Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

send the game save in a probe to alpha centauri imho

Centuries later, we receive the first radio message from aliens: "Holy crap, when did Miriam get jets???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sned the yosworms

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm still in love with the thread title

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

I'm still in love with the thread title

it's a smoka quote, and a powerful one at that

I have a backlog of updates, I'll try to get caught up soon. sorry for the weeks and weeks of spooky utter quiet!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

i'll sned the save tonight or tomorrow morning

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

who has the save right now? i sent it to Improbable Lobster on the 13th and have yet to see it since

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

who has the save right now? i sent it to Improbable Lobster on the 13th and have yet to see it since

good question, I'll dig into the archives and send some strategic PMs ...

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ok, time to get caught up. the last turn i posted was 2221, and i sent off 2226 a couple days ago, so i owe 5 turns. a few interesting things have happened!

i'll start with a recap, since it's been a while:

here's what the map looks like in 2222

the Gaians (i.e., me) are allied with the Hive and the University -- the Hive is across a little channel to the west from our starting continent, and the University is way across the map in the northern hemisphere. we have peace treaties with the Free Drones (neighbors of the Hive) and the Believers, and some sort of semi-informal truce with the Pirates, who've managed to spread out into all the major oceans. we have a vendetta against our mortal enemies, the Spartans, who are straight north in the other hemisphere. last time i checked the Spartans were at war with every other faction as well.

the Hive has planetary governorship currently, so they're benefiting from all those nice commerce bonuses. the Hive and the Spartans are basically neck-and-neck in terms of votes for governor (after the Gaians ofc, who have a very big population), and there's another election coming up in a few turns. this'll come down to whoever has the most population at the time of the election.

here's the Gaian territory
initial continent:

expansion into the jungle:

strategery:
the main thing is that i want to generate a lot of research. right now i have 10 mines+roads on rocky tiles that i can harvest with supply crawlers, but they're limited to 2 minerals/turn because i haven't discovered Ecological Engineering yet, which will remove the mineral production cap. i also want to discover Environmental Economics to eliminate the equivalent energy production cap.
i also want a large population and lots of big bases. more workers means more energy and minerals, which means faster research and faster base facility construction. if bases are big enough i can convert citizens to librarians who directly produce research.

to achieve these goals, i've engineered a democratic planned-economy society focused on wealth:

good stuff:
+4 growth means my bases can grow really fast (keep an eye on what happens to Peace Outpost between now and 2226)
+2 industry means my bases build things 20% faster
bad stuff:
-2 support means most of my units cost an extra mineral per turn to maintain
-3 morale means my military is unbelievably lovely. this is especially awful since i'm nominally fighting a planetary war against the Spartans, who have an elite military and powerful combat bonuses.

a third motivating factor is that the Spartans conquered my sea base a while ago and gave it a cheeky new name, and i would like them to not do that. we'll get back to that later.

the first interesting thing that happened is i landed scouts on the crash site of the UNS Unity.

in most games someone finds this really early, and the wreckage contains nice goodies like locations of other faction landing sites and a laser infantry unit. the most useful thing for me is the 300 energy credits gained by salvaging the secondary reactor:

i used this cash to accelerate construction of Research Hospital facilities in my most effective bases. the Hospital gives a +50% research bonus, which stacks with the Network Node for +100% research in total. it also increases Psych production and eliminates a drone, which helps keep my workers happy and productive. check out these sweet research numbers in Ligma Falls, which somehow became my most energy-productive base:

the second interesting thing is that i finished production of a Foil Probe Team and sent it over to the base the Spartans captured

i don't really understand the factors that determine how much it costs to capture a base with a probe team. if a base was recently captured that definitely reduces the cost, and if a base has high drone activity it reduces the cost as well. in any case, it apparently will cost 31 energy credits to capture this base.

:toot:

this means i basically paid 8 energy credits to do this

big F in chat for that probe team, though

this is kind of an op move, since mind control also gives you control of units within the base, which in this case consists of an infantry garrison and an impact foil.

the third interesting thing that happened was a naval battle against an intruding Spartan impact foil

which i ended up destroying, at the cost of one of my foils. the defensive bonus from hiding in sea fungus wasn't enough to overcome the terrible morale penalty caused by my social engineering choices.

the following turns weren't as eventful as 2223, mostly just terraforming. i basically have these big mobs of 5 formers at a time going around and cranking out improvements. i built the first echelon mirror i've ever made in a game, and i'll work on surrounding it with solar panels and building more supply crawlers to harvest the energy. i'm going to try to build a borehole in anticipation of the mineral and energy limits eventually being lifted, but it's been really hard to find a spot to build it on since it needs to be on level terrain (in terms of altitude, vs. rockiness) and my continent is very hilly.

the map in 2226:

the ever-important faction rankings:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Depending on how much terraformer effort you want to sink into it, the pro move is to raise a square and then drop it again.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
He has the weather paradigm, so it should be like 3 turns to build a borehole even after raising/lowering with his army of formers.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:allears:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chairman Yang of the Wu-Tang Hive here, checking in

Glorgnole posted:

the Gaians (i.e., me) are allied with the Hive and the University -- the Hive is across a little channel to the west from our starting continent, and the University is way across the map in the northern hemisphere. we have peace treaties with the Free Drones (neighbors of the Hive) and the Believers, and some sort of semi-informal truce with the Pirates, who've managed to spread out into all the major oceans. we have a vendetta against our mortal enemies, the Spartans, who are straight north in the other hemisphere. last time i checked the Spartans were at war with every other faction as well.

the Free Drones were the first faction that i encountered on account of sharing an island with them. we chose peaceful coexistence and have had a pact ever since. that said i do feel a bit guilty as the island hasn't exactly been divided evenly and the Drones only occupy one-third on the eastern side. this happened because i got greedy in the early game and wanted a base in the middle of Sunny Mesa at the centre of the island.

as it stands i've run outta space on the island and am currently preparing to expand west (don't worry Smoka i'm going island hopping and staying outta your precious oceans). currently i only have one base that isn't on the main island, it's on a tiny island to the north and i established it as an FOB to put a buffer between myself and the Spartans. note that in the picture above it looks like my westernmost base is on a separate island however it's actually just on a peninsula connected to the main island.

i hope the Drones are also planning on expanding, things look kinda cramped over there :ohdear:

Glorgnole posted:

the third interesting thing that happened was a naval battle against an intruding Spartan impact foil

which i ended up destroying, at the cost of one of my foils. the defensive bonus from hiding in sea fungus wasn't enough to overcome the terrible morale penalty caused by my social engineering choices.

i'm pretty sure that's the same foil that murdered one of my synthmetal laser foils as well as a transport foil:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i got a battle report saying i'd lost a battle but for the life of me could not work out where! meanwhile i've got my drone riots sorted for the time being thanks to rec commons and hologram theatres.

happened again on MY 2212 but this time i worked it out: god drat Spartans sniped my Transport Foil which had two units on board! :argh:

looks like the Spartans are going for naval superiority. this could be you smoka in a few more turns: :pirate:

either way, thank you for your sacrifice and keeping the oceans safe.

i've got the save at the moment, will play my turn and send it along shortly.

edit: i've done the needful. here's a look at things on the Human Hive/Free Drones island co-op as well as the surrounding area in MY MY 2226:

i should really add some custom landmarks around the island

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 11, 2020

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Glorgnole posted:

the gently caress have university been doing alone on their bigass island in the middle of nowhere all these years

i should maybe remember this but this game has been going on forever lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the gently caress have university been doing alone on their bigass island in the middle of nowhere all these years

on november 11th the game will have reached 3 years old

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

the University got invaded by the Spartans a while back and that kinda slowed things down for a while

also they do have a 4th base but it's in the little area i haven't "explored" yet so it doesn't show up on the Gaian map

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Depending on how much terraformer effort you want to sink into it, the pro move is to raise a square and then drop it again.

that's useful to know about, though i still need to research Environmental Economics before i get the raise/lower terrain terraforming command

e: nm, that's one of the terraforming things The Weather Paradigm unlocks early

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 11, 2020

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Like I said 2.5 years ago. The Weather Paradigm is op and absolutely should be prioritized early on if you are going to be build a wonder at all.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

happy third birthday, little thread :3:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

happy third birthday, little thread :3:

:toot:

the first attempt at this thread was in the imp zone and i feel strongly that the lack of an equivalent "speedrun" tag in yospos is an ENORMOUS missed opportunity

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

foreverially-banned poster anthonypants says their piece

quote:

I haven't done my turn yet but in response to the thread:
Several years ago, the Spartan Federation sent a team of diplomats to the University, to request that they withdraw their support of the Worms. In the end, Zakharov would not allow them to return.

The Spartan Federation understands that the University is not our enemy. The enemy of Humanity is the Worms. If we are to exist on this planet, they must be eliminated; if the Spartan Federation is to fight them alone, then we will fight them to our last breath.

e: truth to power

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 13, 2020

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

brief notes from mission year 2227

i just researched Planetary Economics*, which is my first tier 4 tech (neat!). one of the things this unlocks is the global trade pact planetary council decision. which increases your energy income if you have lots of buds but doesn't do anything for the friendless (looking at you, spartans)

anyway, i've proposed that the planetary council votes on this. i think this is the first thing we've voted on that hasn't been planetary governor. exciting! iirc this is one of the things where each council member just has 1 vote.

* i was thinking that this seems out of place in the tech tree, since it unlocks the hybrid forest base facility, but you need to have built tree farms first, which are gated behind Environmental Economics, a tier 5 tech which i haven't discovered yet. it looks like Planetary Economics was moved from tier 6 to tier 4 for the Alien Crossfire expansion, which i guess explains that.

e: oh yeah i also accidentally crashed my game by trying clicking on a "forest has expanded" notification in someone else's territory so a) don't do that, and b) sorry for the scary message saying i may have done something underhanded

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

e: oh yeah i also accidentally crashed my game by trying clicking on a "forest has expanded" notification in someone else's territory so a) don't do that, and b) sorry for the scary message saying i may have done something underhanded

note that it will actually crash if you click on any notification messages in the HUD so just don't even click there lol

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

note that it will actually crash if you click on any notification messages in the HUD so just don't even click there lol

lol of course

do you know if it's something with our game specifically, or is it like that for multiplayer in general?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

lol of course

do you know if it's something with our game specifically, or is it like that for multiplayer in general?

tbh i havent played much smac multiplayer outside of this pbem game. hard to say if it's a common issue with mp or due to running smac on newer windows

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

[MY 2228, Planetary Council chambers interior]

*gavel banging*

Planetary Governor Yang: yo who has the save right now?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

[MY 2228, Planetary Council chambers interior]

*gavel banging*

Planetary Governor Yang: yo who has the save right now?

(voice of planet) its u

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"echelon mirror" more like "a schlong mirror"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

one more vote is required to seal the deal on the Gaians (Glorgnole) Global Trade Pact proposal:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the 3-year game anniversary is next week. also where dat save at

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Glorg did my turn so :shrug:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the 3-year game anniversary is next week. also where dat save at

it just made its way back around to me and i've sent it onwards!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just sent on the save, the Global Trade Pact resolution passed so time to rake in the cash!

also happy third birthday! according to my e-mails the anniversary was earlier this week:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thanks for running the game glorg

im not playing, but its been fun to watch

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if you find this good I have such sights to show you

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
2023 is gonna be my year i know it