Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I was working in Dural this week and gently caress me dead for a little out of the way place it has SO MUCH GODDAMN TRAFFIC. I am on New Canterbury Rd and I don't think it's a bad as there half the time.

North west Sydney is hosed. There's gently caress all public transport and even if there was the people that live in norwest wouldn't be caught dead using it. It's for junkies and the homeless only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Laserface posted:

It's for junkies and the homeless only.

That's trains pretty much everywhere hey, they're the grease traps of society.

Also now lowtax is dead can we finally

the cool posts kid posted:

Free nvj gently caress yas

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Laserface posted:

North west Sydney is hosed. There's gently caress all public transport and even if there was the people that live in norwest wouldn't be caught dead using it. It's for junkies and the homeless only.

Well off areas abhor public transport, it just means poor people can get around, which they hate.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I tried to do the cross map pizza delivery mission in death stranding and my computer crashed and when it restarted the game had uninstalled and refuses to reinstall I'm not sure if I should file a bug report and refund or nominate it for the golden joystick

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I tried to do the cross map pizza delivery mission in death stranding and my computer crashed and when it restarted the game had uninstalled and refuses to reinstall I'm not sure if I should file a bug report and refund or nominate it for the golden joystick

pcgaming.txt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Should I just consider Adelaide and SA in general to be bizarro world as Australia goes or what

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

This hanging smoke can get absolutely cunted. Apparently it's blown in from inland and it isn't from around here but it reeks and it's giving me fuckwit brain that is preventing me from sleeping

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Apart from the barrels thing and the wine country stuff the thing that stands out to me about SA is that I watched an Australian historical building restoration show and almost every episode was a couple in akubras talking about spending 900k to renovate a tiny mud shack in the absolute desolate armpit of South australia

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

They'd always say 'a lot of history in this land' and they're technically correct but I can't help but think that what they mean is 'lotta black fellas got murdered round here'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think you've mentioned before and I can't say you're in the slightest bit wrong, especially about the black people gettin murdered

still there's some nice beaches no one else has heard about in the arse end of nowhere and with cheap accommodation that I vaguely remember going to once and I like the idea of going to without my mum

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
The soldier settlers of the wimmera and mallee regions spent all day shooting or cutting down every living thing in their posession and all night drunkenly screaming at german ghosts.
Outside the irrigated areas its a sandy, featureless hellscape.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Well off areas abhor public transport, it just means poor people can get around, which they hate.

Growing up on the beaches a trainline or bus link was always discussed in terms of "bringing the wrong people here" ie westies and non-whites.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Apart from the barrels thing and the wine country stuff the thing that stands out to me about SA is that I watched an Australian historical building restoration show and almost every episode was a couple in akubras talking about spending 900k to renovate a tiny mud shack in the absolute desolate armpit of South australia

Speaking of building restoration shows, check out last nights ep of Restoration Australia on ABC to see a couple of top shelf Sydney Wankers filling a harbour bridge adjacent Victorian terrace with tasteless expensive garabage

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
terraces were designed to be kennels for people

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EoinCannon posted:

Speaking of building restoration shows, check out last nights ep of Restoration Australia on ABC to see a couple of top shelf Sydney Wankers filling a harbour bridge adjacent Victorian terrace with tasteless expensive garabage

Every terrace in Sydney is filled exclusively with items from three locations, dependent on wealth of owner in tiers.

tier BMW 3 Series: IKEA
tier Mercedes C Class: MATT BLATT
tier Porsche Cayenne: the stuff MATT BLATT copies, ordered from a decorator.

The wealth tiers largely radiate out from Paddington.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

how fuckin poo poo are terrace houses

I mean im sure they are lovely when you buy one for 1.2m then gut it and renovate it spending close to another 500k but when they are bought and rented out for $900/wk complete with period-correct black mold and water damage they are fuckin poo poo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I love to spend 1.7 million dollars on a home the size of a semi trailer, included bike + bike lock rusted to the fence that divides the chipped concrete porch from the 80cm wide pavement that's regularly used as a urinal. This is better than a high-rise or apartment block because,

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Carlos Lantana posted:

The soldier settlers of the wimmera and mallee regions spent all day shooting or cutting down every living thing in their posession and all night drunkenly screaming at german ghosts.
Outside the irrigated areas its a sandy, featureless hellscape.

I grew up in the Wimmera and a good two thirds of the kids I went to school with had German surnames.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

how fuckin poo poo are terrace houses

I mean im sure they are lovely when you buy one for 1.2m then gut it and renovate it spending close to another 500k but when they are bought and rented out for $900/wk complete with period-correct black mold and water damage they are fuckin poo poo

These tasteful geniuses paid 4.5M for the derelict property and 5M fixing it up (including putting in a glass lift, they're probably 50 something) and making it look like poo poo inside
The whole block used to be public housing that the government neglected and then sold off a while back

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

An important lesson to learn is that taste does not scale with wealth. You can see brands bend to the tacky masses in slow motion as Mercedes / AMGs start getting yellow stripes and chunky spoilers, and the logos on "designer" brands get larger and flashier. No matter the context, gotta be as flashy as possible.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It's amazing how anyone can watch those shows and not want to beat the complete poo poo out of the assholes doing it.

Every episode is some bumbling fuckhead that's never swung a hammer in their life paying shitloads of money they either didn't earn or fell rear end backwards into to have some ugly rear end architectural monolith built or some lovey old building completely sterilised of all charm and character but they won't stop banging on about the rich history of the place as they throw all the layers of lead paint and wall paper into the skip bin.

Then they act underwhelmed at the reveal like total cunts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well why not posted:

An important lesson to learn is that taste does not scale with wealth. You can see brands bend to the tacky masses in slow motion as Mercedes / AMGs start getting yellow stripes and chunky spoilers, and the logos on "designer" brands get larger and flashier. No matter the context, gotta be as flashy as possible.

BMWs suvs that are covered in extra badges from the factory and are fwd only to appease Chinese buyers intent on conspicuous consumption and nothing else are a fantastic example.

BMWs have always been about the driving experience right up until all that Chinese upper middle class money started rolling in now they're building lifted corollas that drive like fridges and have like 90% profit.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shows like restoration australia and grand designs are a guilty hate watch for me

It's not healthy watching mostly obnoxious empty nesters buy or build houses that I will never be able to afford and talk themselves into throwing more and more money into the pit so they have achieve their dream of having a cinema room they will never use

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Lolie posted:

I grew up in the Wimmera and a good two thirds of the kids I went to school with had German surnames.

So many Henschkes.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Laserface posted:

BMWs suvs that are covered in extra badges from the factory and are fwd only to appease Chinese buyers intent on conspicuous consumption and nothing else are a fantastic example.

BMWs have always been about the driving experience right up until all that Chinese upper middle class money started rolling in now they're building lifted corollas that drive like fridges and have like 90% profit.

The pendulum swing away from cashed up euro dads who wanted "sport purity" (in a four door) coinciding with the Golf (and other competitors) getting really good was probably pretty alarming for them.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Should I just consider Adelaide and SA in general to be bizarro world as Australia goes or what

Basically, yes.

You order a schooner, you get a middy, you pay a schooner price.
You order a pint, you get a schooner, you pay a pint price.
If you want an actual metric pint, they look at you like you're an rear end in a top hat.

Alternatively, you'll never taste a better Coopers.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
The best thing about rural SA was the family of bipolar welders that created Monash Playground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcLKQoNGjfw

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lolie posted:

I grew up in a town called Hahndorf

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

germans be like "oodee boodee look i'm in a funny leiderhosen lets drink oktoberfestens" and i'm like bro your grandpa was a nazi, i'm on to you

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that video of Monash Playground rocks. it's like if the soviets made jamberoo in some far flung ukraine province

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

germans be like "oodee boodee look i'm in a funny leiderhosen lets drink oktoberfestens" and i'm like bro your grandpa was a nazi, i'm on to you

South Africans with slavery and they don't really pretend to be nice at all

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I grew up in a town called Hahndorf

I had an excellent schnitzel followed by a mind blowing chocolate mousse in Hahndorf.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I just want to point out that they made bad boy bubby in Adelaide tbh

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

I grew up in a small coastal community in the Bundaberg region (Burnett Heads) 50m from a beach and we moved into town when I was 14 and it took me months to adapt to not having the sound of the ocean lulling me to sleep.

Mrs went to put an offer in on a house today but got told that someone else had made an offer 50k higher

:getout:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

you know how it's really uncool to give yourself a nickname?

"radelaide"

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Bris Vegas is the other one that bugs me. Even if it's meant to take the piss from the get go you've just stolen an objectively shittier towns joke about how poo poo it is wholesale. No way rocky is less poo poo than Brisbane .

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i'm trying to find some more intensive psychiatry than what I'm currently undergoing and googling "(my council area) mental health facility" i keep getting results for horse doctors lmao gently caress this town

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

EoinCannon posted:

Shows like restoration australia and grand designs are a guilty hate watch for me

It's not healthy watching mostly obnoxious empty nesters buy or build houses that I will never be able to afford and talk themselves into throwing more and more money into the pit so they have achieve their dream of having a cinema room they will never use

I just watched that milson point terrace ep and it looks about as classy as Bankstown Sports club. The loving zebra print carpet stairwell.

The episode where they rebuild that Hungarian architects post ww2 modern house in perth was really great and just a straight up true renovation.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i'm trying to find some more intensive psychiatry than what I'm currently undergoing and googling "(my council area) mental health facility" i keep getting results for horse doctors lmao gently caress this town

just crash your base model subaru outback into the reception hall of the nearest medical facility and start screaming for a Dr. Frasier Crane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Bris Vegas is the other one that bugs me. Even if it's meant to take the piss from the get go you've just stolen an objectively shittier towns joke about how poo poo it is wholesale. No way rocky is less poo poo than Brisbane .

Have you been to Rocky? Central QLD as a whole is a desolate wasteland and I grew up there and lived there for 21 years