Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Somfin posted:

The best moment of board gaming in my life was actually nailing someone with a hotel on boardwalk, something I thought was a pure theoretical

That and getting the one shot instant kill crit on the White Lion on turn one in Kingdom Death Monster

I'm a simple man of simple tastes. I prefer the thrill of having someone land on your transportation company after rolling a 12. It can happen from the first turn, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Tangentially related matter I'd like some help with.

A brazilian friend (well, not anymore, but we have friends in common) has recently visited the USA and is having his phase of "OMG it's the land of liberty, virtuous capitalism with no corruption or flaws". I can relate, since it happened to me...20 years ago, when i first visited. Me and a few others have tried to temper his outlook a bit, but he's adamant that RICO is perfect and inescapable and all corruption is found and punished. He's a lawyer, by the by.

We brought up presidential pardons of crooks, no one being indicted afterthe financial crash, even the Dupont heirs skating free from rape and murder, and he said those were different.

Are there any big cases of unpunished corruption, graft, and other shenanigans that you consider flagrant and emblematic?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somfin posted:

The best moment of board gaming in my life was actually nailing someone with a hotel on boardwalk, something I thought was a pure theoretical

That and getting the one shot instant kill crit on the White Lion on turn one in Kingdom Death Monster

I once punched up 3 points in a single round of Twilight Imperium catapulting me from 3rd place to a win. My life has plateaued from there.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Tangentially related matter I'd like some help with.

A brazilian friend (well, not anymore, but we have friends in common) has recently visited the USA and is having his phase of "OMG it's the land of liberty, virtuous capitalism with no corruption or flaws". I can relate, since it happened to me...20 years ago, when i first visited. Me and a few others have tried to temper his outlook a bit, but he's adamant that RICO is perfect and inescapable and all corruption is found and punished. He's a lawyer, by the by.

We brought up presidential pardons of crooks, no one being indicted afterthe financial crash, even the Dupont heirs skating free from rape and murder, and he said those were different.

Are there any big cases of unpunished corruption, graft, and other shenanigans that you consider flagrant and emblematic?

robosigning is a fun one

we made it legal for banks to falsify paperwork so they could steal your house, congress passed a law to get them to stop, and Barack "The Good Guy" Obama vetoed it on the grounds it would be too financially damaging to the big banks if they couldn't commit fraud at your expense

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about in the second example

Basically it was a jackpot- rolled a hit, the damage was a critical hit (10 sided die came up 10), the "wound" deck gave me the one card (out of like 30 cards) that has an instant kill option if you crit and then roll an additional die and it comes up 10, and I got it. It was the first attack of the first round.

That game is real rough if the fights are allowed to go too long, too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I literally don't get which part of my statement you are even disagreeing with?

You are taking a loving video game where the win conditions have been set and people have preassigned roles. There is no win where the imposter just. . .lives among others and doesn't kill, the win conditions require them to attempt to kill the other players. You are taking a very deep and nuanced subject and boiling it down to a binary good/bad and win/lose setting. You are being reductive by the nature of this.

VictualSquid posted:

Games can easily be examples of organisations and they can represent structures that exist outside of the game. Do you seriously consider that fact questioned by your exaggeration that any depiction must always strongly brainwash people into agreeing with them?

They can represent structures that exist outside of the game, but by cutting us off from being able to. . .investigate or temporarily corral suspicious people, the rules are once again forcing us into a binary 'Do we kill/Do we not kill' on the side of the non-imposters. My exaggeration was pointing out that if you are calling the voting process 'anarchism' then by that logic crowning a king in checkers is monarchism. Clearly I aimed too high.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

E-Tank posted:

They can represent structures that exist outside of the game, but by cutting us off from being able to. . .investigate or temporarily corral suspicious people, the rules are once again forcing us into a binary 'Do we kill/Do we not kill' on the side of the non-imposters. My exaggeration was pointing out that if you are calling the voting process 'anarchism' then by that logic crowning a king in checkers is monarchism. Clearly I aimed too high.
Crowning a king in checkers is a simplified representation of monarchism. I admit that among us is so simplified that the voting process is a representation of all variants of direct democracy and not only anachism.

I do think that your?* initial argument that all ideas of justice can be reduced to a classification as adversarial or inquisitorial and so on is already excessively reductive. And so using a simplified example is perfectly justified. Especially as I still have no idea where direct democratic votes land in your classification, simplified or not.

?*are you even the same guy I was initially replying to?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

Crowning a king in checkers is a simplified representation of monarchism. I admit that among us is so simplified that the voting process is a representation of all variants of direct democracy and not only anachism.

I do think that your?* initial argument that all ideas of justice can be reduced to a classification as adversarial or inquisitorial and so on is already excessively reductive. And so using a simplified example is perfectly justified. Especially as I still have no idea where direct democratic votes land in your classification, simplified or not.

?*are you even the same guy I was initially replying to?

I first butted in on the Among Us statement you made. Justice is ultimately the attempt to decide who 'deserves' what, which I have issues with because we have that little lizard brain in the back of our heads that gets enjoyment of people getting their 'just desserts', and has been used to otherize and dehumanize others multiple times, such as with convicts being considered lesser human beings because 'they did a crime once', and being discriminated against.

My personal belief regarding justice should be 'What is best for all involved, including the one who did the offense', with some understanding regarding what might have led to these circumstances. The 'law' such as it is currently is draconian in that if you do a crime is the end all, be all. Sometimes even simply being accused of a crime will haunt you, even if you're entirely exonerated.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

E-Tank posted:

I first butted in on the Among Us statement you made. Justice is ultimately the attempt to decide who 'deserves' what, which I have issues with because we have that little lizard brain in the back of our heads that gets enjoyment of people getting their 'just desserts', and has been used to otherize and dehumanize others multiple times, such as with convicts being considered lesser human beings because 'they did a crime once', and being discriminated against.

My personal belief regarding justice should be 'What is best for all involved, including the one who did the offense', with some understanding regarding what might have led to these circumstances. The 'law' such as it is currently is draconian in that if you do a crime is the end all, be all. Sometimes even simply being accused of a crime will haunt you, even if you're entirely exonerated.
I essentially agree with what you say here.

And it is actually part of why I brought up the analogy. Because it is a system where the accused gets a equal vote in the proceedings. Which goes against the tendency of dehumanization most official justice/enforcement systems.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Crowning a king in checkers is a simplified representation of monarchism.

Wtf, no it's not. Not in any single possible way other than nomenclature. To claim otherwise is so unimaginably stupid that I cannot begin to describe how stupid it is. It would take a series of words that cannot be created by mortal man, an inspiration that is not only divine in nature but divine in it's construction as well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Wtf, no it's not. Not in any single possible way other than nomenclature. To claim otherwise is so unimaginably stupid that I cannot begin to describe how stupid it is. It would take a series of words that cannot be created by mortal man, an inspiration that is not only divine in nature but divine in it's construction as well.
OK. I bow to your superior expertise on the history of checkers.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

OK. I bow to your superior expertise on the history of checkers.

No, please, expound on how the stacking of chips in a board game in any way represents dynastic succession. I'd loving love to hear it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

No, please, expound on how the stacking of chips in a board game in any way represents dynastic succession. I'd loving love to hear it.
Ok, I might be confusing it with a different game, which is a simplification of chess. And that I originally learned to play with chess figures instead of with chips, even.
And even though it lost the representation of the monarchic legend that the monarch is the only important part of the realm that is needed for it's survival, there is still an -- admittedly much weaker -- representation of the "king" as a measurably superior being compared to the peasants.

Actually the checkers->monarchism thing was brought up by someone else initially. You should ask them why they think checkers should represent monarchism instead of generic dictatorships.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the general idea of "if you walk to the other end of the board you get superpowers" doesn't seem... very much to do with any sort of governing system?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the general idea of "if you walk to the other end of the board you get superpowers" doesn't seem... very much to do with any sort of governing system?

But, "if the king dies the realm is dead, everybody should die to protect him" does. It is the same king, just in a new fanfic.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That.. isn't how checkers works as far as I know, or chess, you don't get more kings if you get to the other end, and crowned pieces don't make you lose the game they're just better.

Unless checkers is different from draughts?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 11, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

The pieces are usually called men, stones, "peón" (pawn) or a similar term; men promoted to kings are called dames or ladies.
Given that the method of crowning is to have one man top another, whereupon both become dames, the whole thing sounds more like an extended sex metaphor using the gay slang of the 70s than an analogy of monarchy.

Do they let children play this?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

But, "if the king dies the realm is dead, everybody should die to protect him" does. It is the same king, just in a new fanfic.

If the king dies, his son inherits the throne. That is what dynastic rule means. "The king is dead, long live the king."

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Checkers admits multiple kings per side so it represents the spectrum from anarchy through monarchy and then to polyarchy/oligarchy. This is very important to get right because Checkers has anything too do with actually systems of governance and real world power, for example the fact that Men can only move diagonally forwards but never sideways, straight forwards, nor any flavor of backwards absent the Divine Right Of Kings. In the rest of this TED talk,

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That.. isn't how checkers works as far as I know, or chess, you don't get more kings if you get to the other end, and crowned pieces don't make you lose the game they're just better.

Unless checkers is different from draughts?
I have no idea, I don't know how to play checkers or draughts.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VictualSquid posted:

In chess, the king never dies. You put him in a situation with no retreat, and then force a surrender, which wins you the battle. It hearkens back to a time when monarchs did lead their troops into battle.

But even then, it's an abstract. You don't bring bishops into battle because they're really good at running at an angle, and you don't bring a castle with you because they're motorized and run down the enemy. Armies don't take turns standing there and letting one person move at a time either. You also certainly don't bring the queen into battle and expect her to run across the battlefield and start murdering the enemy side with reckless abandon.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

If the king dies, his son inherits the throne. That is what dynastic rule means. "The king is dead, long live the king."

Arthur became "king" by drawing a sword from a stone and after his death nobody took over.
I see that Arthur or a chess king is not a king by your definition, I don't see this strict definition as relevant for any part of the argument that started this derail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King arthur wasn't real though...

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

In chess, the king never dies. You put him in a situation with no retreat, and then force a surrender, which wins you the battle. It hearkens back to a time when monarchs did lead their troops into battle.

But even then, it's an abstract. You don't bring bishops into battle because they're really good at running at an angle, and you don't bring a castle with you because they're motorized and run down the enemy. Armies don't take turns standing there and letting one person move at a time either. You also certainly don't bring the queen into battle and expect her to run across the battlefield and start murdering the enemy side with reckless abandon.
Of course it is an abstract. btw. I don't bring bishops bc I live in an area where the piece is called something else, I regularly play with people who call the queen or the towers something else.
But the king is still the king in basically all variants.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

OK, I see that you all are opposed to overanalysing games for political meaning.

How about a variant of among us comes out. Where there is a cop character assigned and it is impossible to win without cooperating with him.
Would you say that it is unlikely that the creator of this new variant has different political views then the creators of the original?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most places the bishop is some kind of cannon, officer, or battle elephant.

A rook (from Persian rukh) is a chariot, but lots of places call it a tower, in Eastern Europe the queen is a chancellor.

In summary it's a probably a poor system of governance and the game where men jump over each other in order to get topped and become dames sounds a lot more fun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sephyr posted:

The Trump presidency.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This thread took a turn. Remember when the only time games and libertarianism intersected was when they complained that Caesar III didn't allow you to be an ancap?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

OK, I see that you all are opposed to overanalysing games for political meaning.

How about a variant of among us comes out. Where there is a cop character assigned and it is impossible to win without cooperating with him.
Would you say that it is unlikely that the creator of this new variant has different political views then the creators of the original?

Honestly we're probably not, we've just gotten all tangled up here.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

King arthur wasn't real though...

As real as the possibility of an ancap state.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

*reads worst series of comments ever involving board game metaphors*

Okay which one of you bitches is Bret Weinstein?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Golbez posted:

This thread took a turn. Remember when the only time games and libertarianism intersected was when they complained that Caesar III didn't allow you to be an ancap?

Super Mario Brothers Review: the platforming is fun, I enjoyed homesteading the different power-ups by mixing my labor with the question blocks, but disappointed there is no option to tell the princess bootstrap herself to her own rescue which would surely be more effective

E: also she is too old to be a realistic love interest for a libertarian plumber

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Not if he "rescued" her via some kind of underground pipeline.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

VictualSquid posted:

I mean, there are explicitly political games. Tammany Hall, Twilight Struggle, Wir Sind Das Volk, etc. They're probably the best starting point if you're trying to set something like this up, but even then the game is usually a game first and a historical simulator second.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Guavanaut posted:

Most places the bishop is some kind of cannon, officer, or battle elephant.

A rook (from Persian rukh) is a chariot, but lots of places call it a tower, in Eastern Europe the queen is a chancellor.

In summary it's a probably a poor system of governance and the game where men jump over each other in order to get topped and become dames sounds a lot more fun.

I looked up the source of that image to see what the other pieces' maps looked like (here) and wow, Estonia really likes doing its own thing.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

https://newrepublic.com/article/159...campaign=buffer

quote:

When a group of libertarians set about scrapping their local government, chaos descended. And then the bears moved in.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Was just about to post this, amazing piece. The black bear population of New Hampshire was just collectively like gently caress these libertarian shitholes. Also the implication that from a Darwinian standpoint humans in New Hampshire overall are losing due to human infighting over how to live free without the burdens of the state or taxes but the correct way. I for one welcome our new black bear overlords.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is a pro click. Just complete and total incompetence the whole way through, so, standard libertarian affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Like ancient man was somehow able to deal with wild animals existing like wolves that were straight up competing for food and because of that humanity still exists today, black bears just want to be left the gently caress alone and the free market couldn't cope in even the most basic ways lmao