Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Miss posted:

how am i just now learning how great marina sirtis is

Because she was criminally under/misused in TNG so we don't think about her as much. Imagine TNG if Troi was like she was in Picard. Smart, forceful, taking zero poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

Because she was criminally under/misused in TNG so we don't think about her as much. Imagine TNG if Troi was like she was in Picard. Smart, forceful, taking zero poo poo.

That’s pretty much Guinan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s pretty much Guinan.

And Guinan was a way better counselor than Troi.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I've just hit Night Terrors on my TNG rewatch, the first half was pretty good up until we got a materialist science explanation for the goings on and they resolved the plot with the explosion. Out of interest, are there any horror episodes where the crew encounter something completely beyond their comprehension and are just happy to make it out alive at all? Where Silence Has Lease came close, up until Nagilum being laid all his cards on the table and explained his deal, though it was still pretty good overall (his face alone did a ton of work, pretty unverving in a Lynchian kind of way even if his voice kind of let it down)

Powered Descent posted:

I can only imagine this confrontation as having exactly the same mood and tone (and even the same camera movements) as the famous "I'm getting my men" moment from :bsg:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uNjaeNESRY&t=101s

Goddamn this was a good show

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

multijoe posted:

Out of interest, are there any horror episodes where the crew encounter something completely beyond their comprehension and are just happy to make it out alive at all?

I’d also say Where No One Has Gone Before, where they pretty much just beg the Traveler to help them get out of the incomprehensible dream hell that wasn’t ever really explained.

I also kinda wish the aliens from Schisms were left with a bit more mystery. They got a little deflated when they were just subspace creatures that could be scienced away.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

multijoe posted:

Out of interest, are there any horror episodes where the crew encounter something completely beyond their comprehension and are just happy to make it out alive at all?

"Q Who?" sorta falls into this bucket even though after the initial shock the Borg end up being pretty comprehensible, just different

edit: this was such a cool effect

Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 10, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I’d also say Where No One Has Gone Before, where they pretty much just beg the Traveler to help them get out of the incomprehensible dream hell that wasn’t ever really explained.

I also kinda wish the aliens from Schisms were left with a bit more mystery. They got a little deflated when they were just subspace creatures that could be scienced away.

Okay this is what I get for skipping S1

Crusader posted:

"Q Who?" sorta falls into this bucket even though after the initial shock the Borg end up being pretty comprehensible, just different

Yeah I wouldn't go as far as to call it horror, but it was still a pretty episode about the crew being completely out of their depth. Maybe because the scripts generally have such a self-satisfied tone where they can usually wrangle themselves out of any situation through their own superior psychology and science it's really refreshing to have episodes where the crew just get completely owned

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Grand Fromage posted:

And Guinan was a way better counselor than Troi.
And by a lot too

We saw how Troi completely lost her poo poo when she at one point loses her empathic abilities and was just going to quit

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Troi got a lot better when she became more Marina Sirtis playing psychic Marina Sirtis. Unfortunately that was mainly for the movies.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

And by a lot too

We saw how Troi completely lost her poo poo when she at one point loses her empathic abilities and was just going to quit

Troi not even waiting for the space phenomena that was obviously causing the loss of her powers to be resolved before going 'okay gently caress this, I'm out' was inadvertently really funny

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

multijoe posted:

Troi not even waiting for the space phenomena that was obviously causing the loss of her powers to be resolved before going 'okay gently caress this, I'm out' was inadvertently really funny
That and her just being mean to everyone

Oh and at no point does she ever get to the place where she can accept herself without her abilities. She just gets them back and the episode ends. So everyone better hope that never happens again or she's going to lose it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I see that episode as a stunted attempt to discuss what it's like to live with a disability

The whole part where she's mean to everyone makes perfect sense to me even though it's funny in the context of the episode

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Maybe that's what was intended, but wow if that was the case they miss their mark.

Kind of a similar problem to DS9's 'Melora'

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Absolutely, Trek has never dealt with disabilities or depression well and nothing has changed about that. Remember that time bologna Torres almost killed herself, then her best friend harassed the poo poo out of her and she shook herself out of it with banana pie or some poo poo? Or the sad vaping lady from Picard show, lmao

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Troi got a lot better when she became more Marina Sirtis playing psychic Marina Sirtis. Unfortunately that was mainly for the movies.

I don't even remember Sirtis having more than four minutes of screen time in any of the movies. What was her biggest role? Crashing the Enterprise or launching the Phoenix? She sure as poo poo didn't have anything to do in Insurrection or the abomination sometimes called Nemesis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

I don't even remember Sirtis having more than four minutes of screen time in any of the movies. What was her biggest role? Crashing the Enterprise or launching the Phoenix? She sure as poo poo didn't have anything to do in Insurrection or the abomination sometimes called Nemesis.

In Nemesis she guided tactical to fire on the cloaked reman ship in a half assed callback to ST:VI, extra mind rapey edition.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
She and Riker hosed in a tub

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Generations:
- Talked to Picard about his burned up family
- Crashed the Enterprise
- Made Data cry

First Contact:
- Got drunk talking to Zefram Cochrane
- Helped launch the Phoenix

Insurrection:
- Shaved off Riker's beard in a horny bubble bath
- Helped Riker infodump about why the Son'a are such massive shitlords
- Talked about her boobs

Nemesis:
- Got married
- Got mindraped
- Did some mindrape
- Crashed the Enterprise

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

multijoe posted:

Goddamn this was a good show

You would think we would have gotten tired of drumbeats at every dramatic moment, and yet here we are. The soundtrack was epic from the first note to the last.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tighclops posted:

I see that episode as a stunted attempt to discuss what it's like to live with a disability

The whole part where she's mean to everyone makes perfect sense to me even though it's funny in the context of the episode

It makes sense in theory but was not done particularly well. Being able to sense people's emotions was something she just did, always, not some extra credit special ability she could pull out when she needed a boost. (But it was usually written as the latter.) It would be really unnerving to suddenly have that ripped away from you.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Beyond was decent despite of the climax. It should have had an ending after the swarm that didn't involve the same tired big bad escaping and threatening Innocents and only our hero can punch them down from a high place.

Beyond was a refreshing change in that they made an MCU movie instead of whatever the gently caress Into Darkness was

Miss posted:

how am i just now learning how great marina sirtis is

I think she has always felt blessed just to have a part in Star Trek that guarantees you don't have to work again as long as you are OK with doing the convention circuit every year. Her level of interest in the actual storylines or whatever appears to be next to zero beyond broad strokes, and she gives no fucks generally.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 11, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

A.o.D. posted:

The more I think about the Abramsverse the more I dislike it.

I'm realizing how lucky I have been to miss 09

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Beyond could have been a great movie, but in the end it was OK. The main issue was that the villain was not used well at all. We should not be finding out what his deal is as the movie is ending. I also thought that the framing device of 'Kirk is getting burned out and feeling old' was kind of hard to buy when Pine was in his 30s

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I was burned out in my 20s

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It felt like they were once again borrowing from Wrath of Khan, but like with STID, it didn't work

Unmature
May 9, 2008
People can get burned out multiple times in a long, taxing career. It doesn’t have to all build up to one big slump when you’re 60

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Considering this was not the TOS Kirk saying it, it didn't work as well, since there were only two movies prior. I get that there was a several year time jump between STID and Beyond but, again, it didn't work for me

Unmature
May 9, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering this was not the TOS Kirk saying it, it didn't work as well, since there were only two movies prior. I get that there was a several year time jump between STID and Beyond but, again, it didn't work for me

This is also after the years he spent as a townie drunk, years at the academy, a couple years on the Enterprise, losing his second father figure, then the first three years of their mission. He says in the beginning he’s a year older than his dad was when he died who by then had been married and was about to have a kid all while keeping his Starfleet career up while Kirk has only been career oriented. That kind of thing can weigh on a man. I’ve worked in retail for less time and gotten burned out.

EDIT:
Watching Second Chances. How can an episode with two Rikers be this boring.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I think she has always felt blessed just to have a part in Star Trek that guarantees you don't have to work again as long as you are OK with doing the convention circuit every year. Her level of interest in the actual storylines or whatever appears to be next to zero beyond broad strokes, and she gives no fucks generally.

Doesn't matter. If you're a Trek actor, the nerds don't really care if you know the difference between an EPS power tap and an ODN junction, as long as you can tell that funny story about when Frakes tripped over a loose carpet section on the bridge and faceplanted into the conn (ops? doesn't matter) console. Spoiler: I made that up

Bilirubin posted:

I'm realizing how lucky I have been to miss 09

I'm sure I've said this before, but I enjoyed 09 and Beyond (and even Into Darkness a little) when I saw them in the theater, but they didn't trigger my obsessive nerd tendencies like most of Trek does. They were fun to watch but I have no particular desire to revisit them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

2009 has problems (partially because a whole section of the movie got cut out), but it's decent.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I was mostly okay with 09 when I watched it, although I didn't care for how fast the movie went, or how devoid of ideas it was.

Into Darkness really soured me, as Abrams hadn't done a single thing to earn a shot at revisiting the story beats of Wrath of Khan by that point. It all felt hollow and pointless, and the Deus Ex Machina at the end was just plain insulting. Wrath had smaller stakes than Darkness, but felt so much grander.

I've never been able to muster up the desire to see Beyond. Into Darkness just turned me off too much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Dell payed for me to see ID during work hours in exchange for listening to like 15 minutes of storage marketing beforehand.

I still payed too much.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
ID is the most cynical piece of poo poo in the Trek franchise, very closely followed by Picard.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

HD DAD posted:

ID is the most cynical piece of poo poo in the Trek franchise, very closely followed by Picard.

I dunno, I think Discovery season 1 takes the prize for me if for no other reason than being longer and uglier to look at.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I dunno, I think Discovery season 1 takes the prize for me if for no other reason than being longer and uglier to look at.

Remember when they brought Burnham to the mess hall for 5 seconds so the rest of the crew could try to rough her up for starting the Klingon civil war (which she didn't)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ID would be better received if it was the third Abrams Trek, not the second. A second movie where they'd done something really cool on the 5 year mission would have paid a lot of dues.

Also, Cumberbatch should have been playing Joaquin, not Khan himself. And I'll keep the 9/11 bullshit in exchange for forgetting the magic eugenics blood.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It wouldn't have redeemed the movie, exactly, but it would have made it a couple degrees less lovely if they had taken that final shot of Cumberbatch in the cryopod, panned one pod to the left, and had it be a Space Seed-aged Ricardo Montalban's face with John Whatsisname's placard underneath.

EDIT: Harrison.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Also, Cumberbatch should have been playing Joaquin, not Khan himself.
Yes, I would have preferred if he was another Augment and not Khan. They were all supposed to be formidable, so it would have been fine if he was just another one of the Eugenics Wars leaders who got frozen and shot into space.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Getting very close to the end of TOS now

The Way to Eden (aka the space hippie episode)- This episode was definitely a product of its time. A bunch of space hippies show up on the Enterprise and cause problems which the Enterprise crew is not sure how to react to. There is a lot of padding in the form of musical segments, some of which were written by guest star Charles Napier. I felt like both Spock and Chekov acted pretty out of character here. Chekov acts very stiff and formal which is not how his character usually came off. Apparently Walter Koenig agreed and thought that it was very badly written. Spock seems way too interested in the idea of an 'Eden' for someone who is a very analytical mind and repeatedly talks about how he is sympathetic to their cause. I feel like it's a running theme in season 3, but not much happens in this episode until the last 15 or so minutes. I'm honestly not sure how the writers thought you were supposed to feel about these space hippies by the end. Spock repeatedly feels sympathy for them and what they believe, but they do try and kill the crew near the end but somehow manage to not do that despite having the intent. The cost-cutting has really become apparent as the show nears the last few episodes that were ever released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Beyond could have been a great movie, but in the end it was OK. The main issue was that the villain was not used well at all. We should not be finding out what his deal is as the movie is ending. I also thought that the framing device of 'Kirk is getting burned out and feeling old' was kind of hard to buy when Pine was in his 30s

Yeah, if we'd learned what Krall's deal was much earlier it would've been better.

I'd have dropped the entire magic life-sucking vampire and just have Edison keeping himself in stasis or something.