Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why that's supposed to be such a big bragging point. Double floating point precision is available to be used by most games, it's just a data type. The reason most games don't is because it's costly in CPU cycles to do floating point math which most games do not need because you don't need .000000000001 accuracy on where the player is standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Popete posted:

I don't get why that's supposed to be such a big bragging point. Double floating point precision is available to be used by most games, it's just a data type. The reason most games don't is because it's costly in CPU cycles to do floating point math which most games do not need because you don't need .000000000001 accuracy on where the player is standing.

It also doesn't solve the core problem presented by "thing far away" in rendering: the transformation step to take the object's position and project it onto the screen is where poo poo breaks down because it's done on the GPU in 32-bit (or less) floating point math. If you get too far away from the center of the camera's universe, polygons get jiggly because the math breaks down. It's why PS1 games looked so jittery - the transformation math wasn't high precision, so it ended up with wobbly animations everywhere.

So, unless they move the universe around into 32-bit space before rendering, they'll end up right where they started. If they've solved the basic math for moving the origin of the scene around to make the camera's transformation math happy... then what the gently caress does it matter if they have 64-bit positions in the first place?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Popete posted:

Doubly funny since, after they've wasted all those cycles on moving 3×64bit data around, they then have to waste more cycles to convert them back to 32-bit to be fed into the physics engine and rendering pipeline.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Holy poo poo that’s good

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

It means noooo loading screeens! Never been done before! Except there will be loading screens between systems. Also, travel within the system takes 20 real-time minutes so there might as well have been a loading screen. Also, hosting the whole system in one map has ruined their ability to deliver more than 50 players per server, or implement any kind of object persistence, or any kind of NPC traffic, or basically any game whatsoever. TOTALLY WORTH IT

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Doubly funny since, after they've wasted all those cycles on moving 3×64bit data around, they then have to waste more cycles to convert them back to 32-bit to be fed into the physics engine and rendering pipeline.

It's probably a pretty significant contributor to why the game runs like crap.

Leave it to CIG to think that using a native data type is something never been done before.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

2017:
Video
Background Universe Simulation

2020:
Not even a video
“The Background Universe Simulation”

I love how Tony Z’s mind-melding 'quanta' paradise has just become... Elite’s background sim. Forget life cycles. Forget recognising old Uncle Tarp on his way to scrape out his space pipe again (as he looks grim about the current price of Obtanium). Forget all the grand space operas and living breathing wombat farms. It’s just some market fluctuations and some pirates turning up in predictable places...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just to continue harping on CIG, this is why generally you don't use floating point types in programming unless you absolutely need the precision (usually for complex math functions).

Wikipedia posted:

Using double-precision floating-point variables and mathematical functions (e.g., sin, cos, atan2, log, exp and sqrt) are slower than working with their single precision counterparts. One area of computing where this is a particular issue is parallel code running on GPUs. For example, when using NVIDIA's CUDA platform, calculations with double precision take, depending on a hardware, approximately 2 to 32 times as long to complete compared to those done using single precision.[4]

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

boviscopophobic posted:

This was pointed out on the sc refunds subreddit, but Croberts offhandedly absolved SQ42 of The Pledge.

"We also communicate way more than any other developer or publisher than I am aware of in terms of work and progress on Star Citizen, which is the game "The Pledge" was referring to..."

I really wish everything about CR want so skeevy feeling, where everything he says is kind of cagey and questionable and somehow always seeming like he's trying to get away with something he shouldn't be.

Just make a video game, man. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/XiLKLlx.mp4

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Look out, Cyberpunk 2077!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

I know they haven't thought of this, but what happens when over the course of a year tens/hundreds of thousands of players fly into a forest and drop a coffee cup? You're going to track all of that and load it up on demand anytime someone flys down there?

Chris still promising thousands of players in a single instance. Just gotta spin up them server.

Bethesda games do this "save the location of every object" and it's great at first but after about 3/4 of the way through the game the saving and loading takes forever and you run into lots of random crashes as you go through doors.

But I'm sure CIG can do better because they have a track record of making highly detailed games and MMOs. My favorite one that I liked was

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I post where I wanna post, no places are too horrible. :)

But what if there are spiders?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo posted:

What if there are Spiders-Man?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thoatse posted:

What if there are Spiders-Man?

Those spiders are clearly in a wet suit and getting ready to visit The Titanic.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Which brings me to a question I hope was answered during the AMA with CIG.

Can I use my land claims under water or do I need to buy special under water land claims?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Boy, the chairbear's letter is not going down well with Citizens. That's substantially more negativity than I expected. It seems like the hardest core of finger-wagging cultists really needs some fresh video features to get their motors running, if they're going to have to shout down this much dissent.

I know we say this every year but CIG and Chris in particular really hasn't clued into the fact that nobody cares about Squadron 42. Even the people who were moderately interested in it have accepted that it's never coming out. All the fan base wants is more content for the actual game, which CIG seems completely dead set on not delivering. Madness. Imagine how much farther they could have been, if they'd never bothered with a second game. Why, they might have two star systems completed!

I've said that for a while and agree, the vast majority of backers want to live out their custom life, flying the ships they paid $1000's of dollars for to get in the game.

Now I'm sure there are people out there looking forward to Sq52, but those people are the vast minority, and they are not funding the game with extra ship purchases for use in the persistent universe area.

CRs inability to make the game people want will eventually hurt him. I figured it would have hurt more by now. But it will be worth it when he releases Sq44, with a huge smile and fanfare.. and when people finish it in 6 hours and come back asking for the PU because that's what they really want... it will be pretty fun.

However there is some additional info that Erin once outlined in that as soon as they released Ep 1 of the single player game the teams were immediately going to start working on Ep 2... not the PU. So the actual PU work could be hugely distant; and when you think about what "in the distant future" means in CIG time... maybe your grandkids will enjoy it. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Then I am very much not posting there. :lol:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

How did I miss this? :stare: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/hxsdf1/or_maybe_you_prefer_tayloberts_swift/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

All this time it turns out Chris is just a puppet , Lesnick is running the show , ever since he won that lawsuit against the local all you can eat restaurant He had enough to buy out Chris

As long as Ben gets his spiritual successor to wing commander nothing else matters

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

Excuse me — did you not witness the revolution Interruption Subsumption Tech on display?! There’s more gameplay possibilities there than in most commercially released titles!!!

I did not see that. But it was cool once or twice in GTA4 I guess. :shrug:

They should just do a live action version of the cutscenes at this point and play movie mpgs between the missions like the old wing Commander games.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Those spiders are clearly in a wet suit and getting ready to visit The Titanic.

That's super creepy. No thank you!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Why don't y'all go build Star Citizen in unreal?

Procedural planets:
https://youtu.be/_IqkePmKdAg

Large scale travel between planet sized objects in a solar system:
https://youtu.be/XI9EsCuHHn0

I mean, gosh, if only CIG used UE4.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

I did not see that. But it was cool once or twice in GTA4 I guess. :shrug:

They should just do a live action version of the cutscenes at this point and play movie mpgs between the missions like the old wing Commander games.

The missions in SQ42 are actually just .mpgs the game part is picking what to eat at the cafeteria between missions.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

The missions in SQ42 are actually just .mpgs the game part is picking what to eat at the cafeteria between missions.

If that's the case I would be really upset if one breakfast I noticed my eggs were identical to the space man next to me. My immersion would be ruined.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

That's super creepy. No thank you!

To be fair octopi are the spiders of the sea.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Wired: Amazon Wants to ‘Win at Games.’ So Why Hasn’t It?

quote:

But Frazzini wasn’t done. He still needed his game engine. In the spring of 2015, Amazon turned to a German studio called Crytek, which had produced a successful first-person shooter using its own software architecture, CryEngine. Crytek was in dire financial straits, according to Kotaku, struggling even to pay its employees. Amazon came to the rescue, reportedly sinking between $50 million and $70 million into a CryEngine license. The company gave the software a new name: Lumberyard.

While Twitch turned out to be the “best decision Amazon ever made when it came to games,” one former employee said, Lumberyard proved one of its worst. “It’s one of those things that, on paper, sounds good,” another source told me. “We’ll have our own engine. It will feed into AWS. We’ll use it to build our games, and we’ll feed those games into Twitch. We’ll make all this money.”

But developing an engine and a game at the same time would be like repairing an airliner in mid-flight. It would mean planning out features that the engine might not be able to implement for weeks, months, or years to come. “What’s missing is the sanity check of someone with experience in the games industry,” the source added.

quote:

Frazzini’s engineers in Seattle began rebuilding CryEngine piece by piece. “The engine was a nightmare,” one former employee said. “No one on the development team liked working with it.” Even some basic functions, like rotating a camera in the game or testing individual pieces of software one by one, didn’t really work. Engineers were moved off games and onto Lumberyard in a process sometimes referred to as “talent Tetris.”

Development slowed by as much as 50 percent. “They called it the Lumberyard tax,” one former employee said. Another told me, “We don’t even have a hammer. How are we supposed to build this house? ‘Well, you’re going to have to wait for the hammer to be built.’ ” Even in 2015, sources said, whispers abounded that it would be a while before Lumberyard was ready for prime time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Chris Roberts is a truly evil scumbag. Somehow, he continues to surprise me each time he addresses the backers. He's really pushing the boundaries of how hard you can gaslight a community. Did suppressing his sense of shame so effectively come after decades of practice, or is it more a result of genetics that he never really had a sense of shame? Either way, it is truly stunning.

Yeah I'm just now watching The Briefing Room™ and holy poo poo Roberts is engaged in some full-on marketing propaganda here.

They open by saying that "well, we talked to a lot of the guys and came up with some great ideas, but there's no art to it, so we can't really show it off"

Translation: WE ARE STILL WORKING ON THE DESIGN DOC. WE HAVE NO GAME MADE YET.

"So I got with Chris and we built it out a bit"

Translation: WE PANICKED WHEN WE REALIZED WE HAVE NO PROGRESS TO SHOW, SO WE MADE ANOTHER FAKE MOCKUP DEMO TRAILER.

Chris "Everybody is super busy, we want to make the game, we don't want to spend a huge amount of time making assets just for a show"

Why would the assets for a demo of your game that is almost done be just for show?

Translation: They haven't even started on SQ42 yet. All they've ever had is bullshit trailers. And yet, if the only choices are "show no progress" or "make up trailers that have nothing to do with the game and eat up game development", between the two of those, the latter looks better. So even though they recognize they're getting nothing done... they're going back to making more bullshit trailers because otherwise they look REALLY incompetent.

Chris is a lying thief. This is white collar crime.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

In practice, it's very sandboxy. Think Thief/Deus-Ex approach to the environment. Meaning lore, choices, and systemic opportunities. Not Titanfall.

Lots, lots of emphasis on interactive environment, and I am not sure how much they are overselling it or not. Terminals, consoles, systems (gravity, movable cover, lights, lore/logs, etc). Unsure how much of it is dressing, how much is functional and how much really is important in the context of the gameplay. For instance, if combat is too easy, I don't think people will bother doing a Guardians of the Galaxy and disable gravity, or screw around with server racks if a knife to the throat gets the job done.

On the topic of AI and combat :

It's pretty much what we have on the PU, except it's actually working.

Bakers really are suckers

They're also pushing this as evidence of next-level AI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-uR8lJFbMY&t=3292s

1. There are other games that came out years ago that do things like this.

2. I PROMISE you this is the only NPC in the game currently working this way, and he's hard coded to respond to player approach or player walking away. That's it. Hardcoded responses. This isn't AI. This is basic video game level scripting 101.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 11, 2020

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

To be fair octopi are the spiders of the sea.

Technically sea spiders are the spiders of the sea

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah but you see compared to RDR2, Cyberpunk etc this is all fine

Incredibly petty and passive-aggressive.

Also, here's the thing Chris, CYBERPUNK HASN'T SOLD $3,000 DLC BEFORE THE GAME CAME OUT!

Popete posted:

:lol: just straight up comparing Star Citizen to the moon landing, invoking JFKs speech. This guy has absolutely lost it.

And like Man in Kennedy’s Moonshot speech, we have achieved a lot already in our quest for the stars; 64bit mathematical precision, allowing our game to have both millimeter detail and billions of kilometer scale, something no other commercial game engine has.

No one has ever used 64bit variables, this may be mans greatest triumph.

Holy poo poo.

gently caress you, Chris.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 11, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Bethesda games do this "save the location of every object" and it's great at first but after about 3/4 of the way through the game the saving and loading takes forever and you run into lots of random crashes as you go through doors.

But I'm sure CIG can do better because they have a track record of making highly detailed games and MMOs. My favorite one that I liked was

This actually made saves unloadable in Oblivion.

Ben already is THE Wing Commander, ask his local hooters /KFC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Popete posted:

Its a bragging point because its literally the only thing that CIG has actually done on a technology front, is cram 64-bit numbers into crysis in order to try to force a square peg into a round hole and render spaces bigger than they should be doing.

Its the wrong approach to solving the problem AND its nothing new, but Chris is an idiot and most people don't know how games work so it is what it is :v:

Games do a whole lot of things and should be designed around the problem they're trying to solve, and most games are smart about that. But Chris wants everything to be "real" which really means he's too stupid to understand the need for efficiency or how to design efficient systems, and his approach is just to demand EVERYTHING and expect it to somehow work out if he hires enough 20-somethings fresh out of college to be his Senior devs.

HexiDave posted:

It also doesn't solve the core problem presented by "thing far away" in rendering: the transformation step to take the object's position and project it onto the screen is where poo poo breaks down because it's done on the GPU in 32-bit (or less) floating point math. If you get too far away from the center of the camera's universe, polygons get jiggly because the math breaks down. It's why PS1 games looked so jittery - the transformation math wasn't high precision, so it ended up with wobbly animations everywhere.

So, unless they move the universe around into 32-bit space before rendering, they'll end up right where they started. If they've solved the basic math for moving the origin of the scene around to make the camera's transformation math happy... then what the gently caress does it matter if they have 64-bit positions in the first place?

Tippis posted:

:hf: mah mans

Its an extremely stupid and shortsighted brute force approach. And Chris BRAGS about that. Just lmao.

Popete posted:

Just to continue harping on CIG, this is why generally you don't use floating point types in programming unless you absolutely need the precision (usually for complex math functions).

Well, that quote says you can get away with single-precision (still floats, just 32-bit) and I believe lots of game engines do use floats, but pushing to 64-bit is a really hamfisted solution.

"How do we handle a large galaxy space in a game engine?"

"MAKE GAME NUMBAR BIGGER!"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 11, 2020

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

Which brings me to a question I hope was answered during the AMA with CIG.

Can I use my land claims under water or do I need to buy special under water land claims?

you will be able to dry out lakes to make the ground habitable. that can be done bucket by bucket (just fill a bucket with water and fly it into space) or with a special ship that has a giant hose attached to the front and a fishtank on top. (the rare fish you caught can later be sold in auctions, the junk fish will be made into captain iglo fishsticks, yes captain iglo will deffo be in the game i confirm it).

the surplus water you just flush down the ship toilet.

congratulations you just destroyed an eco system commando that will deffo be in game but watch out for space greenpeace oh boy this will be the best sim ever chris has thought about everything

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

That's the stuff :five:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Praying here that the Calder´s skin is a thick as Chris´and double down on trying to make a game out of this loving poo poo: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/c...utm_term=j8jues

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

quote:

Fun fact: The development of Star Citizen / Squadron 42 has now taken longer than the entirety of the original Wing Commander series, including 5 main titles, several expansions and some spin-offs, including the two Privateer games.

Sure, the scope of SC is much bigger, but so is their budget and number of employees, not even to mention the much more powerful development tools and software they're working with now mi. And there is still no release in sight for either of the two games.

:lol:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How long do I have to wait before a big Citizen backer undergoes a savage breakdown like Ned Flanders? There has to be a tipping-point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Spectrum posted:

All you have to do is talk, guys. Keep talking... and bravo!

That is exactly all that CIG has been doing for the past 9 years tho.