Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

people talking about "benchmark this" and "overclock that"

I just want to gpu for pete's sake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Are there any 3080s with multiple hdmi 2.1 ports that support all those bells and whistles with multiple monitors?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
All the Asus models come with two HDMI 2.1 ports.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The Gigabyte models also have 2x HDMI.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Has anyone tested whether both ports can run with full bandwidth at the same time yet?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Knot My President! posted:

people talking about "benchmark this" and "overclock that"

I just want to gpu for pete's sake

Same :(

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

repiv posted:

Has anyone tested whether both ports can run with full bandwidth at the same time yet?

I haven't seen any info either way on this.

Which makes sense, since I doubt many people own two C9's, which AFAIK are right now the only HDMI 2.1 enabled displays available.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

DrDork posted:

C9's, which AFAIK are right now the only HDMI 2.1 enabled displays available.

There are variety of TV models with HDMI 2.1 ports from different brands but regardless, you're likely not gonna find anyone owning more than one outside of a professional setting.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The only thing tempering my irritation at not yet receiving my 3080 since ordering on release day is that EKWB have yet to send out my waterblock and backplate.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone done any overview on coil whine? Saw some report it for the 3080 FE and TUF, seems like a common thing, but nothing super audible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ufarn posted:

Has anyone done any overview on coil whine? Saw some report it for the 3080 FE and TUF, seems like a common thing, but nothing super audible.

The few things I’ve read say that it goes away on its own after a bit of break in period.

We’ll see when my card comes I guess.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pivo posted:

https://www.3dmark.com/pr/370757

It is pretty neat to push the thing to power limits just on air

That's already >360W though. The room with my PC gets noticeably hotter while gaming now!
yeah i'm stuck at 100% on my vbios, hoping for a better one to appear soon

p sure i'm testing the memory wrong as i'm at 0 faults +115/+1300 on port royal. any memory-sensitive tests or games?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ufarn posted:

My 3090 FE has audible coil while with the stock 350W power limit of your somewhat near my case (NR200). It’s very audible at 400W but undervolted to 800 mV / ~280W to 300W you’d have to be next to the card to hear it. This will of course very card to card but I’m very happy, coil whine really annoys me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:toot: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2020/10/09/nvidia-refreshing-geforce-rtx-30-series-on-tsmcs-7-nm-process/

“Order volume is not small.”

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer is "no," but is there any reason to consider updating my GPU's BIOS if a newer version is out there? Card is working fine and I can't find a changelog anywhere for the newer BIOS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It would be funny if AMD bought Xilinx (in part) to get their TSMC capacity reservation.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer is "no," but is there any reason to consider updating my GPU's BIOS if a newer version is out there? Card is working fine and I can't find a changelog anywhere for the newer BIOS.

If you’re happy with how it’s working, I recommend not loving with it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The answer to updating a card's VBIOS is only do it if 1) your card has switchable BIOS chips, and/or 2) it's fixing an RMA-level issue.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

It would be funny if AMD bought Xilinx (in part) to get their TSMC capacity reservation.

If you’re happy with how it’s working, I recommend not loving with it.

another interesting advantage is that since FPGAs sell for $$$$ you can therefore justify extreme bleeding edge process use.

Assuming Su can handle integration right, it could mean that AMD gets their initial development for new processes paid by Uncle Sam

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Oh god, now my broken brain just wants to wait for this instead of a 3080 :psyduck:

e I won't of course but still

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I dont want to wait anymore for a card I might not get for who knows how many months. Guess I'm gonna grab an evga 2070 super off amazon and at least get to play cyberpunk on release since my current rig certainly wont be able to play it.

Ill do step up, and maybe get a card by next xmas so who knows!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

are there any big games coming out after CP2077 over the next 6 months?
i can see people waiting for a 7nm respin if they miss the boat on the current cards by CP2077 release.

lol at the thread analysts who were boasting about Nvidia's foresight in launching 2 months ahead of CP2077

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Watch Dogs looks pretty good and the FE cards come with it, not sure how good a game it is, but the city looks amazing.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

that's coming out before CP

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Lost Ark is going to get released in the West (with Amazon publishing), but that doesn't scream GPU hog to me.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If I end up having to RMA a 1080ti back to EVGA, any idea what I'll receive in it's place, assuming they no longer have any? Or is that unlikely at this point?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

searched around and a bunch of people have reported getting a 2080 or 2080 super back after RMAing their 1080ti

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Pivo posted:

https://www.3dmark.com/pr/370757

It is pretty neat to push the thing to power limits just on air

That's already >360W though. The room with my PC gets noticeably hotter while gaming now!
okay i pushed my card as far as i can with the current vbios:
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/388753

that's +130/+2350 and stable in PR most of the time, +115 is stable all the time in PR, 100 is all the time in every game tested so far, memory is at the limit and stable everywhere

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

okay i pushed my card as far as i can with the current vbios:
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/388753

that's +130/+2350 and stable in PR most of the time, +115 is stable all the time in PR, 100 is all the time in every game tested so far, memory is at the limit and stable everywhere

What’s your power draw look like maxed out?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

B-Mac posted:

What’s your power draw look like maxed out?
i was bouncing against the 360W wall according to gpu-z, i was hitting a 350 wall before but seem to have squeezed a bit more power out of it somehow

e: when i say memory is at the limit i mean if i push to +2400 i'll hit crashes then. 21352 according to gigabyte's tool, gpu-z reads it as 10676 ofc

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 11, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Pivo posted:

Right. So I have. Here's a better run. I think having a moving map popped out was interfering with frametime capture.

GPU usage remains far below 100%. I don't think it necessarily scales like that.

Surprising and confusing. Thanks for your work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I dont want to wait anymore for a card I might not get for who knows how many months. Guess I'm gonna grab an evga 2070 super off amazon and at least get to play cyberpunk on release since my current rig certainly wont be able to play it.

Ill do step up, and maybe get a card by next xmas so who knows!

EVGA cards are going for a premium at the moment simply because people don't care how much they overpay for them so long as the price is under the MSRP for a 3080 FTW3 Ultra.

The cheapest option on PCPP at the moment is this: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/88drxr/evga-geforce-rtx-2070-super-8-gb-black-gaming-video-card-08g-p4-3071-kr

Amusingly and maddeningly enough, EVGA 2060S cards are *more expensive*.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

p sure i'm testing the memory wrong as i'm at 0 faults +115/+1300 on port royal. any memory-sensitive tests or games?

The memory has error detection and retransmission since GDDR5. You can clock it high enough that it encounters corruption on the bus but it will automatically retransmit. It will run degraded rather than crashing (to a certain extent).

Do your scores reliably get an uplift at +1300 vs. lower clocks?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I guess the 7NM TSMC process is how nvidia gives you a 3080ti. I won’t cancel my preorder but I’ll feel pretty dumb if nvidia comes out with a faster, cooler and more plentiful 3080ti in 6 months.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Tech Jesus finally did a teardown of the FTW3 3080: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX1spw5_IX0

The serial number on the card begins with "2014." Makes you wonder if they've really been sitting on these since April.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 11, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fauxtool is the real hero we need in these troubled times.

Installed and works!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I almost bought custom PSU cables to make my build even prettier and before I checked out I realized I have a problem.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Anyone who wants a Strix card should be turning your bots and F5 keys on newegg. They’re periodically going on sale at random. Like 2:37 AM EST last night. They drop between 5-7 at a time.

Micro Centers have them too but you gotta go to the store and hope it’s in stock at the time. Feels like every country is getting Strix cards except Canada. Even Aussies are getting theirs.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I almost bought custom PSU cables to make my build even prettier and before I checked out I realized I have a problem.

I bought a really expensive case (Sliger SM580) so I would stop buying cases and tinkering with my build. I too had a problem.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

All I want are PCIe cables for my Corsair PSU that aren’t several plugs on one cable.

CableMods wants to charge like 30 dollar shipping for a 7 dollar cable and has the worst mobile site ever for actually finding products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does this seem like a valid time spy score at 1440p? I can't seem to figure out how to see what other users are putting up.