Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also, is this true?

Not seeing it anywhere else.

https://twitter.com/marianne_levine/status/1315331610380775425?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's buried in this CBS News article:

quote:

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer indicated on Sunday that Democrats will "not supply the quorum" needed for the vote in the committee and the full Senate, hoping to delay the proceedings and force Republicans to delay a vote until after the election. But he said Democrats on the committee will attend the hearings, either in person or virtually.

My interpretation is that they will attend for questioning, but will bug out when it's time to vote.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Charlz Guybon posted:

While, four months would be nice, delaying until after the election is important given the chance of vote suppressing fuckery.
Delaying until after the election also makes the act feel more politically egregious. If you're the sort of person hoping the democrats retaliate via court-packing, that's much easier to do if Barrett isn't seated until after election day.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Delaying until after the election also makes the act feel more politically egregious. If you're the sort of person hoping the democrats retaliate via court-packing, that's much easier to do if Barrett isn't seated until after election day.

I’ve still yet to see anyone propose a mechanism that would produce even the necessary delay to push it past Election Day. (Quorum-avoidance mostly just forces the Rs off the campaign trail - which is worthwhile! - and might produce a day or two of delay and some more rules changes that make the process look even less legitimate, not enough to get you into November.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E: I can't do math. I'm the one the who's been Chucked.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 12, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

With 3 Republicans out with Covid and two opposed doesn't that mean the votes against are currently up 48-47 against? So they could just force the vote before anyone recovers and just win.

I'm pretty sure the Senate majority, which is Graham for the Judiciary Committee and McConnell overall, would simply not hold the vote. And even if this somehow magically worked, the Republicans would just nominate her for the position again immediately and then hold the hearings as scheduled, starting the day after the three senators who admitted testing positive leave quarantine, which is currently tomorrow I think.

The best way to look at the ACB situation, imo, is to view it as an inevitable loss--she will be confirmed, if not in the next three weeks then in the lame duck session--and try and make it as painful a loss for the Republicans as possible. That isn't something Democrats are always good at, when they know they can't win they often concede rather than fight like hell to make the next fight a little easier, but hopefully doing things like not helping the Republicans make quorum will help.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Yeah there's nothing the Dems can do to stop that religious bigot from taking RBG's seat so she can help set the country back a century. Dems need to just focus on the fact that she's not wanted by anyone except a fringe of the US and that the SCOTUS will consist of a majority of justices selected by presidents the people of the US didn't elect and who don't represent the people. Then pack the loving court and primary everyone who resists doing so.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The court needs to be packed whether she’s seated or not. Seat her so the succdems will get on board with 13 justices in January.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah there's nothing the Dems can do to stop that religious bigot from taking RBG's seat so she can help set the country back a century. Dems need to just focus on the fact that she's not wanted by anyone except a fringe of the US and that the SCOTUS will consist of a majority of justices selected by presidents the people of the US didn't elect and who don't represent the people. Then pack the loving court and primary everyone who resists doing so.

Any Dem left who doesn't want to pack the courts is dumb on an unfathomable level.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Restructuring the federal judicial bench is literally in the democratic platform. It's not new. You need to stop constructing elaborate counterfactual faildem fantasies to rage at.

Some Guy TT posted:

YouGov is a lovely pollster now? I mean if you have another one that shows court packing is an untouchable third rail of America politics I'd be happy to read it. I'd be very surprised if you could find one that has a majority actually opposing it simply because so many people don't even know what court packing is.

A yougov poll of registered voters finds an even divide of voters. You do not advertise a highly divisive policy on the eve of an election when you are in the lead. This really, really isn't complicated. People have explained it to you multiple times.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Restructuring the federal judicial bench is literally in the democratic platform. It's not new. You need to stop constructing elaborate counterfactual faildem fantasies to rage at.

To paraphrase Biden, he is the democratic party and he doesn't seem interested in it despite it being in the platform.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

To paraphrase Biden, he is the democratic party and he doesn't seem interested in it despite it being in the platform.

I think it's more that he doesn't want to discuss it, because whichever position he takes, he's going to get criticism for it, and the more the media focus is on "Are the Democrats going to pack the court", the less focus is on "The Republicans are going to force through Barrett, who's an extremist." The party and Biden would much rather the conversation be focused on the second.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"If the democrats are planning to rework the federal judiciary, why do I keep insisting they aren't!?"

"A poll of registered voters funded by the Washington Examiner found court-packing is intensely divisive and more voters oppose than support it, even if ACB is confirmed. Why won't Biden, who is winning without talking about it, emphasize court packing like Trump wants him to!?"

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 12, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Political theorycrafting: The Democrats will want a major political backlash to fuel court-packing, as its a politically risky endeavor. I expect with ACB confirmed, the conservative SCOTUS (assuming they dont trash the ACA immediately) will attempt to avoid this by biding its time on culture wars until post-2022. Democrats will try to force the issue by passing the pro-choice bill.

I don't think there's much chance of packing the SCOTUS without 51 seats at a minimum though.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I don't think there's much chance of packing the SCOTUS without 51 seats at a minimum though.

Wow, you are really going way out on a limb there, buddy

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
2021: in a 26-25 decision,

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Discendo Vox posted:

"If the democrats are planning to rework the federal judiciary, why do I keep insisting they aren't!?"

"A poll of registered voters funded by the Washington Examiner found court-packing is intensely divisive and more voters oppose than support it, even if ACB is confirmed. Why won't Biden, who is winning without talking about it, emphasize court packing like Trump wants him to!?"
"I hate Joe Biden, who is a murderous rapist, and I have signed up to be banned if I ever support him with my voice or vote. The least he could do is try to appeal to me".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

"A poll of registered voters funded by the Washington Examiner found court-packing is intensely divisive and more voters e Trump wants him to!?"

I'm surprised you're calling attention to the fact that this was a Washington Examiner poll because if we're going into full unskewing mode here that's even less reason to assume the divide is particularly stark.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Artificial Kid posted:

"I hate Joe Biden, who is a murderous rapist, and I have signed up to be banned if I ever support him with my voice or vote. The least he could do is try to appeal to me".

Not very strong in the relationship between cause and effect there are you champ?

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
Alright, separate from the slapfight, today is the day for the Judiciary meeting, right? Do we have a timeline for when it will happen, or any expectations that new information will come from it?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

BougieBitch posted:

Alright, separate from the slapfight, today is the day for the Judiciary meeting, right? Do we have a timeline for when it will happen, or any expectations that new information will come from it?

They must really want ACB seated if they’re taking time out of their most sacred holiday to push her through.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Graham: "there's nothing unconstitutional about this process"

Buddy, the president who appointed this candidate is asking militias to be prepared to violently overthrow of the government, is constantly accepting emoluments, and is $421 million in debt to adversary states. Not only is the second unconstitutional, the first and last are treasonous.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
But the ~~PrOcEsS~~!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I’m not going to watch this dumb farcical garbage, but will somebody please tell me if anyone bothers to ask Barrett why she thought attending a nomination ceremony that became a super spreader event was a good idea, and how that all outlines her ability to utilize good judgment in decision making?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

skylined! posted:

I’m not going to watch this dumb farcical garbage, but will somebody please tell me if anyone bothers to ask Barrett why she thought attending a nomination ceremony that became a super spreader event was a good idea, and how that all outlines her ability to utilize good judgment in decision making?
Questions aren’t until tomorrow. Today is just opening statements.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

skylined! posted:

She already caught the rona in June and was immune so it's safe for her to do such things.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I think Barrett should be disqualified on the sole basis she brought her kids to sit through this for half a day.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

She already caught the rona in June and was immune so it's safe for her to do such things.

It might have been safe for her but it's still irresponsible to hold a mass gathering of any kind right now

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr. Nice! posted:

I get that this might be her internal justification for why it was personally safe for her, however she could’ve pulled the plug on the whole thing because it was obviously unsafe for everyone else there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mike Lee is currently trying to give the Committee members Covid

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

haveblue posted:

It might have been safe for her but it's still irresponsible to hold a mass gathering of any kind right now

skylined! posted:

I get that this might be her internal justification for why it was personally safe for her, however she could've pulled the plug on the whole thing because it was obviously unsafe for everyone else there.

I agree, but that's the mindset for these people. Rona isn't real and we shouldn't act like it. It doesn't kill the rich and powerful.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Mike Lee is currently trying to give the Committee members Covid

A shame he probably isn't contagious anymore :smith:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wait, really?

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
If a case should be made to strip ACB of her kids due to the inherent risk of a supreme court justice, would she give up her seat or drop those lazy poo poo bags?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Ben Sasse saying civis makes my skin crawl.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Dunite posted:

If a case should be made to strip ACB of her kids due to the inherent risk of a supreme court justice, would she give up her seat or drop those lazy poo poo bags?

You're probably not being 100% serious but this is a pretty gross opinion.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Dunite posted:

drop those lazy poo poo bags?
Jesus christ, dude. They're just kids. Is that really called for?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mike Lee should be thrown in jail.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some Guy TT posted:

Wait, really?

Yup. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/barrett-coronavirus-court-trump/2020/10/02/ecf7c7ce-04cf-11eb-8879-7663b816bfa5_story.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

And then someone can reminder her that COVID is not the chickenpox, you do not become immune to it simply because you had it once before. To say nothing of the lung scarring, brain fog, and other long term side-effects it's having on some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Evil Fluffy posted:

And then someone can reminder her that COVID is not the chickenpox, you do not become immune to it simply because you had it once before. To say nothing of the lung scarring, brain fog, and other long term side-effects it's having on some people.
Aren't the reinfections rare occurrences? I remember the news making a big deal out of it when it happened, so I assumed it was a rare case. I also remember a family pleading for patients who had recovered from covid, for their antibodies.