Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

I used the same case for like 10 years and when I went to build my ITX build I was blown away that modern computers didn't have disk drives.

EDIT:

This was the first case I ever bought

https://techreport.com/review/4771/antecs-lanboy-case/

Oh thats a classic! I also used my first case like 10 years. It was stunning but had a ton of galaxy brain ideas.

See its front intake was only for hard drives and the psu. They flipped the mobo 180, gpu up top with a side exhaust. The intake for the cpu is in the back (im serious) and that flows up to the gpu.

The crazy bastards then have you slap a right angle duct on your psu exhaust so it doesnt enter cpu intake right above it.

I replaced that with my 450D because I didnt have the balls to fully give up the versatility of a blue ray burner drive.

I cant wait to see how my new 500D gets outdated. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm getting ready to put a PC PartsPicker list together, but for now I'm stuck on what case/form factor to go with.
Any thoughts on the following options?
I'm in Japan so the prices are all wonky here. I'll put the prices in both JPY and USD, they include tax and shipping.

If I go m-atx I'm looking at the Meshify C (8873 yen / 84.13$) + NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM x2 (4796 yen / 45.47$ for a pair) using the stock 120 for exhaust (Total: 13669 yen / 129.61$)
Stepping up to full ATX I can get the Lancool Mesh 2 Performance stock fans (11800 yen / 111.88$), this is definitely the most cost effective option but the case is massive and heavy for a Japanese apartment and I don't like the aesthetics.
Finally there's the Be Quiet 500dx that comes with three Pure Wings 2 fans. The case is expensive here at (16664 yen / 158$) but the 3 fans retail for (1580 yen / 14.98$) each. I could mentally subtract the cost of those fans to make the price of the case hurt less, but the Pure Wings 2 are probably not as good as the Noctua's I'd put in the Meshify C, no idea how they would compare to the stock Lancool Mesh 2 fans.

In terms of aesthetic preference, I would rank them 1) 500dx White, 2) Meshify C, and 3) Lancool Mesh 2.
I should also say Phanteks cases don't seem to be available here locally without paying through the nose by importing them.

I'm going to go with an RTX 3070 when they become available, so the m-atx form factor makes me a little nervous.

TIA if anyone can offer their opinion.

You can always do a case swap down the road or a fan swap.

The 140mm next gen Noctua fans,140mm a12x25, wont be out for a year or 2 (or maybe 4 lol )so you could just plan on doing a fan swap later.

Filling every fan slot with cheap pwm fans actually gives great results for silence at idle temps anyway.

Nothing is loud under 1000rpms, and who cares when you game.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 12, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

redpleb posted:

so if I wanted to upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 as part of my new pc build, is the expectation that those will likely drop in price after the release of zen 3 in november? should I wait until then to get everything?

Depends on availability. You may be able to get a 5600X for around the same price as a 3600 or 3700 now, or the Zen2s may drop if availability meets demand for the 5600: really no way to know. If you're hoping for the most bang-for-your-buck on the low-to-mid-range, it may be prudent to wait five weeks for Black Friday deals and Zen3...

If you need something new now: may as well buy now. The old axiom that "the right time to build a PC is three months from now" will always hold true. :shrug:

spunkshui posted:

You can always do a case swap down the road or a fan swap.

The 140mm next gen Noctua fans,140mm a12x25, wont be out for a year or 2 (or maybe 4 lol )so you could just plan on doing a fan swap later.

Filling every fan slot with cheap pwm fans actually gives great results for silence at idle temps anyway.

Nothing is loud under 1000rpms, and who cares when you game.

Seconding this. I got this 4-pack of Cooler Master fans for $18USD and they work great! I have three on top of the case, wired through the case's PWM hub to just idle until the CPU gets to 60C and then start ramping up the cold-air dump! :iceburn:

Since my giant Noctua NH-U14S keeps the CPU under 55C pretty much all the time, you never really hear fans turning at 700rpm. :shrug:

I will probably upgrade to fancy, $20 silent fans eventually, but the stock case fans and those CMs are doing a whisper-quiet job right now. :monocle:

Bonobos posted:

Hello thread. I have a 3090 (not 3080) gpu en route, and plan to go with 5900x amd (if I can get one on launch) on an x570 msi motherboard (currently a 3900x).

Power calculators recommend 598-640w. I have a year old EVGA 750gtx P2 Platinum power supply. How likely am I to destroy my equipment / trip the breakers? If it matters I wouldn’t plan on overclocking beyond the normal cpu / gpu boost modes. System has 6 fans and 3 SSD’s.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with an 850W or 1000w power supply and sell this one before I break it?

EVGA's website (https://www.evga.com/power-meter/) says 650W should be enough, if you're not overclocking, but I believe NVIDIA recommends 850W for that one. In this reporter's humble opinion, however, a new, gold-rated 850W PSU is 10% of the price of a 3090 so why risk it? Get a nice Seasonic and have the piece of mind. :homebrew:

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

redpleb posted:

so if I wanted to upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 as part of my new pc build, is the expectation that those will likely drop in price after the release of zen 3 in november? should I wait until then to get everything?

I would not expect much of a price drop since Zen 3 is on average being charged 100 USD vs Zen 2 at the same tier. They are pricing it this way probably because they know they will sell through their inventory at these prices and it also keeps their Zen 2 lineup relevant in pricing.

The way I would tackle this problem would be to sketch out a full parts list that includes a 3600 at MSRP of $199. Determine a maximum "buy now" price for that component and watch it like a hawk. The moment the CPU breaks your threshold, pull the trigger immediately on the complete build. If it doesn't get there and it starts trending up again, pull the trigger. If it starts trending back up, it probably won't come back down again until it doesn't exist anymore,

No one has a crystal ball but IMO, it would be a miracle for a 3600 to hit $149 USD. Black Friday might get you there if there is enough stock to last until then.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

EVGA's website (https://www.evga.com/power-meter/) says 650W should be enough, if you're not overclocking, but I believe NVIDIA recommends 850W for that one. In this reporter's humble opinion, however, a new, gold-rated 850W PSU is 10% of the price of a 3090 so why risk it? Get a nice Seasonic and have the piece of mind. :homebrew:

Thanks for that, Nvidia recommends 750 so I *should* theoretically be ok, it’s just cutting it close I think and that worries me. And of course who knows if the 5900x will suck more power.

I guess I’m just trying to limit my expenses, unless absolutely necessary...I already have to get a new case just to fit this thing...But I do value of mind so maybe I’ll grab one if I can find one on sale.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
It is time to finally upgrade my 7 year old PC

What country are you in?
:britain:

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming and computer janitor from home-ing

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
£1500 including monitor

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Needs enough juice to power a smallish testing VM farm but my current box has been doing that just fine so I would only see improvement no matter what I get

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
I want to play Flight Simulator at 1440p

Current PC:

CPU: Intel i5 3750k OC'd to 4.2Ghz
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: MSI Z77A-G45
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Cruicial MX500 2TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: XFX 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Samsung C27F390 27 Inch Curved Monitor - Black

Am going for a completely new build + monitor

Looking at

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 [3|5]600 - This is the big Q, is the 5600 going to be worth paying for over any 3600[X] going cheap in the next couple of months. Currently have the 3600X in for £199.94
Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO because it does its job £28.80
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX - Ideally future proofing with Wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 (the onboard Bluetooth is a must as I spend a lot of my day job in calls via a bluetooth headset) £129.97
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 - Is 3600 worth it or no? £115.99
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive - Again does the job, got the previous one on sale for £200 so happy to wait for Black Friday in case this does another leg down £196.08
Video Card: Need some advice on what to do here... Currently waiting for the 3070 stock to spin up which should hopefully end up being ~£500. Can't really justify ~£750 on a 3080 unless the difference in flight sim is super apparent? Random whocares in atm for £513.67
Case: Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower - Absolutley not fussed on case cosmetics as long as it's easy enough to throw in the parts but this one seems good value and well rated. £50.47
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS 750 W 80+ Gold - Going for the 750W in case I get tempted to throw in with the 3080 (and it's £2 more than the 650 version) £109.99

Total exc monitor: £1344.91

Monitor: No idea, more research needed but a quick scan and I like the look of the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz - Does 165Hz put more strain on the graphics card than 144Hz by any stretch or is this a marketing gimmick to be ~~ more than 144Hz ~~? £439.99

Total inc monitor: £1784.90. Well, that's a completely blown budget. Let's see what some searching around and sales do to that number.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

sean10mm posted:

This all looks pretty good to me tbh, I'd just wait until the 3070 is on EVGA's step-up list before pulling the trigger on that.

I think the Arctic F14 that tops out at like 1300 RPM is the quieter model if noise is a concern.

I'm days late but thanks for looking it over. You've sent me down a rabbithole of Arctic fans and it looks like they recommend the P series if the fan is having to push/pull through a filter, so now I'm thinking about just grabbing a value pack of P14's and packing out the whole front & top of the case with those and have an F12 as the exhaust.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pegnose Pete posted:

I'm getting ready to put a PC PartsPicker list together, but for now I'm stuck on what case/form factor to go with.
Any thoughts on the following options?
I'm in Japan so the prices are all wonky here. I'll put the prices in both JPY and USD, they include tax and shipping.

If I go m-atx I'm looking at the Meshify C (8873 yen / 84.13$) + NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM x2 (4796 yen / 45.47$ for a pair) using the stock 120 for exhaust (Total: 13669 yen / 129.61$)
Stepping up to full ATX I can get the Lancool Mesh 2 Performance stock fans (11800 yen / 111.88$), this is definitely the most cost effective option but the case is massive and heavy for a Japanese apartment and I don't like the aesthetics.
Finally there's the Be Quiet 500dx that comes with three Pure Wings 2 fans. The case is expensive here at (16664 yen / 158$) but the 3 fans retail for (1580 yen / 14.98$) each. I could mentally subtract the cost of those fans to make the price of the case hurt less, but the Pure Wings 2 are probably not as good as the Noctua's I'd put in the Meshify C, no idea how they would compare to the stock Lancool Mesh 2 fans.

In terms of aesthetic preference, I would rank them 1) 500dx White, 2) Meshify C, and 3) Lancool Mesh 2.
I should also say Phanteks cases don't seem to be available here locally without paying through the nose by importing them.

I'm going to go with an RTX 3070 when they become available, so the m-atx form factor makes me a little nervous.

TIA if anyone can offer their opinion.

you are talking about very small differences in total cost between the Be Quiet and Meshify/noctua packages (ignoring the Lian Li package due to size), and i would suggest that, assuming you keep the build for like five years, that it's probably worth the ~600 yen per year to get a case that you prefer aesthetically. beQuiet pure wings fans are fairly decent.

Bark! A Vagrant
Jan 4, 2007

Grad school is good for mental health

MikeC posted:

Can you quickly read over these 2 threads and see if they pertain to you? I only play games and make random lovely youtube videos so I don't know the software you are talking about. Just want to confirm that your work will scale across many cores and you won't top out at some point since these users seem to indicate that you can run into cases with low CPU core utilization. VowpalWabbit seems to use 2 threads only though? Once again I don't use it, just some quick googling.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62527902/rstan-very-low-cpu-utilization

https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/issues/158

https://statmodeling.stat.columbia.edu/2017/06/16/speed-parallelizing-stan-using-message-passing-interface-mpi/

If the answer is yes and your Stan stuff definitely scales with cores, at around 1000 dollars you could probably assemble a 3900x (12 core SMT) with 32-64 Gigs of Ram before GPU, storage and case. If you need a GPU to game with and it is important to your build, we can scale back the CPU to make room for a non-trash tier video card. Tell us the resolution and Hz of the monitor along with the types of games you want to play (AAA, indie, Witcher/Skyrim Mod Infinite) at target settings.

Not at all, I just think it is a bad time to buy unless you literally have no computer at all until the CPU and video card market shakes it self out. *It is a good time* to start sketching out your requirements and likely build parts so you can start watching PCPartpicker to watch for pricing trends or sales so you can evaluate a good time to pull the trigger and max out your dollars.

It should scale. The first thread was definitely user error, not sure about the second, and the feature mentioned in the blog post is now implemented in the core language. For my own sanity, here's the CPU utilization from a project I'm currently working on:

For gaming, I'm interested in working my way through what I've missed from not having a desktop in like eight years — RDR2, Dark Souls, Bloodborne if that gets ported to PC, and things like that. Though I imagine if I have a working desktop I'll want to play some games as they come out, but wouldn't be too worried if I had to lower the settings a bit. My current monitor’s resolution is 2560x1440 with a 60Hz refresh rate. I might consider getting a second monitor at the same resolution but with a higher refresh rate (a separate budget of ~$500), but probably not immediately.

This is still missing a GPU, but here's a skeleton:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($126.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1006.94

For the month of December I'll be near a Microcenter.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

It should scale. The first thread was definitely user error, not sure about the second, and the feature mentioned in the blog post is now implemented in the core language. For my own sanity, here's the CPU utilization from a project I'm currently working on:

For gaming, I'm interested in working my way through what I've missed from not having a desktop in like eight years — RDR2, Dark Souls, Bloodborne if that gets ported to PC, and things like that. Though I imagine if I have a working desktop I'll want to play some games as they come out, but wouldn't be too worried if I had to lower the settings a bit. My current monitor’s resolution is 2560x1440 with a 60Hz refresh rate. I might consider getting a second monitor at the same resolution but with a higher refresh rate (a separate budget of ~$500), but probably not immediately.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)

Pass on the P1, it's the old recommendation that just won't die lol

SN550, SN750, SX8200 Pro, P31 Gold and some others I forget are better choices IMO

e: The B550M Bazooka is basically a B450 MAX with the newer chipset for $5 more.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

This is tangentially related but does anyone have recommendations for container to organize various computer screws? I know screw organizers are a thing but there's so many to choose from I was curious if anyone had a personal recommendation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not sure if this has come up, but is a mid tower size fine if you are just putting in a GPU and maybe one regular SSD and a NVME SSD? I haven’t really looked to see if the 3070 or 3080 will fit yet.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not sure if this has come up, but is a mid tower size fine if you are just putting in a GPU and maybe one regular SSD and a NVME SSD? I haven’t really looked to see if the 3070 or 3080 will fit yet.

Cases will list the maximum GPU length with front fans installed. For a Meshify C it's 315mm, which will fit all but the biggest 3080 cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok thanks

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

FlamingLiberal posted:

to add to what Sean said, I would expect any relatively modern mid-tower, i.e. any case that has done away with the front rails for 5.25 bays and HDDs, should fit a 3070/3080 fine assuming you're not installing a front rad with fans. We are starting to see some manufacturers shrinking case length now that those rails are a thing of the past but it's still somewhat rare and it should be pretty obvious when a case is that short. When in doubt though, just check the GPU length spec on PCPP if it's listed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah i plan to double check that when the 3070 comes out. I would think it would be smaller than the 3080.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
How do people fee about the hypothetical value proposition of a 3700x for, let’s say it drops to, oh, 275 or so, versus a 5600x at MSRP of 299 in 3 weeks?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

CaptainPsyko posted:

How do people fee about the hypothetical value proposition of a 3700x for, let’s say it drops to, oh, 275 or so, versus a 5600x at MSRP of 299 in 3 weeks?

With the potential gains derived from the now fully shared cache and the improved instructions per clock in the 5000 series I feel like it's worth the extra $20 to go with the 5600, but I would also expect to be able to pick up a used 3700x for much less from all the people moving to Zen3 so if you're looking to save some money and still get great performance I'd say that's the route to go. But I'm sure we'll start getting actual benchmark comparisons soon so we'll know more concretely how big a difference it is.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scruff McGruff posted:

With the potential gains derived from the now fully shared cache and the improved instructions per clock in the 5000 series I feel like it's worth the extra $20 to go with the 5600, but I would also expect to be able to pick up a used 3700x for much less from all the people moving to Zen3 so if you're looking to save some money and still get great performance I'd say that's the route to go. But I'm sure we'll start getting actual benchmark comparisons soon so we'll know more concretely how big a difference it is.

My brain will not allow me to buy a used CPU for some reason so I guess I’m waiting.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

My brain will not allow me to buy a used CPU for some reason so I guess I’m waiting.

Why not? As long as it doesn’t get damaged, cpus basically never die.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Kingnothing posted:

Why not? As long as it doesn’t get damaged, cpus basically never die.

I didn’t say my brain was rational!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CaptainPsyko posted:

Personally I'm going to wait for benchmarks. I'm at 1440p anyway so I'm not sure how big of a leap it will actually be. Assuming 19% at 1080p but really curious to see if it's like single digit FPS increases above that. 3700x is currently $280 at my local microcenter (about $10 more than a couple weeks back) and they knock $20 off a mobo when buying both. It's still a really good deal that's hard for me to pass on until I know a little more about the new stuff.

If it turns out to be significant, I may completely flip and pony up for the 5900. :homebrew: I've always been a bang for buck sort of guy but I update PCs so infrequently that I may splurge this time around. If I will allow myself to do so. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 12, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Suburban Dad posted:

Personally I'm going to wait for benchmarks. I'm at 1440p anyway so I'm not sure how big of a leap it will actually be. Assuming 19% at 1080p but really curious to see if it's like single digit FPS increases above that. 3700x is currently $280 at my local microcenter (about $10 more than a couple weeks back) and they knock $20 off a mobo when buying both. It's still a really good deal that's hard for me to pass on until I know a little more about the new stuff.

The operative question there is "what gpu to you have"? And, with Zen2 selling as well as it does despite having a 0-20 fps below 144 deficit, will people pay more for the top when the gap between your CPUs max and your monitors max is so small if Intel platforms are cheaper?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Some Goon posted:

The operative question there is "what gpu to you have"? And, with Zen2 selling as well as it does despite having a 0-20 fps below 144 deficit, will people pay more for the top when the gap between your CPUs max and your monitors max is so small if Intel platforms are cheaper?

Currently on a 1070 but looking to go to a 3080 if they ever are in stock again. So for the next few months it's probably all moot anyway. :v: Without benchmarks I'm trying not to lean too far in either direction since I still don't know what I'm looking to spend, either.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Coredump posted:

This is tangentially related but does anyone have recommendations for container to organize various computer screws? I know screw organizers are a thing but there's so many to choose from I was curious if anyone had a personal recommendation.

Those pill containers from CVS/Walgreens work well. Personally, I usually keep either the motherboard or PSU box and throw all of the extra bits from a build in there and just keep it in a closet. :shrug:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are talking about very small differences in total cost between the Be Quiet and Meshify/noctua packages (ignoring the Lian Li package due to size), and i would suggest that, assuming you keep the build for like five years, that it's probably worth the ~600 yen per year to get a case that you prefer aesthetically. beQuiet pure wings fans are fairly decent.

Hmm yeah that does put things into perspective. I'm planning to build a pretty high end machine now that should last longer than 5 years if I upgrade the video card around then. Even if I build a whole new machine I can reuse the case assuming I don't burn a whole in the thing.
Thanks!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think a lot of people would want a front usb-c port some time in the next 5 years and the Meshify doesn't have that. It's due for an update so if you're buying something now I'd get the phanteks or be quiet

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've been digging around random forums and can't seem to find an answer to this.

I have an i-8700K on an ASRock z370 Taichi. I'm looking to move from 16GB of RAM to 32GB, both for games and for some work-related VM stuff. Ram is cheap, so I'd like to buy the best RAM possible, and pass the old sticks to my server. I can spend $150 or more if needed, but all the DDR4 3600 kits seemed to be tuned for AMD.

What should I be looking for?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think a lot of people would want a front usb-c port some time in the next 5 years and the Meshify doesn't have that. It's due for an update so if you're buying something now I'd get the phanteks or be quiet

I think hardly anybody has a use for usb-c on their PC or even knows what it is tbh

Like if you personally have a reason to care about it then by all means get a mobo/case with front panel usb-c but otherwise meh.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Just popping in one last time to again say thanks for all the build help when i was first sourcing parts for my new machine. I've finally completed the build with an extremely lucky acquisition of an RTX 3080 FE. Certainly my most favorite machine of mine that I've ever built. Thanks again goons!

Here's a little imgur album with process and final build photos:
https://imgur.com/a/iXYHDqm

And a few preview images:

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Speaking of USB-C....

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. $1500 - $2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Currently have a couple Asus 27" 1080p 60hz refresh rate monitors, but as seen in the build going to get an LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor...had intended to get a nice 4k monitor, but I guess I need to wait for monitors to catch up with HDMI 2.1.

Built my current comp in 2015 in anticipation of Witcher 3. Still rocking an i5-4690 and a GTX 970. Now it's time to make one for Cyberpunk 2077.

Here's what I got so far...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA Swordfish 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Ryzen 7 5800x ($450.00)
Total: $1925.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-12 22:17 EDT-0400

A few things: Was looking at several gigabyte motherboards but ultimately the MSI Unify seems to have what I need and is in my price range.

I know the samsung SSD is overpriced...too late, I have it. Was going to go with a WD blue for the 2tb but the adata swordfish is cheaper, is that a good buy? Edit: WD blue is now on sale for prime day, guess I'm getting that.

As of right now I've already purchased an EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA and using the step up program to get a 3080.

For the PSU, the seasonic was in stock yesterday at best buy for $140, seems to have just sold out, will get that or another 850w at around the same price when they're available.

And finally...the case I've also already purchased, was torn between that and the Meshify s2, I like both of them, phanteks was a tad cheaper

forhorglingrads fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 13, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Bark! A Vagrant posted:

Gonna be hard to fit a half-decent 1440p card in there at 1000 dollars. Even cutting back to a 3700X only nets you a hundred dollars or so in savings.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I'm sure it's been asked half a dozen times by now but I'm gaming at 1440p 144hz and will end up with a 3080 in a few months once I work my way through the step up queue.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what CPU to pair with it. I'm on a 6600k just now which is getting long in the tooth but have gotten the impression the new AMD chips are overpriced.

I can get a 8 core 3700x for £276.89, while the new 8 core 5800x is looking to be about £428.99 which kind of feels over expensive to me.

Is a 3700x a good enough choice to twin with the card, or should I look at a 3900x or something? (Edit, though the 3900x is £397 which is near enough to the 5800 price to be a bad idea I guess lol)

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 13, 2020

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Are there any factors to consider when purchasing a new motherboard? It seems like they're all packed with tons of stuff I just don't need. I don't need onboard audio, wifi, RGB LED controls, bluetooth-- I just want m.2 slots, something for my gpu, fast SATA ports, 4 RAM slots, automatic overclocking in the BIOS, and PWM fan connectors.

But is a $150 board without these unwanted features the same quality-wise as a $150 with these features? What am I paying for between brands and models? :psyduck:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

This guide has a shitload of information and it's overwhelming--

Like what do these things mean?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Rookoo posted:

I'm sure it's been asked half a dozen times by now but I'm gaming at 1440p 144hz and will end up with a 3080 in a few months once I work my way through the step up queue.

I'm having trouble figuring out exactly what CPU to pair with it. I'm on a 6600k just now which is getting long in the tooth but have gotten the impression the new AMD chips are overpriced.

I can get a 8 core 3700x for £276.89, while the new 8 core 5800x is looking to be about £428.99 which kind of feels over expensive to me.

Is a 3700x a good enough choice to twin with the card, or should I look at a 3900x or something? (Edit, though the 3900x is £397 which is near enough to the 5800 price to be a bad idea I guess lol)

Id honestly see how the 6600 performs when you get the 3080 before upgrading. It might last a little longer and get you another year or so. Especially if you can push some OC on it. At 1440 outside of specific games you shouldn’t be too cpu bound. My 7700k with no OC hasn’t bound me in really anything yet.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Knot My President! posted:

Are there any factors to consider when purchasing a new motherboard? It seems like they're all packed with tons of stuff I just don't need. I don't need onboard audio, wifi, RGB LED controls, bluetooth-- I just want m.2 slots, something for my gpu, fast SATA ports, 4 RAM slots, automatic overclocking in the BIOS, and PWM fan connectors.

But is a $150 board without these unwanted features the same quality-wise as a $150 with these features? What am I paying for between brands and models? :psyduck:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Jfc that guide is atrocious. Please don’t use it.

I mean really. Who the hell needs a guide to choose between a $1000 board and a $150 one.

Go to PCpartpicker, go to MB, and fill all the poo poo in the filter. Your list will be much smaller.

Report back here with the stuff you need based on the filters and someone will help you pick something that’s well rated.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Knot My President! posted:

I'd say just input that into PCPartsPicker and then choose a brand you like:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=33&c=145,138&h=1,8&K=4,13&E=2,5&X=0,15879&sort=-price&N=4,16

Make sure it fits whatever cooler you want to use, but other than that, there should be plenty of options! You may have to check the digital manual for PWM support, but it seems pretty standard on fan headers these days.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Id honestly see how the 6600 performs when you get the 3080 before upgrading. It might last a little longer and get you another year or so. Especially if you can push some OC on it. At 1440 outside of specific games you shouldn’t be too cpu bound. My 7700k with no OC hasn’t bound me in really anything yet.

Yeah I was considering it, however I've seen it mentioned in this thread that the 6600k doesn't have hyper threading, unlike the 7700k, which is apparently important for games nowadays, and the chip itself is about 5 years old now (nearly 1.5 years older than yours, on top of it mines being an i5.)

(Reading up on it actually led me to this site, implying gaming-wise it's about as good for gaming as a cheapo i3-9100F and "Severely bottlenecks a 2070S" https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/AMD-Ryzen-7-3700X/Rating/4043 which sounds like a lot of bullshit to me? Surely someone wouldn't lie on the internet?)

Rookoo fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 13, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'd say just input that into PCPartsPicker and then choose a brand you like:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=33&c=145,138&h=1,8&K=4,13&E=2,5&X=0,15879&sort=-price&N=4,16

Make sure it fits whatever cooler you want to use, but other than that, there should be plenty of options! You may have to check the digital manual for PWM support, but it seems pretty standard on fan headers these days.

Mostly this; the only other thing I'd note is that while the Power stuff from that spreadsheet is completely meaningless mumbo jumbo to you or me, it does mean something. Fortunately, you don't need to know what it means to pick a motherboard based on simple features like number of USB ports, number of m.2 slots, number of fan headers, manufacturer you trust/whose bios you are familiar with and like, colo/aesthetics, and price, and then, before buying it, type that motherboard into google and make sure some nerd didn't say "this board has terrible VRM's and will melt if you try to put a good CPU in it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I am in the U.S., and running a gaming PC. I am tired of uninstalling games every time I want to install something, and I see that 500GB Samsung 860 Pros are on sale on Prime Day for $100, and the 1 TB drives are on sale for $200. Is that just Amazon unloading old storage that looks good and I should buy a 970 instead, or is that a genuinely good deal?

Full specs for my system (I doubt it matters):

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3400 Memory
Case: Corsair - 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Storage Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Storage Drive: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Main monitor: BenQ GW2765HT 27-Inch 2560x1440 IPS Monitor