Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

hobbesmaster posted:

Parachutes and supplemental oxygen aren't uncommon for test flights, even airliners.
I've never worked commercial aviation, but a lot of military FCF crews wear parachutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
GH, wasn't it you who talked about the bail hatch on the E-3 and how it was kind of a quaint concept that'd be useless in reality?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

GH, wasn't it you who talked about the bail hatch on the E-3 and how it was kind of a quaint concept that'd be useless in reality?

Just like "don't push this button" invites pushing it, I really want to find out just how fast that door acts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's also been rendered no longer functional in the past couple of years. There's a big yellow/black striped handle (like a couple foot long pipe) in the cabin that would be yanked down sharply to fire a couple of glorified shotgun shells to jettison the outer hatch. In the floor of the main deck (5 or 6 feet above that hatch) is a metal grate hatch that opens upward. You'd jump through that. And hope you don't get blown against all the UHF blade antennae along the bottom of the fuselage. For obvious reasons, nobody would want to try that, but it's doubtful if they even COULD. There aren't many situations where the aircraft is stable enough to actually dump 20-40 people out through that thing but not in controlled flight or otherwise requiring the crew to bail out. Also they removed the parachutes in the 90s, so bon voyage!

I don't know if/how it was ever tested, but it hadn't happened within memory of anyone I knew. It was just an outdated part of the surveillance officer's preflight checklist.

Excuse the blur, and ignore the purple light. You can see the chute handle in the first pic, and the grate hatch that's directly below it in the second.

Fun fact: that double-wide cabinet behind the controllers in the second picture is basically the graphics card for the outgoing computer system. That nook behind it is where the Computer Diagnostic & Maintenance Technician sleeps works.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 10, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bob_burrough/status/1314476772662992896

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I feel like your aircraft company "Boom" is bad feng shui.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

What was the point of that "safety rope"? If he fell off, he'd just be hanging from the plane as it crashed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why would the plane crash?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

What was the point of that "safety rope"? If he fell off, he'd just be hanging from the plane as it crashed.

Theater.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sagebrush posted:

Why would the plane crash?

If he fell before restarting

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

If he fell before restarting

He would have plenty of time to climb back up before that plane got near the ground.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What would the effect on stability on a plane that small with someone falling out and then tugging on one side as the rope caught them?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A bit, but it'll be relatively close to CoG. That video is though, as mentioned, pure theater.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bull3964 posted:

What would the effect on stability on a plane that small with someone falling out and then tugging on one side as the rope caught them?

Depends on exactly where the rope is attached, and ignoring shock loading of him reaching the end of said rope, but assuming somewhere near or (preferably,) aft of the CG, very little. He’d add a ton of parasitic drag to an airplane that’s already hilariously underpowered, but nothing world-shattering.

Super Cubs (which are pretty similar, but with a ton more power) are extremely popular as banner-planes, which is a similar aerodynamic problem.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

MrYenko posted:

Depends on exactly where the rope is attached, and ignoring shock loading of him reaching the end of said rope, but assuming somewhere near or (preferably,) aft of the CG, very little. He’d add a ton of parasitic drag to an airplane that’s already hilariously underpowered, but nothing world-shattering.

Super Cubs (which are pretty similar, but with a ton more power) are extremely popular as banner-planes, which is a similar aerodynamic problem.

Interesting way to describe dead-stick

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Unreal_One posted:

Interesting way to describe dead-stick

Lol, a J-3 is underpowered when the engine is running. Its no huge change when it isn’t.

:v:

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Lol, a J-3 is underpowered when the engine is running. Its no huge change when it isn’t.

Which is doubly amusing given that Taylor had to re-engine the prototype E-2 for being underpowered.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Wasn't there an engine-less version of the J-3 built for training WW2 glider pilots? It was certainly some kind of basic trainer with a 50-something horsepower engine which was chosen on the basis that it had so little power that it was already a half-decent glider in any case, and the pilots found there was almost no difference in the way (or speed) the glider version flew in comparison to the original.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I posted this in the Cold War thread but I feel like adding LED light strips to fighters would be at home here too.

https://twitter.com/AnnQuann/status/1314929136729636864

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Thomamelas posted:

I posted this in the Cold War thread but I feel like adding LED light strips to fighters would be at home here too.

Not shown: North Korean Air Force MX techs openly weeping for all the time they're going to be chained to those airframes to bring them back to combat readiness.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

BalloonFish posted:

Wasn't there an engine-less version of the J-3 built for training WW2 glider pilots? It was certainly some kind of basic trainer with a 50-something horsepower engine which was chosen on the basis that it had so little power that it was already a half-decent glider in any case, and the pilots found there was almost no difference in the way (or speed) the glider version flew in comparison to the original.

There was the TG-6, glider version of the Taylorcraft L-2, which is a cousin to the Cub. There was a glider version of the J-3 too, but I forget what it is off the top of my head.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So, you have a union plant that does excellent aerospace work, and this non-union plant that you tried and failed to get to do that work for cheaper, and it's done tremendous damage to business and your reputation. What do you do?

Expand the crap plant and abandon the union one, obviously

1. This has been known to be coming for years now. The 787-10 can only be built in SC, because the parts don't fit in the 747-LCF for transport to Everett:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/everett-may-be-left-out-of-787-10-plans/

2. The union plant hasn't exactly been covering itself with glory, either. The KC-46s have had tons of FOD and QC gripes.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

The RGB Angels

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

vessbot posted:

There was the TG-6, glider version of the Taylorcraft L-2, which is a cousin to the Cub. There was a glider version of the J-3 too, but I forget what it is off the top of my head.

Piper TG-8; there was also the Aeronca TG-5, derived from the L-3. Interestingly, postwar some TG-8s were converted into J-3 equivalents by adding an engine. I don't know if this was the case with the other two types.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Thomamelas posted:

Marine KC-130s have external light strips for night ops. You can see them at 0:38 in this video.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

hobbesmaster posted:

Parachutes and supplemental oxygen aren't uncommon for test flights, even airliners.

I have this distinct memory from when the a380 was being developed there was a design that included a slide in the middle of the fuselage that was basically a bail out hatch for all the passengers.
It's so ridiculous is obviously never was implemented but still I remember as a teenager being all woah :eyepop:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Any of you folks in the cargo game know why a bunch of polar 747’s just went to CVG?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fknlo posted:

Any of you folks in the cargo game know why a bunch of polar 747’s just went to CVG?

CVG is one of our major bases, that’s not out of the ordinary.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

CVG is one of our major bases, that’s not out of the ordinary.

It was just weird because we pretty much never see Polar's let alone several of them. I feel like I haven't worked one since I've been at ZDV.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

2. The union plant hasn't exactly been covering itself with glory, either. The KC-46s have had tons of FOD and QC gripes.

Move "guy in the tail" to "guy in a cockpit with a bespoke 3d computer miracle visual system" may be the single worst political pork barrel in the past...20 years?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Apologies if this is the wrong thread or has been discussed before but I couldn’t find it. The guy who started the Raptor aircraft company finally test flew his plane after an insane design and build cycle and a bunch of test pilots walked away from it. The video is absolutely terrifying and has the plane going through some pretty wild oscillations and the engine nearly overheating for the entire ~2 minute flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9a2tGDaHE

Some background: software dude decides he can build a canard design that outperforms a SR-22 for 150K. Engine is an Audi V6 diesel on a gigantic belt reduction. The rest of the plane is also super janky. Luckily the whole history of the endeavor is documented on his YouTube channel if you feel the need to go down a rabbit hole.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 11, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“The rest of the plane is super janky” implies that the powerplant is not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

Move "guy in the tail" to "guy in a cockpit with a bespoke 3d computer miracle visual system" may be the single worst political pork barrel in the past...20 years?

That's not the big problem though...Boeing is failing at the basics of building airplanes. Moving the boom operator up front should be trivial, we did it with tail gunners decades ago. But loving up fuel tank seals, leaving ladders in compartments...this is more than just overselling "advanced" tech.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godholio posted:

That's not the big problem though...Boeing is failing at the basics of building airplanes. Moving the boom operator up front should be trivial, we did it with tail gunners decades ago. But loving up fuel tank seals, leaving ladders in compartments...this is more than just overselling "advanced" tech.

Yeah but did you see their quarterly reports for a bit there when they cut all those corners? What? Long term? What’s that?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

If it’s a Boeing, it ain’t going!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Midjack posted:

If it’s a Boeing, it ain’t going!

Made in Everett, not airworthy yet!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread or has been discussed before but I couldn’t find it. The guy who started the Raptor aircraft company finally test flew his plane after an insane design and build cycle and a bunch of test pilots walked away from it. The video is absolutely terrifying and has the plane going through some pretty wild oscillations and the engine nearly overheating for the entire ~2 minute flight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9a2tGDaHE

Some background: software dude decides he can build a canard design that outperforms a SR-22 for 150K. Engine is an Audi V6 diesel on a gigantic belt reduction. The rest of the plane is super janky. Luckily the whole history of the endeavor is documented on his YouTube channel if you feel the need to go down a rabbit hole.

Seems like Aeronatical Insanity to me!

Comments are also amazing, with kit-canard builders telling him his canards are stalling, and an audi diesel-engineer telling him his audi diesel turbo setup is hosed.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Platystemon posted:

“The rest of the plane is super janky” implies that the powerplant is not.

Good point, edited to include the word “also”

Apparently he has rushed to fly it himself because he has a few million in pre-orders and is a few years behind schedule.

Somebody found video of it from the tower, where it also looks cartoonishly unstable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLO2xdDGLqk

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

Good point, edited to include the word “also”

Apparently he has rushed to fly it himself because he has a few million in pre-orders and is a few years behind schedule.

Somebody found video of it from the tower, where it also looks cartoonishly unstable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLO2xdDGLqk

Comments are turned off. Learn more

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Love when my plane oscillates up and down 20 feet when I'm trying to land.