Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A single level? Pshaw. You may have to get at least 3 levels to calibrate true level, majority rule. a $5 level is apt to be erroneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It's a good idea to keep extra levels in various rooms around the house to make sure everything stays true, and you can't discount level apps for use in a pinch.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 12, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

you can discount level apps for use in a pinch.

iOS has one built in.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

iOS has one built in.

I'd love to see how that plays out in terms of Steve Jobsism.

also

FogHelmut posted:

It's a good idea to keep extra levels in various rooms around the house to make sure everything stays true

new thread title?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

iOS has one built in.

Fixed my typo.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have a torpedo level, but I can never trust that tiny little bastard. I went ahead and ordered the 24", because it was on sale for 10 dollars on Amazon. If it's too big, I can always just cut it in half and have two 12 inch levels. Win win situation either way.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

FogHelmut posted:

It's a good idea to keep extra levels in various rooms around the house to make sure everything stays true, and you can't discount level apps for use in a pinch.

This is assuming there's even a single thing in my house that's true, square, plumb, or flat.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
On the other hand, truly square, plump, and fat describes me pretty well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bioshuffle posted:

I have a torpedo level, but I can never trust that tiny little bastard. I went ahead and ordered the 24", because it was on sale for 10 dollars on Amazon. If it's too big, I can always just cut it in half and have two 12 inch levels. Win win situation either way.

THIS is why I love this forum, I learn something new every day!
Level too long? Cut it in half!
Tub sitting too high? Cut the floor joists.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Trabant posted:

On the other hand, truly square, plump, and fat describes me pretty well.

Then you are the one true goon metric. You have my level, goonsire!

edit-

On another, but perhaps similar note- Amazon have all DeWalt and Craftsman tools 40% off for their prime day.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/amazon-prime-day-is-on-here-are-the-best-deals.html

Mr. Mambold fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 12, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Mr. Mambold posted:

Then you are the one true goon metric. You have my level, goonsire!

edit-

On another, but perhaps similar note- Amazon have all DeWalt and Craftsman tools 40% off for their prime day.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/12/amazon-prime-day-is-on-here-are-the-best-deals.html
This is terrible news for my wallet. I'm treading the dangerous territory where I have to constantly fight off the urge to buy poo poo with the justification of "I can just borrow it".

Just this morning, I had to add and remove the Tacklife random orbital sander from my cart multiple times before the problem resolved itself by selling out. For $17, I should have just bought the dammed thing.

I'm licking my wounds by reading all the one star reviews though.

On a side note, I'd asked about buying Ryobi drills earlier in the thread. I ended up with a corded Dewalt drill for the price of free, and it's done everything I needed it to do and more. I have to remember a lot of you are tradesmen, and I'm just a home owner.

A home owner who doesn't have a sander.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

Fixed my typo.

See I misread your statement entirely, thought you said "you can get discount level apps".

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Inspired by one of the various threads in either AI or DIY, I popped onto craigslist to look at welders. There's 2 that seem to be good deals.

Hobart LX235 for $500 (I'd need to run 240V for this)
Lincoln 140 Weld Pack for $425

Both look new in box per the pics anyway. Would either of these be a good pickup for learning to stick metal parts together with the eventuality of learning how to weld car stuff?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

This is terrible news for my wallet. I'm treading the dangerous territory where I have to constantly fight off the urge to buy poo poo with the justification of "I can just borrow it".

If it makes it any easier, 40% off Amazon prices for DeWalt is probably still more expensive than buying refurbs off of eBay (as I've been doing) which you can do any time, not just on prime day.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Motronic posted:

If it makes it any easier, 40% off Amazon prices for DeWalt is probably still more expensive than buying refurbs off of eBay (as I've been doing) which you can do any time, not just on prime day.

Is there a particular seller you'd recommend?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Is there a particular seller you'd recommend?

I don't think I've ever used the same one twice. You can find refurbs that are still under factory warranty and that's mostly what I've been going with. I also had good luck buying used for some weird/expensive things like a grease gun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I need to rebuild and recalibrate a pair of turntables but I just realized I no longer own a frequency counter.

Recommend me a decent CHEAP bench top unit please.
I need to get it within .05kHZ and .1kOhm.

I know "cheap" is relative, but so is my budget. I'm willing to spend what I need to get what I require but I don't want to pay for other fancy features I'll likely never use.

I could utilize basic features that you'd expect to see in most bench top meters like signal generator, resistance, current, capacitance, etc...

Doesn't have to be new as long as a used unit is known to be accurate and reliable.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm 98% sure I know what video this screenshot is from.

Yep!

Yes indeed, love that channel. I want it for the same purpose, puttering around with old frames, and would kill to have access to his workshop...

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mr. Mambold posted:

new thread title?
It's too long :(

E:

Nosre posted:

Yes indeed, love that channel. I want it for the same purpose, puttering around with old frames, and would kill to have access to his workshop...
I could have sworn there is a special tool for removing glazing points. There are some cool pliers you use to put them in.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 13, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A level in every room keeps the whole house true

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
You need a smaller level for the bigger level to make sure it's level... and then a level for the smaller level to make sure that too is level.. and so on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rutibex posted:

A level in every room keeps the whole house true

A level per room keeps the structure from doom

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Keep levels all over so you don't end up like Grover.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Jaded Burnout posted:

:golfclap:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

:discourse:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Trabant posted:

Keep levels all over so you don't end up like Grover.

:grovertoot:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
On a scale of Ah! to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!, where does this fall?

https://imgur.com/a/oGZu33o

Also how long has mounting a ceiling fan this way been against code in Socal?

Edit: You're not the homeownership. You're not the homeownership thread at all!

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 14, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bondematt posted:

On a scale of Ah! to AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!, where does this fall?

https://imgur.com/a/oGZu33o

Also how long has mounting a ceiling fan this way been against code in Socal?

Edit: You're not the homeownership. You're not the homeownership thread at all!

Yeah that's a lmaodamn. :lmao::drat:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend me an endoscope inspection cam? I need to troubleshoot some plumbing issues.

I have an old Ridgid CA-100 that likes to randomly ground out. Seems to boot up fine and then the screen will go green and freeze if you bump the head. I could probably get a new camera attachment, but the process I’m seeing makes me wonder if it’s better just to get a new scope altogether instead

E: typo

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 16, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello DIYers! We have a new forum/mod feedback thread and would love to hear your thoughts!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944213

Get ready to read this message 15 more times in every thread you read!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Can anyone recommend me an endoscope inspection cam? I need to troubleshoot some plumbing issues.

I have an old Ridgid CA-100 that likes to randomly ground out. Seems to boot up fine and then the screen will go green and freeze if you bump the head. I could probably get a new camera attachment, but the process I’m seeing makes me wonder if it’s better just to get a new scope altogether instead

E: typo

I've got one that I got for $5 on Ebay that connects to my phone. It's a piece of crap, but it's worked every time I've needed it to, and at such a cheap price, I don't really care if it gets covered in poo poo or whatever.

Of course, I also don't rely on it for anything professional.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

What would you call this shaped bolt?

This crank sits on top of it to raise/lower the bed of a planer/thicknesser

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
D shaft, aptly named for its D shape ;)

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

D shaft, aptly named for its D shape ;)

That would make total sense, thanks!

I cannot seem to find anything in the UK what would work as a suitable replacement at a reasonable price.

Vier fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 20, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can you get a rod the same diameter and just grind the flat on yourself?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Vier posted:

I cannot seem to find anything in the UK what would work as a suitable replacement at a reasonable price.

What size rod do you need?

edit: You can also search for parts by the tool and probably get it direct from the manufacturer.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Vier posted:

Email or phone https://boltbase.com/ . They based in Alloa, Scotland and their entire job is sourcing esoteric bolts. They may find you your bolt, but the flattening of the head you may need to do yourself.

Take pictures and accurate measurements and email them!

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Ha sorry to confirm I need the handle/crank that sits on that bolt, not the bolt itself!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What did you do to the existing handle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vier posted:

Ha sorry to confirm I need the handle/crank that sits on that bolt, not the bolt itself!
You've got a woodshop, use it!