Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think Ash gets invited on for the same reason Owen Jones does. They're a cross section of everything the right hates so there's no chance of conversion.

Owens a gay posh child who thinks he knows more than you and even worse does, Ash is a Muslim woman who fucks and is attractive, smart and funny and ergo intimidating. Your average boomer will be too frothing with rage to hear anything they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Just saw this and enjoyed

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think Ash gets invited on for the same reason Owen Jones does. They're a cross section of everything the right hates so there's no chance of conversion.

Owens a gay posh child who thinks he knows more than you and even worse does, Ash is a Muslim woman who fucks and is attractive, smart and funny and ergo intimidating. Your average boomer will be too frothing with rage to hear anything they say.

Is there any reason to believe that Ash fucks? She spends a lot of time on Twitter and I'm reliably informed the two are incompatible

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there any reason to believe that Ash fucks? She spends a lot of time on Twitter and I'm reliably informed the two are incompatible
Surely nobody would lie on their Twitter bio :ohdear:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think whether or not someone fucks is not 1:1 correlated with whether they have sex. It's like an energy.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
so how does the three tier traffic light system line up to the five tier nandos alert system? Also lol that the oft-complained about 'draconian' measures of rule of 6 and commerce stopping at 10pm is described as a 'medium' level restriction now

Did we even get to the flamin' hot level 5 before the entire concept was memory holed?

Doccykins fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 12, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think whether or not someone fucks is not 1:1 correlated with whether they have sex. It's like an energy.

It's a good point. Jacob Rees-Mogg famously has six children but he most definitively does not "gently caress"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JosephineCumbo/status/1315607927001100288

I'm 89 and still working and living off of bread toasties but at least I can now afford a 2 bedroom ground floor flat.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm 89 and still working and living off of bread toasties but at least I can now afford a 2 bedroom ground floor flat.

lol "we could work to pop the housing bubble but it instead lets keep it inflated and ensure young people have no pension, which'll be fine because the retirement age will be 105 by then anyway"

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Perhaps if those young savers spent less on avocados and takeways, and had non-ballet related jobs they'd be able to save for a housing deposit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please also do not stop spending money on takeaways and avocados because it turns out that is 90% of the economy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I thought there was already a potential problem brewing with defined contribution schemes anyway, since employees in them are generally free to broadly choose how to invest them without the benefit of financial advice.

Auto-enrolment makes this worse, since basically if you get into a scheme at whatever age and financial knowledge level, you're told to pick how your pension contributions are being invested and dependent what you pick, pension could end up worth less than they expect if the stock market doesn't go up! up! UP! (edit: I know my company's one gives me about eight choices to split between plus one where it's automatically determined based on age, and even that many options would let me really gently caress up my pension savings depending what I chose)

Although just propping up housing and pushing out pension problems for 30+ years does sound entirely on brand so yeah.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They were probably just gonna spend those pensions on avocado toast and lattes anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Issue a couple of trillion in 40 year bonds with a 0.35% yield, call them National Housing Bonds and promise they'll be backed up by property, but are subject to potential paid buyback after a minimum 10 year period. Petrostates and US pension funds will snap them up. Use them to compulsory purchase every private rental in the UK and run them through existing letting agencies. Rent them out at two rates, a basic rate that covers agency fees and maintenance, and a higher rate based on regional and municipal rates that covers agency fees and maintenance and the remainder goes into a pot, effectively buying bonds back off the market. Use the fact you've now got a cool few million properties to maintain property prices steady. Paying maintenance on the bonds would cost half of what housing benefit currently costs, and by the time they mature they'll be entirely back in the hands of the renters, where you can offer a special rate buyback if they're used to buy the property they inhabit or put a deposit on a new house instead of having to find a couple of trillion under the sofa. Set all landlords to work in the salt mines.

Small issue that Parliament is 90% landlords and so would never ever do this.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Within 5 minutes of Starmer endorsing Biden you'd get a trump tweet about how the "hard communist left wing antifa UK LABOUR Party vote for Biden what does that tell you???".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If starmer is afraid of trump tweeting at him that's not a good indicator for someone who wants to be prime minister.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why would MI5 asset Kier Starmer want to antagonise the American president?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

OwlFancier posted:

If starmer is afraid of trump tweeting at him that's not a good indicator for someone who wants to be prime minister.

It's more about Trump's own base and argument. He throws up enough poo poo as it is without giving him some bona fide "someone to the left of mussolini supports Biden" ammo.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

OwlFancier posted:

especially as trump would @ the wrong person

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratjaculation posted:

especially as trump would @ the wrong person

Keir Dullea must be protected at all costs

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's more about Trump's own base and argument. He throws up enough poo poo as it is without giving him some bona fide "someone to the left of mussolini supports Biden" ammo.

I agree the best way to oppose fascism is to do nothing and keep your mouth shut.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There are precisely zero potential swing voters who could be educated about what a Keir Starmer is and convinced that he's Bad for Biden in time for 03NOV2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

20% clear baby!

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1315636683862405122?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

At this point I have absolutely no clue how to break that 40% hold the Tories have beyond letting Covid rampage through the home counties.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gonzo McFee posted:

At this point I have absolutely no clue how to break that 40% hold the Tories have beyond letting Covid rampage through the home counties.

Trick the tories into trying to do good

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sadly its probably this

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a good point. Jacob Rees-Mogg famously has six children but he most definitively does not "gently caress"

Obligatory image for this post.

https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/1079497781759365122?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Obligatory post for that image.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHeTz03Fd2A

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Doesn't seem to be working for Keir. A big mood board in Labour HQ with Tommy Robinson, the union jack and regional names for bread all linked together with bits of string, debating if they should rename Labour the Torie party to try and get more votes in.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Do not learn to code, you'll become a threat to all the stackoverflow browsers propping up the coding sector.

Such naked besmirching of the holy site of StackOverflow smh.

No but a fairly common attitude at least in YOSPOS is, slightly paraphrased, "what makes a junior programmer junior is that he doesn't google his problems, what makes a senior one senior is that he actually reads what came up".

That's why programmers deserve those salaries you see.

Though the UK ones aren't all that great anyway, at one point I was offered less for the same job position in Glasgow than in Eastern Europe (advertised as 25k for embedded engineer with >2 years of professional experience and a degree).

e: To name and shame it was Metix Medical, though they've bumped the pay slightly to 24k-28k (or it may be that as an eastern euro I only ever got the lower end of the range).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 12, 2020

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
This very thread was advising people to learn to code not long ago

A previous incarnation of this very thread, I mean.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Continuity RCP posted:

Well if you've got the stomach and modicum of talent for it it's still better than working retail.

The average is more like 36k, higher with lots of experience (degree a bonus).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Continuity RCP posted:

I advised it as a useful skill to have for everyday life (e.g. the Python scripts that now do all my podcast downloading, playlist making, etc) and as a nice distraction/puzzle to keep your brain ticking over.

e: We'll just gloss over that the *second* thing I did with my newfound Python skills was basically cyberstalking the entire thread

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Red Oktober posted:

This looks to be blowing up today - just want to add that it’s an old campaign from last year. That doesn’t make it better obviously but it’s not a knee-jerk COVID thing.

https://twitter.com/MrNishKumar/status/1315591206945148928?s=19

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

peanut- posted:

Getting everyone on the planet to learn2code is a big tech conspiracy to depress all computer toucher salaries.

It depresses me as someone who actively dislikes coding. I don't mean I can't do it. I mean it makes me feel like smashing my head in with a big hammer.

They might as well be saying 'don't worry there will always be a need for people who inject acid and piss into their face for minimum wage' like i'm supposed to be relieved.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 12, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm being silenced for being a woman i tell everyone in a national newspaper

https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1315558955746291712?s=20

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Is that fund for people in difficulties still active because Lowtax’s ex-wife is still in a DV shelter after a year?

LadyAmbien posted:

Thank you. I am doing both good and not so good. I am still living in a DV shelter, coming up on a year here at the end of November.

I have a lot to be thankful for though, and I do appreciate the apology. I understand why people thought what they did in the beginning.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gonzo McFee posted:

Apropos of nothing, reminder that Guy Opperman was on That Spreadsheet, listed as 'Guy Cop-A-Feel' because he is, quote: 'handsy with females'

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

10,000 won't get you a deposit most places anyway let alone cover the legal fees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Continuity RCP posted:

I still advice people not to code because it's loving tedious. Though I suppose it's better to do loving soulcrushingly boring work for £30k a year than soul crushingly boring work for minimum wage. But doing the latter means I can spend my free time doing something I enjoy rather than learning to code. You could say this is very short-termist to which I'd respond "yeah it is"