Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
I dont root for the rays in the playoffs because of the cowbells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

i know all of this intellectually but i am very sorry sports are stupid and irrational and i will never root for the loving yankees under any circumstances.

I will if they're playing the Cardinals or Brewers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

pigz posted:

I dont root for the rays in the playoffs because of the cowbells.

good news on that front this year

unless they're piping them in, if so I haven't noticed

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I will if they're playing the Cardinals or Brewers.

hmmm... much to think about

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Yankees fans: how much do the Lakers winning a ring make up for losing Dak for the season?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
In all this talk of the Rays being the real bad guys for being penny pinchers, i think we lost track of the fact that the Astros are such pinchers themselves they lobbied the league to effectively kill minor league baseball. You wanna talk about what economic choices are being made that are ultimately bad for the game long term look no further.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

alpha_destroy posted:

In all this talk of the Rays being the real bad guys for being penny pinchers, i think we lost track of the fact that the Astros are such pinchers themselves they lobbied the league to effectively kill minor league baseball. You wanna talk about what economic choices are being made that are ultimately bad for the game long term look no further.
Yes and they have been pushing not just the minor league contraction scheme (which succeeded), but have also been pushing the cuts to scouts in favor of analytical departments

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Is or was there a baseball card thread?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I think there was at one point but it's lost to the sands of time so just start one?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Red posted:

Is or was there a baseball card thread?

Intruder posted:

I think there was at one point but it's lost to the sands of time so just start one?

There was. I used to half follow it but eventually unbookmarked it when it hit something like 2 years without a post. Jeffersonlives used to post in it a ton.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1315658276223119360?s=21

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

That's like, 5 since August, right? Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford, Joe Morgan?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s anecdotal, but I have heard Don Sutton is not doing well

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

more falafel please posted:

That's like, 5 since August, right? Tom Seaver, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, Whitey Ford, Joe Morgan?

Brock died September 6th. This is absurd. And not just HOFers (not that it matters), but Gibson, Seaver and Morgan are just absurd upper level HOFers at their positions.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
There's some speculation that Nightengale might have this wrong because he's the only source right now

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Johnny Bravo posted:

There's some speculation that Nightengale might have this wrong because he's the only source right now

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1315672220321144838

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bob wrongly reporting a HoF’ers death would really be peak Bob

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s anecdotal, but I have heard Don Sutton is not doing well

He sounded rough as hell on the few appearances he made on the Braves broadcasts last year and so far as I know he didn’t drop in on any of them this year, even remotely.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Yeah, Petriello tweeted the same thing :rip:

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1315672315510902784?s=20

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JRFegan/status/1315672948695588864

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That seems like a headscratcher, they had a good year and are clearly on the rise.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
White Sox 2021 world series confirmed

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That seems like a headscratcher, they had a good year and are clearly on the rise.

He single-handedly managed them out of the playoffs

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Poque posted:

He single-handedly managed them out of the playoffs

This. The usage of pitchers in game 3 against Oakland was one of the most brutal displays of managing a baseball team I've seen.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Hm I didn't watch that game but it looks like anyone he put in was walking people like crazy, that's tough to pin on him, no?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sox hiring joe maddon

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
He pulled his starter in the first inning because he wanted to put in his fun rookie (literally drafted this year) who got through two batters before leaving with forearm tightness. The staff was already fatigued from the first two games. It was monumentally stupid

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

White Sox will win the World Series in 2022, then other teams will hire Rick Renteria just to fire him and guarantee a World Series victory.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I can see your point, that is a quick hook but it was in an elimination game and the SP gave up 2 quick hits and the fun rookie got them out of the jam. Injuries in baseball happen all the time so I'm not even sure why that got brought up.

It didn't work out and hindsight is 20/20, but when your staff has a bb/9 of, uh, 11.25 it probably just wasn't your day.

Monumentally stupid and most brutal managing displays ever seems hyperbolic :shrug:

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I can see your point, that is a quick hook but it was in an elimination game and the SP gave up 2 quick hits and the fun rookie got them out of the jam. Injuries in baseball happen all the time so I'm not even sure why that got brought up.

It didn't work out and hindsight is 20/20, but when your staff has a bb/9 of, uh, 11.25 it probably just wasn't your day.

Monumentally stupid and most brutal managing displays ever seems hyperbolic :shrug:

He was burning through pitchers so quickly he backed himself into a corner needing to use Carlos "loving" Rodon in the middle of an inning. They weren't pitching great, but he was making panic move after panic move.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Important to note that renteria managed that entire game from the "ready position" like a little league shortstop

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

This. The usage of pitchers in game 3 against Oakland was one of the most brutal displays of managing a baseball team I've seen.

Allow me to direct you to Bruce Bochy, Game 4 2016 NLDS.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they fired the pitching coach Don Cooper too. He seemed like one of Jerry's job for life guys, but I'm guessing the level of manager they want to get wouldn't accept not picking his own guy.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just played Jhoulis Chacin on The Show (and lost by 1). My baseball obsessed 8th grader thought this was the coolest thing ever, until he sent JC a text or something that he'd watched the game, and now they're "friends" and chatting on whatever social media platform kids use these days. I don't think I've seen the teenager this excited in...ever?

THIS IS HOW YOU MARKET TO YOUTH, MLB

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Happy “Braves return to the LCS for the first time in 19 years after losing 8 straight division series” Day, they will not beat the Dodgers but if they push it to 6 games and stay mostly competitive it will be an overwhelming success and even if not at least they got over one hump.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Sox hiring joe maddon

lol

Feel bad for Rick though. He's a good guy and no more boneheaded than any other manager out there.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

elentar posted:

Happy “Braves return to the LCS for the first time in 19 years after losing 8 straight division series” Day, they will not beat the Dodgers but if they push it to 6 games and stay mostly competitive it will be an overwhelming success and even if not at least they got over one hump.

I think they can beat the Dodgers.

Dodgers are the favorites for sure but I believe in this team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

All the podcasts and columns are saying that if the Braves are going to win this series they have to win 2 of the first 3 because the Dodgers have a significant pitching advantage in games 4 and 5.

So I'm pretty sure that means the Dodgers will go up 3-0 and then blow it in 7.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Squall posted:

I think they can beat the Dodgers.

Dodgers are the favorites for sure but I believe in this team.

Yeah, I didn't think the Nats had any chance against the Dodgers last year (although that was a 5-game series).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1315749396970041344

V: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/alexspeier/status/1315762546582880257?s=21