Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the bigger problem with Baldur’s Gate 3 is that it gives money to notorious rapist-defender Mike Mearls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

My biggest gripe about Eternal is the huge number of platforming segments. I stopped playing the game after the dozenth one or so.

Also giving the doom guy a backstory and a face was just about the dumbest move they could have made with the series.

Yeah, just about everything in Eternal's story just made things less interesting. At least as far as I've played it, which I guess was give or take a third to halfway through.

One thing that made the Doom 2016 story/setting so fun were the juxtapositions of the mythological and the mundane. One the one hand, you have literal hell: Just full-on Dante's Inferno hell, the real biblical deal, filled with the damned, demons, and probably Lucifer hidden somewhere. On the other hand, you had... a guy who had a shotgun and was just so loving angry that all the Legions of hell couldn't stand against him. And in the middle of it you had the stereotypical sci-fi megacorporation who took one look at Literally Hell and figured "there must be a way to monetize this".

And it worked. It didn't have much depth, but it really didn't need to. It was enough to keep the game moving forward, and the writing managed to pull funny little moments out of it often enough to make for a memorable and entertaining ride. But then Eternal came along and tried to to give it more depth, and in the process just made it feel more generic and boring. Doomguy is no longer a guy, but some weird Chosen Slayer kinda deal, which is both bland and overwrought for the tone established in 2016. There's now some kind of angel faction, but they're not really angels, they're just some kinda white aliens. And it turns out hell is also mostly just red aliens. And apparently the red aliens once were white aliens or something and there's a prophesy in there somewhere and who even gives a poo poo anymore.

It seems silly to complain about the story in a Doom game, but story/setting does play a role in very nearly every game. In Doom that role is pretty much just to keep things moving forward without getting in the way. And Eternal's story absolutely fails at that.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 22:36 on Oct 10, 2020

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

the bigger problem with Baldur’s Gate 3 is that it gives money to notorious rapist-defender Mike Mearls

Oh yeah absolutely.
God forbid he actually face any kind of consequence for any of the lovely stuff he's done, or has been doing.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Fallout 76 gave me two different types of crashes before I got to the main menu, both of which have been common since launch. Glad I tried it on a game pass because jesus christ.
I got through it with a fix, but continuing to play would require me to apply a fix every time I started the game.
Yeah, nah, you had your opportunity Bethesda.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I didn't think of that but was using video game logic.

And I'm just walking around a boat, not really loving with anybody. I think on a cruise ship during a party where people pass cops entering the boat who check their ID's, stand guard at stairwells and are clearly shown providing security I'd be free to walk around but maybe this game is more woke than I thought.

Ignoring the fact that the boat is just a recreation of a hit, every target in Hitman is some kind of big time criminal who doesn't want cops freely wandering into their arms deal or blackmail ring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

Been loving around a little bit with Hitman: The Complete First Season and I can never quite tell WHY my disguise gets blown a lot of times. I make sure to holster my weapons and poo poo but the game isn't always clear about where I do and don't belong. I like the game and enjoy stealth but sometimes I get spotted for no reason.

example:

In one of the tutorial missions, I'm on a cruise ship dressed as a loving COP early on. I should be able to go ANYWHERE unless I'm maybe seen by another cop who knows I'm not part of the force. But no. Some random person decides I'm not legit and really need to be dressed as a chef or a maintenance worker instead so I get called out.

Same with the airport hanger mission. I'm wearing an OFFICER'S uniform but the loving airline mechanics are gonna give me poo poo all of a sudden for walking around? gently caress you. Get back to work, scrub. Do you know who signs your checks?
Yeah, they know who signs their cheques, that's why they realise that you aren't who you are claiming to be.

Guard outfits tend to let you in to most areas (and allow you to open carry) at the cost of dealing with more enforcers who can see through disguises (and making some actions like poisoning illegal). There are also often various types of guards, with some areas being off-limits to low level grunts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Capcom needs to make an Umbrella Tycoon game. I want to be able to assign staff to various research areas and profit off of selling genetic monstrosities to terrorists and governments alike.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

Capcom needs to make an Umbrella Tycoon game. I want to be able to assign staff to various research areas and profit off of selling genetic monstrosities to terrorists and governments alike.

Hell yeah. Instead of natural disasters you get things like Chris punching his way into the lab.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hell yeah. Instead of natural disasters you get things like Chris punching his way into the lab.

Nothing is a disaster, it's just an unexpected research branch.

Sure we didn't mean for a fly to land on tvirus poop, but now that we've got these 200 pound flies that melt faces we might as well do something

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Len posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

I've had a dream game like this, except instead it's about the Space Pirates from Metroid. Build a base full of weird puzzles, supposedly impossible-to-navigate rooms, and incorporate nearby caves full of horrifying space-resources, all to make sure that when Samus turns up you have enough time to escape the planet with what you researched before she traverses and destroys literally everything.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Make it two layers. Down below you have the more passive building and economic gameplay with the goal of maintaining a mostly safe-ish lab. Topside you need to stuff a mansion full of confusing emblem puzzles, traps, and install your various genetic experiments as obstacles for investigating STARS members ala Evil Genius.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

John Murdoch posted:

Make it two layers. Down below you have the more passive building and economic gameplay with the goal of maintaining a mostly safe-ish lab. Topside you need to stuff a mansion full of confusing emblem puzzles, traps, and install your various genetic experiments as obstacles for investigating STARS members ala Evil Genius.

So like Evil Genius

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Len posted:

So like Evil Genius

I’m so stoked for evil genius 2 next year.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

food court bailiff posted:

Does he get royalties?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

sebmojo posted:

Does he get royalties?

He literally still works for the company. It's not even a royalties situation, it's 'he is still employed at the company that you have to pay to get this game'.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Len posted:

“We believe the jungles of [insert place name] have vast deposits of zombi-tonium,send a crew of scientists and mercs down there,then we’ll mix the zombi-tonium with the tyran-tanium and see what happens”.

Budget : 50 umbrella bucks

Time to obtain samples : 3 days

Scientists turned into local wildlife food : 50

Mass casualty projected : 500000

New upgrade unlocked : self destruct voice #45 clanky ladder #26 creaky door #765

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 11:48 on Oct 11, 2020

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Gort posted:

I mean, you should be put off by the concept of playing a game in Early Access. It's a substandard product. Wait for the game to actually release, or you'll be sick of it by the time it's actually release-worthy.
Counterpoint: there are games that are/were still "Early Access" but were not substandard eg Factorio 0.17/0.18 vs 1.0 (nearly no difference), current Satisfactory

I've bought steam games that not only stopped being developed (before Early Access was even a thing), they deleted their own game off the storefront, and Steam still wouldn't refund my money.

So yeah, don't buy EA games unless you actually want to play it in its current state, or are happy to play 2-10 hours now, and then maybe pick it up in a year or three when it's finished (or at least finished as far as the dev is concerned because they've moved on).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Perestroika posted:

There's now some kind of angel faction, but they're not really angels, they're just some kinda white aliens. And it turns out hell is also mostly just red aliens. And apparently the red aliens once were white aliens or something and there's a prophesy in there somewhere and who even gives a poo poo anymore.
That sounds weirdly similar to the terrible plot of the (terrible) novels.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

PancakeTransmission posted:

Counterpoint: there are games that are/were still "Early Access" but were not substandard eg Factorio 0.17/0.18 vs 1.0 (nearly no difference), current Satisfactory

Hardspace Shipbreaker has a name that's like teflon, but it came out in early access with its core mechanics basically fully formed.

The thing dragging it down for me is that I keep getting a very repeatable bug and crash just at the end of my shift, but hey, early access.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How did Cerberus ever make any money in Mass Effect when every one of their projects blew up in their face? Oh wait, venture capital, never mind.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How did Cerberus ever make any money in Mass Effect when every one of their projects blew up in their face? Oh wait, venture capital, never mind.

Same way right wingers get money now, obscene grift.
There's probably a ton of billionaires just funnelling resources into the human supremacy organization.
They just occasionally make a new post on hatreon going: Aliens.... BAD!!!!!!! and get like a million credits as well.

Also probably a fuckton of organized crime on top of it. Since by the time ME3 rolled around they also had infiltration sexbots and everything.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Cerberus had a lot of informed power. It was constantly said that they had all these corporate and political ties but you never meet any if these people. The only thing that showed off their reach was that they do kidnap and murder an Admiral at the end of one of their questlines in ME1 but there's never any follow-up or mention of it ever again. Sole Survivor background for Shep also has you meet someone who claims the whole mission was a setup so Cerberus could test the potential for weaponized Thresher Maws but that's also never followed up on.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Oct 11, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Out of all the problems I had about Mass Effect 2, 'how did a supremacist military organization get all that money' is the only one that I stopped asking as time went on.

They probably have more funding than the Alliance, let's be honest.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly theres a very simple answer to how Cerberus functions, and thats that the things that do work you just don't find. However, this requires me to give space racists the benefit of the doubt so im fine thinking they are incompetent idiots.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

I've bought steam games that not only stopped being developed (before Early Access was even a thing), they deleted their own game off the storefront, and Steam still wouldn't refund my money.

So yeah, don't buy EA games unless you actually want to play it in its current state, or are happy to play 2-10 hours now, and then maybe pick it up in a year or three when it's finished (or at least finished as far as the dev is concerned because they've moved on).

The one EA game I've bought was Fire Pro Wrestling World, and while the EA version was launched without a lot of features, the basic thing of the game- the, y'know, wrestling- was mostly done. Like they made a lot of little tweaks to the mechanics of it, but it worked. (Granted the core mechanics were worked out back in the early Nineties.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Multiplayer-focused games are the only games I can abide by in early-access, because for the most part when they're there, they have a core that's complete and does fine, it'll just get added to in a way that doesn't delegitimize either end of it. (EDIT: Roguelikes can end up in this field too, but I still wouldn't.)

A single-player, story-focused game in early-access, though? Either you're getting an incomplete story or an unpolished one, and either way you're getting ripped off.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Oct 12, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Also KSP, Slay the Spire, Subnautica, etc

Definitely agree that you shouldn't buy an early access game unless you'd be okay with development stopping that instant but plenty of stuff has been worth playing in EA.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of the controversial launch of Diablo III, and the utterly botched announcement of a Diablo phone-game, how else has Bllizard poo poo the bed?

I know that they are hemorraging the talent they haven't fired already, but what decisions have soured people off their games?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Outside of the controversial launch of Diablo III, and the utterly botched announcement of a Diablo phone-game, how else has Bllizard poo poo the bed?

I know that they are hemorraging the talent they haven't fired already, but what decisions have soured people off their games?

They released a hosed up remaster of Warcraft III that overwrote the original version on Battle.net

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
The amount of animal cruelty in Last of Us II is starting to piss me off, it's such a lovely and cheap way of eliciting an emotional response. I was literally groaning at the scene with the Zebra (I'm guessing that was a Zebra). "Shoot the dogs". Ok, I get it. "Your horse loving explodes". Jeez man...at least they didn't show too much. "Shoot some more dogs and then find a Zebra tangled up in barbed wire". "FEEL BAD YET?"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

They released a hosed up remaster of Warcraft III that overwrote the original version on Battle.net

This is hugely underselling it.

They promised a ton of features (reworked cutscenes, higher res models/textures) and not only didn't deliver, including one cutscene that was done quite nicely for display but on release was worse than the original, but actively removed features and made existing features worse, including such favorites as "in-game key rebinding" (replaced with "here, open an .ini and mess with hex to rebind your poo poo")

As stated, if you purchased this, it overwrote your game, nuking your save files and preventing version reverting. Oh, and all custom content went from "open license" to "Blizzard owns everything you make with our tools" because they don't want to let the next DOTA get away I guess; forgetting of course that such a move demotivates people from putting that kind of work into a project in the first place

edit: for extra fun, a moderate-sized official tournament had to be nearly scrubbed because the remaster's netcode was A poo poo and kept disconnecting high-stakes games midmatch

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

They had the biggest ESports game of the early 2010s and killed it with a mixture of bad expansions and a terrible attempt to wrest control of all of the big tournaments away from the organizations that made and ran them.

They also killed off all official support for Heroes of the Storm a year or two back including cancelling a big tournament just before it was about to start without bothering to tell any of the players, organizers, etc.

They helped popularize/normalize lootbox bullshit.

The whole banning a Hearthstone player and taking away their winnings because they showed support for Hong Kong thing. IIRC they did eventually give back the winnings and turn the ban into a suspension but almost certainly only because they hosed up big enough that even non-gaming media was dunking on them for it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

As stated, if you purchased this, it overwrote your game, nuking your save files and preventing version reverting.

Didn't it overwrite the original version even if you didn't buy it, just locking all the 'new' stuff?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FeastForCows posted:

The amount of animal cruelty in Last of Us II is starting to piss me off, it's such a lovely and cheap way of eliciting an emotional response. I was literally groaning at the scene with the Zebra (I'm guessing that was a Zebra). "Shoot the dogs". Ok, I get it. "Your horse loving explodes". Jeez man...at least they didn't show too much. "Shoot some more dogs and then find a Zebra tangled up in barbed wire". "FEEL BAD YET?"
Don't forget someone has painstakingly modelled those scenes and assets, and they absolutely will have had to look at hundreds of real examples for authenticity. Like actually made to do it by their employer.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't it overwrite the original version even if you didn't buy it, just locking all the 'new' stuff?

Yeah if you want to play the original you have to install a version from CD that's too old to know how to autoupdate on battle.net

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

FeastForCows posted:

Video game violence is fine, largely, but don't rub my face in it. I know I'm bad, I played Spec Ops, calm down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time I killed a dog in The Last of Us 2 and a nearby NPC noticed and went essentially "NOOOO, JIMMY, MY DOG WHO I LOVED AND CARED ABOUT! FIND THEM AND MAKE THEM PAY FOR THIS!" I laughed because it was so pointless and ineffective from an emotional standpoint. They made a big deal out of NPCs calling each others' names or talking to one another like real people, but they only ever say one anothers' names when you the player blow them away, so it's totally flat. I don't think I heard a single enemy call another by name unless it was in response to me snubbing them out right in front of them.

The next time I threw a molotov, and it killed both the dog and the owner with one toss so I just did that from then on because it was more resource efficient.

edit: Later on in the game they make you walk through a friendly zone that is absolutely jam packed full of dog cages and the dogs all look happy and their tails are wagging and people are petting them and then you throw a ball with your friendly dog friend and it was so loving bad lmao

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Oct 12, 2020

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I’ve never played a last of us game,they always looked shallow and fart - huffy.

Everything i hear about those games sounds like an Onion article.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I’ve never played a last of us game,they always looked shallow and fart - huffy.

It's Videogame: the Videogame. Gears of War-rear end shootmans, broken up by stealth sequences, light puzzling, and story bits. There's even crafting! The only new gameplay innovation in the second one is a grappling hook, and hiding in tall grass (which was innovative when Metal Gear 3 did it in 2004).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

It is exactly as on-the-nose and unsubtle about its themes and tone as gamers deserve. And good for them for having absolutely no faith in their audience in my opinion!