Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Thanqol posted:

Am I seeing this right? $77 for 10 necron warriors when they're $65 in the Recruit Edition?

So:

Box set of 10 Push Fit Necron Warriors and 3 Scarab Swarm Bases: £29

Recruit edition: 10 Necron Warriors, 3 Scarab Swarms, 5 Assault Intercessors, Royal Warden, Primaris Lieutenant: £32.50

So for literally £3.50 more you get a space marine character and squad?

Why would you ever buy the box set of 10 warriors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Kitchner posted:

Why would you ever buy the box set of 10 warriors?
The recruit edition will get quietly dropped for 10E in a couple of years, the warriors box is here for at least a decade

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

xtothez posted:

The recruit edition will get quietly dropped for 10E in a couple of years, the warriors box is here for at least a decade

I honestly think by then they may have sold so many you can't move for a cheap deal with them on ebay

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol i just bought 10 warriors and scarabs from someone's indomitus box set for 15 pounds last week and it seems like a bargain now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BaronVanAwesome posted:

We were talkin' about PEWTER and how much PEWTER OWNS*, and after stripping many, many, many second-hand models over the last week, come with me on a very quick photo journey of why everyone should be happy that like everything is plastic now. Even though pewter owns*. Blister photos not mine, everything else I photo'd today for our exciting journey together into nostalgia.

This is neat, thx

Though what exactly are the "pins" you mention? Like, take a bobby pin and ram it through the wing into the torso? How easy was it to work with Pewter figures? Pewter is on the soft end, but it still had to be tough to work with. If you knew what you were doing, could you solder pieces together?

Has GW always price gouged? I can't figure out if 3 pounds for a single space marine is fair or not.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
"Pinning" is the term used for drilling small holes in 2 pieces of a model and glueing some kind of "pin" in(frequently a chunk of paperclip, but any thin metal rod works). Because the pin is embedded in both pieces of the model it will hold it in place way, way better than something only held together by glue.

Edit: To be more exact about the process: You start by drilling a hole into the "main" piece of the model, usually the body. You use a very small drillbit and a "pin vice" hand held drill or sometimes a dremel tool. How deep you need to drill depends on the length of the "pin" you are going to use, which is usually a guestimate based on the weight of the piece you are attaching. You glue the pin into that hole. You then drill a matching hole onto the piece you need to attach, such as an arm. Put some super glue in the hole and fit the arm onto the piece of pin sticking out of the body, and bham, you now have an arm that isn't going to come off without some major loving trauma.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 11, 2020

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had so many of those metal Steel Legion troopers. I think I still have an old metal Carnifex and Hive Tyrant around here somewhere too.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Ugh. The old Eldar war walkers were insanity.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Funzo posted:

I had so many of those metal Steel Legion troopers. I think I still have an old metal Carnifex and Hive Tyrant around here somewhere too.

I have the 3rd edition metal carnifex and tyrant that I had converted with old dragon wings all floating around in pieces in my bits boxes.

Also 2 of the old metal tyrant guard which were probably my least favourite models I ever bought. Just so drat ugly. I had an idea to cut one up to repose it to resemble the newer hive/tyrant guard, but I got as far as sawing the leg joins before deciding all the effort would be better saved painting the 3rd edition models that are, actually good: raveners biovores and zoanthropes.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The old 3rd edition devastator box was plastic marines that weigh next to nothing with giant chunks of metal for guns being held in front of them. My plasma cannon dudes would fall on their faces constantly.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Bladeguard Vets are so fuckin cool

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
iirc you still gotta pin some of the big resin models from Forgeworld and a lot of people still pin models to bases for painting so you can have them stand on a base and then you can take them off to paint the base seperate. The pegs in the push fits accomplish this without drilling!

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I preordered some necron stuff from GW but haven’t gotten an email saying it shipped; is that normal? How long after the release day does it usually take to get your stuff?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

fashionly snort posted:

I preordered some necron stuff from GW but haven’t gotten an email saying it shipped; is that normal? How long after the release day does it usually take to get your stuff?

Usually it ships out on the Thursday before, but covid :iiam:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spiv posted:

Stop, I'm already stressed enough.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Bladeguard Vets are so fuckin cool

Nice! I'm about to convert mine to wolves, I put this dude together today but I can't find my greenstuff to finish his pelt and add one to cover up some chopping damage

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Spiv posted:

I built three for a friend with swapping weapon load outs. I had to double pin all the major pieces and fill the square base with lead beads to make it balance well.

So much pain.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Bloodthirster

The bloodthirster here was one of those models that had square "pegs" to fit the wings in that would TRICK YOU, SMALL CHILD SOMEHOW ABLE TO CONVINCE YOUR MOM TO BUY YOU TINY DEMONS into thinking that you didn't need to pin those huge wings on.

You did have to pin them.

Oh man this brings back some memories! My brother had that Bloodthirster, but there was no internet to tell us about pinning and we didn't live anywhere with a big modelling scene, so we just added more superglue when the wings fell off. I think in the end the metal surfaces weren't even touching, it was just two blobs of dried superglue being stuck to each other.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

fashionly snort posted:

I ordered stuff a little over a week ago, got a shipped notification but the tracking number never activated? Anyways it just got tossed on my porch yesterday, tracking number still doesn't work, who knows what's going on over there.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Spiv posted:

I maintain these were probably the worst metal miniatures for design and assembly. Other miniatures were heavier or with more pieces, but none of them involved trying to stick six different pieces onto a small central ball that was basically just a collection of joints. It was made worse by the fact that shape and design made pinning it really tedious, especially the legs because there was hardly room for pinning. Then you'd bump a lascannon, and the whole thing would suddenly explode into pieces.

I have one of these to repair and another to complete, not sure when I will ever have the fortitude for it:

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Ashcans posted:

Shared distaste for old war walkers

I still remember doing my first one. I think I was like 10, or 11, or something and just getting sooooo frustrated.

Azerban posted:

I ordered stuff a little over a week ago, got a shipped notification but the tracking number never activated? Anyways it just got tossed on my porch yesterday, tracking number still doesn't work, who knows what's going on over there.

I ordered a IK Warden on September 20th. On the 22nd, I got an e-mail saying it shipped. I have yet to receive the tracking number or package and waiting for Customer service to respond will take possibly up to two weeks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/11/sunday-preview-martian-souls/

Expensive weekend for the Bone Squad

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I'm buying that stupid as hell bunker for my fists. It's just so perfectly dumb.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

That C'tan base looks so drat fragile.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I hope someone eventually kitbashes/sculpts/whatever a version of that Convergence of Dominion that looks like what its concept art must have looked like before they started refining it to be easily cast in plastic, because it's a really neat-lookin' idea that suffers more than any other kit I can think of in recent memory from the physical realities of plastic injection moulding. I can only imagine seeing it next to the new range of Necron models is going to be like looking at a Duplo block next to Lego.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Azerban posted:

well I never got a shipped notification and it definitely didn’t get delivered yesterday so here’s hoping customer service doesn’t take weeks to respond!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Mine hasn't even shipped yet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ok I want to build a Kill Team collection from scratch including 2 boards with terrain that gives a lot of variety in teams and boards. Here's what I'm going with so far:

Recruit edition box - should give me enough for a Necrons team and a Space Marine team - $45

Ork Boyz + Ork Lootas - Good zerg team setup - $60

Plague Marines + pox walkers - $50

TT Combat terrain sets - Ruin sector + Broken Domicilium + Derelict Enclave. Splitting these over two boards should give a good variety of cover, height, and scatter. ~$70

https://ttcombat.com/collections/sci-fi-gothic/products/broken-domicilium

https://ttcombat.com/products/savage-domain-derelict-enclave?variant=29446358925335

Anything else I'm missing? Any better build options for those factions?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 11, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I mean as far as "what to buy to have two kill teams and be able to play at my house" goes that's pretty much it, though maybe not the most competitive teams thats fine for casual games. The only other thing I'd consider is buying a klill team token set to keep track of stuff like falling back, advancing, readying etc

If you ewant alternate terrain sets, look at the Necromunda style terrain from TTCombat, it has lots of walkways and stuff which is cool

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
All killteam boards should have some cargo containers imo. The GW ones look good and are relatively inexpensive! (although you can also just make some out of cardstock and plasticard *very* easily.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Bottom Liner posted:

Ok I want to build a Kill Team collection from scratch including 2 boards with terrain that gives a lot of variety in teams and boards. Here's what I'm going with so far:

Recruit edition box - should give me enough for a Necrons team and a Space Marine team - $45

Ork Boyz + Ork Lootas - Good zerg team setup - $60

Plague Marines + pox walkers - $50

TT Combat terrain sets - Ruin sector + Broken Domicilium + Derelict Enclave. Splitting these over two boards should give a good variety of cover, height, and scatter. ~$70

https://ttcombat.com/products/savage-domain-derelict-enclave?variant=29446358925335

Anything else I'm missing? Any better build options for those factions?

Heads up, you can find the First Strike box for $45 shipped, sell off the Marine sprues for around $40 on eBay, and end up with 3 Plague Marines, 6 Poxwalkers, a game board, and a (cardboard) cargo container for functionally free. Pretty drat good way to jump start that Kill Team, especially since you get a Blight Launcher and champ with a Plasma Gun / Powerfist out of it, both of which show up in pretty much every competitive DG list you're going to see.

One of the many tricks I have learned from trying to navigate this hobby while being poor as hell lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That would end up costing more for less models though. I want the recruit edition for the 10 Necron warriors and the Space Marine squad. If I got the 3 death guard models I'd still need to buy the $40 plague marine box, more pox walkers, and then also a necron box and space marine box.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
low key appreciate the new cheapest-tier starters actually give you enough models to actually use them in a regular game.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finished another model and made some more progress towards getting my scheme just right for my Death Guard army. I'm not in any rush to play, and I have a large pile of shame anyway, so I'm taking my time and learning as much as I can from each model. I haven't painted regularly since ~2014 so I have to relearn old lessons I've forgotten.

This latest marine was an attempt to make a distinct, potentially fungal look for the spiny growths. The progression is dark purple to red, then orange, then yellow. It looks neat enough, and when applied to the skulls it resembles old bones left to rot in the ground without bleaching. It's a neat effect, to me at least, and I think I'm going to carry it forward onto the WHFB skeletons I want to use as poxwalkers/plague bearers.

I played around with the canoptek alloy metallics this time, and while it looks fine, I think I like the older blue gentleman's bronze. I wanted to freehand bright fungal spores onto his cloak but I thought about trying to blend and highlight that properly along the folds and chickened out. I don't know what I'm doing with that blade so I need to go do some research on how to make that look nice.

The tiny marine's green started with rhinox hide brown, and I think it has the most depth compared to the newest marine's black basecoat

So there we are. I think as it stands I want to use Blue's metallics, Tiny's green, and the new guy's bone effects. The oldest on the left is a bit sloppy but I liked how his corrosion effects came out on the vents, so I may carry those forward too. Blue plague marines are still an attractive option to distinguish them from the usual too.

Then basing!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Oh wow baby plaguey is adorable next to his gigantic brothers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Those Plague marines look great, a bit like "whatt if wood elves were space marines", and to be fair forests are full of rotting stuff.

On the weekend I had my two newbie friends around and we played another doubles 40K game with my partner. The last game (which I posted about here) was my friends with the contents of the Elite Starter Set of Necrons and White Scars (10 Warriors, 3 Scarabs, 3 Destroyers, Plasmacyte, Overlord, 5 Assault Intercessors, 3 Outriders, 1 Captain) vs my Word Bearers (1 Dark Apostle, 5 CSM with chainswords, 5 Terminators with combi-plasma) and my partner's Space Wolves (Ragnar, 5 Assault Intercessors, 5 Terminators 3 with TH and 2 with claws).

This time we mixed the teams up and it was the two space marine factions vs the Necrons and Chaos. It proved to be interesting because basically we had all the shooting (warriors + terminators) but they had all the good melee.

The game started off well for us, with my terminators blowing up the space wolves intercessors (which I felt bad about because my partner had spent weeks painting them and they didn't do anything) and the destroyers mincing up the outriders. The other team was so convinced they were going to lose badly and quickly, that my partner actually went and got different models to use "in the second game".

Things then really tilted on their head in the 3rd turn, and the brawl in the middle of the board between basically everything bar the warriors and the scarabs ended up a net result of all the white scars being dead but all the Word Bearers were also dead. What was left was Ragnar, 3 Wolf Guard Terminators, the overlord, the warriors, and 3 scarabs.

What we then found out is particularly in these smaller games the fact space wolves can 3" HI on all units and can pay 2CP for a 6" HI is really powerful, and the terminators made mince meat out of the Necrons. Ragnar decided he was going to take the day off and refused to charge a 5" charge twice, only succeeding on a short charge to kill my Dark Apostle. Maybe he thought the other fights were beneath him.

We were playing a GT pack Incursion mission, but I ignored secondaries (as this was the first game with stratagems) so we were playing with 5 objectives and it was hold one, hold two, hold more. The end result of the game was exactly 40-40 thanks to the Scarabs being MVP and netting us 5 points in basically every single round of the game.

The end result was my friend and I were happy with a draw because while we started strong we were hammered in the second half of the game and were sure we were toast, and the other team was happy because they went from "We're going to lose by turn 3" to "I can't believe we drew".

A very fun game overall, and next time it will be the Word Bearers and the White Scars vs the Space Wolves and Necrons. Due to the size of the table we are limited to 1,000 point games, but right now our friends can only field about 320 points each anyway so it's not a problem. However my partner does have 1,000 points of Space Wolves and at the end of this month I'll have 1,000+ points of Word Bearers (with Daemons bulking that out I guess) but to do a 2,000 point doubles game we will have to travel to theirs as my friend has a big enough table.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Question for the hams guys, I haven't played since I think 7th edition? Anyway, when I did play I had a necron army, one of my friends played grey knights, I always had trouble fighting him, granted I picked my army based on what I thought was cool not useful, what are the best ways to fight grey knights? We might end up having a match using his 8th edition codex sometime soon, and this time I'd like to have a chance lol.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Tarantula posted:

Question for the hams guys, I haven't played since I think 7th edition? Anyway, when I did play I had a necron army, one of my friends played grey knights, I always had trouble fighting him, granted I picked my army based on what I thought was cool not useful, what are the best ways to fight grey knights? We might end up having a match using his 8th edition codex sometime soon, and this time I'd like to have a chance lol.

I mean new Necrons vs Grey Knights in 9th edition is tough for Grey Knights in some ways but tough on the Necrons in others.

It's tough on grey Knights because anything that isn't a terminator is going to get blown off the board, and if you bring the nightbringer (and you should) then even a Paladin bomb will be turned into red paste. If it's a list with blobs of 20 necron warriors then the terminator squads will find it hard to claim objectives.

On the other hand you don't get reanimation protocols from psychic damage and the GK are one of the few armies confident to be able to kill the Nightbringer in one turn (a GK Grand Master in a Dreadknight can theoretically do 3 wounds in psychic, shooting, and combat on its own).

It heavily depends on what your friend runs, if it's like strike squads with some terminators new Necrons should smash them apart. If it's what I suspect will be the GK list until their next codex which is lots of smaller terminator squads, the Necrons can contest the objectives better. I think it's favourable to the Necrons overall but you have to watch out for all that psychic damage.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If I had to haze tabletop gamers I would make them build the old metal gnoblar scraplauncher without pinning. Then if I can break it with one solid jab with a chopstick I scream at them like Gordon Ramsey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Kitchner posted:

I mean new Necrons vs Grey Knights in 9th edition is tough for Grey Knights in some ways but tough on the Necrons in others.

It's tough on grey Knights because anything that isn't a terminator is going to get blown off the board, and if you bring the nightbringer (and you should) then even a Paladin bomb will be turned into red paste. If it's a list with blobs of 20 necron warriors then the terminator squads will find it hard to claim objectives.

On the other hand you don't get reanimation protocols from psychic damage and the GK are one of the few armies confident to be able to kill the Nightbringer in one turn (a GK Grand Master in a Dreadknight can theoretically do 3 wounds in psychic, shooting, and combat on its own).

It heavily depends on what your friend runs, if it's like strike squads with some terminators new Necrons should smash them apart. If it's what I suspect will be the GK list until their next codex which is lots of smaller terminator squads, the Necrons can contest the objectives better. I think it's favourable to the Necrons overall but you have to watch out for all that psychic damage.

Hmm I don't have many units to choose from (dam fun game being expensive!), but I can definately bring blobs of warriors and a nightbringers thx.