Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Worklurker posted:

It specially notes that it was done in a lab setting. I.e. room tempature, no uv light.
So like inside anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

mystes posted:

So like inside anywhere.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

*sobbing, washing my groceries*

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
dont worry about it. just go to a restaurant and lick the floor who cares

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

snoo posted:

:sympathy:

snoo was right

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
nm

Bruce Hussein Daddy has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Oct 12, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Quote from the article

quote:

“At 20C, which is about room temperature, we found that the virus was extremely robust, surviving for 28 days on smooth surfaces such as glass found on mobile phone screens.”

Similar experiments for Influenza A found it survived on surfaces for 17 days.

Further experiments were carried out at 30C and 40C, with survival times for the Sars-CoV-2 virus decreasing as the temperature increased.

“While the precise role of surface transmission, the degree of surface contact and the amount of virus required for infection is yet to be determined, establishing how long this virus remains viable on surfaces is critical for developing risk-mitigation strategies in high-contact areas,” Eagles said.

ACDP director, Professor Trevor Drew, said the research may help explain the apparent persistence and spread of Sars-CoV-2 in cool environments such as meat processing facilities and how that might be better addressed.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

snoo posted:

"Conversely, nebulized saline has been shown to decrease the number of bio-aerosols produced, and has been suggested as a possible (but unproven) infection control strategy."

Aerosolize those tears and inhale them instead, and they may reduce the risk of you spreading the disease. Perhaps that is why the implied stance of authorities worldwide is "cry harder".

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

how has it been ?? however many months and they still haven't figured out how long it's infectious on surfaces for

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

if it lasts for 28 days and you gotta do the experiment multiple times then publish time on top of that

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they never mention if its merely detectable or if its also still infectious after that time do they?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

im always curious about how they do these studies. is it like purestrain sars-cov2, perfect in form, stuck on an iphone screen or do they test it sitting in a snot bath or what?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
BYOF rental agreements aren't rare or strange. lol like the majority of apartments are floorless to start.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah, that's the next step in the research. They now know how long it survives on different surfaces at different temp, so next is determining how viable and infectious it remains during that time.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

BYOF rental agreements aren't rare or strange. lol like the majority of apartments are floorless to start.

Considering how long COVID-19 can survive on surfaces, maybe the dutch had it right all along.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

since we still don't know yet, then it doesn't hurt to personally disinfect objects and surfaces that others may have coughed on, so there :colbert: if i wash my hands why not wash the objects i will be touching then wash my hands again huh

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

snoo posted:

I know people keep telling you that your precautions are insane

my wife is immunocompromised, we literally have done nothing since March but leave the house to ride our bicycles and get super buff (we're so buff)

You read this forum and see people posting about how their dad went to play cards and is dying now, or their mom went to tea once and is sick because of their server (who didn't ask for this poo poo)

stay strong, do the right thing. Things will get worse before they get better.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

trying to think of a good fomite themed username

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

hoard fomite from universities

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gio posted:

28 Days Later

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Pingui posted:

28 Days Later

lol. thread title

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1315421346093051906?s=21

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

e: not sure how this double posted

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pingui posted:

28 Days Later

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pingui posted:

28 Days Later

lmao

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Pingui posted:

28 Days Later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbwlGv9SWfY

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Gio posted:

fomite the right

fomitey mighty boss tones

fomite island

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Gio posted:

when you post is it a forumite transmission?

I got nothin

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Pingui posted:

28 Days Later

Giga Gaia posted:

lol. thread title

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

eeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

my wife is immunocompromised, we literally have done nothing since March but leave the house to ride our bicycles and get super buff (we're so buff)

You read this forum and see people posting about how their dad went to play cards and is dying now, or their mom went to tea once and is sick because of their server (who didn't ask for this poo poo)

:( :respek: :(

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Helith posted:

snoo was right

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i've been washing my groceries too, since mid-march. haven't had anyone in my apartment since then either. mask on outside at all times, i have a set of outside clothes i keep by the front door, blocked off so my cat can't sit on it. That's also the non-perishable grocery and package quarantine zone (whoops looks like that 3-6 day quarantine period ive been doing may not be enough anyways :sad:). Always got hand sanitizer on me, and shower when i get home.

everyone else is loving crazy lol

im so tired of doing this poo poo

Swaegsthetics
Jul 8, 2013

Pingui posted:

That is obviously a cockroach, not a dog.

... it's a cone of fries with generous dollop of mayo, stuck in the side pocket of a messenger bag worn on left hip

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I used to be extremely socially anxious and I used to stop breathing when crossing people on the sidewalk in case they got mad I outbreathed near them. especially in winter when breath is visible.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sup fellow breath holder

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Rah! posted:

i've been washing my groceries too, since mid-march. haven't had anyone in my apartment since then either. mask on outside at all times, i have a set of outside clothes i keep by the front door, blocked off so my cat can't sit on it. That's also the non-perishable grocery and package quarantine zone (whoops looks like that 3-6 day quarantine period ive been doing may not be enough anyways :sad:). Always got hand sanitizer on me, and shower when i get home.

everyone else is loving crazy lol

im so tired of doing this poo poo

:hai:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pingui posted:

28 Days Later

Giga Gaia posted:

lol. thread title

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have become far more aware of just how much stuff other people touch while out in public, like I don't think I'll ever touch the button on the road crossing ever again with my fingers and the other day in the supermarket I wanted a capsicum and another woman was picking hers and she touched about 6 of them before deciding on one.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Helith posted:

Bad news everyone!

https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1315398531218321413

The more we find out about this virus, the less I like it.

gently caress yeah the covid is coming from inside the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Helith posted:

snoo was right