Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

And everyone sells it so damned well. I liked Brodie's crumple a lot

I should probably have contributed. I'm blinded by growing up in the Attitude Era when everyone had one finisher for years and it usually won, so I love the Stunner, the Rock's Bottom, and the Jackhammer, but I think my most recent one is the elevated Death Rider. For ones I hadn't seen at all until recently. Distinct, swift, final

I just can't think of any stand out innovations in the last decade

Somewhat tangental to this, what are some finishers that were so successful everyone started doing variations of them in a hurry? I'm thinking of the Shining Wizard in particular, as there was a period where basically everyone in Japan and th eUS indies was working up different versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I seem to remember a period in the late 90s when DDP and Austin were both on top when everyone was using a stunner or a cutter of some description.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

davidbix posted:

Henry is absolutely the best choice. His title win ended up saving SmackDown from a complete business collapse that was happening with Orton as champion. Just a couple weeks earlier, the 9/6/2011 SmackDown taping in Toledo drew 1,600 paid (with there being an equal number of comps to make the building look presentable on TV). Henry's title win reversed the trend enough to stop the bleeding.

1) I never really thought of that as a gold watch run.
2) I knew people were into the Hall of Pain thing but not to the degree where it could reverse business. Like, Mark Henry...he just...was not a good wrestler. Ever. It's like 'you're the world's strongest man, do a move...like a power move...or something.' Pulling the truck was great but you can't pull a drat truck in a wrestling ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spuckuk posted:

Somewhat tangental to this, what are some finishers that were so successful everyone started doing variations of them in a hurry? I'm thinking of the Shining Wizard in particular, as there was a period where basically everyone in Japan and th eUS indies was working up different versions.

The Burning Hammer got very popular on the indies, not as popular as the Shining WIzard (since most recognized the Burning Hammer should be a finish) but still had a bunch of guys doing it!

Exploders also got pretty popular.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Spuckuk posted:

the DDT has to count, going back a few decades

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lamuella posted:

I seem to remember a period in the late 90s when DDP and Austin were both on top when everyone was using a stunner or a cutter of some description.

That's still the case now, they're just transitional moves here in 2020.

I'd put superkicks in this conversation too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's the opposite end of the question:

What's a move you wish everyone would steal?

Before the huricanrana became popular American wrestlers would do a much different headscissors and it looked really cool. If you played WWF Warzone (or maybe it was Attitude?) Shawn Michaels did it in the game. I believe it dates back to Carpentier, where the wrestler scissors the head while laying out parallel to the shoulders and both roll forward.

It looks really cool and gravity defying. I wish more wrestlers would do it now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Spuckuk posted:

The DDT. Except for a long time there were no variations, just DDTs.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

CombineThresher posted:

That's still the case now, they're just transitional moves here in 2020.

I'd put superkicks in this conversation too.

Canadian Destroyers/Yoshi Tonics are starting to get there.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

Phoenix Splash. Matt Sydal doing a Phoenix Splash. Brian Cage doing a Phoenix Splash. The Butcher doing a Phoenix Splash. Otis...I don't actually care what Otis does I don't watch that show.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Before the huricanrana became popular American wrestlers would do a much different headscissors and it looked really cool. If you played WWF Warzone (or maybe it was Attitude?) Shawn Michaels did it in the game. I believe it dates back to Carpentier, where the wrestler scissors the head while laying out parallel to the shoulders and both roll forward.

It looks really cool and gravity defying. I wish more wrestlers would do it now.
I feel like the victory roll (the proper one from an electric chair position) isn’t as popular a pinning combination as it should be

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

I want to see a heel trio use the Ragnarok, though apparently it's a move that absolutely sucks to take.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The big choke slam and power bomb

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

I remember seeing some head scissors variations in WCW/NWO Revenge from the luchadors that I'd never seen before. That got me into stuff like Fire Pro that had all kinds of moves you just didn't see in American wrestling.

Thinking back to moves that blew my mind in those days,m I wish more people did a simple cradle driver like Lynn and Suzuki, and more people imitated the Cloverleaf instead of the Sharpshooter. I like weird submission holds. I remember Sasaki did this weird neck crank/armbar combo that he called one of his Strangleholds even though it wasn't a stranglehold.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I want to see more people do tossing uppercuts but that's more because I miss seeing cesaro do big spots

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Regal's old wristlclutch neckbreaker

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MassRafTer posted:

I want more people to do the Psycho Driver II. I just want people to pretend the 2000s destruction of the bodies of the AJPW guys never happened & we can go back to doing excessive head drops. Is that too much to ask? (Yes it is, this shouldn't happen despite me wanting it to)

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Regal's old wristlclutch neckbreaker

Yeah, I want more wrist clutch variations of moves. Like, wrist clutch exploder suplex is even cooler than the original exploder

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 12, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the steve mcmichael spinning tombstone

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm shocked we haven't see someone in WWE or AEW use the Rainmaker as a finisher. When done right it looks amazing and it's pretty safe too. And no Seth's lovely Vtrigger/Rainmaker fusion doesn't count

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I liked Wade Barrett's cutthroat elbow. Maybe not the best move for that guy, but a good move.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I feel like there was always a move someone in WWE would setup but never hit. Like, literally never, ever hit it because it logically didn't look like it could be done safely. It was one of those things where if you actually hit someone with it, it would just mean instant, catastrophic injury and death so you always knew it would never get hit but it was always setup anyway.

Am I thinking of someone/something that didn't exist, or was it not someone in WWE? I've been trying to think of it since the question came up and I'm blanking.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I feel like there was always a move someone in WWE would setup but never hit. Like, literally never, ever hit it because it logically didn't look like it could be done safely. It was one of those things where if you actually hit someone with it, it would just mean instant, catastrophic injury and death so you always knew it would never get hit but it was always setup anyway.

Am I thinking of someone/something that didn't exist, or was it not someone in WWE? I've been trying to think of it since the question came up and I'm blanking.

Gavok posted:

Razor Ramon going for a Razor's Edge to the outside. That spot always bugged me. He was hinting at a move that he was realistically never going to pull off safely as setup for his opponent to backdrop him out of the ring.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm shocked we haven't see someone in WWE or AEW use the Rainmaker as a finisher. When done right it looks amazing and it's pretty safe too. And no Seth's lovely Vtrigger/Rainmaker fusion doesn't count

Jimmy Havoc used a version of it before ... well, you know.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

DDT

E: beaten like a government mule

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ganso Bomb posted:

You see I always thought it was the suplex outside of the ride but then people starting hitting with it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Jimmy Havoc used a version of it before ... well, you know.

And it looked like the weakest poo poo, especially for a deathmatch guy

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

takako inoue's enzui knee drop

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Does anyone still do a diving knee as a big spot or finisher? I've seen a clip of Seth Rollins doing it but I don't watch WWE.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

The Minoru Tanaka Northern Lights-Armbreaker combination

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone still do a diving knee as a big spot or finisher? I've seen a clip of Seth Rollins doing it but I don't watch WWE.

Togi Makabe for some reason

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I Before E posted:

The Minoru Tanaka Northern Lights-Armbreaker combination

Cosign on this, that poo poo is slicker than Crisco

Gaz-L posted:

Togi Makabe for some reason

He's essentially a Bruiser Brody tribute and Brody's finish was the King Kong Kneedrop

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Definitely the Tiger Driver 98 its a dangerous move but it looks spectacular.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

A number of people do it, including Joey Janela, but I would love to see someone use a picture-perfect Randy Savage top rope elbow as a finisher. There's something about the air time he gets on it that I haven't seen imitators replicate (apart from Kairi Sane, but her elbow is something else entirely).

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Punk used to do it but it looked bad

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perry Saturn's elbow drop was beautiful but I don't think he ever used it as a finisher.

I liked Mox's headlock driver back when he used that as a finisher, but I get why no one would ever want to take that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The problem with stuff like the Tiger Driver 98 is that as soon as someone steals it, so will five other guys, and they'll use it as a standard finisher or worse, a mid-match spot. Then it will be part of the finisher treadmill and we'll have to see a top rope variation for anyone to give a poo poo. Somewhere out there, some idiot in a wrestling school thinks he's going to end every match with a Kawada Driver.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Spuckuk posted:

The Spear

aside from how many real wrestlers picked it up, every e-fed character was doing it (+superkicks, canadian destroyers)

MassRafTer posted:

Wrath/Adam Bomb/Bryan Clark's pumphandle slam (The Meltdown?) looked cool as poo poo and I don't think I've seen anyone that size do that particular slam like that again

also, the way el generico would sort of come off the ground for yakuza kicks, like they were jumping yakuza kicks and my favorite

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

Give every power guy the Muscular Bomb. Also everyone should do elaborate lucha pins.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Bring back heels using the abdominal stretch with rope (or tag partner) as leverage when the ref's not looking (I think FTR did this recently though)

also the Cobra Clutch

e: or this, especially the pre-hit dance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcbMuW5-mj0

it's like a Full LASHLEY + Rock Bottom and owns

Hirez fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lamuella posted:

A number of people do it, including Joey Janela, but I would love to see someone use a picture-perfect Randy Savage top rope elbow as a finisher. There's something about the air time he gets on it that I haven't seen imitators replicate (apart from Kairi Sane, but her elbow is something else entirely).

The way Savage did his elbow was to keep his arm down by his side; everybody else seems to raise to their head or higher

Seams posted:

Punk used to do it but it looked bad

Like every move Punk copied from someone better