Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Higurashi When They Cry Gou: gently caress THERAPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Higurashi When They Cry Gou to the Polls

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Geez, am I the only one getting hyped to see where this goes? I'm ticked that they hid that the show is a sequel and spoiled a big plot twist for new viewers, but I confess I'm interested to see what has pulled Rika back into the loops. I understand why people are worried that this will be yet another retread of the same loops, but I don't think that's the case. The show isn't trying to wrap up any remaining plot threads from Higurashi, because there are none. Instead, I think it's trying to build a new story...y'know, like a sequel. The mystery this time around is, "Why have we been pulled back into the hell loops?" not "Why do things keep going wrong in Hinamizawa?" And given that Keiichi is already starting to remember past loops, I think the whole gang is going to be aware of the mystery, rather than just Rika. And whoever the villain is, I doubt it's Takano Miyo.

I am admittedly disappointed to miss out on a Higurashi remake, and I'm thinking of rewatching the old show. Is it streaming anywhere? I looked on Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Netflix, but didn't find anything.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Viola the Mad posted:

I am admittedly disappointed to miss out on a Higurashi remake, and I'm thinking of rewatching the old show. Is it streaming anywhere? I looked on Crunchyroll, Hulu, and Netflix, but didn't find anything.
There is a very good bad image Blog from 2006 I found on the original, many years ago: http://blogsuki.com/archives/tag/higurashi/page/3/

http://blogsuki.com/archives/2006/04/30/722/
http://blogsuki.com/archives/2006/05/07/732/

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 10, 2020

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Viola the Mad posted:

Geez, am I the only one getting hyped to see where this goes? I'm ticked that they hid that the show is a sequel and spoiled a big plot twist for new viewers, but I confess I'm interested to see what has pulled Rika back into the loops. I understand why people are worried that this will be yet another retread of the same loops, but I don't think that's the case. The show isn't trying to wrap up any remaining plot threads from Higurashi, because there are none. Instead, I think it's trying to build a new story...y'know, like a sequel. The mystery this time around is, "Why have we been pulled back into the hell loops?" not "Why do things keep going wrong in Hinamizawa?" And given that Keiichi is already starting to remember past loops, I think the whole gang is going to be aware of the mystery, rather than just Rika. And whoever the villain is, I doubt it's Takano Miyo.

No, I agree. I'm excited to see where this goes, and am much more interested than if it was a straight up remake.

You can watch Higurashi on HiDive or VRV. VRV's probably better since getting that gets you free Crunchyroll as well so it comes to $2 more a month.

https://vrv.co/series/G6J01JZVR/When-They-Cry

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This blog sucks, even by 2006 standards.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So you'd say the blog is... sucky?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

HenryEx posted:

So you'd say the blog is... sucky?

its poo poo mate

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is there a legal place to watch this or the past series online?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Post-Episode 2 interview with creator Ryukishi07 and director Keiichiro Kawaguchi

Heran Bago posted:

Is there a legal place to watch this or the past series online?

L-O-N posted:

You can watch Higurashi on HiDive or VRV. VRV's probably better since getting that gets you free Crunchyroll as well so it comes to $2 more a month.

https://vrv.co/series/G6J01JZVR/When-They-Cry
This new show is streaming on Funimation. https://www.funimation.com/shows/higurashi-when-they-cry-new/

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

New Higurashi is also on Hulu if you've got that.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Although if you want additional stuff produced alongside the original anime that's actually good, I'd heartily recommend doing a dive through the animesuki forums Higurashi section. In particular, people who'd read the VN's were doing translations of the games TIPS (basically additional fiction snips included with the original game that basically add worldbuilding) concurrent with the episodes of the original anime. They aren't essential to understanding the core plot but they add A LOT of context to the wider world of Hinamizawa and really enhance the experience. I'm not gonna pretend like the localisation is super-great since its fans on a message board doing speed translations but it was a very fun community to be around while the show was airing.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm hype as gently caress for this, can't wait for ep 3

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Although if you want additional stuff produced alongside the original anime that's actually good, I'd heartily recommend doing a dive through the animesuki forums Higurashi section. In particular, people who'd read the VN's were doing translations of the games TIPS (basically additional fiction snips included with the original game that basically add worldbuilding) concurrent with the episodes of the original anime. They aren't essential to understanding the core plot but they add A LOT of context to the wider world of Hinamizawa and really enhance the experience. I'm not gonna pretend like the localisation is super-great since its fans on a message board doing speed translations but it was a very fun community to be around while the show was airing.

the TIPS for chapter 5 are probably the most transformative of how you'll read that chapter, if nothing else

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I'm interested although I really don't know where they're going with it. Otherwise ep2 was actually slower and truer to the VN (other than the parts that were Just Different) than ep1 was, I liked it.

One possibility is that (Umineko spoilers?) this could be an explicit origin story for Bernkastel? And we could see her actually meet LD? IIRC we have speculation about how exactly she came to be but not any direct confirmation.

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm not sure if Takano's status can change? She has the Power of Absolute Certainty so her plan should be set in motion in every timeline. But maybe this is different since it's "after" her defeat.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

GodFish posted:

I'm hype as gently caress for this, can't wait for ep 3

Big :same:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

One possibility is that (Umineko spoilers?) this could be an explicit origin story for Bernkastel? And we could see her actually meet LD? IIRC we have speculation about how exactly she came to be but not any direct confirmation.
Oh now you have my attention

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i feel like that'd be slightly redundant because higurashi rei pretty much already serves as contextualization for who bern is and how she both is, and kinda isn't, rika. umineko already establishes hinamizawa as being a "game" that lambda put bern through so it wouldn't make sense for it to be where they first meet either

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, I don't think going off on a long tangent about the witches is particularly a good direction for a "Higurashi" anime. That should really be a completely different When They Cry title, if it's done at all. Higurashi should be about Hinamizawa.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a reason the only heavy crossover between wtc stuff is 07th theater. if every story got too caught up in interlocking continuity it wouldn't really be very interesting

imagine if a wtc story suddenly decided to go on a big tangent about higanbana. people would have to actually acknowledge higanbana and that'd get pretty awkward fast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway since gou showed its hand so soon there's nothing stopping me from posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJY6TRfvq9s

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They'd probably still be gods rather than witches in the context of Higurashi.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

The Colonel posted:

anyway since gou showed its hand so soon there's nothing stopping me from posting this

hanyuu's distressed noises are extremely relatable, imo

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

I said it in the Digimon thread, and I'm going to say it here. Every remake coming out of Japan is legally required to be a timeloop.

Told you, fuckers.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
gently caress! you put timeloops in higurashi! i kneel, alternatenu.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Believe it! :boom:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

Well if we're throwing in old goofy Higurashi songs we can't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l34hXgy5mZc

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if this series will have Oishi developing emphysema.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah, I don't think going off on a long tangent about the witches is particularly a good direction for a "Higurashi" anime. That should really be a completely different When They Cry title, if it's done at all. Higurashi should be about Hinamizawa.

I feel like Bernkastel could make a pretty good Big Bad, but only if they focus on her being the accumulated dead Rikas. I could see an entity that contains all of the rage, hate, and ruined dreams of the past Rikas coming back to wreck everything, in an "If I can't be happy, YOU can't be happy!" sense. The writers could explore the idea that making all those discarded loops did have consequences that aren't so easily discarded. But bringing in anything else from Umineko, even the concept of witches, is a bad idea. And they should only reveal Bern towards the end of the series.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah I'm interested although I really don't know where they're going with it. Otherwise ep2 was actually slower and truer to the VN (other than the parts that were Just Different) than ep1 was, I liked it.

I'm not sure if Takano's status can change? She has the Power of Absolute Certainty so her plan should be set in motion in every timeline. But maybe this is different since it's "after" her defeat.

I'm sure Takano is always going to try to execute her stupid plan, but I think the threat she poses will be relatively (emphasis on that relatively!) minor compared to whatever has pulled the gang back into the time loops. From a Watsonian perspective, Rika (and possibly the rest of the gang) already knows what the deal is with Takano and at least one way to stop her. Takano will always be an obstacle, but she's still a known quantity--Rika can plan for her. From a Doylian perspective, it's boring for Takano to remain the Big Bad, and it doesn't make much sense. As other people have already noted, the original Higurashi is a complete story without any major loose ends. There's nothing more to be gained from repeating the scenario unchanged.

Also, I thought Takano was just a game piece. I don't think she is Lambdadelta herself.

e. On a separate note, I'm thinking of rewatching 2006 Higurashi. Would anyone be interested in a Let's Watch thread? If so, I'll make one in the next few days.

Viola the Mad fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Viola the Mad posted:

e. On a separate note, I'm thinking of rewatching 2006 Higurashi. Would anyone be interested in a Let's Watch thread? If so, I'll make one in the next few days.
I'm down

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just watched the second episode, and holy poo poo. An actual new story. I feel bad for people jumping in blind, thinking it's a remake, but I am absolutely hyped for wherever this goes, especially it's more than just Rika who seems to have an idea of what's going on from the outset this time around.

If this is some sort of remade construct of Hinamizawa, though, they should have renamed the town to Hinamizawazawa. :haw:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Viola the Mad posted:

I would be if I hadn’t just blasted through the whole thing a couple of weeks ago on the recommendation of a poster here. :v:

It’s good though, check it out if you haven’t seen it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

As someone who hasn't read Higurashi I don't know how to read the op's "proceed with caution":tinfoil:. Is this adaptation aimed at people coming back to Higurashi, or does it expect to be watched by newcomers?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Basically yes, it's a continuation that by ep 2 has spoilers for the main series and more are hinted at. It may even spoil parts of Umineko (though perhaps not in a strong way because the two series aren't directly connected).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Just watched episode 2 and I have no idea what they're trying to do. So far it seems to be "the first arc again, but with some gratuitous spoilers interspersed"

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Mindblast posted:

As someone who hasn't read Higurashi I don't know how to read the op's "proceed with caution":tinfoil:. Is this adaptation aimed at people coming back to Higurashi, or does it expect to be watched by newcomers?

It's for people coming back. Go read/watch the VN/old anime if you want the old story (and you should, Higurashi is great).

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Qwertycoatl posted:

Just watched episode 2 and I have no idea what they're trying to do. So far it seems to be "the first arc again, but with some gratuitous spoilers interspersed"

its the final fantasy 7 remake of anime

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Viola the Mad posted:

It's for people coming back. Go read/watch the VN/old anime if you want the old story (and you should, Higurashi is great).

Alright, thanks! Gonna do a coin toss between reading and watching. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd recommend reading over watching if you are at all in the mood for a big read

if you aren't the old anime's serviceable enough at least but i do still think its take on chapter 5 kinda sucks

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
From the broadcast, not too many surprises this time from Ch. 1, but it seems that Keiichi didn't talk with Tomitake after the festival and he's only "missing" now.
Also got this yesterday :toot: