Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

This is why I only subscribe to the Sunday Sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

Bet you can’t whip up a ‘Hyerloop is a knockoff of a Brunel design’ post

Well funny you should say that, in that Brunel (who wasn't actually infallible, a sentence it pains me to type) *did* have a railway reliant on evacuated tubes - the South Devon Railway. Unlike the Hyperloop it did actually run. The Hyperloop, if ever built, will no doubt be eaten by rats the same way though.

Some quick autobiographical notes - the museum in the old pump house near Bodmin - where they demonstrated the system using a hoover and a little cart - was the beginning of my obsession with Brunel (although the ground had been well-laid, my mum being from Cornwall and many childhood holidays being spent down there, had engraved the words IK BRUNEL ENGINEER onto my brain before I could even read, as they're painted on the Albert Bridge that takes the tail of the GWR over the Tamar into Cornwall, marking the official start of the holiday.

When I found out Brunel's greatest achievement *and* greatest folly, the Great Eastern, was built on the Isle of Dogs (and a distant ancestor of mine died in it's construction), and his very first project (under his father) was the Thames Tunnel, just next to where I was born, the deal was sealed.

Since then I've found out the iron for the Albert Bridge (and the Clifton Suspension Bridge) came from Thames Ironworks, birthplace of West Ham, and the atmospheric railway was invented and built by the Samuda Brothers Shipyard, also on the Isle of Dogs, and TBH I think he's somehow stalking me.

e: Huh, apparently the engine house was near Exeter, not Bodmin - I assumed the latter because my aunt lived there at the time and she and her husband drove us there in their posh car (posh in this context meaning some late-70s saloon, which was exotic as gently caress to a London kid who'd never been in a road vehicle less than 2 storeys high. Maybe the fact the car didn't stop every 30 seconds skewed my perception of the distance)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 10, 2020

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Is that 79 yo Cliff Richards implying that hes about 50?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lobster God posted:

I believe it has to do with large portions of the British rail network being laid out for Victorian spec locomotives. Many lines curve around obstacles to ensure there's no excessively steep angles that relatively low HP locos would struggle with, but the angles prevent modern high speed travel. Plus I'm sure there's something about signalling systems and the UK rail network being a hodge podge of different private schemes merged into one network.

Given this thread, am sure someone will have a much more accurate and detailed answer shortly!

The adversion of gradients wasn't so much to do with the power of the engines (although that was a contributing factor up to the point) but more to do with the costs of construction - when your main business is hauling freight at no more than 25-30mph and your competition is a canal narrowboat moving at a slow walking pace, it doesn't really matter if your railway has loads of tight curves as it wiggles around sticking as close to the contours of the land as possible. In fact several railways reduced the costs of their construction further by buying out an existing canal - which they would be putting out of business anyway - filling it in and building the railway on the ready-made flat surface that resulted. Of course canals are even more tortuously curved than your average railway, so cost-saving decisions made by businessmen in big hats in the 1850s is still having knock-on effects in the 21st century.

Cheap railways can either be flat and wiggly, going around obstacles (preferable) or straight and bumpy going over obstacles. The expensive option was to make your railway both flat and straight, which meant going through the land. That was done in early days of mainline railways when costs and competition were lower and capital was easy to come buy (e.g. the London-Birmingham section of the WCML, 'Brunel's Billiard Table' between London and Bristol and the bottom half of what is now the ECML between London and York). The other option was to split the difference and make as much of your railway as flat as possible and do all your elevation changes in a short, sharp gradient (again, reminiscent of canal-building with flat sections between flights of locks) where you'd either install cable haulage or have extra locos push and/or pull your trains up the gradient (e.g the Birmingham-Gloucester route which is essentially flat for its entire length other than two miles of 1-in-37 to get over the Lickey Hills.).

The signalling issue isn't one unique to Britain, but simply that the faster you want to run your trains the further apart your signals have to be since the trains are covering more ground in a given time and need more distance between them (essentially like the following distance between cars - it goes up with speed). UK main lines don't have signalling suitable for running faster than 125mph (other than for experimental purposes). As twisto mentioned, the APT was an attempt to build a train that would fit the infrastructure rather than making the infrastructure fit the trains; as well as the tilting bodies to allow it to go faster around 'non-high-speed' curvature, it had specially-designed hydrokinetic brakes to allow it to stop from high speeds within the existing signalling distances. The weird design of the train - with two power cars sandwiched together in the middle with unpowered carriages and control cars either side - was to allow it to work on the existing overhead electrification equipment (which otherwise needs to be designed for both the power demand and the aerodynamic and mechanical forces of multiple pantographs zooming along at 140+mph). Because Britain was the only country that was trying to have high-speed rail without actually building high-speed rail, all this stuff had to be developed from scratch with the sadly predictable result that the APT simply didn't work as it was supposed to.

There are plenty of cases where Victorian laissez-faire is still affecting the railway network though, because it put together piecemeal by capitalists in competition with each other (most efficient allocation of resources, dontchaknow...). Before the Beeching Axe there were plenty of stupid duplications like this (two stations backing on to each other on separate lines run by different companies with no interconnection between the two) or this (two lines running from the same place to the same place on different sides of the same valley because two rival companies didn't like each other) or this (three stations for England's smallest city, owned by two different companies, all physically standing on the same bit of railway line within a few yards of each other but with entirely separate services to different destinations) or this (two railway companies agree to build an Anglo-Scottish trunk route, one from each end, meeting at a small village in Yorkshire. But they have a falling out when it comes to running passenger services, so they each build a station on one side of a viaduct and glower at each other across the valley, forcing passengers to change trains by walking across the viaduct next to perfectly good, but unused, rails).

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 10, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

BalloonFish posted:

There are plenty of cases where Victorian laissez-faire is still affecting the railway network though, because it put together piecemeal by capitalists in competition with each other (most efficient allocation of resources, dontchaknow...). Before the Beeching Axe there were plenty of stupid duplications like this (two stations backing on to each other on separate lines run by different companies with no interconnection between the two) or this (two lines running from the same place to the same place on different sides of the same valley because two rival companies didn't like each other) or this (three stations for England's smallest city, owned by two different companies, all physically standing on the same bit of railway line within a few yards of each other but with entirely separate services to different destinations) or this (two railway companies agree to build an Anglo-Scottish trunk route, one from each end, meeting at a small village in Yorkshire. But they have a falling out when it comes to running passenger services, so they each build a station on one side of a viaduct and glower at each other across the valley, forcing passengers to change trains by walking across the viaduct next to perfectly good, but unused, rails).

I just show people a map of railway lines around Lewisham or Bow whenever they try to tell me how efficient the free market is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's like the 'Legion' episode of Red Dwarf, except more nightmarish because Tories.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Paging Red Oktober - I see you raised your £10k on the crowdfund!

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/mpb

Well done!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Payndz posted:

It's like the 'Legion' episode of Red Dwarf, except more nightmarish because Tories.

Is there anything that the presence of Tories doesn't make more nightmarish?
In fact, now I type those dread words, I'm wondering what a Photoshop thread along those lines would turn out like other than nightmarish, of course.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I do like Vimes having a wee Norn Iron accent...

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rPUK150Zn4&t=34s

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/IBJIYONGI/status/1314950410503938048?s=19

Forensic

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Looking at the covid data today and it looks like Northern Ireland was on the same sort of track as the north of England but cases have now plummeted again.

What are the current rules in NI?

Oct 4, 2005

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1226292/brexit-news-boris-johnson-trade-deal-US-chlorinated-chicken-jeremy-corbyn-labour-party

"Corbyn’s scaremongering DASHED: Chlorinated chicken will be made illegal vow Tories"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-chlorinated-chicken-eu-mps-boris-johnson-b914047.html?utm_source=reddit.com

"Brexit: Anger as ministers use obscure rule to deny MPs a vote on blocking chlorinated chicken imports"

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

is there a role in government for someone to pick out all the weird and obscure rules and then sit on them until they can be whipped out at an opportune moment? I'm imagining Johnny Five-Aces but with parliamentary rules

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

is there a role in government for someone to pick out all the weird and obscure rules and then sit on them until they can be whipped out at an opportune moment? I'm imagining Johnny Five-Aces but with parliamentary rules

I'm pretty sure that's Jacob Rees-Mogg's hobby rather than his job

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Haha get hosed corbyn, that thing you were concerned about is no longer a concern. Bet you're LIVID about that!

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Haha get hosed corbyn, that thing you were concerned about is no longer a concern. Bet you're LIVID about that!

Narrator: it was still a concern

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kecske posted:

Reading the article in the Independent, the rule they are arguing is over how this Bill or Amendment would involve the use of State Finances so shouldn't be allowed as that is the job of Government.
This is something that the FG Government seemed to discover in 2018/2019 because they were using it all the time on opposition Bills.

It is one which is within the letter of the Law (since any form of Government action will involve even a nominal spending of money for printing copies of the Bill, having lawyers look at it etc... But we are talking hundreds if not thousands of euros at the most. )
Where as the spirit of the Bill is (the arguably) to stop Bill's which would require the Government to spend millions if not billions of Euros.

So while this provision is obscure it has been used a lot in recent years and is hardly an unknown or arcane spell.

Edit: It's known as money messaging. Here is an article about it.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/what-is-the-d%C3%A1il-money-message-argument-about-1.4073511

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 11, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Looking at the covid data today and it looks like Northern Ireland was on the same sort of track as the north of England but cases have now plummeted again.

What are the current rules in NI?

the heavies told the virus if it didn't leave their communities alone it would get its kneecaps handed till it in a carrier beg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/JasonHazeley/status/1315224170569986048?s=20

Bit loving on the nose that.

Worth remembering that Lord West was put in the Lords by Labour, as a Labour peer.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 11, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I need to join a union and can't make my mind up between Unite and the CWU. (I'm a computer-toucher, so either is appropriate.) Can the thread decide for me?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1315236472841068547https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1315238049043763200https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1315239681915670528

adonis appears to be drunk at 11am

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Both as far as I know are pretty good, the CWU was going to go on strike last xmas and the government decided they weren't allowed.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My friend has just had his notification to self isolate for 14 days through track and trace this morning, dated 30th September. Which is nice.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1315221860062298112?s=19

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1314969477663141891?s=09

Tories are shits, news at 11.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Worth remembering that Lord West was put in the Lords by Labour, as a Labour peer.
Thought he hanged himself in prison, but seems Blunkett let him out and made him a peer.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Pistol_Pete posted:

I need to join a union and can't make my mind up between Unite and the CWU. (I'm a computer-toucher, so either is appropriate.) Can the thread decide for me?
Isn't CWU a branch of IWGB? You might be able to dual-card, check with CWU if they have a discounted rate for dual carders

Worthwhile imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nah he made good off his tinned fish empire and they made him a peer.

Borrovan posted:

Isn't CWU a branch of IWGB? You might be able to dual-card, check with CWU if they have a discounted rate for dual carders

Worthwhile imo

Is it?? I thought IWGB was much newer than CWU, CWU is the postal service union. And presumably telecoms and poo poo.

E: Yeah CWU is from 1995 and formed from other unions merging, IWGB was 2012.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 11, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1315056629239500805?s=20

Can't believe that trollop didn't earn her title. Outrageous!

Borrovan posted:

Worthwhile imo

Nah, CWU goes back to a merger of UCW & NCU in '95 (poo poo MP Alan Johnson was head of the UCW until the merger)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/1315056629239500805?s=20

Can't believe that trollop didn't earn her title. Outrageous!
Listen, are prince worked hard to come out of the royal vagina, gawdrestersoul, and that fackin yank thinks she can come over ere, and take are inherited title?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could go with an elective monarchy if you wanted people to earn their royal titles.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCwPPmhILI

Hah, I was just saying last night about the catastrophe of South London's railways and this guy (massive thanks to whoever sent me the link to his channel) puts out a video about another example of the amazing efficiency of the Free Market.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

He's not wrong about people needing to read more Wells, particularly the non-fiction.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Paging Red Oktober - I see you raised your £10k on the crowdfund!

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/mpb

Well done!

I did indeed - thank you for noticing! And in amazing news we won another £5k from the https://city-spark.co.uk/ awards - and have made inroads with the MOJ to start hiring some ex-offenders into customer facing roles when we open!

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqCwPPmhILI

Hah, I was just saying last night about the catastrophe of South London's railways and this guy (massive thanks to whoever sent me the link to his channel) puts out a video about another example of the amazing efficiency of the Free Market.

Lol - that was in reply to me and today I fire up YouTube, see this in my subscriptions and had exactly the same thought.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1315208535945490432?s=19

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

What a precious toddler she was, having been born in 1979.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

"...which is why I think it's great that we're being grown up and absolutely refusing to put any kind of gap between us and them".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

communism bitch posted:

She was 10 in 1989. That's plenty old enough to notice that the government are getting some stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

communism bitch posted:

And here was me just thinking about the decade of austerity we just experienced