Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
The inability to even imagine the possibility of primitive to space fairing technological advancement that avoids relying on fossil fuels is its own form of Capitalist Realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Also I don't know if this was brought up in the list of concurrently happening crises that we're experiencing discussion from several pages back, but I would add the epistemological crisis into that, especially since it synergizes so well with the other crises and impedes collective solutions.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait till we find some peaceful species that has no military at all and then hear the justifications for why we have to annihilate them

we all knew this conflict was unavoidable when the NYT revealed the aliens were posting memes on facebook

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Call me crazy but I got from trusted sources some good news and bad news:

Good news: You puny humans didn't kill Gaia, she's currently in hospice in a planet impossibly out of reach to the demon cracker christcult, no matter their material tech.

Bad news: In a taste of your own hairless monkey medicine, y'all got an Interim Spirit ruling the planet! Aaand she's beyond pissed at Christendom and it's savages! She's gonna force y'all to take up mutual aid and community defense against literal creatures of the night you thought "supernatural". Oh and along with the usual climate disasters.:shrug:

I highly recommend not attempt even ironic hexes on Gaia, it'll go far worse than the babby witch hexes of on the moon, this is no longer a game.:stare:

staticman has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Oct 11, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kurzgesagt did a climate change video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbR-5mHI6bo

It's pretty tepid. Thought I'd post it anyway though

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 229 days!
I think I might actually genuinely hate scifi that forecloses rather than expands possibility, especially in the service of military wank

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

Hodgepodge posted:

I think I might actually genuinely hate scifi that forecloses rather than expands possibility, especially in the service of military wank

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Top comment didn't disappoint:

quote:

It has been a pleasure everyone. I'll see you at the resource wars.

Howdges
Dec 29, 2012

I like how the dad's clothes change with the fashions of the time, including the helmet.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I enjoy the part where they gloss over that capitalists have built a system where they market poo poo items to people so that the demands for their poo poo items go up and so do the capitalists profits while saying that it is the populations fault for wanting items.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can't wait till we find some peaceful species that has no military at all and then hear the justifications for why we have to annihilate them

Do you mean like dolphins, orangutans, or any of the other thousands of species we're currently doing it to? The justification is "jobs!".

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

just remember, our first decent attempt at reaching out to the cosmos to say "hello!" to other intelligent species' was to send unsolicited nudes bolted to the side of a lovely probe

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

"This video is part of a series about climate change supported by Breakthrough Energy – a coalition founded by Bill Gates"

I'm so sick of this loving guy branding every crisis with his name.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

OhFunny posted:

Top comment didn't disappoint:

My personal favorite:

"People have predicted humanity’s fait over and over and never once has anybody been correct, if others are predicting that climate change will be our end they too have no idea when that will be; just more failed predictions"

Well, wrap it up, cassandrailures. Humanity has not collapsed ipso factio it will never collapse.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Third World Reagan posted:

I enjoy the part where they gloss over that capitalists have built a system where they market poo poo items to people so that the demands for their poo poo items go up and so do the capitalists profits while saying that it is the populations fault for wanting items.

gently caress you I was born wanting an xbox, that's just part of human nature. like, gently caress, put a baby next to an xbox, they will reach out to touch it. that's not "curiosity," that's the innate human draw of the xbox, and it's power and majesty must be respected and adored. sacrifices of cash labour must be paid upon the shrine of xbox, for it is unto us that xbox gives it's content

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PhilippAchtel posted:

My personal favorite:

"People have predicted humanity’s fait over and over and never once has anybody been correct, if others are predicting that climate change will be our end they too have no idea when that will be; just more failed predictions"

Well, wrap it up, cassandrailures. Humanity has not collapsed ipso factio it will never collapse.

IIRC it was after the air raid on Guernica that people realized a serious, non-religious way that the world could end. Thousands of bombers blanketing every major city in nerve gas, and then ten years later, that fear became bombers dropping A-bombs.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chamale posted:

IIRC it was after the air raid on Guernica that people realized a serious, non-religious way that the world could end. Thousands of bombers blanketing every major city in nerve gas, and then ten years later, that fear became bombers dropping A-bombs.

hey on an entirely unrelated note, did those nuclear control planes that got deployed after trump got hospitalized ever land

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

"This video is part of a series about climate change supported by Breakthrough Energy – a coalition founded by Bill Gates"

I'm so sick of this loving guy branding every crisis with his name.

its also all a grift, Breakthrough Energy just funds the same firms that their investors already owns. so Bill Gates and friends can pretend to be saving the world while promoting their own companies.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

i literally lolled when he whipped out that extreme poverty reduction line. god drat that is funny.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Every time someone tries to suggest that we respond to climate change any other way than further expanding fascist capitalism until WW3 breaks out and we all die I think of how we're responding to a global pandemic which is in some ways like climate change as far as how we need to respond to it only on a much smaller scale and I just LOL and prepare for death.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah this is based on free market capitalism. So I guess it's a good argument for why capitalism needs to stop.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
make him hold the earth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That K idiot's other videos suck poo poo too

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

make him hold the earth

pls do the needful

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So on the topic of ongoing biocollapse, a bunch of countries set goals in 2010 to preserve nature. How's that going? It isn't.

quote:

Countries are set to miss all of the targets they set themselves a decade ago to preserve nature and save Earth's vital biodiversity, the United Nations said Tuesday.

Humanity's impact on the natural world over the last five decades has been nothing short of cataclysmic: since 1970 close to 70 percent of wild animals, birds and fish have vanished, according to a WWF assessment this month.

[...]

The 20 objectives range from phasing out fossil fuel subsidies and limiting habitat loss to protecting fish stocks.

But in its latest Global Biodiversity Outlook (GBO), released Tuesday, the UN said not one of these goals would be met.

"We are currently, in a systematic manner, exterminating all non-human living beings," Anne Larigauderie, IPBES executive secretary, told AFP.

[...]

But among the dangers to nature detailed in the report was the continued prevalence of fossil fuel subsidies, which the authors estimated at about $500 billion annually.

David Cooper, the lead author of the GBO assessment, said there were segments of society with "vested interests" preventing governments from reducing support to polluting industry.

"(Subsidies) are harmful to biodiversity and in most cases in the aggregate harmful economically and socially," he told AFP.

40% of plants are going hasta la bye bye. I'd say they'll be missed but honestly nobody who matters has ever heard of them so they can't be too important.

quote:

New estimates suggest two-fifths of the world's plants are at risk of extinction.

The assessment of the State of the World's Plants and Fungi is based on research from more than 200 scientists in 42 countries.

The report revealed that only a small proportion of existing plant species are used as foods and biofuels.

More than 7,000 edible plants hold potential for future crops, yet only a handful are used to feed a growing world population.

And some 2,500 plants exist that could provide energy for millions worldwide, while only six crops - maize, sugarcane, soybean, palm oil, rapeseed and wheat - generate the vast majority of biofuels.

The scientists estimate that the extinction risk may be much higher than previously thought, with an estimated 140,000, or 39.4%, of vascular plants estimated to be threatened with extinction, compared with 21% in 2016.

The research found 723 plants used for medicine are at risk of extinction, with over-harvesting a problem in some parts of the world.

And 1,942 plants and 1,886 fungi were named as new to science in 2019, including species that might be valuable as foods, drinks, medicines or fibres.

Also you know how the planet has whales? Don't worry, we're fixing that.

quote:

They say more than half of all species are of conservation concern, with two on the "knife-edge" of extinction.

Lack of action over polluted and over-exploited seas means that many will be declared extinct within our lifetimes, the letter says.

[...]

Sarah Dolman of Whale and Dolphin Conservation, UK, said accidental capture in fishing gear, known as bycatch, is an issue around UK waters, causing the deaths of thousands of cetaceans and other animals, including seals and birds, a year.

These include harbour porpoises and common dolphins, and increasing numbers of minke and humpback whales off the coast of Scotland.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PhilippAchtel posted:

My personal favorite:

Literally the inductive fallacy at play.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Homeless Friend posted:

make him hold the earth

CloFan posted:

pls do the needful

go in peace

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Every single day of life is Mercenaries 2: World In Flames, and has been for a long time now

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Complications posted:

it's pretty cool that not too far in my lifetime that whales will be completely extinct and we'll prob be seeing "last whale dies" headline in maybe 10 years. rip big glorious sea blobs

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This kind of sums up how I've been feeling today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq5KWLqUewc&t=281s

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

Complications posted:

So on the topic of ongoing biocollapse, a bunch of countries set goals in 2010 to preserve nature. How's that going? It isn't.

40% of plants are going hasta la bye bye. I'd say they'll be missed but honestly nobody who matters has ever heard of them so they can't be too important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GFRcFm-aY

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

on the one hand, i am sad all the whales will be dead.

on the other hand, dead whales don't experience constant excruciating pain from starvation, sonar pings, and filthy water filled with microplastics flowing into every oriface.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.sciencealert.com/there-s-a-strange-methane-leak-from-antarctica-s-sea-floor-and-it-s-not-good-news

https://twitter.com/ClimateBen/status/1315382798958702595

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

obviously the solution is to extract and burn it before it has the chance to naturally escape

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ah i thought this was an update but it seems to be the same july story that prompted me to google "clathrate gun"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also the leak they found was from like 2016 or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Also the leak they found was from like 2016 or something?

It took time for microorganisms that help filter away the gas to develop at the site of the leak, and even after appearing methane still rapidly escaped from the sea floor, so it might continue leaking+escaping for another 5-10 years unchecked