Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Morrow posted:

I'm still waiting for the return of the AzeriLP.

our jews!! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
My first introduction to Paradox games was an LP of CK1 where they were going to play a dynasty until they reached a goal, then switch to a different character. I remember the first they played was the Khazars, switched to someone else, and then after that went looking around and discovered that one of the (pagan) kings they had dethroned back as the Khazars had somehow, without converting, managed to get themselves chosen as the head of a Christian holy order. It died just after that, unfortunately, but it was certainly an introduction to how interesting they could get.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
My first paradox game was Svea Rike 2 or 3, don't remember much about them other than the combat, the mini games and the game over screen. I wish Ck3 had cool crossbow mini games.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
Going even further back, does anyone else remember the Serbia CK1/EU3 rotating succession LP? That was a pretty special thread.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I may have posted this guy before but I love posting him

Who else still has this dumb bust from the worst paradox game?

e: please don't judge the cat hair

That's from Sengoku?

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Pattersong did an LP of Steppe Wolfe, that shambling mess of an Eu3 mod. That was fun

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That was the mod with 4 or 5 different Bulgaria tags right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
IIRC 4 or 5 different tags for almost every country because it wanted to cover all of pre-modernity and modernity. But it was bad at it, so you'd have the USSR fighting Muscovy, the Russian Empire and the Russian Federation.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

old great bulgaria will never die :colbert:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

as a bulgarian state we gain several bonuses

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1yYHVTdViA

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

unite_bg32.desc

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

aqu posted:

Going even further back, does anyone else remember the Serbia CK1/EU3 rotating succession LP? That was a pretty special thread.

I was going to say Our People Were Born of the Sky but then I realized that was the LF Ricky Serbia LP

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I just booted up EUIV for the first time in a few years after having had enough of CK3 for a while and my God. The interface. My eyes bleed. The game is a convoluted mess even without half of the DLC.

In conclusion, where the gently caress is Victoria 3?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kangxi posted:

Pattersong did an LP of Steppe Wolfe, that shambling mess of an Eu3 mod. That was fun

WORLD WAR ESTONIA is the funniest LP moment, when every nation on earth got the event to fight against Estonian independence, except funnily enough the Soviet Union who just let them go peacefully.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

For those interested in such things, an Imperator to CK3 converter has had its first release. It can be found on the Paradox forums and steam workshop.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

eXXon posted:

I just booted up EUIV for the first time in a few years after having had enough of CK3 for a while and my God. The interface. My eyes bleed. The game is a convoluted mess even without half of the DLC.

...See, it's simple! Once you get to Absolutism you can find your absolutism value as well as max absolutism on the government tab. The best way to get absolutism is to harsh treatment revolts on a different submenu in another tab. You can also lower the autonomy which a sane person would do in a macrobuilder. It's called macrobuilder but really its best use is to see who would agree for an alliance.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Vicky 3 and all the tooltips are just “I dunno, click and see what happens, or do t’y, if you dare” and then suddenly there’s a luxury clothes boom while communists and reactionaries battle in the streets

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vicky 3 and all the tooltips are just “I dunno, click and see what happens, or do t’y, if you dare” and then suddenly there’s a luxury clothes boom while communists and reactionaries battle in the streets
People have suggested hidden randomized factors in the economic/political simulation for Vicky 3, and I'm all for it. Really put the player in the shoes of someone trying to guide policy while living in a world that no one can really get a grasp on.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

idhrendur posted:

For those interested in such things, an Imperator to CK3 converter has had its first release. It can be found on the Paradox forums and steam workshop.

Gah. I may have to play imperator again now.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People have suggested hidden randomized factors in the economic/political simulation for Vicky 3, and I'm all for it. Really put the player in the shoes of someone trying to guide policy while living in a world that no one can really get a grasp on.

Isn't that any time period though..?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Honestly one of the funny aspects of Vicky 2 is that basically no information is hidden and still nobody understands it. It's just got so many moving parts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Minenfeld! posted:

Isn't that any time period though..?
I feel like the logic of power was a bit more straight forward in the EU period. True, any given ruler or diplomat wouldn't be able to predict what everyone else would do, but "they'll try to take our poo poo, better make sure our friends can beat up theirs" is not that difficult a concept to grasp. With industrialization, suddenly you have to consider countries rapidly growing more powerful solely through internal development, something you have little ability to prevent, and that industrial development itself causing social changes that directly attack the foundations of your own power. I suppose that poo poo was sorta happening in the EU period too, but the Victoria era is where it's real obvious to anyone that any development can have unintended consequences.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly one of the funny aspects of Vicky 2 is that basically no information is hidden and still nobody understands it. It's just got so many moving parts.
You're not wrong, especially on the economic side of things. The political side of things seems to have a more straight forward relation between cause and effect though. Making that a bit less open to being gamed is really more what I'm after.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Cheshire Cat posted:

look you just click the subsidize project button and economic score go up, whats so hard to understand

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
The greatest achievement of Vic2 was that you can replace half of the mechanics with RNG and no one would notice, everyone would still think it's a very deep simulation. God knows how many bugs are there no one has noticed.

Nowadays Paradox tries to make systems that actually work. Victoria 3 would he hard to make with that approach.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ilitarist posted:

The greatest achievement of Vic2 was that you can replace half of the mechanics with RNG and no one would notice, everyone would still think it's a very deep simulation. God knows how many bugs are there no one has noticed.

Nowadays Paradox tries to make systems that actually work. Victoria 3 would he hard to make with that approach.

how dare you

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ilitarist posted:

Hey, you can't have bugs if you don't have design documentation :goonsay:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You say that, but once you start asking questions about what the numbers actually mean and how they interact and if they actually interact as they say they do, things can quickly fall apart

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Vicky 2 taught me that natural resource production is discretized in US-state-sized regions and that the Great Depression was caused by a crippling rubber shortage after workers at the three plantations in the world all became literate, numerate and unemployed clerks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Vicky has the best simulator of colonialism I’ve ever seen

I had a Persian game that was going great until I got sphered by Russia and was powerless as my economy imploded

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

eXXon posted:

Vicky 2 taught me that natural resource production is discretized in US-state-sized regions and that the Great Depression was caused by a crippling rubber shortage after workers at the three plantations in the world all became literate, numerate and unemployed clerks.
Don't forget that, without enlightened British rulership of India, the entire world would have starved to death.
And also that there would never have been enough steel in the world ever again if China launched into a massive railroad construction drive in the late 19th-century.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My most salient memory of Vicky 2 was how they talked about the game simulation not producing historical colonization results until they read Marx and built the economic system from what they learned

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Vicky 2 is great, You can also do dumb things like forcing a situation where you're buying as much Iron as possible at the start of the game and consequently only you and 2 or 3 other GP's can actually get any Iron for possibly decades, but it'll often enough just break, because the supply will struggle to meet the initial game breaking demand - not to mention Iron Miners will promote or otherwise move out of that job even when Iron is the most valuable commodity on the planet.

Its a China builds railroads situation but from the start of the game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My most salient memory of Vicky 2 was how they talked about the game simulation not producing historical colonization results until they read Marx and built the economic system from what they learned

Wasn't the guy who designed the V2 economy a frothing libertarian?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

The folklore is that the guy who made it was a libertarian/ancap/something along those lines which makes it doubly hilarious that he accidentally made Marxism objectively correct but who the gently caress knows what's true or not about this drat game

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The myth of creation.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
On the 'No CB Podcast' they had Johan on for a Vicky themed episode and when asked about who wrote the Vicky market code he said it was him and another coder, I think Groogy. Im at work so cant listen to it, but theres more tidbits about Vicky 1/2's history and design in the episode.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Communist Zombie posted:

On the 'No CB Podcast' they had Johan on for a Vicky themed episode and when asked about who wrote the Vicky market code he said it was him and another coder, I think Groogy. Im at work so cant listen to it, but theres more tidbits about Vicky 1/2's history and design in the episode.

no it wasn't groogy, groogy had to grapple with some rewrites for the patch that he and wiz did a long time after the game stopped being developed tho

it was some scottish guy that left paradox shortly after v2 came out i believe

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Isn't there some weird Rhodesia apologia in the Vicky 2 country events coding? I seem to recall it vaguely being brought up once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
it was Chris King, he left after Vicky II came out

he was allegedly a big fan of Thatcher