Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait, what - they changed the way plugs are wired? It's not bLue left, bRown right any more? (Granted, I can't remember the last time I wired a plug.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It's cute that Keir thinks Trump and his supporters would give a gently caress about what he thinks lol

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Red Oktober posted:

Noted gastropub *checks notes* Wetherspoons?

reveal yourself coward

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

Wait, what - they changed the way plugs are wired? It's not bLue left, bRown right any more? (Granted, I can't remember the last time I wired a plug.)
The wiring between plugs and appliances have been brown/blue/stripy for a long time and haven't changed. The internal wiring in your wall and large fixed things like 3 phase motors changed in 2004. It used to be red/yellow/blue live, black neutral, and green (later stripey green/yellow) earth, and is now brown/black/grey live, blue neutral, stripey green/yellow earth.

This leads to a situation where you might, in an industrial installation, or the other side of the consumer units in some converted factory flats, see something powered by a black and a blue wire and not have a clue which way round it is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Continuity RCP posted:

This very thread was advising people to learn to code not long ago

A previous incarnation of this very thread, I mean.

People who enjoy it and have the knack for it, maybe.

The reason it remains a well paid job is that most people just don't, and enrolling the entire cast of the Royal Ballet into coding boot camps isn't going to change that. If it were that easy everyone would already be doing it and programmers would be on minimum wage. Tech companies would love for this to be true which is why they keep pushing it, but it just isn't.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aren't people like Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar and all the others regularly on TV because they have gently caress all else to do and are always available?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Guavanaut posted:

I've got one in my consumer unit. It still doesn't help if you're doing something in one of the many converted factories where they split the 3ph supply between different groups of flats getting one phase and neutral each, and you come across a pair that's blue and black.

Is that new L2 and blue neutral, or old L3 and black neutral? Because they switched both an old live colour to neutral and the old neutral colour to a phase at the same time, you can't tell without checking every single time.

I'd rather they did a 20 year hot pink neutral transition period or something.

Presumably everything is up and running and you can see what is terminated where? Differentiating between a neutral and phase only takes a minute. This would most likely get picked up as a C2 remedial on inspection anyhow. Picking up after lazy installers is a pain but nothing a bit of heatshrink can't fix (or tape if you're also lazy :ssh:)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sure, and a heavily current limited 240V source to earth and a neon screwdriver works if it's not up and running. (Or one of those fancy RF guns but :10bux:)

The far more dangerous effect is that it has created a generation of old men who are absolutely confident that both they are competent electricians and that blue must be live.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Aren't people like Owen Jones and Ash Sarkar and all the others regularly on TV because they have gently caress all else to do and are always available?

I mean, it is in large part their jobs to appear on shows like that. It's kind of a posher version of a zero-hours contract.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Only trust your multimeter
The regs will never help you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

Only trust your multimeter
The regs will never help you
:vince:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Incidentally I remember which is live by someone telling me "it's brown because if you touch it you'll poo poo yourself" which while not really medically accurate is definitely memorable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Incidentally I remember which is live by someone telling me "it's brown because if you touch it you'll poo poo yourself" which while not really medically accurate is definitely memorable.

I do recall an electrician I was seeing once from work touched a live wire (in a hospital installation so non-domestic supply) that he had been 'reliably informed' was non-functional, arced backwards of his ladder and shat himself and had to go home on the tube in lovely trousers (being accustomed to 'going commando').

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Ash Sarkar gets on TV all the time because she's provocative and hot and that equals views for the channel both at the time and via social media clips etc. It's good business for them, and she's smart enough to play it up enough so that she keeps getting invited back while actually saying good things too. The capitalists will sell us the rope to hang them with etc. She's the exact kind of person we need running Labour, because she understands the power of irreverent populism in the same way someone like Trump clearly innately does (whether he consciously does or not who can say), albeit from the left-wing shitposter direction. It's good to see this in journalism, but we really need to start seeing it in politics too.

I genuinely can't even begin to imagine what her DMs look like though, never before have I seen someone provoke such intense seething hatred and so many boners all at the same time, and more often than not in the same people. It must be exhausting.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

keep punching joe posted:

Why would MI5 asset Kier Starmer want to antagonise the American president?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder how many angry granddads ash has killed by a combination of horny and apoplexy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ash Sarkar and the 17th Edition BS7671 Wiring Regulations, united in killing gammons by being brown.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

james bloodworth has a huge hate crush on ash sarkar, it's seedy as hell

also why do people call him MI5 is there actual proof or something

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1315706797567750144?s=19

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

huh i just googled it and there aren't even any links to funny tweets about it (one by him mocking the claim but thats it) altho i've seen plenty of tweets that have done dece numbers. and there's a "some results removed due to data protection law" message or something too. does that mean anything?

minema
May 31, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Ash Sarkar and the 17th Edition BS7671 Wiring Regulations, united in killing gammons by being brown.

Amazing

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's the Covid alert number? Where do we find it? Is it 3.5 still?

as of 21 September it was recommended to be raised to level 4 but I had to dig pretty far back in the Coronavirus announcements to find that on a government website.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1313937052371738624

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Thing is it's never made clear how many of these want to just do away with all restrictions which is just going to lead to 'death room' situations where people are thrown into rooms to die because there aren't enough doctors, and how many want the lockdown scrapped because it's poo poo and we need something better. It's all just lumped under the same banner of 'lockdown bad'. Which is helping some shady people with very bad intentions.

There's a war going on right now. And one side wants 'the new normal' to be one where everything goes back to normal but some people just die a lot more. Oh we didn't make that working class person with comorbidities go into work. He had a choice. He could have lived on the street. We knew we were sleep walking into dystopia but I don't think many of us thought it'd be pandemic based.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 12, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

gh0stpinballa posted:

huh i just googled it and there aren't even any links to funny tweets about it (one by him mocking the claim but thats it) altho i've seen plenty of tweets that have done dece numbers. and there's a "some results removed due to data protection law" message or something too. does that mean anything?

Don't mind me, just making fun of the accusation that I'm a spy when there is strangely little evidence on the internet of any accusations existing.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gh0stpinballa posted:

It's what gets put up when Google get asked to delete things by the security services.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

IIRC this thread goes on about it because he's a member of one of those wanky think tanks that "discuss the future of the world" that are mostly an excuse for posh people to host parties, which means he's actually a MI5 asset with CIA links.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS BBC PARLIAMENT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE PRIME MINISTER.

:five:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

Thing is it's never made clear how many of these want to just do away with all restrictions which is just going to lead to 'death room' situations where people are thrown into rooms to die because there aren't enough doctors, and how many want the lockdown scrapped because it's poo poo and we need something better. It's all just lumped under the same banner of 'lockdown bad'. Which is helping some shady people with very bad intentions.

There's a war going on right now. And one side wants 'the new normal' to be one where everything goes back to normal but some people just die a lot more. Oh we didn't make that working class person with comorbidities go into work. He had a choice. He could have lived on the street. We knew we were sleep walking into dystopia but I don't think many of us thought it'd be pandemic based.

PM on Radio 4 had an MP on saying 'If you made it to be 80 years old you knew the risks of dying when you got that old so really we should just let old people do whatever they want while the reaper swings its scythe.'

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nothingtoseehere posted:

IIRC this thread goes on about it because he's a member of one of those wanky think tanks that "discuss the future of the world" that are mostly an excuse for posh people to host parties, which means he's actually a MI5 asset with CIA links.

- In 2009 Starmer, whilst head of the DPP, proposed a superdatabase of people's data
- In 2010 he refused to convict Simon Harwood, a police officer, of killing Ian Tomlinson
- In 2011 he ran courts all night to convict as many people as possible for rioting. I read somewhere that the Tories were surprised at this, as well as little public backlash for austerity, making them more confident over the years
- In 2012 he said 'there was insufficient evidence to prosecute any individual MI5 or MI6 officers', happening repeatedly
- Starmer met with the head of MI5 for drinks in April 2013
- Just last week he asked his party to abstain on a vote allowing MI5 to commit crimes to pursue intelligence
- He backs the government on pretty much everything and is an obvious spy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gh0stpinballa posted:

Wikipedia posted:

A former member of the Trotskyist group Alliance for Workers' Liberty...wrote for The Spectator's Coffee House blog from 2013 to 2015.

Writing for the Observer, the journalist Nick Cohen described Bloodworth as "the best young leftwing writer Britain has produced in years"

In a later article for UnHerd, Bloodworth criticised left-wing supporters of the government in Venezuela such as Owen Jones for their silence about government repression and economic collapse. Bloodworth wrote: "Just a handful of years ago the Venezuelan government was praised uncritically by much of the Western left. Today it is an embarrassment – every emaciated Venezuelan a testament to the credulity of those who once lauded Hugo Chavez as the leader of a 'progressive, populist government that says no to neo-liberalism'(Owen Jones)." [24]

He also wrote a piece for The Daily Beast in which he repeated the Fox News claim that Cuba sent troops to Syria to help prop up the Assad regime, a claim which was denied by both the Cuban government and White House Press Secretary Joshua Earnest.

James Bloodworth described Roger Scruton's book Fools, Frauds and Firebrands as "an impressively lucid take down of some of the most fashionable left-wing thinkers of the past 50 years".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

roger scrotum

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

people voted for a guy that calls himself Sir? thats messed up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone else calls him sir too, welcome to idiot country.

Calling yourself sir and getting everyone else to go along with it is aspirational.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
"end of October" is the current ever-mobile target; I don't know if anyone can quite take it seriously at this point

it seems likely that the media focus will be on US election coverage at that point however

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

gh0stpinballa posted:

james bloodworth has a huge hate crush on ash sarkar, it's seedy as hell

also why do people call him MI5 is there actual proof or something

its my headcanon, there's no proof because lol
it fits neatly into a nice narrative and everything he says and does ends up reinforcing it so i like to drop it on normies then come back to them a little while and its a brainworm because give it a week and kier will have said black people have to trust the police or whipped to prevent prosecution of the department of statstics for ordering murders or whatever

but MI5 really couldn't have picked a better guy so they were dropping the ball if he isn't their man (which actually imo makes it likely he isn't, since MI5 isn't good at anything other than... spying on labour and lefties hmm), you don't actually have to knowingly be an asset. you just need to be a reliable sort

but he's parachuted into a safe seat out of nowhere in 2015 and starts getting pieces in the guardian calling for him for leadership immediately
then he's instrumental in labours downfall in 2019 and pays off the saboteurs
so he is somebody's creature, whether its just a boring labour faction or something sexier

whether its a conspiracy or not, its hard to argue that kier as leader of labour represents the security state capturing Labour and neutralising the risk of democratic politics

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I mean, Trilateral has folks like Henry Kissinger on the current membership list, Meghan O'Sullivan is the current North American chair, and one of the organisation's founding publications was about rolling back the 'excess of democracy' created by the civil rights movement. They're pretty spooky.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i think intentional or not kier is a massive boon to the state, since his whole thing is "careful now, lets not rock the boat" at probably the most volatile period in modern UK history where the curtain has fallen down and everyone can see its just chaos behind there, kier's thing is to put the curtain back up

its really hard to picture a better leader of labour, coming off the back of the surprise birth and destruction of the british left in labour, to essentially divert all that energy.
since his job was basically state bagholder, saying "this cop is telling the truth" then eating poo poo when evidence comes out theyr lying

now he's back in that role as bagholder, if labour collapses his handlers will be happy and he will be left holding the bag, looking apologetic and saying sorry.
if labour wins, he ensures nobody gets overexcited and does anything

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1315709459210080257?s=20
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1315721666689933312?s=20

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Like he's a big fan of the security services and loves to give them special treatment, but if getting a big boner over something made you a member of it, my life would be alot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1315725297543774208?s=19

So basically they're going to blame local government if/when these measures don't work.