Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

gh0stpinballa posted:

my russian friend says the "vibe" in britain right now is very similar to russia when the soviet union collapsed and the west invaded to asset strip it. ofc we're nowhere near that scale of damage and trauma yet but the vibe is the same he says.

A friend from Zimbabwe living over here now says she's getting zimbabwean vibes from Mugabe era (there was stuff going on there in 2011 not long after 'the arab spring' because I remember telling her to be very careful about twitter having seen some of the dirty tricks on there from fake protestors).

Lady Demelza posted:

The 1984 Winter Olympics were held in Sarajevo. In 1992 Sarajevo was under seige that eventually killed over 13,000 people from shells, snipers and starvation. Nobody watching the Olympic ceremony in Yugoslavia would have guessed there would be a civil war 8 years later, just as nobody watching the 2012 London Olympics could have guessed we'd be seriously discussing food shortages and people dying from a lack of medical supplies in 2020.

When civilisations collapse, they do it really quickly.

Friends in Syria in January 2011 had NO idea what was about to hit.

Also on January 25th 2011 we (living in Cairo) had no idea that a revolution had started in Cairo and would be wholly apparent on jan 28th - I remember my friend and I getting stopped by police (on 25th) when we came out of a Coptic church and made to sit on a wall while they phoned to make sure we weren't 'wanted'. On 28th there was a heavy atmosphere of fear and stuck a hijab on and walked a mile up the road to get a large bar of chocolate to calm my fevered brain.

Page snipe: if you just type 208 into google, the whole first page is links to a Peugeot 208 so I shall find a catte tax instead I didn't because my computer is busy backing up and on a go slow.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
wow y'all selfish assholes worried about national political chaos. don't you all realise what an entertaining history podcast series this is going to turn into in 20 years

this week in episode 25.30, boris johnson sets fire to newcastle. thanks to our sponsor for this week, dave's ironic mustache wax

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

There's definitely a lot of medical stuff where the UK could learn a lot from the developing world, but in many cases that's because the UK formalized bad but better than nothing laws in the 60s and hasn't had the will to do anything since, whereas those places were forced at a later date to make moves.

I recall some developing countries at the start of covid-19 saying they were testing municipal sewerage for covid-19 to see if they needed to do more focused testing (because they couldn't test everyone) so wonder what happened with that and if it worked, how come the UK couldn't do that?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

ThomasPaine posted:

fwiw we are also a huge cultural powerhouse and get piles of tourists

But we missed out on Cristo Redentor and the Eiffel tower so we're way off winning that way.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darth Walrus posted:

No they aren't, and no it doesn't. The ruling class in America is firmly in charge (and appears to be presently doing a decent job of jettisoning a troublesome aberration and enthroning a more compliant and stable spokesman for capital), backed by a large, militarised police force and the best-funded military in the world (which now has a reasonable amount of counterinsurgency experience that the people in charge are champing at the bit to deploy on American soil), and material wealth can take you a long, long way if no larger, better-armed rival powers exist and are inclined to take it from you. See also, Saudi Arabia. They have a lot of depth to their defences against any meaningful threat to the state as an entity, and it's hard to see many meaningful threats that presently exist. China's the closest, and lol if you think they're seriously pursuing imperial ambitions in the North American continent.

On the other hand, Brexit is leaving us exposed to every big, hungry nasty on the planet, all of whom will be happy to advance and fund whatever domestic movement is most willing to play nice with them (and there's zero chance that the Tories have the diplomatic nous to please all of the great powers all of the time). It's a perfect recipe for things to get extremely spicy alarmingly fast.

I mean I don't disagree overall but I think it may be premature to say the troublesome aberration is being booted and all, the GOP is now firmly on the course of trying to steal the election or at least muddy the waters to a degree never seen before in America, and the ruling class is largely fine with that (As evidenced by the fact they didn't at some point press the Republicans to 25th Trump). It's entirely possible that Biden wins a thumping victory and they manage to reassert control and calm things down, but it's just as likely - perhaps moreso - that things get complicated during and between election day and inauguration, and if they get sufficiently conplicated, the handle the ruling class has on things could rapidly prove to be a good bit looser than they believe.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ronya posted:

one could point to the relatively high strength of British civil society in a Tocquevillean sense undermining the attractiveness of violence - this being e.g. illustrated in Britain's relatively slow embrace of universal suffrage compared to France, and conversely greater acceptance of plural associations (albeit in an imperial, hierarchical sense)

this is more of a grand-sweep thesis though
What's a plural association? Google isn't being particularly helpful.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Paul.Power posted:

What's a plural association? Google isn't being particularly helpful.

organisations of of people - e.g. resident groups, rotary clubs, friends of x associations, interest groups, hobby groups - that voluntarily come together (associate) to pursue whatever common interests (rather than e.g. existing by statute or church/state sponsorship)

whilst also allowing their members to freely join, leave, and remain members of other groups (plural), rather than e.g. asserting that a right/responsibility to subsume all interests or all conflicts under its umbrella

specifically France resisted e.g. the free press and trade unionism until relatively late in the Third Republic as compared to Victorian Britain, and the right to freely associate a non-profit grouping was not granted until the 1901 Law of Associations. Conversely it granted free suffrage without property requirements much earlier (which had to wait in Britain until 1918)

(the Tocquevillean outlook on civil society is an interesting vein of thought in the literature, not HARD HISTORICAL-MATERIALIST FACT (OF HISTORY), mind you. It also doesn't really explain anything. But it's the funhouse-mirror inversion of the traditional left-wing critique of liberal society - it's entertaining to juggle both outlooks in one's head)

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 12, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Paul.Power posted:

What's a plural association?
Plurals associatia

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure, but the american state and institutions are looking a hella more fragile right now than the british ones, and as we all know wealth means jack poo poo if those in power refuse to distribute it to solve problems.

if there's one thing to say about Britain in 2020 its that our institutions are looking extremely solid

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Sure, but the american state and institutions are looking a hella more fragile right now than the british ones, and as we all know wealth means jack poo poo if those in power refuse to distribute it to solve problems.

Strong username/post combo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That Matt Forde book "Politically Homeless" looks utterly poo poo, surprising given his endorsements from Tony Blair, JK Rowling and that oval office fae pointless.

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1315471733131018242

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1315425261505204225

We are a thread of people far too interested in politics. Near obsessed. But I don't think any one of us would ever go so far as to say we like it let alone love it. I might pick up this book for a deep dive into the Centrist mind. The mind of a person who likes the slaughterhouse but hates the sausage. I think it'd be really enlightening. Already I get the feeling that the reason he truly hates Corbyn isn't because of anything concrete (Beyond protecting his buy to lets) but more that the idea that politics would DO something or be a means to an end is abhorrent to him.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Real image from the government.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Losing track of all the different rebrandings of "learn to code" we've had from basically everyone when complaining about job prospects.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The Scarfolk-ification of Britain is complete

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Has anyone done the National Careers Service skill assesment yet. Mine suggested that I try my hand at homeopathy or possibly becoming the head of IT.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do not learn to code, you'll become a threat to all the stackoverflow browsers propping up the coding sector.

Gonzo McFee posted:

We are a thread of people far too interested in politics. Near obsessed. But I don't think any one of us would ever go so far as to say we like it let alone love it. I might pick up this book for a deep dive into the Centrist mind. The mind of a person who likes the slaughterhouse but hates the sausage. I think it'd be really enlightening. Already I get the feeling that the reason he truly hates Corbyn isn't because of anything concrete (Beyond protecting his buy to lets) but more that the idea that politics would DO something or be a means to an end is abhorrent to him.
He sounds like a personliterally admits to being the type of person who treats politics like football, and would react to politics trying to change something for the better in the same way that an ordinary person would react to their home team stopping play midway through the first half to knit socks for stray dogs.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

their home team stopping play midway through the first half to knit socks for stray dogs.

If RoI did this it would be :3: and probably increase our chances of qualifying for a tournament

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

He's mad because he wants to treat politics like an episode of Yes Minister, but there's all these uppity leftists screaming about how there are real issues and real lives on the line, something about how this isn't all a game, but that isn't fun. How could these horrible people stop my fun? Why don't they just shut up and have fun?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If he enjoys the theoretical butting of heads and performance and alliance building parts of it, without wanting any dirty stuff like real world impact and lives on the line, I'd suggest he becomes a wrestling fan instead, but I wouldn't wish that on the rest of the wrestling fandom.

Maybe start his own thing with his fellow talking heads. Neoliberal World Wrestling.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

If he enjoys the theoretical butting of heads and performance and alliance building parts of it, without wanting any dirty stuff like real world impact and lives on the line, I'd suggest he becomes a wrestling fan instead, but I wouldn't wish that on the rest of the wrestling fandom.

Maybe start his own thing with his fellow talking heads. Neoliberal World Wrestling.

Or just pay :10bux: and post. Who knows how much PPE ronya would have spewed out into the real world if it hadnt been safely contained here in the Brokebrain Zone? SA is like the nether dimension that the Ghostbusters trap all the bad guys in

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

keep punching joe posted:

Fatima is so good with the cyber. She's 20 years old. She has computers. She's so good with these computers, it's unbelievable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

There will be guaranteed changes to the way you wear pants now that we have taken turns making GBS threads all of your pants.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1315569286463844352

oval office can't even do bland centrism without hedging his bets. THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION IS IN 2024, TRUMP WON'T EVEN BE PRESIDENT BY THEN EVEN IF HE WINS.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

oval office can't even do bland centrism without hedging his bets. THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION IS IN 2024, TRUMP WON'T EVEN BE PRESIDENT BY THEN EVEN IF HE WINS.

lol if you think a victorious Trump would stick to term limits.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well, Trump most likely would be President in 2024 if he wins, considering Inauguration Day is set for Jan 20ish, 2025. And he would definitely be going for a "third term" at that point. Of course, maybe you mean he'd be long dead by then, which is certainly possible.

It's just generally funny that everything Jokeir does/says could be followed by "...as someone who wants to be PM"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If Trump gets a second term (and doesn't try for a third) the last six months of his presidency would definitely be spent going scorched earth on anyone who slighted him this decade.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
tbf i wouldn't endorse Biden, the main thing he's got going for him is that he's at least 25% less likely to wander bottomless into the House trade committee and do a poo poo on the documents saying "no UK trade deal that violates the GFA" while shouting "they call me Mr Brexit" when Patel militarizes Derry.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

This looks to be blowing up today - just want to add that it’s an old campaign from last year. That doesn’t make it better obviously but it’s not a knee-jerk COVID thing.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Getting everyone on the planet to learn2code is a big tech conspiracy to depress all computer toucher salaries.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Miftan's secret shame revealed:

https://twitter.com/ianvisits/status/1315566785836482560

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, Trump most likely would be President in 2024 if he wins, considering Inauguration Day is set for Jan 20ish, 2025. And he would definitely be going for a "third term" at that point. Of course, maybe you mean he'd be long dead by then, which is certainly possible.

It's just generally funny that everything Jokeir does/says could be followed by "...as someone who wants to be PM"

Mate, judging by your gang tag you won't endorse Biden either, so seems like you and Keir are on the same wavelength.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Mate, judging by your gang tag you won't endorse Biden either, so seems like you and Keir are on the same wavelength.

If you're interested in dumb arguments about how not supporting one racist vegetable means I'm secretly supporting the other one, there's multiple US politics threads where that exact argument has been relitigated continuously since March.

I think it's safe to say though that my endorsement or lack thereof, as an Irish guy, carries even less weight than Starmers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I recall some developing countries at the start of covid-19 saying they were testing municipal sewerage for covid-19 to see if they needed to do more focused testing (because they couldn't test everyone) so wonder what happened with that and if it worked, how come the UK couldn't do that?
Scotland might be able to, but England has regressed to the Victorian stage of just dumping raw sewage in rivers and the last thing any of the private water companies would want is to allow an Environmental Public Health team near their shoddy poo poo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I think this is the worst thing I've seen all year.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Miftan posted:

I think this is the worst thing I've seen all year.

" There’s even scented toilet paper - a treat for all your senses"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Has anyone done the National Careers Service skill assesment yet. Mine suggested that I try my hand at homeopathy or possibly becoming the head of IT.

Yes, a few pages back :D

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1315578438082801664?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Interesting to see people itt getting het up about not endorsing the slightly less bad option in the US when they won't be doing the UK equivalent and voting for Starmer's Labour.

If Starmer had answered "they're both awful, if I was American I wouldn't vote for either of them" he'd go up in my estimation by about 420%

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

Interesting to see people itt getting het up about not endorsing the slightly less bad option in the US when they won't be doing the UK equivalent and voting for Starmer's Labour.

If Starmer had answered "they're both awful, if I was American I wouldn't vote for either of them" he'd go up in my estimation by about 420%

Idk, I think people see the situation as more pressing in the US. Most people think the damage Trump could cause in another four years eclipses anything any Tory could do.

And I can see a lot of people on the left begrudgingly voting for Starmer (or whichever mannequin is leading Labour at that point) in 2024 to get rid of Boris (or whichever sack of mucus is leading the Tories at that point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Scotland might be able to, but England has regressed to the Victorian stage of just dumping raw sewage in rivers and the last thing any of the private water companies would want is to allow an Environmental Public Health team near their shoddy poo poo.

Half the houses in western Scotland near the coast seem to dump directly into the Clyde, so Scotland aren’t angels here!