Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheDon01 posted:

You would think the US govt. who just had a bunch of senators and witnesses murdered in the capitol wouldnt let the nazi company with the nazi employee turned terrorist be their own jailer and jury/judge.

Not really.

The ceo's of Amazon and Google sit on advisory boards to the pentagon. The first bailout for the pandemic was to giant corporations. Nobody employed by the MIC goes to prison for war crimes. etc, etc.

Corporations own our leaders, and they dance to whatever tune they're told to. And Vought seems to be the most powerful corporation in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Blaise330 posted:

Is that 7 movie canceled now or will they edit Stormfront out? And how many years of neckbeards yelling “RELEASE THE STORMFRONT CUT” before they do it

I hope they start the new season with this. And show how the movie is badly edited because they needed to cut all her scenes, or how she awkwardly digitally removed on group scenes. Just like the Superman mustache thing but much much worse looking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rinkles posted:

do we know why homelander was brought up in a lab? did they just pump him with more V than normal?

Vogelbaum mentioned that initially Homelander was very sweet and nice, but he wanted a soldier/warrior so he very deliberately removed any and all comfort or love from his upbringing and made it all utilitarian/functional only with scientists and military people who just took him places, ran tests, had him do things then dumped him back in his room. I think the only thing he had of any comfort was his blanket?

To the surprise of only Vogelbaum, it turns out raising the most powerful being in the world in a clinical, unfeeling manner does NOT produce optimal results. Especially when as he grows older and stronger and learns better how to read social cues, he picks up on the fact that EVERYBODY is terrified of him and what he is capable of.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rinkles posted:

do we know why homelander was brought up in a lab? did they just pump him with more V than normal?

He was a test-tube baby where they were trying to produce a supe with a powerset as close to that of "Superman" as possible, but then they kept him in the lab throughout his childhood in order to figure out just how strong he was (way too strong), if they could replicate the results (not until Ryan), and if he had any vulnerabilities that they could control him with (doesn't look like it).

Groovelord Neato posted:

I don't really get keeping Black Noir in if you're gonna cut out his point to the plot.

He's in the top 5 best performances on the show. Dude owns bones.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just as Hughie gets over his murdered girlfriend, Billy and Homelander get dead girlfriends of their own. The circle is complete.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Martman posted:

Wouldn't be too surprised if a big company going "we're sorry... we're really sorry. so sorry" is enough to get them let off the hook to a ridiculous extent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15HTd4Um1m4

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
:c00l: "Remember what I told ya?"
:kiddo: "don't be a oval office"

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I dunno. I mean I get that not giving the boys D-grade super powers like in the source material was a choice made to keep the budget under control...er, I mean to make standing against the supes feel like a real sacrifice in the face of danger, and it could have worked really well with good writers. I also think that "They give up their humanity to become what they hate in order to make the world better" would have been an easier job for the writers that they actually hired. The first two episodes of season one drive home the question "How the hell do you conduct guerilla warfare against an enemy with X-ray vision and super sonic flying powers and stuff?" I was pumped at the time because I was looking forward to how that question was going to answered. I was hoping for a better answer than plot armor, blind luck, blackmail, and stupidity.

The show is riddled with people threatening other people with personal dirt, and any time personal dirt gets released the bad guys basically hop on TV and "Nuh-unh" the controversy all gone. Then ten minutes later some God level hero caves in to another blackmail attempt and lets their arch nemesis walk off stage left. It just feels like the writers are confusing having dumb luck with being clever, and confusing stupidity with hubris. Basically the setup to everything tends to be so thin that none of the consequences feel like they have any real weight.

And I could probably look past all that because the show is mostly fun, but then the climax of season 2 is when Evil Superman whose greatest power is his own ego just grimaces a bit and caves in to yet another blackmail attempt by someone he considered to be under his thumb. Suddenly Homelander feels less like an unhinged time bomb with mommy issues on the brink of exploding, and more like a chump. There's just no antagonist in the show who feels particularly threatening, and no good guys that feel competent. Mostly though I'm just bitter because I hate retracing my steps and being all like "Hey person from work, remember that show I said you should check out? Well maybe don't instead".

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm guessing you didn't get chills when they were doing the eye close up during his speech where he looked like he was about to snap?

poo poo, when he tossed out the "I will destroy everyone and everything" I got nervous, because he didn't even bother with the usual "you love" aspect, because he didn't give a gently caress. He would happily burn down the world if the people turned against him. He has no one. His fake wife is dead, his girlfriend was murdered by his kid, his old mommy fantasy got blew the gently caress up (after he melted her face), and the weird dude who could at least pretend to be her, he killed. His literal flesh and blood chose a stranger over him. The dude can't get close to anyone because of his childhood trauma, and even if he did get close, her have to be careful not to break them, plus he has no social skills due to his upbringing.

Dude is literally hanging on by a thread. He was ready to straight up murder one of the seven in the headquarters, and that was BEFORE most of the bad poo poo happened to him this season.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Was Stormfront in the source material, and with the same origin story?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zwabu posted:

Was Stormfront in the source material, and with the same origin story?

In the comic Stormfront was male, and was the byproduct of far less willful Nazi experimentation on pregnant women. Same powers, though. He's supposedly the second most powerful Supe that appears in the comic.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

So, I'm guessing you didn't get chills when they were doing the eye close up during his speech where he looked like he was about to snap?

poo poo, when he tossed out the "I will destroy everyone and everything" I got nervous, because he didn't even bother with the usual "you love" aspect, because he didn't give a gently caress. He would happily burn down the world if the people turned against him. He has no one. His fake wife is dead, his girlfriend was murdered by his kid, his old mommy fantasy got blew the gently caress up (after he melted her face), and the weird dude who could at least pretend to be her, he killed. His literal flesh and blood chose a stranger over him. The dude can't get close to anyone because of his childhood trauma, and even if he did get close, her have to be careful not to break them, plus he has no social skills due to his upbringing.

Dude is literally hanging on by a thread. He was ready to straight up murder one of the seven in the headquarters, and that was BEFORE most of the bad poo poo happened to him this season.

Well yeah but they keep showing him on the brink, then they push him at speed toward the brink, and then they have the ego-maniacal God man teetering on the brink of reality with not a single person on the planet capable of standing in the path of his rage just go "Yup. There's nothing I can do to fight another unflattering video on Youtube. Time to beat off on a skyscraper".

I mean I get what you're saying, and I see what they were going for, but the choices they made and how they got to where they ended up all feels pretty meh.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I missed it buyt after the senate hearing, Homelanders red-head assistant acted all weird. In a later scene she pulled up a bunch of hair from her head, what did I miss?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
Thinking about it, I guess my biggest issue is that they leaned so hard into Homelander's instability that he's already at the point where it feels like he should be saying, "Okay gently caress it. I can depopulate this planet on a long Saturday afternoon. If you animals don't love me I'll teach you to fear me. Now I want see a 7 billion person que forming of folks waiting to suck my dick."

It's like they pushed his character past his breaking point too early in the story and they're stuck with coming up with contrived excuses to hold him back, which isn't the best climax for a season finale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gaj posted:

I missed it buyt after the senate hearing, Homelanders red-head assistant acted all weird. In a later scene she pulled up a bunch of hair from her head, what did I miss?

I think all season she'd been reflexively pulling at that one spot on her hair because she's under constant stress and in danger of being killed by Homelander (or Vought, if they found out she was feeding HL sensitive company info), and they finally revealed that she'd been plucking herself bald. She was being forced to babysit an emotionally-unstable pre-teen with (for all she knew) all of HL's powers and even *less* control of them.

Frankenstyle posted:

Thinking about it, I guess my biggest issue is that they leaned so hard into Homelander's instability that he's already at the point where it feels like he should be saying, "Okay gently caress it. I can depopulate this planet on a long Saturday afternoon. If you animals don't love me I'll teach you to fear me. Now I want see a 7 billion person que forming of folks waiting to suck my dick."

It's like they pushed his character past his breaking point too early in the story and they're stuck with coming up with contrived excuses to hold him back, which isn't the best climax for a season finale.

Yeah, this is the entire premise behind the Irredeemable comic.

I don't know, I'm kinda *down* for watching Starr pull a "what if Superman pulled a Colonel Kurtz?"

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 11, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gaj posted:

She has PTSD from the capital attack. Her assistant Deanna who was her number 2 all season exploded in her face. The Amazon x-ray for that scene mentions future trauma.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Gaj posted:

It's stress, pure and simple - it's a thing she's being doing all season. Homelander's putdowns and hostility and requirement for his technical boss to work for him, the way that noone takes her seriously, and the situations where she's not in control means that she's forming destructive habits. It doesn't help that she went from getting the coffee to running the entire team because her boss got killed in a giant explosion, the rapid loss of control Vought has had, and all the revelations that keep undermining Vought.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

The show is riddled with people threatening other people with personal dirt, and any time personal dirt gets released the bad guys basically hop on TV and "Nuh-unh" the controversy all gone.
When has this happened? The opposite has been shown repeatedly now, what with Vaught instantly being down to throw both The Deep and Stormfront under the bus when they decided it could benefit them (and who knows, maybe Stan Edgar was particularly willing to gently caress over Stormfront too...) The "dirt" on Maeve being released also led to her feeling even more trapped than before.

The problem is that the dirt is always on individuals but the system is not really designed to address Vought being the actual villain; the dirt keeps serving its purpose though, which is why Homelander is terrified. He's "pushed to the brink," sure, but he has literally no non-public persona. No secret identity. He knows that if he ever truly loses the public, he has literally nothing; it makes perfect sense that he's genuinely terrified of that, along with being terrified that Vought will be willing to name him an enemy the moment they think they have a way to beat him.

I guess this is mostly contrasted with the release of the info about Compound V, which I would argue is not personal dirt at all. I think it works perfectly to show that everyone is outraged about individual scandals but when the corporation is caught red-handed it ends up handwaved away.

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 11, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Frankenstyle posted:

Well yeah but they keep showing him on the brink, then they push him at speed toward the brink, and then they have the ego-maniacal God man teetering on the brink of reality with not a single person on the planet capable of standing in the path of his rage just go "Yup. There's nothing I can do to fight another unflattering video on Youtube. Time to beat off on a skyscraper".

I was kinda expecting Homelander to just zap Maeve at that point, but instead it was another get out of jail free card out of another seemingly hopeless situation.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Martman posted:

He's "pushed to the brink," sure, but he has literally no non-public persona. No secret identity. He knows that if he ever truly loses the public, he has literally nothing; it makes perfect sense that he's genuinely terrified of that, along with being terrified that Vought will be willing to name him an enemy the moment they think they have a way to beat him.

I would love if Homelander tried to create a secret identity so he can have a real life. Just imagine him in a business suit and big Clark Kent glasses trying to fit in at an office job.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It was funny seeing that cut "I can do w/e the gently caress I want" scene from S1, but it didn't really fit with the press conference scene, and the intense close up on his eyes. It's a younger Homelander doing things that would've fit in the first season but not at that moment.

Rinkles posted:

Because he was made and raised by dumb sociopaths that cared more for control than HL's mental well-being.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

:c00l: "Remember what I told ya?"
:kiddo: "don't be a oval office"

The golden rule.

Orange Carlisle posted:

Was discussing the show with friends that couldn't get over how Butcher just suddenly decided to defend Ryan after seemingly wanting to bash his head in moments before. It's wild to me that it's so hard to understand loving someone so much that a promise to them means more than anything else.

On a smaller scale its the same as if someone is a stepfather or stepmother who is never accepted by the children of the one they love - but they still love and protect the child as their own out of love for the child's mother/father that they are with. That kid can be the biggest rear end in a top hat to you on the planet but you'll still protect them with your life because in loving their mother/father you made a choice to take them into your life as well.

It was a very human moment and it's really not that hard to see why even in an extreme moment of grief he kept his promise to the woman he loved. Everything Butcher has done in the show was done out of love for his wife.. good or bad.

Karl Urban did a good job making it look like Butcher was coming to the realization that yes... he is going to protect this kid. You could see it on his face as he was answering Homelander. I don't know what he would've done if Homelander wasn't there though.

Edit:

Rinkles posted:

I was kinda expecting Homelander to just zap Maeve at that point, but instead it was another get out of jail free card out of another seemingly hopeless situation.

Maeve and Homelander used to be a thing for years. I think she's stronger / more resilient than Stormfront, and HL knows it.
Otherwise... yeah, it's kinda a get out of jail free card. Or maybe he just really respects/likes her somehow.

Tip posted:

I would love if Homelander tried to create a secret identity so he can have a real life. Just imagine him in a business suit and big Clark Kent glasses trying to fit in at an office job.

That might last a whole day before he inevitably goes postal.

itry fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 11, 2020

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

itry posted:

That might last a whole day before he inevitably goes postal.

Well yeah. Every scene would be dripping with tension.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tip posted:

Well yeah. Every scene would be dripping with tension.

Imagine the series ending Homelander's story Dexter-like. Just HL with a beard and a flannel shirt staring out a window.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Frankenstyle posted:

The show is riddled with people threatening other people with personal dirt, and any time personal dirt gets released the bad guys basically hop on TV and "Nuh-unh" the controversy all gone.
It's interesting cause it shows another way things have changed in the small amount of time that has passed between the comic and the show. Blackmailing the 7/Vought with dirt was a real threat in the comics cause we were still living in a non-post-facts society; and yeah, even then it was clear that the mighty and powerful could shield themselves from the worst outcome of their actions, but having someone, let's say, find out that POTUS has had a major secret sex scandal, or was in cahoots with the Russian would have been prime blackmail material in any given story back then.

The only thing that stuck in the show is Starlight's sexual harassment - which is in line with the Me Too movement - and Stormfront's Nazi origins being bad for her - which is at least at a certain level a nice wish fullfilment. Other things have had consequences, but they've mostly been temporary speed bumps.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 11, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The show is not spending time on long scenes of Vought execs arguing over revenue/profit trends and share prices for obvious reasons.

The scenes we do get show a massive multinational that's suffering a series of crises. Where the show leaves off is at a point of equilibrium. Vought is less popular than before, but Amazon is also unpopular amongst those who don't like slave labour. Vought's plans for expanded use of Compound V and to get into the military have been derailed. Our heroes have successfully averted disaster.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

itry posted:

It was funny seeing that cut "I can do w/e the gently caress I want" scene from S1, but it didn't really fit with the press conference scene, and the intense close up on his eyes. It's a younger Homelander doing things that would've fit in the first season but not at that moment.

I agree, it made me laugh with surprise because people had mentioned it here, but his season 1 hairdo was obvious, and it felt more like an easter egg. Should've maybe used it as an after credits scene.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I wonder if they told Starr they were putting that scene back in.

The scene works so much better here than at any point in S1 though. In S1 the context is that Stillwell is telling him what to do, and that has an easy solution. Here the problem Homelander has is that he can do whatever the gently caress he wants and nobody can stop him, but he's still constrained by the gap between what he wants to do and the outcomes he wants. He's the one stopping himself from doing whatever he wants and that's tearing him up. Its the perfect place to leave the character in between s2 and s3: in equilibrium but an unstable one.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 11, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Frankenstyle posted:

Seconding that this is the plot to Irredeemable, but I think Homelander's arc makes sense.

He could go full evil-Superman, but his whole tragic character flaw is that he wants to be loved, not feared. In fact, being feared is what ruined his childhood and having everyone in his life pretend to love him but actually fear him is why he's been miserable the whole show. It's why he killed Stillwell, why he exposed Maeve's relationship and why he had a whole rant about having "had it up to here" with people lying to him. It's also why he fell for Stormfront despite not being on board with her ideology, and why he desperately wanted a relationship with Ryan. He thought their powers meant they wouldn't fear him like everyone else does.

I agree they've pushed him a lot, but he knows if he controls himself he can at least keep his legions of adoring fans and have the chance to carry on looking for someone to love him. If he cuts loose, he's feared by everyone forever. That's why he hears crowds chanting "Homelander" when Maeve is blackmailing him, he's remembering what he still has to lose.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

itry posted:

Maeve and Homelander used to be a thing for years. I think she's stronger / more resilient than Stormfront, and HL knows it.
Otherwise... yeah, it's kinda a get out of jail free card. Or maybe he just really respects/likes her somehow.

Maeve is canonically the second strongest supe in the show, and there is a deleted scene in season 1 where he says that they are the two at the top above everyone else like gods

We've not really seen a proper test of Maeve, and the threat to her from Homelander are to the things she cares about and less physical, so it would interest me to see what level of fight there would be there. Homelander is leagues ahead, but Maeve is definitely above Stormfronts "don't break easy".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Maeve is canonically the second strongest supe in the show, and there is a deleted scene in season 1 where he says that they are the two at the top above everyone else like gods

We've not really seen a proper test of Maeve, and the threat to her from Homelander are to the things she cares about and less physical, so it would interest me to see what level of fight there would be there. Homelander is leagues ahead, but Maeve is definitely above Stormfronts "don't break easy".

Except emotionally, which is her great tragedy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I dunno, we have had had several scenes of Black Noir essentially being a tank who takes an exploding supe to the face and Maeve manhandles them like a new born baby. I got the sense from the scene that Maeve vs BN would be as one sided as BN vs Annie was turning out to be.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I dunno, we have had had several scenes of Black Noir essentially being a tank who takes an exploding supe to the face and Maeve manhandles them like a new born baby. I got the sense from the scene that Maeve vs BN would be as one sided as BN vs Annie was turning out to be.

I think we're going to see Noir return next season, only for someone to try and take him out with a Snickers and it does nothing. The nut allergy gives the writers a great way to show that it's someone else inside the suit without revealing who.

On a related note, Frenchie's assorted methods of taking out the supes (EMP-RPG for Stormfront, speaker system for Homelander, Snickers for Noir, Adrenaline shot for A-Train) were great even if they weren't used.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I had to skip almost 30 pages, but was there ever a translation for what Stormfront was saying?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Professor Shark posted:

I had to skip almost 30 pages, but was there ever a translation for what Stormfront was saying?

This question just keeps getting cuter and cuter, as if German is ancient Cyrillic or Esperanto and 48 hours wouldn't be long enough to translate 4 sentences.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Yes, she thought she was talking to her husband (Vought) and was asking if he remembered taking their daughter out in the car, when they sat with her under an apple tree and she tried fresh apples for the first time. It was quite sad actually, especially considering I assumed she'd be muttering threats or nazi propaganda or something.

E:

quote:

"It was so beautiful. How the three of us sat there, in the shade of an apple tree. Do you remember the day Frederick? Chloe reaching her arms out of the car window. We found the perfect spot by the river, in the shade of an apple tree. It was the first time Chloe ate fresh apples...(Incoherent)...I was so happy. It was wonderful. I wanted it to never end"

jabby fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 11, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jabby posted:

Yes, she thought she was talking to her husband (Vought) and was asking if he remembered taking their daughter out in the car, when they she with her under an apple tree and she tried fresh apples for the first time. It was quite sad actually, especially considering I assumed she'd be muttering threats or nazi propaganda or something.

E:

Thanks!

Edit: Having a S3E1 reveal that Stormfront is pregnant would be very fitting thematically for the show. Homelander 3, still not sure what to do.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 11, 2020

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

BurritoJustice posted:

Super comic spoiler

Of course I'm sure they wouldn't do Brave Maeve like that this time round.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

twistedmentat posted:

Esposito is really good in a few episodes of Homicide Life On the Street.

this is a combination I cannot afford to miss.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Do a google search for it?

It was basically a light in the tunnel flashback memory from when she was married to Vought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

RockyB posted:

Super comic spoiler

Of course I'm sure they wouldn't do Brave Maeve like that this time round.

It's interesting the slight difference in TV Homelander/Comic Homelander. We've seen TV Homelander being pushed over by Ryan, shoved around by Stormfront, immobilised temporarily by Kimiko's brother. Never actually hurt, but at least inconvenienced.

Comic Homelander on the other hand can take the strongest possible hit from the second-most-powerful Supe and it doesn't even mess up his hair. Doesn't budge an inch.