Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you die with 0 stress... have you even really lived...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you die with 0 stress... have you even really lived...

Depends. Did I die from getting the stress to 0?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

My liege keeps suggesting dogshit guardians for my heir. Like buddy i’ll culture swap if you want, but get this 6 learning bag of trash out of my sight.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I've had 3 wars in a row pressing a family member's claim for a french duchy, where they up and died right in the middle of the war. Granted, once it was my fault for using the claimant as a knight.

Getting expensive at 500 prestige a pop!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

The only option in response is to stack as much -%stress gain as possible, such as with Confidents. Though that trait combination is absolutely awful.

Yeah, I tried making friends, but each friend would generate enormous amounts of stress. Ended up abdicating for my son when I hit 300 stress after preventing him from getting shy while educating him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Red Crown posted:

This teleporting armies thing is super overpowered. Once you have a beachhead part of your realm anywhere boom, you can bring the hordes anywhere. I'm still stuck Tribal, but that also means I've arbitrarily started eating France as Novgorod :shepface:

Getting some kind of beachhead in a whole other part of the map is great for culture too. I took the Asataru holy site in Holland, turned it Russian, and that rapidly accelerated my innovation exposure.

Changing rally points should cause a month delay or levies. Or if you get big, you must choose X number of rally points.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

Changing rally points should cause a month delay or levies. Or if you get big, you must choose X number of rally points.

How about they can only be dropped at the furthest de jure territory of your primary title? It's really only over powered once you blob out a little, but youd still be a month or more from whatever calamity calls? You'd be able to handle everything within your primary title but have to strategize your army deployment. This would also bring de jure drifting into consideration, as well as holding territory for long periods.

e: I say this as someone who was King of Sicily and manage to hold Crimea, putting down the Byzantines was remarkably easy when I could drop stormtroopers on Constantinople overnight.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mooseontheloose posted:

It does, the problem is that it DOESN'T do so for Men at Arms, which are the real issue since they're so much stronger.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Maybe tie number of rally points with size of top title. 2 for county, 4 for duchies, 6 for kingdoms and 8 for empires? With maybe tying getting extra to mma tech and perks. Each rally point can have a vassels levies tied to it and your mmas and personal levies always come from capital.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Should there be a CB for warring a kingdom that should de facto be part of my empire? I'm the Deccan emperor and I don't have the option to war the independent Sri Lanka, other than subjugate - but I'd rather save that for other kingdoms.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dallan Invictus posted:

It does, the problem is that it DOESN'T do so for Men at Arms, which are the real issue since they're so much stronger.

Perhaps men at arms should only ever be present in the same proportion as actually raised vs potential levies?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gasmask posted:

Should there be a CB for warring a kingdom that should de facto be part of my empire? I'm the Deccan emperor and I don't have the option to war the independent Sri Lanka, other than subjugate - but I'd rather save that for other kingdoms.

De Jure war for kingdoms, I think that's a late medieval innovation

Edit: yeah Rightful Ownership

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Questions!

My wife and I started a Poland game as Boleslaw - technically I play and she helps make decisions and everything, so it's not coop or anything. I have a couple questions and one maybe-bug (different than the one I posted earlier!)

1. The domain you start with is Krakow, which is in your primary duchy, and then a bunch of crap that's in another duchy. How should this best be fixed? Start revoking titles in your primary domain and get rid of the other stuff? Something else? How do you avoid massive tyranny to do so?
  2. On that note, how do you decide what's worth keeping and what's not worth keeping when you take new territory or whatever? I can make some guess based on number of slots for things like castles and the like but also some of those slots have more slots than others, plus there's farmlands, forest, hills, plains, and so forth.
  3. Boleslaw also starts out with one powerful duke hating him to death for several things, primarily wanting those counties in your domain because they're in his duchy, and secondly a bunch of direct vassals to you that should be going to him. I ultimately transfered the vassals to him, which placated him, but it did kind of impact my income quite a lot so I almost regret doing that. How is this best dealt with when you get a -25 malus for every vassal of yours that they feel should be theirs? Do you absolutely refrain from having any non-duke level vassals that aren't in your two duchies that you can keep?
  4. At one point, one of our sons was being educated by a bishop, although I think this bishop may have had a barony - not sure. Said bishop may (i'm not sure now) have been in the county owned by our spymaster. Our son was imprisoned for something while being about 8 years old, and now he's stuck in prison. The guardian turned into a random wanderer when that happened, dressed in rags and with no "title" or anything, but nearly immediately flipped to being an unlanded bishop in bishop garb. Our son remains in our Spymaster's prison and I have no idea why or how to get him out. He is 8 years old and probably very scared about this. He also has no more guardian because I removed guardianship of the former-bishop when I saw he was a wanderer and it seemed a poor choice to keep him there, but now I can't assign a new one because he's in my spymaster's prison. What gives here? What could an 8 year old have done to get imprisoned by my spymaster? How do I get him out? The only notice I got was that he was imprisoned.

I'm also still unclear how to pre-handle succession problems, but I'll leave that for another thing. I'm more concerned on how one should plan one's domain, specifically in the case of Poland where it starts out in such a weird state.

Edit: figured out what happened - my spymaster captured the County of Sacz and captured my son in the siege there, apparently, and ousted the bishop holder of the county (it's a temple-only county right now.) I would imagine he can't hang onto this county as it's just a temple and hopefully he'll release our son at some point.

ssb fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 11, 2020

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

De Jure war for kingdoms, I think that's a late medieval innovation

Edit: yeah Rightful Ownership

Crap. Should have checked. Thanks!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zig-Zag posted:

Maybe tie number of rally points with size of top title. 2 for county, 4 for duchies, 6 for kingdoms and 8 for empires? With maybe tying getting extra to mma tech and perks. Each rally point can have a vassels levies tied to it and your mmas and personal levies always come from capital.

This doesn't really do much for the player I don't think, I usually only have one rally point and just pause then move it to where I want.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Oh dear me posted:

Perhaps men at arms should only ever be present in the same proportion as actually raised vs potential levies?

Maybe MAA just need a big, all around nerf. After all, as someone pointed out the other day, in addition to their insane mobility, MAA kind of undermines one of the core conceits of the game, which is that you are supposed to be reliant on your vassals and their contributions to make up your military power. The way it works now, you directly control all the best troops, and the vassal contributions are just the trash levies, so you're not even missing out on that much if you're not getting that many. Having money which goes into paying for MAA is the objectively better deal. I also think maybe MAA should maybe be included in the troop contributions, so that vassal contributions actually have more value?

Weren't retinues also crazy OP when they were first introduced to CK2, so they had to nerf the hell out of them?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They should just ditch rally points. Hard to say exactly what they should be replaced by, but as it stands they're simultaneously super broken and also miserable and counterintuitive to use.

Regardless, MaA should show up at your capital, and take time to raise just like levies. Their benefit should be that they kick rear end, not that they can flicker out of existence in Tibet and reform two feet behind the rebels in France.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Aw man, the problem is now I'm used to playing this game with super-soldiers so however they decided to reform/rebalance this it will feel like I'm suddenly super weak

Like I already felt bad when they nerfed the siege progress of siege MAA in this first patch lol

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blimpkin posted:

Moving your rally point around to drop your Men-at-Arms and Mercenaries instantly. You can move the rally point next to a rebel army, take them out, disband, move, and take out the next one. You still have to wait for levies, but MAA and Mercs spawn in full, instantly.

How long do we predict before that's patched out

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ideally they'd just tweak levies to be able to compete with MAA for a longer period. I think it makes thematic sense that eventually MAA are better regardless, but make it take longer for them to outscale levies

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

megane posted:

They should just ditch rally points. Hard to say exactly what they should be replaced by, but as it stands they're simultaneously super broken and also miserable and counterintuitive to use.

I'm not sure there's another replacement for rally points unless we go back to "troops are raised from their home holdings and WE have to move them", which was tedious and never enabled as much strategic counterplay vs. blobs as we like to pretend.

We already have the system that varies gather time based on the distance between where the troops are coming from and the rally point, we already have the system that delays regathers based on how far from those home provinces you were when you disbanded. All PDS should need to do is set the "home province" of MaAs to be the realm capital and make them subject to the rules that already exist.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I think it would honestly be fine to have vassals not provide levies or taxes it all (they never did it real life so far as I'm aware). Instead what they should have is a personal responsibility to come fight with you, and bring their MaA along when they do. This should likely then be tied to their opinion of you (they just won't show up if they don't like you and they have no stake in the fight) and an accumulating penalty to relations if you keep them in the field endlessly for your own purposes.

And also maybe a MaA nerf, but also just teaching the AI not to bring all their levies to a fight all the time. Peasant Levies weren't really a thing outside of the most desperate situations, peasants are supposed to be labouring.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Removing levies would be enjoyable just because navigating supply limit with them is hell. The other changes would really need to change how war works, and I don't think it's entirely possible, or good game design, to replicate how battles functioned in the period.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Eimi posted:

I don't think it's entirely possible, or good game design, to replicate how battles functioned in the period.
People are pointing to history as guidestones to improving the game design, not just deciding things based on it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first step to solving this problem is bringing back POP's...

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I think you've got to get rid of teleporting MAA/mercs. Raise them once wherever you like, but then they have to move normally or be subject to a delay like levies are now.

Getting finer control of levies would be useful. And having them negatively affect the economy more quickly. Have levies raised for a year and economic output is reduced, but you also get negative events.

I liked CK2's progression from large levy armies where numbers are greater than anything to more specialized professional armies that were funded by economic growth. That should be model, but it often still feels like a numbers game, even later on.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm not sure there's another replacement for rally points unless we go back to "troops are raised from their home holdings and WE have to move them", which was tedious and never enabled as much strategic counterplay vs. blobs as we like to pretend.

We already have the system that varies gather time based on the distance between where the troops are coming from and the rally point, we already have the system that delays regathers based on how far from those home provinces you were when you disbanded. All PDS should need to do is set the "home province" of MaAs to be the realm capital and make them subject to the rules that already exist.

Pretty much this. I really don't understand why people want to remove rally points, they are an immensely useful quality of life tool.
Also, MAAs are the only interesting thing about warfare! I played a no-MAA game, conquering with only levies, and it was just miserable. The potential for the MAAs you choose and the buildings invested in mattering is so much better than "my number is bigger than yours, guess I win"

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Late game, when all your advisors are upper 20s, low 30s and your character is a stats god, is there anything to keep your religious advisor from not being dumb as a brick? The keep getting 7 education bishops and it’s cramping my style.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Magil Zeal posted:

This doesn't really do much for the player I don't think, I usually only have one rally point and just pause then move it to where I want.

Sorry you could only move them every 10 year or when you get a bigger primary title?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Trevor Hale posted:

Late game, when all your advisors are upper 20s, low 30s and your character is a stats god, is there anything to keep your religious advisor from not being dumb as a brick? The keep getting 7 education bishops and it’s cramping my style.

Convert to a religion with Revocable for Clerical Appointment doctrine, or make a heresy with such. If you want to benefit from the Catholicism clown car, you are sadly eternally saddled with the Pope's dumb choices for your poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's a really good reason to want personal control over investiture, I'm amazed they left it so rigid quite frankly.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

I just murder them, or fabricate hooks and imprison/banish. Sometimes you take an opinion hit but whatever, if you've got a problem, Pope, say it to my face.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah if they're genuinely terrible it's often worth eating the tyranny for imprisoning them.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

tours successfully avenged. wasnt really that hard once you get the ball rolling. by the time i had iberia fully under control i had 20k~ men. the worst part was establishing 'complete control' when your vassals are off doing 500 different things. at one point asturias conquered england wholesale somehow when i wasnt paying attention

this is basically just muwalladism with equal succession (better chance of good rulers/knights and keeps vassals weak cause their stuff gets split up more) and spiritual priests instead of temporal (less vassals = less annoying)

and then after around 40 minutes of revocation, title creation (with a crusade in the middle which was really annoying), border gore fixed:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the karlings took to islam like a duck to water, i didnt even have to imprison any of them. theyre good sports

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Love making my own heresy. Hate coming up with names for my heresies. I wish there was a random-name option or something. Or just a list of good names somewhere that the game doesn't already use.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

disaster pastor posted:

Love making my own heresy. Hate coming up with names for my heresies. I wish there was a random-name option or something. Or just a list of good names somewhere that the game doesn't already use.

i couldnt think of a god drat thing

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
A lot of religious branches are just based on the name of the person who created/popularized them so you were pretty much on the right track by naming them after your own dynasty.

e.g. Calvinism, Lutheranism, Arianism, Ash'Ari, Maturidi, etc. etc.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

yeah i know it just looks ugly, umayyad is a top tier dynasty name but it just doesnt work as a religion. i fixed it with some save editing and Google Translate 'europeanism'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I was about 500 piety too shy of setting up my Judas-based religion