Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I still support the idea of the Commission Epic decision actually procedurally generating a text that discusses your dynasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I still support the idea of the Commission Epic decision actually procedurally generating a text that discusses your dynasty

That’d be very cool

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If setting all my vassals free has taught me anything, it's that the AI absolutely cannot handle warfare in the late game. They constantly raise all their levies for no reason, then have them just stand around while they siege holdings with a very small number of siege weapons, often with a siege taking 12 months.

Then if a hostile army comes and besieges some holding on the other side of their empire, they just abandon their own sieges and move all their army over there until the other guy runs away.

E: oh hey the Pope called a crusade for one county. That's 30 fervor well spent right there.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Uh, so in a multiplayer game today, I had a liberty faction against me and decided to try and murder one of the people behind it because the chance of success was 95% with 95% of avoiding detection. Great, right? Except I didn't realize the person in question was my spymaster. This did not prevent said spymaster from scheming against herself, and, ultimately, being successful in her own assassination.

After she died, I appointed a new spymaster and just for kicks checked if I could have him assassinated, too. I could. The chance was 95%.

I can't think this is working as intended...

ROGER A MUIREBE RIDES AGAIN

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Trevor Hale posted:

This was my first play through, and apart from jumping in to the crusades, I kept my head down and was only looking at my kingdom. I’d love to know what happened in the rest of the world and how I compared

I love it when I occasionally peek over the big map and there's a massive, unified empire in another part of the world I've never interacted with. A summary of that would be awesome.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Europa Universalis has “instant replays” functionality iirc, cl3 could use that too

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

the game is having a hard time figuring out how clothes work on my ugly/hideous marriage only run

e: it's getting a little junji ito-esque

corn haver fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 12, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

E: oh hey the Pope called a crusade for one county. That's 30 fervor well spent right there.

The Crusades/GHWs really need a longer cooldown, like 20 years or something. The fervor hit is massive and certainly contributes to Catholicism's fervor frequently bottoming out.

Oddly enough when I had my own pagan faith as the dominant world religion it seemed like that while fervor was awful, heresy outbreaks were fairly rare and almost always handled by me simply going to whoever was holding territory that converted and demanding conversion back. Usually only the heretical leaders would not accept, but if you could get a hook on them that was that. Frankly I think I would've liked more frequent outbreaks of heresy, just for the fervor boost it gives.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I had a run of nude people late in the game that werent adamites. One was a lunatic, but I couldn’t figure out why his family was naked too.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I want to know how I couldn't marry my heir to the 2nd daughter of my neighboring duke, but my landless brother (the third son) got his kids married to the heirs of the King of England and the Basileus.
I only found out when my nephew was put in prison.

Is there a rewind?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

I had a run of nude people late in the game that werent adamites. One was a lunatic, but I couldn’t figure out why his family was naked too.

If the liege is a lunatic, they can ban clothes for other people.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

disaster pastor posted:

Ah! Well that’s good to know

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

The Emperor has news clothes and so do you!

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Trevor Hale posted:

Thinking about it more, I would like something along the lines of Civ’s endgame screen for CK. Like, over the time I played, who was the strongest dynasty? How much land did they have? Who was the wealthiest family? Who won the lost land? Who lost the most? How did my dynasty stack up against the rest of the world in the same time.

This was my first play through, and apart from jumping in to the crusades, I kept my head down and was only looking at my kingdom. I’d love to know what happened in the rest of the world and how I compared
Yeah, a graph and/or timelapse would be great. Seeing an empire implode/fragment is awesome. But being able to see how it got there would be better. At some point in my current game, England has half of Sweden/Norway - how the hell does that happen? I know I could sit there with the title history, but I'd love to see like a timelapse of whether they started with a country or two, or maybe they inherited a duchy/kingdom size on succession.

Additionally, I'd love to have a "end game" feature where you can just decide to end your current game now and get the same screen as if it were 1453. As well as have it on game overs as well.

I'd also like the ability to be able to relinquish Ironman mode so I can gently caress around and switch characters, achievements be damned. Especially once I get bored of a save - at least in non-Ironman, you can do that whenever.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Trevor Hale posted:

Thinking about it more, I would like something along the lines of Civ’s endgame screen for CK. Like, over the time I played, who was the strongest dynasty? How much land did they have? Who was the wealthiest family? Who won the lost land? Who lost the most? How did my dynasty stack up against the rest of the world in the same time.

This is an excellent idea

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PancakeTransmission posted:

At some point in my current game, England has half of Sweden/Norway - how the hell does that happen? I know I could sit there with the title history, but I'd love to see like a timelapse of whether they started with a country or two, or maybe they inherited a duchy/kingdom size on succession.

You see things like that a lot if Harald Hardrada wins and conquers England for Norway.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

All I want.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think Tyranny decays way, WAY too fast. At the moment, there's no reason not to take frequent hits of Tyranny to accomplish your goals and limit border gore when it a) drops so fast and b) usually ends up tied to getting high Dread, which negates your vassal's negative opinion

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

There are a ton of balance issues in the game that need some serious patching, but the core game is good, even if the UI is absolutely terrible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

I think Tyranny decays way, WAY too fast. At the moment, there's no reason not to take frequent hits of Tyranny to accomplish your goals and limit border gore when it a) drops so fast and b) usually ends up tied to getting high Dread, which negates your vassal's negative opinion

I think it's less that tyranny decays too quickly (tyranny isn't supposed to be a really hard penalty, it's a lot like stress where you are supposed to take it every so often because the thing you want to do is worth the cost), more that dread is overpowered. I feel like a good balancing factor for high dread would be that people that are afraid of you would be more willing to join plots against you, so essentially dread becomes a choice between people openly joining factions against you, which is more dangerous but you at least know who your enemies are, or preventing open revolts but always having to keep an eye out for knives in your back.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Peachfart posted:

the core game is good, even if the UI is absolutely terrible.

What parts of the UI do you find particularly terrible?

I think the UI is a massive improvement compared to CKII so I'm generally quite happy with it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
One thing they need to do to dread is splitting it external and internal levels. Its a bit silly that right now a ruler can terrify his vassals into submission by executing a whole bunch of foreign heathens.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

ulmont posted:

You see things like that a lot if Harald Hardrada wins and conquers England for Norway.

I really want CK2+' Anglo-Norse culture to make a comeback.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

scaterry posted:

Is it me or are the dynasty legacies really weak. Why would I spent decades saving up to take lame options like +3 same faith opinion? Please sell me on any of the legacies that aren’t on the blood tree.

Best friends get a +30% bonus to councillor tasks with a bar, which make them excellent stewards/ court chaplains.

You're right about the legacies. I like them as a system but way too many of them suck. Why am I paying 3k renown for 10% lifestyle experience? It takes 3k renown total to get basically permanent genius bred into your heirs.

Graceful Aging (+Octogenarians) is pretty good but the 3k and 4k ones are basically a tax. Less complications during pregnancies would be useful...if more than like 1 in 20 women died in childbirth.

I don't really care how good the martial legacy MAA units are since by the time you could max out a tree you're done with the playthrough or at least so overpowered they don't matter.
The Intrigue one seems useless as well since I never get murdered and could just be a pain in the rear end if you need to stab a member of your dynasty.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Part of the issues with the Legacy system is that Bloodlines is so good that it makes the entire system seem lopsided. Any bonus is going to seem weak compared to the ease at which you can get guaranteed Geniuses after a couple of generations of mildly select marriages.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some of the perks seem like literal magic

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

JustaDamnFool posted:

One thing they need to do to dread is splitting it external and internal levels. Its a bit silly that right now a ruler can terrify his vassals into submission by executing a whole bunch of foreign heathens.
Not just foreign heathens, foreign hobo heathens - guaranteed to not bite you in the rear end since they have little to no family to take their revenge!

Also, what the gently caress are the vikings doing in the far east of the map? It makes no sense that they would sail all the way past India to raid...

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I think dread gain from executions should be tied to the victim's rank and dynasty renown. If my liege is willing to execute a Karling Duke, thinks Count McBumblefuck of the Strathcoyne McBumblefucks, imagine what he'll do to me if I piss him off. It'd also be cool if dread was individualised for each character, so executing a high-rank, high-renown character scares low-rank, low-renown characters more, and vice versa. Except now I'm thinking of the cost to figure out exactly how terrified every character is of every other, so that's probably not going to happen.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

JustaDamnFool posted:

Part of the issues with the Legacy system is that Bloodlines is so good that it makes the entire system seem lopsided. Any bonus is going to seem weak compared to the ease at which you can get guaranteed Geniuses after a couple of generations of mildly select marriages.

Sure, but 3k renown for 10% lifestyle experience? It's embarrassing even if you pick the same lifestyle for all your rulers. Getting +30 marriage acceptance from the first glory legacy is stronger than many of the other abilities and even that is pretty niche.

If they nerfed bloodline hard there would barely be anything worth taking.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
I normally quit when I have a really frustrating loss, and today I lost the Deccan empire to a bullshit pretender when I was just on the cusp of meeting the requirements for Chakravarti. But instead of peacing out right away I just spent the next ten years or so systematically assassinating each new emperor out of pure vindictiveness.

My kingdom was crumbling underneath me. My brother (and fellow vassal king) kept begging me for help. All my allies kept calling me to war, tanking my fame. Nothing mattered except eradicating the line of the man who stole my throne.

And it really helped that each new emperor kept appointing me spymaster despite multiple members of his/her close family being brutally murdered on my watch. Felt good man. :unsmith:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I mostly just click whatever and ignore legacies because much like ck2 bloodlines and artifacts, the game doesn't need to be made even easier by giving your characters magic enchantments

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I am literally going to convert away from Catholicism because the AI is so bad at Crusades, heh. Debating on whether to go with Temporal Head, so I can try and lead them myself - or, since I intend to reform the Roman Empire and will not really try to convert outside my realm, I suppose a Crusade isnt really needed.

Mind, I have to wait for the current Crusade to finish. But its been going on 40 years now... Im sure it has to end soon!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Moreau posted:

Mind, I have to wait for the current Crusade to finish. But its been going on 40 years now... Im sure it has to end soon!

Oh you sweet summer child.

(That said I sometimes feel like the Benny Hill crusades are, unintentionally, the most historically accurate thing about the game.)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I gotta say it’s really annoying to be crusaded. Even if I’m going to win, it takes forever to get the war score up to where I can demand surrender. And it’s super expensive to keep armies raised that long.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I gotta say it’s really annoying to be crusaded. Even if I’m going to win, it takes forever to get the war score up to where I can demand surrender. And it’s super expensive to keep armies raised that long.

How much dosh does the pope pay out on surrender? It really ought to be high four digits or better, knowing the cash reserves they have.....

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It is monumentally maddening to be called into a war every several seconds by allies who clearly outnumber their opponent.

Put down your own loving peasant uprising, or conquer your own lovely county.

Saying "no" is too big of a hit now (it was too little) but saying yes and not showing up is worse if they call you out on it.

I cannot keep my armies at war for 20 years straight with my current economy, especially when zero of them are my own loving war. I have my own wars that I want to wage!

I only have 3 allies, this should not be happening. Byzantine Empire alone called me into 5 wars in 5 years, mostly offensive.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I know I've said it before, but I really feel allies shouldn't be able to call you to offensive wars if they have negative prestige.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

The game could use more prestige sinks for non-tribal rulers. If you hit Exalted Among Men you're probably sitting on several thousand prestige with nothing to spend it on besides offensive wars, which is why the AI keeps spamming calls to arms.

Maybe recruiting specific characters to your court could be a prestige interaction instead of nearly impossible? There's a lot of ways (dlc) Paradox could go.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I know I've said it before, but I really feel allies shouldn't be able to call you to offensive wars if they have negative prestige.

They also shouldn't be able to call you if they outnumber their opponent by 1.5x or whatever, and they ALSO should not be able to call you for loving peasant revolts. Fix your own drat peasants, if you're in a situation where you can't handle peasants with your MAA alone you've done some really lovely stuff and deserve whatever you get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Veryslightlymad posted:

How much dosh does the pope pay out on surrender? It really ought to be high four digits or better, knowing the cash reserves they have.....

I think it pays out like it does when you’re on the winning side, split up by war contribution, except it goes to the heathens instead