Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

I feel like MJ should have a say in that too.
What happened to her anyway? After shooting that film, she was supposed to be in witness protection in some dead place. Was that series canceled?

Unfortunately that mini was a casualty of the pandemic.

MJ's supposed to be playing a role in this arc, though, according to solicitations. Presumably they'll just say the whole witness protection thing is another ploy to keep her out of the way until the time is right.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

My random guess is that Kindred is more of a concept personified than a pre-existing character. He’s the idea of family, or inheritance, legacy, love/connection, something like that, and he’ll manifest with different faces, making the guesses that he’s Harry, Gwen, baby May etc, all simultaneously correct.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

My random guess is that Kindred is more of a concept personified than a pre-existing character. He’s the idea of family, or inheritance, legacy, love/connection, something like that, and he’ll manifest with different faces, making the guesses that he’s Harry, Gwen, baby May etc, all simultaneously correct.

What if it's the Peter that would have existed without OMD?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's the Looter.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Kindred is Joe Quesada

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-postpone-eternals-2021/

What are the odds that this is because the initial numbers were way below what they wanted? I mean, the movie getting pushed back is a good excuse, but if the numbers were good they would sell it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lord_Hambrose posted:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-postpone-eternals-2021/

What are the odds that this is because the initial numbers were way below what they wanted? I mean, the movie getting pushed back is a good excuse, but if the numbers were good they would sell it.

Nah, I'd say it's most likely because of the movie getting delayed until who knows when. This also gives them time to put more issues in the can.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, giving Esad Ribic more time is probably smart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, giving Esad Ribic more time is probably smart.

Absolutely. Imagine if Marvel had waited for him to finish SW before they relaunch.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, I'd say it's most likely because of the movie getting delayed until who knows when. This also gives them time to put more issues in the can.

it got delayed less than two months, but the movie got delayed til November 2021. I doubt there's much of a connection

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Absolutely. Imagine if Marvel had waited for him to finish SW before they relaunch.

It kinda recreated the original Secret Wars in a way. What's this, why does Spider-Man have a new all black costume? Read Secret Wars to find out.

What's this, why is Doctor Doom suddenly handsome and scar free? Read Secret Wars to find out.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gatts posted:

Kindred is Joe Quesada

Kindred is another clone leftover from the clone saga. He just never bothered showing up until now because he inherited Peter's most debilitating power, his immense laziness.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

It kinda recreated the original Secret Wars in a way. What's this, why does Spider-Man have a new all black costume? Read Secret Wars to find out.

What's this, why is Doctor Doom suddenly handsome and scar free? Read Secret Wars to find out.
The difference is that the 1984 version was a marketing plan, and the 2015 version was because they didn't want to just not publish comics for three months while Secret Wars wrapped up late.

In 1984, they had various hints that something mysterious and powerful was coming in comics released in November and December 1983. Then in the same month, all of the heroes were drawn to Central Park and disappeared in a flash of light. Readers were pointed to Secret Wars to find out what happened.

Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #1 is released on January 24, 1984. A week later, Spider-Man's black costume debuts in Amazing Spider-Man #252, with a tease that its origin would be revealed in the SW mini-series.

Within a few weeks, all of the significant characters/changes from the Secret Wars mini are revealed when everyone teleports back: (the Avengers return without She-Hulk and with Iron Man in her place, the Fantastic Four return with She-Hulk in tow instead of the Thing, the Thing's solo series reveals that he stayed on Battleworld) and the idea is almost a "One Year Later" deal where you're supposed to read Secret Wars for the next year to find out why all these changes happen.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man's black costume gets revealed in August with Secret Wars #8, but by that point Amazing Spider-Man #258 had already been released a couple of weeks earlier and Reed Richards had separated Peter from the symbiote and stuck it in a jar. And no one ever talked about the black costume or the symbiote ever again!

Contrast this with the 2015 version of Secret Wars:

Secret Wars #8 (solicited as the final issue of the event) was originally scheduled to come out in October 2015, with Invincible Iron Man #1 (where scar-free Victor Von Doom debuts) scheduled to come out a week later to launch the "All New All Different" Marvel thing.

Instead, Secret Wars slipped repeatedly so #6 came out in October, and then they added a ninth issue to the end so the Secret Wars event didn't wrap up until January 2016, at which point the post-Secret Wars universe was already in full swing, with several books on their fourth or fifth issue thanks to doubleshipping. So while a bunch of stuff (unscarred Doom, Reed & Sue "dead", Miles Morales and Old Man Logan in 616, etc.) got 'spoiled', it was less a marketing tactic than a scheduling issue.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Sorry to go off topic but can someone help me locate a Spider-Man issue from the early 90s? Spider-man was tutoring this massive hulk-like creature on how to be a super hero or something like that. Any help?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Sorry to go off topic but can someone help me locate a Spider-Man issue from the early 90s? Spider-man was tutoring this massive hulk-like creature on how to be a super hero or something like that. Any help?

Was it Captain Zero? Not quite Hulk-level but definitely oversized, simple-minded, and strong enough to cause significant structural damage while trying to be a super hero.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Was it Captain Zero? Not quite Hulk-level but definitely oversized, simple-minded, and strong enough to cause significant structural damage while trying to be a super hero.

That's the one! Thank you very much. I read it as a young child and just equated Captain Zero's size to much bigger than Spider-Man, thus "Hulk-size"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've been reading this collection of Typhoid Mary stories and I gotta be honest, I do not feel like this character is a very good exploration of mental illness, trauma, or feminism.

It's fun to see her costume change. It changes not only from issue to issue, but sometimes from one page to the next. It's like every artist was tasked with designing the absolute sexiest lady supervillain costume they could and it causes some kind of stack overflow where the costume is so sexy it looks horrible and they have to keep trying again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I've been reading this collection of Typhoid Mary stories and I gotta be honest, I do not feel like this character is a very good exploration of mental illness, trauma, or feminism.

It's fun to see her costume change. It changes not only from issue to issue, but sometimes from one page to the next. It's like every artist was tasked with designing the absolute sexiest lady supervillain costume they could and it causes some kind of stack overflow where the costume is so sexy it looks horrible and they have to keep trying again.

I'm not super familiar with the character (partially cause a lot of it is missing from Unlimited) but is it the original Ann Nocenti Daredevil stuff or later stuff?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

I'm not super familiar with the character (partially cause a lot of it is missing from Unlimited) but is it the original Ann Nocenti Daredevil stuff or later stuff?

It's this collection, Daredevil: Typhoid's Kiss

It starts with her meeting Wolverine, and then a story where she meets Ghost Rider, adn then a big meetup with her, Wolverine, new spiky Ghost Rider, Dardevil, and Steel Raven. And there's dialogue establishing that she had met Daredevil before so I'm guessing it's all after that original run

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

It's this collection, Daredevil: Typhoid's Kiss

It starts with her meeting Wolverine, and then a story where she meets Ghost Rider, adn then a big meetup with her, Wolverine, new spiky Ghost Rider, Dardevil, and Steel Raven. And there's dialogue establishing that she had met Daredevil before so I'm guessing it's all after that original run

Looking at the reviews it's definitely all later stuff, but still written by Nocenti.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Looking at the reviews it's definitely all later stuff, but still written by Nocenti.

Nocenti really likes stories about women deciding all men are evil and need to be killed, only to be talked down by a man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So I guess there was never supposed to be any shock value at all in Ultimate Peter Parker's death, eh? For six or seven issues leading up to it each issue is part of DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN: PRELUDE at the top of the covers. I guess it makes sense for juicing the sales.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

So I guess there was never supposed to be any shock value at all in Ultimate Peter Parker's death, eh? For six or seven issues leading up to it each issue is part of DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN: PRELUDE at the top of the covers. I guess it makes sense for juicing the sales.

You can sell a lot more issues if you build up to an important event by letting everyone know it's an important event ahead of time.

Plus if they'd tried to keep it secret some rear end in a top hat would have spoiled it online somehow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lobok posted:

Everyone thought Peter was just going to quit being Spider-man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Everyone thought Peter was just going to quit being Spider-man.

People thought the Death of Spider-Man event would end with Peter Parker alive?

I know he did eventually get better, but it happened several years after his death and right before the entire comic universe was being shuttered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

People thought the Death of Spider-Man event would end with Peter Parker alive?

I know he did eventually get better, but it happened several years after his death and right before the entire comic universe was being shuttered.

There was a lot of "there's no way they will kill Peter off" and in the clone saga Reed Richards said he could remove Peter's powers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can buy that some people thought "death" was about his superhero persona. The issues leading up to it have scenes about him maybe quitting. And Miles wasn't known yet to make it seem more likely Peter would be fully replaced.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Having just read the new Amazing Spidey, I can tell you that Kindred is Harry Osborn. I wonder if there will be any further twists though.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

"Death of Spider-Man" was only a couple of years after "Batman R.I.P.", a much-hyped storyline in which Batman did not die. He died* a few months later in Final Crisis, but didn't really die in that either. And when I say "didn't really die", they revealed within that story that he hadn't died.

"Death of Spider-Man" was right around the time that Johnny Storm died* in Hickman's Fantastic Four, and he gave an interview about how there's marketing pressure to spoil things like this just because the attention and sales garnered by BIG HERO IS GONNA DIE is always pretty major, and the perception is that anyone who doesn't read their comics first thing in the morning on the day of release is going to get spoiled on the big death anyway.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

"Death of Spider-Man" was only a couple of years after "Batman R.I.P.", a much-hyped storyline in which Batman did not die. He died* a few months later in Final Crisis, but didn't really die in that either. And when I say "didn't really die", they revealed within that story that he hadn't died.

"Death of Spider-Man" was right around the time that Johnny Storm died* in Hickman's Fantastic Four, and he gave an interview about how there's marketing pressure to spoil things like this just because the attention and sales garnered by BIG HERO IS GONNA DIE is always pretty major, and the perception is that anyone who doesn't read their comics first thing in the morning on the day of release is going to get spoiled on the big death anyway.

I didn't read read Hickman's F4 until after Johnny Storm came back, but there's 12 issues of Future Foundation where everyone in the comic thinks Johnny is dead and no indication to the reader he's alive, and at least the covers for the build up indicated someone was gonna die. The storyline is called "Three"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Depending on the hero the perception isn't fsr off. The Wednesday Civil War 6 came out every news shire was running a piece about Cap dying. Pissed a lot of people off to have that spoiled before stores even opened.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

nemesis_hub posted:

I wonder if there will be any further twists though.

I'd say the reveal was not worth waiting 2 years for. But I am also curious as to where this will go.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I didn't read read Hickman's F4 until after Johnny Storm came back, but there's 12 issues of Future Foundation where everyone in the comic thinks Johnny is dead and no indication to the reader he's alive, and at least the covers for the build up indicated someone was gonna die. The storyline is called "Three"

I knew that Johnny was going to come back because he's Johnny Storm and it's a comic book.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I rather enjoyed how he was resurrected. A bug ate his wounds and poo poo out repaired flesh.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Three storyline was pretty good. They were three simultaneous plots where members of the family were separated and dealing with poo poo that could potentially lead to their death. Reed with Galactus, Susan with Namor and fish people, Ben/Johnny with the bugs. It kinda played around with the idea of who was going to die. Then it’s Johnny who dies...

... only to reveal 11 months later than yeah Johnny Storm died. Only for Annihilus to bring him back and repeatedly kill him for fun. It didn’t take away from the original death but at the same time embraced the comic book-ness of heroes never dying.

Now Hickman is doing the same thing with X-Men on a grander scale.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Human Torch being booted out of ruling the Negaverse by the people demanding free elections is still one of my favorite things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm enjoying Captain Marvel but it feels like yet another storyline that doesn't take place on current-day MU Earth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Maybe I wasn't clear, the decision was made to promote/telegraph that "one of the Fantastic Four will die in a specific upcoming issue", not that it was a surprise. The linked interview talks through the decision process and how Hickman was hesitant to do so, but made peace with it and thought it was the right thing to do. I wasn't saying that they didn't tell you "one of the Fantastic Four will die in this specific issue", because they did.

I also appreciate that narratively they didn't confirm Johnny Storm wasn't really dead for about a year, I put the asterisk there solely to avoid someone going "oh ho ho ho, but I think you will find that Johnny Storm did not actually die!"

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Depending on the hero the perception isn't fsr off. The Wednesday Civil War 6 came out every news shire was running a piece about Cap dying. Pissed a lot of people off to have that spoiled before stores even opened.
To this point, there was some annoyance from comic retailers/fans surrounding all of this, in that there were rumors that Captain America would die in Civil War, and when the delayed series finally wrapped up Captain America was not dead and people assumed they either changed the ending or the rumors were false. Then Marvel kept sending retailers content-free "hey you should up your orders on Captain America #25. Just saying. Order more of it" which companies have done for various things, many of which amount to nothing. Not long afterwards they did a similar "psst just saying this is a really big book you should order more of" and it was just the New Avengers issue that reveals that Elektra had been replaced by a Skrull and was the kickoff of the Secret Invasion storyline, which is 'big' on some level, but not 'iconic character dies/gets married/etc', which is usually the level of those "you're gonna want more of this" blind items.

So because it is a bit of a crapshoot, some retailers listened, some did not. And then yes, Marvel's media contacts ended up running mainstream news stories (not Newsarama or CBR or whatever who would have probably been under an embargo, but like the New York Times and Entertainment Weekly) about how 'CAPTAIN AMERICA DIES IN CAPTAIN AMERICA #25' on Monday and Tuesday, not just before the stores opened but before they received the comic in some cases.

Both of these things I think have become normalized in the ensuing decade plus, though I think both Marvel and DC endeavor to be a little more transparent about it.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 14, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

It's hardly Current Events, but I've been following the old CMRO to finally read the mid-90s Spider-Man titles from the point at which I originally fell off. I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be, but good grief are they ever frustrating sometimes.

Oh, hey, there's a sentient and apparently empathic blob of slime in the sewers following around the conflict between Spider-Man and the Scorpion (who is, himself, going through a potentially interesting "quit the gig" character moment). Is this, like, a rogue piece of Man-Thing? What's going on?

nope it's a blob of slime now and forever simply referred to as "Slime" and it will never been seen or referred to again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I was all set to say "well, JM DeMatteis really loves writing sort of abstract philosophical musings into his comics, maybe he got distracted by the Spider-Clone Saga and never got around to developing the Slime Philosopher or it was going to be another Spider-Clone and someone said they hit their Spider-Clone limit" but no, apparently that arc was Mike Lackey and Tom DeFalco?

I still assume given the timing it was supposed to somehow be related to the Clones.