Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the other hand, all it takes is a little nudge to turn Garte into a misogynist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Roumba posted:

But, like, what IS money?

All I know is that sweeties don't get it!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
No Truce With the Furies, No Money for Sweeties

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it's funny that Garte literally spends the entire game examining that bird. Even Cuno gets bored of chucking rocks eventually.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I think it's funny that Garte literally spends the entire game examining that bird. Even Cuno gets bored of chucking rocks eventually.

It's a very nice bird.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doesn't he stop if you bring him a replacement?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nope.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Arrhythmia posted:

It's a very nice bird.

Yeah well, Sylvie broke it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are there any dialogue options for completely incomprehensible political alliances based on having what should be mutually exclusive political alignments?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Are there any dialogue options for completely incomprehensible political alliances based on having what should be mutually exclusive political alignments?

Kim comments on it during the end sequence, not sure if it comes up anywhere else

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
Still utterly shocked at how revolutionary putting dialogue/text in a sidebar is and how it makes the subtitles approach look completely dated.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Health Services posted:

Still utterly shocked at how revolutionary putting dialogue/text in a sidebar is and how it makes the subtitles approach look completely dated.

yeah, i'm surprised i havent seen this before too. it's so much easier to read.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Philman posted:

Not sure if you've seen the YouTube video where he explains it, but they basically built the text system from social media. Super interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

Sounds like the dude has plans, which is great because I would like to consume as much about this universe as possible.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Philman posted:

As opposed to a bar at the bottom of the screen? At a guess I'd say it's because 20+ years ago CRPGs were played on machines with such crappy resolution that they needed the full width of the screen to have reasonably legible text without taking an obscene amount of area away from the main game display or having 2 words per line. And then tradition is a hell of a thing to break.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Not sure if you've seen the YouTube video where he explains it, but they basically built the text system from social media. Super interesting watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0-W5erEXw

Sounds like the dude has plans, which is great because I would like to consume as much about this universe as possible.

Yeah his approach to make all the dialogue into bite size chunks works very well for the pacing. You never have to read through a huge wall of text - even stuff that's a longer speech is often broken up by interjections from other characters or your skills.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hit my first 3% success chance check out of pure luck :stare:

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

EorayMel posted:

I hit my first 3% success chance check out of pure luck :stare:

Well how else would you hit it?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bill Posters posted:

Well how else would you hit it?

some of us gamers rely on skill :colbert:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Your partner just threw you the keys to your patrol vehicle. It’s a cool moment, but Benny Shitfingers drops them in the sewage. Vehicle inoperable. Mob boss flips a coin in your direction: here’s a tip rent-a-cop. Blam, he pokes your eye out with it. It’s incredibly uncool to not catch things.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
*the lookin’ ball*

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I think that's the only one I passed. The only time I considered restarting was the drat dice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you don't reload after being racist at kim you're a monster

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

yeah i try not to savescum, but my reflexives took over there

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I kept going, because I knew in my soul that if I kept on the good path, Kim knew I didn't mean it. I hope :(

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
By some weird quirk I never had the physique to (major spoilers) finish the quest for the lady in the church, so I never found out in-game that Harry lost his memory because of the Pale (I had that spoiled for me later on). Did Harry do all his crazy poo poo, like wrecking his squad car, because he knew he was going to forget himself and didn't mind leaving the mess for the guy he'd become? Or did Harry do it just because he's a general fuckup and felt like it?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Eason the Fifth posted:

By some weird quirk I never had the physique to (major spoilers) finish the quest for the lady in the church, so I never found out in-game that Harry lost his memory because of the Pale (I had that spoiled for me later on). Did Harry do all his crazy poo poo, like wrecking his squad car, because he knew he was going to forget himself and didn't mind leaving the mess for the guy he'd become? Or did Harry do it just because he's a general fuckup and felt like it?

That's never confirmed btw and is just one of a couple of theories

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eason the Fifth posted:

I feel like if Harry was the sort of person to do the first question, it would make the second question true by default anyway.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Crappy Jack posted:

I feel like if Harry was the sort of person to do the first question, it would make the second question true by default anyway.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the second question. More specifically, I meant, did he go about all his new-in-town drunk bender bullshit because that was just his personality, and then accidentally lose his memory to the Pale? (Or, third option, did he wipe his memory intentionally to clear himself of his guilt?) But I like that reason is never specifically addressed, as it makes Old Harry as dynamic as New Harry. Old Harry's exactly the kind of guy who'd go on the best bender of his life if he knew he'd never have to face the consequences, but he's also the kind of guy who'd kill a lot of himself to escape his guilt. Or just trip drunk over his shoelaces and...im-pale himself. :haw:

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 10, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Eason the Fifth posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the second question. More specifically, I meant, did he go about all his new-in-town drunk bender bullshit because that was just his personality, and then accidentally lose his memory to the Pale? (Or, third option, did he wipe his memory intentionally to clear himself of his guilt?) But I like that reason is never specifically addressed, as it makes Old Harry as dynamic as New Harry. Old Harry's exactly the kind of guy who'd go on the best bender of his life if he knew he'd never have to face the consequences, but he's also the kind of guy who'd kill a lot of himself to escape his guilt. Or just trip drunk over his shoelaces and...im-pale himself. :haw:

It's implied that Harry intentionally destroyed his own memory. In the final conversation with your team you can find out that this isn't the first blackout bender you've had but it is easily the worst and they speculate that the earlier ones were you doing test runs in preparation

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Eason the Fifth posted:

Serious spoilers below. Beware, first-timers.
I probably have the timeline totally wrong, but in my head it goes like this:
Harry had been holding it together by an increasingly frayed thread ever since his lady left him ~5 years ago. At first, he could cope by throwing himself into his work (If she's going to leave me because I'm just a poor-rear end policeman in a broke-rear end city, then I'm going to loving be the best policeman, even if I am still poor as gently caressmaybe she'll take me back). Later, when this was no longer enough, he started adding in drugs and booze. Right before the game starts, Harry had been assigned a series of phenomenally stupid cases. For what was supposed to be a major crimes/serious investigative unit, THE COUCH IN AN UNEXPECTED LOCATION clearly got on his nerves and that one, mixed with his inability to solve THE SQUARE BULLET HOLE MURDERS, led him to snap during THE UNSOLVABLE CASE. Beating the poo poo out of a suspect with his ledger in a drug-fueled impotent rage against the world moment. The events of Disco Elysium come basically right after that, but he is so completely blackout drunk that the blackouts start to spill backwards in to his long term memories and start drowning those as well.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think the drinking began well before the divorce and contributed to it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

harry abused booze and speed long before her, but otherwise, yeah, that's how I see it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

sebzilla posted:

As opposed to a bar at the bottom of the screen? At a guess I'd say it's because 20+ years ago CRPGs were played on machines with such crappy resolution that they needed the full width of the screen to have reasonably legible text without taking an obscene amount of area away from the main game display or having 2 words per line. And then tradition is a hell of a thing to break.

Another thing to consider is that back in those days widescreen monitors weren't really a thing, so a sidebar took up a lot of horizontal real estate on the screen. Now that widescreen monitors are the default, we have more horizontal space to spare than vertical space to spare so the sidebar looks a lot better.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think the drinking began well before the divorce and contributed to it.

Harry’s crisis begins before that even. Drinking and substance abuse isn’t the root cause, the root cause is his problem with love that’s an existential crisis that’s tied up with his identity.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Horny Game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i've seen a lot of people say this, but i really disagree. the racism is in harry's head already, which is why you have to pass a check to keep it inside. if you say it, then you have to own up to it when you follow kim outside. the conversation with kim is where you can confront your latent racism and and doing so is a meaningful step in becoming a better person. of course, you can also double down it, and if you do that, then you're a monster.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

EorayMel posted:

Horny Game.

Kim Kitsuragi has become one of my favorite characters in all of literature.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

Kim Kitsuragi has become one of my favorite characters in all of literature.

it took me forever and a hint to notice that he's got a literal halo in his portrait, and yet after seeing it I can't imagine it any other way. saint kitsuragi

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

World War Mammories posted:

it took me forever and a hint to notice that he's got a literal halo in his portrait, and yet after seeing it I can't imagine it any other way. saint kitsuragi

Jean also has one, but it's square. It's fitting, you'd have to be a saint to be Harry's partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's just light distortion. they're both extremely wealthy. kim is into the revancholian equivalent of bitcoin