come to him