Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
What I really appreciate about games like Breath of the Wild or some first party Sony games like God of War is that there's no loving bullshit and nickle and diming people with no self-control. Just companies trying to make a really good game instead of wrapping their money extracting machine in a vaguely interesting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nobody should ever play gacha games because it just encourages them.

Doesn’t matter if it’s the most fun, spectacular, greatest game of all time. All gacha and lootbox bullshit should be treated as the unwelcome cancer in the hobby that it is.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

All gacha and lootbox bullshit should be treated as the unwelcome cancer in the hobby that it is.

:yeah:

The sooner the EU outlaws all that poo poo, the better.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was Genshin Impact the one that gamers protested at a Chinese game expo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Steve Yun posted:

Was Genshin Impact the one that gamers protested at a Chinese game expo

twas

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Beating OoK on my second try is definitely going to be my biggest videogame brag for the rest of my life

It was such a good fight though, gently caress

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What the hell is the thread title from?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Luigi Thirty posted:

resident hamster tei

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Genshin Impact is better than BoTW because the combat is actually fun, you can clear all content with the F2P characters so don't need to engage with the gacha if you don't want to, and it doesn't have awful weapon degradation mechanics.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The reason it's free is so that people will believe they don't need to engage with the gambling mechanics meanwhile the game somehow makes $100 million in a week.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The next times someone namedrops FOMO I'll fondly remember everyone defending the Free 2 Play myth.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

from

Tei posted:

Is how the world ends. Your PS4 become so loud, pregnant womens spontaneously explode and the baby jump arounds on fire. The molecules are thrown towards each other violently and the whole universe collapse.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bad Parenting posted:

Genshin Impact is better than BoTW because the combat is actually fun, you can clear all content with the F2P characters so don't need to engage with the gacha if you don't want to, and it doesn't have awful weapon degradation mechanics.

Nah, gently caress that game and gently caress all real money gacha mechanics.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Beating OoK on my second try is definitely going to be my biggest videogame brag for the rest of my life

It was such a good fight though, gently caress

OoK I think took me longer than any Sekiro fight, and I'm pretty sure Sword Saint took me like 4 hours of retries to beat

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

Nah, gently caress that game and gently caress all real money gacha mechanics.

I've been playing it pretty casually on PC since it came out, got to AR25 and I haven't spent a penny and haven't been tempted to, never felt underpowered or anything. Maybe that will change in the future but right now it's a lot of fun for the cost of nothing

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bad Parenting posted:

I've been playing it pretty casually on PC since it came out, got to AR25 and I haven't spent a penny and haven't been tempted to, never felt underpowered or anything. Maybe that will change in the future but right now it's a lot of fun for the cost of nothing

Playing it and encouraging others to play it is free advertising that they’re hoping will end up hooking at least one more person into their lootbox bullshit.

“I haven’t spent anything and it’s fun enough” isn’t a valid defence of their lovely product and monetisation schemes.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nobody should ever play gacha games because it just encourages them.

Doesn’t matter if it’s the most fun, spectacular, greatest game of all time. All gacha and lootbox bullshit should be treated as the unwelcome cancer in the hobby that it is.

lordfrikk posted:

What I really appreciate about games like Breath of the Wild or some first party Sony games like God of War is that there's no loving bullshit and nickle and diming people with no self-control. Just companies trying to make a really good game instead of wrapping their money extracting machine in a vaguely interesting game.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:yeah:

The sooner the EU outlaws all that poo poo, the better.

^^

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bad Parenting posted:

If I like a game like this I tend to do a couple spins of the gacha to like 10 or 20 dollars, just cause I prefer to have paid something.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If I like a game like this I tend to do a couple spins of the gacha to like 10 or 20 dollars, just cause I prefer to have paid something.

lmao owned

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This for real.

They didn’t put the game there out of the kindness of their hearts, they want to get people addicted to spending money and rewarding them for it in any way is dumb and bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I spent £4.49 but I've done all the current content so I've no reason to play it until they add more.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had more fun playing it than from the £45 I spent on BotW though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Luigi Thirty posted:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

that guy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A perfect picture

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I understand some ppl having an aversion to gacha games and/or gambling in general and but there do exist well designed games with gacha elements that are perfectly viable to play without spending a penny.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper for instance is one of those games and over the course of playing it for 6 years I have maybe spent £10 on it and gotten far more enjoyment playing it than the 40 hours and £40 I spent on Final Fantasy XV

So when people say Gashin Impact or whatever is fine to play for free, i dont see the problem with that. Personally it doesn't look like my thing cuz its far to anime but that's a different matter entirely

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm a bit fed up and i have nothing i really want to play tonight, strongly considering finally starting resi evil 5 or 6

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm a bit fed up and i have nothing i really want to play tonight, strongly considering finally starting resi evil 5 or 6

5 is soooo bad, like it's barely fun co-op. 6 is...fine co-op. I've played the entire modern series now and 5 is easily my least favourite.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

I understand some ppl having an aversion to gacha games and/or gambling in general and but there do exist well designed games with gacha elements that are perfectly viable to play without spending a penny.

Final Fantasy Record Keeper for instance is one of those games and over the course of playing it for 6 years I have maybe spent £10 on it and gotten far more enjoyment playing it than the 40 hours and £40 I spent on Final Fantasy XV

So when people say Gashin Impact or whatever is fine to play for free, i dont see the problem with that. Personally it doesn't look like my thing cuz its far to anime but that's a different matter entirely
If it was easy for everyone to ignore then it wouldn't exist. The reality is some people cannot ignore it and it does ensnare them. Is your fun worth the loss of those children or adults who are preyed upon?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really like 6, but unless you look up a guide you'll have no idea how you're supposed to play it. The tutorial barely teaches you anything, like it shows you how to mix herbs into healing tictacs through the menu but doesn't tell you that you can press the heal and reload buttons at the same time to do the same thing in 1 second.

It doesn't tell you how to duck, dodge roll, slide, quick shot to autoaim at multiple enemies, parry, recover stamina faster, etc.

RE6 is also fine in single player since your partner has infinite health and ammo. It's not like RE5 where it's miserable because they have all the same responsibilities as an actual player. If you do want to play co-op then players can seamlessly join or leave, you don't have to reach or reload a checkpoint.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah for everyone in this thread like “Oh I put 30 hours into it without ever spending a penny, it’s not predatory at all” there hundreds of people with the exact opposite problem, they can’t go 5 minutes without getting spun by some gacha mechanic.

Congratulations on being indomitable towers of Iron Will, most people can’t pass up a lotto ticket with a discount.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's also a fuckload of kids throwing money down the toilet on stuff like that and in the FIFA games. I used to teach kids and it was insane how much they were buying in FIFA.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's also a fuckload of kids throwing money down the toilet on stuff like that and in the FIFA games. I used to teach kids and it was insane how much they were buying in FIFA.

EA could lose all their other licenses and still profit $750mil a year from FIFA cards. When people are like "lootboxes are such bad publicity, how much money could these publishers actually be making" the answer is "quite a lot."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Akuma posted:

If it was easy for everyone to ignore then it wouldn't exist. The reality is some people cannot ignore it and it does ensnare them. Is your fun worth the loss of those children or adults who are preyed upon?

I have every bit of sympathy for people with gambling addictions and there are resources to help these people and they should make use of them where possible. Also good design would have limits to how much individuals could spend for any given period of time. There is space for discussion around these topics and discussion should be encouraged. I do not think the problem lies inherently with the business model of f2p gacha games nor do I think it is inherently predatory but I agree that there should be limits in place to help protect the vulnerable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It is 100% predatory that they can sell that stuff to kids. There's no way around it. Kids aren't going to realise they're becoming gambling addicts. It's one of the scummiest things in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

It is 100% predatory that they can sell that stuff to kids. There's no way around it. Kids aren't going to realise they're becoming gambling addicts. It's one of the scummiest things in games.

What parents are giving their kids access to their card details? I've got a teenage child and there's no way I'd give them access to my payment details on their phone or console or whatever