Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Gas stove tops are amazing. I'm so happy I left apartment life and have a gas stove again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I will never give up my gas stove. I've cooked on electric far too many times in my life to ever want to go back to that.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I'm making two small interior stud walls. What's my least expensive nail gun option for that situation?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

corgski posted:

I will never give up my gas stove. I've cooked on electric far too many times in my life to ever want to go back to that.

electric ranges look better tho

i don't really use my oven at all though, and the stovetop not that often

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Christoph posted:

I'm making two small interior stud walls. What's my least expensive nail gun option for that situation?

A hammer. Two small walls is not a job that requires a nailgun.

What I would recommend is getting a palm nailer, which can be useful for when you need to drive a nail in tight confines. Like, if you have 4" of space and need to toenail a nail or something, no hammer or nailgun is going to be able to do that job, but a palm nailer can.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

I will look into that right now, thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

electric ranges look better tho

That's entirely subjective and absolutely wrong in my opinion.

actionjackson posted:

i don't really use my oven at all though, and the stovetop not that often

So you don't cook. That was the point of my response. If you don't cook who cares.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

according to this consumer reports article, there are good and bad ranges in both categories, so it's less about electric vs. gas then specific models compared against each other.

https://www.consumerreports.org/ranges/gas-or-electric-range-which-is-better/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

according to this consumer reports article, there are good and bad ranges in both categories, so it's less about electric vs. gas then specific models compared against each other.

https://www.consumerreports.org/ranges/gas-or-electric-range-which-is-better/

No, it's really not.

Most cooks prefer gas. There are bad gas ranges, better ones and really good ones. Then there are pro level.

There are TONS of bad electric ranges, better ones, and really good pro ones.

I'd take a not totally bad gas range over anything other than a legit pro level electric any day, and I think you'll find most people who actually cook would agree. This is about the dynamics of how they cook. Not how good the quality of the device happens to be.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's pretty much as simple as: gas has an instant response to changes in the set temperature of the stovetop. You can turn the dial on and immediately start heating the food instead of waiting for the coil to warm up. You can turn a dial from full blast to off and the cookware immediately stops being heated. Electric has tons of inertia.

I've never used an induction stovetop, but apparently it fixes that problem with electric ranges. On the flipside, you need compatible cookware.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'd be interested in data showing the actual times, not that I don't believe you, but if it's instant vs. 5-10 seconds I don't really care, but if it's like 5 minutes than yeah

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HycoCam posted:

Air gaps didn't become code until 2016ish? You can have a functioning dishwasher without an air gap that empties into the sink. The back in the day installation method was to attach the dishwasher drainage line to the top of the cabinet, known as a high loop. You are basically making a trap so water from your sink drains will not fill up your dishwasher.

This is definitely on my list since I need about a 3' extension from my dishwasher drain tube to be able to loop. As it is the dishwasher side they chose and where my sink is is anti-optimized for the hose length.

I don't even know where my calipers are, are these things usually a standard fitting? I need whatever size fitting my disposer has as an extension, with the other end large enough to fit on the same disposer flange. Shoudl I just get whatever basic corrugated hose is sold or repurpose something with pipe clamps?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I'd be interested in data showing the actual times, not that I don't believe you, but if it's instant vs. 5-10 seconds I don't really care, but if it's like 5 minutes than yeah

On a gas range the time is zero. Literally zero.

On an electric it depends on the mass of the burner as well as the power of the burner. On cheap to mid line electric stoves it's a lot. It's minutes on the off side. It's a slow slope that last minutes on the heating side.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

I'll just echo what Motronic said... I had a string of rentals with gas and now I have electric and it's on my list to rectify. I've already run a new gas line to the wall, so the die is cast. If you don't care, which it sounds like you don't, then let it ride. Or get a countertop induction I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Motronic posted:

On a gas range the time is zero. Literally zero.

On an electric it depends on the mass of the burner as well as the power of the burner. On cheap to mid line electric stoves it's a lot. It's minutes on the off side. It's a slow slope that last minutes on the heating side.

Yeah, the biggest difference is at max for boiling and searing, because it runs hotter, and then the fast decrease when you turn it down to adjust or simmer.

I’d probably do induction if I built a new kitchen, for environmental reasons, but definitely not resistive elements or IR stuff.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yep I have gas right now so I know the heat change is pretty much instant.

the countertop induction with a separate oven is cool, but would be a lot more expensive and require some sort of modification to the space as there is currently a gap in the countertop due to the current range and above the range microwave

what is the difference between a freestanding and slide-in range?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, the biggest difference is at max for boiling and searing, because it runs hotter, and then the fast decrease when you turn it down to adjust or simmer.

I’d probably do induction if I built a new kitchen, for environmental reasons, but definitely not resistive elements or IR stuff.

You're supposed to say you would get a full size combi oven!!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I grew up cooking on a gas range and have had nothing but electrics since I was 18. I do prefer gas ranges, but I cook seriously enough to call it a hobby and it's totally fine. A good electric range will heat evenly and once you learn the nuances of your particular range, it's not much of a limitation; the biggest annoyance is the inability to just shut off the heat, but then you just move the pan to a burner that was off. My new place doesn't have gas and I'm rolling with a full electric conversion for environmental reasons and I don't mind at all.

That said, when you already have a gas range that you're replacing, and you hardly cook, and you're looking at mid-tier or below ranges, I don't know why you wouldn't just go with another gas range.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've never used an induction stovetop, but apparently it fixes that problem with electric ranges. On the flipside, you need compatible cookware.

I'm not American so I've never seen a gas stove anyway, but I don't think I've seen any consumer-priced cookware that wasn't compatible with induction stoves in shops in the past 10-15 years :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hed posted:

You're supposed to say you would get a full size combi oven!!

I would, and an induction range!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just recently moved to a house with an electric stove for the first time in my life. It's a bit slower to heat up, but otherwise seems fine? Also seems to heat larger pans a little more evenly, but that might be in my head.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Just recently moved to a house with an electric stove for the first time in my life. It's a bit slower to heat up, but otherwise seems fine? Also seems to heat larger pans a little more evenly, but that might be in my head.

Don't worry about it, gas stoves are the fedora of the kitchen.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

M'dinner.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

That said, when you already have a gas range that you're replacing, and you hardly cook, and you're looking at mid-tier or below ranges, I don't know why you wouldn't just go with another gas range.

as I said, ridiculous gas permit prices due to my city being poo poo

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Induction is definitely starting to become the pro-chef's choice. Super fast and adjustable. Also, much safer.

If you have a gas range, you *must* have a decent, outdoor-exhausting hood with sufficient makeup air. The evidence is starting to mount that the combustion byproducts from gas ranges can lead to asthma and other respiratory issues, particularly in children.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

actionjackson posted:

what is the difference between a freestanding and slide-in range?

For installation? Like, pretty obviously you need a cabinet and countertop with a rough opening where there used to be a freestanding range. The dimentions of those things depends on what you have now and what you want to put in there.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm not American so I've never seen a gas stove anyway

Love these posts. Do you think America is the only place with gas ranges?

Slugworth posted:

If it's actually heating more evenly that probably says more about your cookware than the stove. Heavy bottom pans preform exceptionally well on gas vs electric. If you have light bottom pans you will have hots spots based on the burner pattern of a gas stove and the coil pattern of an electric. Typically the electric is going to have a wider heating area so it will work better with pans like that.

B-Nasty posted:

Induction is definitely starting to become the pro-chef's choice. Super fast and adjustable. Also, much safer.

I'd love one high power induction burner on my current gas range. Thing like that exist but are $texas

B-Nasty posted:

If you have a gas range, you *must* have a decent, outdoor-exhausting hood with sufficient makeup air. The evidence is starting to mount that the combustion byproducts from gas ranges can lead to asthma and other respiratory issues, particularly in children.

I'd say should not must......gas ranges are older than electric by far and most older places aren't sealed that well so makeup air isn't a big issue. Talking residential only here.

That being said, everyone should have a proper outdoor exhausting fan for cooking because of the other stuff you said. And basically because it's the only right way to do it. It's pretty unbelievable to me that resi in so many area allows recirc hoods or no hood at all.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I guess what I mean is, my retailer has several of the same products under both freestanding and slide-in so it's confusing. maybe by "slide-in" they mean built-in?

I would also say that if the poster who mentioned health issues is correct, then that'd be more an argument towards electric as I only have the venting from the microwave.

it seems a lot of models are just not in stock right now due to covid stuff I assume. I will be doing an LG set of appliances just based on recommendations, and almost nothing under 1k is available for electric or gas ranges atm. I have a bosch dishwasher, this would be fridge + ovens.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 12, 2020

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

actionjackson posted:

I guess what I mean is, my retailer has several of the same products under both freestanding and slide-in so it's confusing. maybe by "slide-in" they mean built-in?
Slide in means unfinished sides--you need cabinets on either side or you won't have a finished look. Freestanding can slide into the same spot as a slide-in.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I just spent 10 years cooking for 5 people on an electric stove with no problems, before buying a house with a gas range. While I do intellectually understand that this is an upgrade, it's stressing me the gently caress out. Am I low heating or no heating? Am I about to burn this? Did the loving thing go out again? Why do I smell gas lol

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

I would also say that if the poster who mentioned health issues is correct, then that'd be more an argument towards electric as I only have the venting from the microwave.

it seems a lot of models are just not in stock right now due to covid stuff I assume. I will be doing an LG set of appliances just based on recommendations, and almost nothing under 1k is available for electric or gas ranges atm. I have a bosch dishwasher, this would be fridge + ovens.
Find a good appliance dealer (not Lowesdepot) and they should be able to answer all these questions and more.

The appliance market is a little hosed at the moment like the lumber market because factories shut down thinking there would be no orders but everyone was stuck at home cooking instead of going out and wanted a new stove + interest rates being super low means everyone is refinancing/remodeling/buying/building a new house. My cousin is building a house and her move in date is basically being delayed because her fridge has been backordered for 4 months or something dumb.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Find a good appliance dealer (not Lowesdepot) and they should be able to answer all these questions and more.

The appliance market is a little hosed at the moment like the lumber market because factories shut down thinking there would be no orders but everyone was stuck at home cooking instead of going out and wanted a new stove + interest rates being super low means everyone is refinancing/remodeling/buying/building a new house. My cousin is building a house and her move in date is basically being delayed because her fridge has been backordered for 4 months or something dumb.

We've been waiting 4 months for a fridge in our new house lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

yeah we have a good local place here I'm using, just noticing that both them and home depot are having the same issues

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tactlessbastard posted:

I just spent 10 years cooking for 5 people on an electric stove with no problems, before buying a house with a gas range. While I do intellectually understand that this is an upgrade, it's stressing me the gently caress out. Am I low heating or no heating? Am I about to burn this? Did the loving thing go out again? Why do I smell gas lol

Not sure if you're referring to the range (stove top) or the oven.

Really no difference on the oven part between gas & electric.

For the range: boil water and fry an egg. Seriously. It's a great way to familiarize yourself with gas.

The main difference is temperature/heat control going from somewhat casual to instantaneous. You'll never have to pull a hot saucepan over to a 'cold' burner again.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

tactlessbastard posted:

Gas range has been an absolute game changer and I find myself cooking way more because it's so drat fun. I was trying to demonstrate to my SO that it was possible to heat up tortillas directly on the range, and proceeded to char the poo poo out of it and left a big mess on the grill.

I use a pan now.

I used to turn the fan on because I've always been told you should turn on the fan when using a gas range oven, but since I found out from here that fan doesn't vent to anywhere, I don't know if it makes a difference at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only electric Id consider buying is induction. Otherwise gas all the way. Plus the only not ugly electric stoves have glass tops which scratch and shatter.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bioshuffle posted:

Gas range has been an absolute game changer and I find myself cooking way more because it's so drat fun. I was trying to demonstrate to my SO that it was possible to heat up tortillas directly on the range, and proceeded to char the poo poo out of it and left a big mess on the grill.

I use a pan now.

I used to turn the fan on because I've always been told you should turn on the fan when using a gas range oven, but since I found out from here that fan doesn't vent to anywhere, I don't know if it makes a difference at all.

It'll spread the toxic gasses further for maximum effect.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

Really no difference on the oven part between gas & electric.

Since gas produces water vapor, it can have an effect on baked goods. Best range I ever had was dual fuel; gas cooktop and electric oven.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Since gas produces water vapor, it can have an effect on baked goods. Best range I ever had was dual fuel; gas cooktop and electric oven.

I regret not putting in a oven plug when we rewired the house. Going to a dual fuel would be awesome. They also don't heat up the house nearly as much because the venting isn't for combustion byproducts.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The house I rented a room in with like 6 other guys had a commercial gas range, and the oven would announce it was lit by going *boom* and exploding the oven door into the ground, where it would ricochet back up and smash into the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

You aren't allowed to hookup new gas lines here (and haven't been for quite a while) and my place didn't already have one when I bought it so that was out. The ancient electric at my old apartment was completely unusable for anything beyond boiling water so I was a bit concerned but the ~two year old mid-range electric that was already installed is totally fine (if a bit ugly) as long as you know you're not cooking on gas and use appropriate pans. I had an induction cooktop I was using at the apartment but it hasn't seen any real use since I've been here.