Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

The trouble is that Lucas already made three sequels after ROTJ and it made it pretty difficult to tell an interesting episode VII that is neither a retread of IV or I. The first six movies are cyclical.

Even if this were true they didn't even try and went out of their way to have Rey be from Nottooine in Force Awakens, like did they even try? Not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

the Wachowski brothers
I don't care that you are quoting somebody here. It's ultra hosed up and not cool to misgender/deadgender/etc ever. I usually enjoy your slanted, provocative thoughts but this is disgusting and vile and while it may seem like just a drop, If you haven't noticed, there is an ocean of bubbling fascism and white nationalism out there right now.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 12, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lampsacus posted:

I don't care that you are quoting somebody here. It's ultra hosed up and not cool to misgender/deadgender/etc ever. I usually enjoy your slanted, provocative thoughts but this is disgusting and vile and while it may seem like just a drop, If you haven't noticed, there is an ocean of bubbling fascism and white nationalism out there right now.

Yeah, he is quoting Zizek, calm down. Im pretty sure this quote is quite old too, so probably before the transition

edit: vvv I agree. But I think is a little too much to say he was being "disgusting and vile" because he didint thought about that

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 12, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It might be considered polite to quote as "the Wachowski [sisters]"

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

josh04 posted:

It might be considered polite to quote as "the Wachowski [sisters]"

It's SMG, the guy finds/makes the weirdest opinions out there and posts them constantly. If you all weren't quoting him full-length I wouldn't have to read the craziness. I think a bit of copy-pasta can be excused.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know we all talk (me included) like there was only a binary choice where the only alternative to the protagonists being the underdogs vs a big empire is the reverse. But what if instead they made the sequels have it a contest between relatively equal polities? Set it 100 years after RotJ and have the central conflict be between the Union of Federated Alliances against the Alliance of United Federations that have arisen as the two big players in the post Imperial power vacuum. Have there be "Heroes on both Sides" and the culmination being not a big Star War, but the prevention of a Star War (Of course partly achieved through a kickass space battle and Lightsaber Duel). In the end the heroes achieve victory though unity and not being consumed by past grudges. You show that the lessons of the first 6 films have been learned, that the OT heroes struggles were not in vain, that a unified galactic government that is neither fascist nor decaying NeoLiberalism can arise if people work for it, that there can be a "Galactic Republic" that isn't just the old lovely one with a new coat of paint.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A Rogue Squadron movie and a TIE Fighter movie that both revolve around the same conflict like Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

galagazombie posted:

You know we all talk (me included) like there was only a binary choice where the only alternative to the protagonists being the underdogs vs a big empire is the reverse. But what if instead they made the sequels have it a contest between relatively equal polities? Set it 100 years after RotJ and have the central conflict be between the Union of Federated Alliances against the Alliance of United Federations that have arisen as the two big players in the post Imperial power vacuum. Have there be "Heroes on both Sides" and the culmination being not a big Star War, but the prevention of a Star War (Of course partly achieved through a kickass space battle and Lightsaber Duel).
The problem is that this still deals with actual politics (especially if there's room for "heroes on both sides") which Disney doesn't want to do.

Like, where would they look for inspiration? The US vs. USSR? They're not going to acknowledge anything good about a Soviet analogue. Two different alliances of imperial powers fighting each other? That's the Clone Wars again.

Edit: VVV and after claiming Shinji Ikari isn't trans! A Bad Look.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 12, 2020

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lampsacus posted:

The quote is from 2005, and refers to two films where the directors were (and still are) credited as "brothers". Lana Wachowski didn't come out as trans until around 2008.

I considered editing the quote to say [siblings] or something, but I haven't found any source on how the Wachowskis would like to be credited retroactively for their pre-transition work - and I don't consider it my place to decide that for them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

General Dog posted:

Every first Order member with a face is actively evil. They snarl constantly, they’re menacingly lit, the whole nine yards.

Speaking of this lmao how Hux went out

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

The problem is that this still deals with actual politics (especially if there's room for "heroes on both sides") which Disney doesn't want to do.

Definitely Disney wouldn't want to do it. In fact the more time passes the more it becomes clear that the sequels we got were the only sequels we could have gotten from Disney. It's just fun to argue about what movie we could've gotten if it was made with any artistic vision and which of us in this thread is the one who really understands Star Wars.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The quote is from 2005, and refers to two films where the directors were (and still are) credited as "brothers". Lana Wachowski didn't come out as trans until around 2008.

I considered editing the quote to say [siblings] or something, but I haven't found any source on how the Wachowskis would like to be credited retroactively for their pre-transition work - and I don't consider it my place to decide that for them.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get a sick burn in or w/e, just that my understanding is that that would be perceived as a polite thing to do.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of this lmao how Hux went out

Out of context (which was dumb) that scene ruled

If only they did Maz similar

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Out of context (which was dumb) that scene ruled

If only they did Maz similar

Chewie just cold blows Maz away for stealing from his good friend Leia's corpse, roll credits

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The Hux thing was the only good plot point in the movie

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hux's "I'M THE SPY!" face is amazing

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazing. It's the same as Poe's "somehow Palpatine has returned" face.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... surreptitious

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

josh04 posted:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to get a sick burn in or w/e, just that my understanding is that that would be perceived as a polite thing to do.

Right, no hostility here. It’s just a tricky situation because deadnaming and misgendering are obviously bad, but those terms refer to actions in the present. The directors might have always been nonbinary, but the deaths of their old names and births of their new names are a more recent event. (When I think of ‘deadnaming’, I picture a little tombstone.)

Tying this back to Star Wars again, Lucas makes a point about this stuff in Episode 2 with the character Zam Wessel. Obiwan refers to her as a “changeling”, which is a slur for aliens passing as human - characterizing them as deceitful infiltrators and body-snatchers. As proof of Lucas’ progressive cred, Zam does absolutely no body-snatching or other trickery, so Obiwan is just being a straightforward bigot (as in the later scene where he’s just casually chatting about how droids deserve slavery). When Zam is killed and turns green, that’s basically Obiwan going “I knew it! It was a MAN all along!”

This isn’t just random characterization though; Obiwan’s behaviour provides foreshadowing/explanation for Luke’s assholish refusal to respect Vader’s identity - his insistence on calling him “Anakin”. The reveal of Vader’s ‘human face’ is presented in much the same way as how Zam’s face turns green at her moment of death - so Lucas is kinda unambiguously linking the Jedis’ treatment of Vader to Obiwan’s casual bigotry. Where do we locate the “true” Zam? In how she seemingly lived her life as a woman (even in her private moments), or in the organs uncovered in autopsy?

The ST really hosed up it’s Kylo Ren / Ben Solo dynamic, because it’s literally not until the very end that Ben’s like “oh yeah I was actually a fairly healthy and ethical person all along; Kylo was just the name of my pathology”. Not good drama, really.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Right, no hostility here. It’s just a tricky situation because deadnaming and misgendering are obviously bad, but those terms refer to actions in the present. The directors might have always been nonbinary, but the deaths of their old names and births of their new names are a more recent event. (When I think of ‘deadnaming’, I picture a little tombstone.)

Trans Opinions: They don't identify as non-binary to my knowledge. As far as this discussion, I'd always expect to be referred to with my current name even when discussing events before my transition and that has been the same for most other trans people I know. Like Wikipedia consistently refers to the pair as "The Wachowskis" with a little footnote to indicate if something was a work where they were credited as "The Brothers" since its an encyclopedia.

But those Star Wars. Some of them were really good. Some were really not good.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 13, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tying this back to Star Wars again, Lucas makes a point about this stuff in Episode 2 with the character Zam Wessel. Obiwan refers to her as a “changeling”, which is a slur for aliens passing as human - characterizing them as deceitful infiltrators and body-snatchers. As proof of Lucas’ progressive cred, Zam does absolutely no body-snatching or other trickery, so Obiwan is just being a straightforward bigot (as in the later scene where he’s just casually chatting about how droids deserve slavery). When Zam is killed and turns green, that’s basically Obiwan going “I knew it! It was a MAN all along!”

This isn’t just random characterization though; Obiwan’s behaviour provides foreshadowing/explanation for Luke’s assholish refusal to respect Vader’s identity - his insistence on calling him “Anakin”. The reveal of Vader’s ‘human face’ is presented in much the same way as how Zam’s face turns green at her moment of death - so Lucas is kinda unambiguously linking the Jedis’ treatment of Vader to Obiwan’s casual bigotry. Where do we locate the “true” Zam? In how she seemingly lived her life as a woman (even in her private moments), or in the organs uncovered in autopsy?

The ST really hosed up it’s Kylo Ren / Ben Solo dynamic, because it’s literally not until the very end that Ben’s like “oh yeah I was actually a fairly healthy and ethical person all along; Kylo was just the name of my pathology”. Not good drama, really.

Sort-of related, Noelle Stevenson recently wrote a very good article about her coming out and Zam Wessel is mentionned as one of the chataracters she empathized with and helped her.

https://www.oprahmag.com/life/relationships-love/a34100347/noelle-stevenson-coming-out-story/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shiroc posted:

Trans Opinions: They don't identify as non-binary to my knowledge. As far as this discussion, I'd always expect to be referred to with my current name even when discussing events before my transition and that has been the same for most other trans people I know. Like Wikipedia consistently refers to the pair as "The Wachowskis" with a little footnote to indicate if something was a work where they were credited as "The Brothers" since its an encyclopedia.

I could be unaware of some new development, but they had talked about Cloud Atlas being an expression of their nonbinary identities back when that film came out. But yeah. Star Wars!

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Anakin is the one who calls Zam a changeling, not Obi. This then foreshadows his later killing of the sand people, but its interesting that his calling her this to Obiwan happens right after the very paternalistic talk Obi gives to Anakin, thus making it perhaps A. the transgressive vulgar outburst of a young adult who's just been condescended to or B. symptomatic of Obi (and the Jedi's) approach to ethics, which prioritizes protecting one's lightsaber over not calling someone a tr*nny

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Amazing. It's the same as Poe's "somehow Palpatine has returned" face.

It's the "I can't believe I'm actually saying this out loud" face

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggestBatman posted:

Anakin is the one who calls Zam a changeling, not Obi.

You’re right; I was mixing two points, but the overall issue is the same: Obiwan initially misgenders Zam, then Anakin corrects him by saying saying Zam is a female “changeling”. Then Obiwan says that they need to be “extra careful.” So, they’re both aligned on the use of the slur but Anakin is the slightly more progressive of the two because he’s not calling Zam an ‘extra dangerous man’.

This same dynamic is repeated in Episode 3, when Anakin tells Obiwan to stop being mean to R2 (while Obiwan just borrows random droids owned by the Jedi Order and treats them as disposable).

And this is all really important because Anakin isn’t *just* a fascist goon; he’s aware of injustice in the world but doesn’t really know what to do about it because it conflicts with his cult programming. That’s the sort of thing that’s totally absent in the ST when we talk about Ben Solo’s backstory and motivations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

What's the mobile game scene like a galaxy far far away, ya think

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vinylshadow posted:

It's the "I can't believe I'm actually saying this out loud" face

bracing myself to watch this tonight for the first time since release day. I expect I'm going to be even madder after I'm done because I watched The Last Jedi last night and sooo many wasted opportunities/characters :(

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Vinylshadow posted:

What's the mobile game scene like a galaxy far far away, ya think

But Pikachu isn't even rare in Pokemon Go?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PriorMarcus posted:

But Pikachu isn't even rare in Pokemon Go?

Eh, from what I've played, Pikachu actually kinda is, and doesn't show up often outside of events; and when it does, vanilla Pikachu seems rare compared to the ones wearing hats or balloons.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bilirubin posted:

bracing myself to watch this tonight for the first time since release day. I expect I'm going to be even madder after I'm done because I watched The Last Jedi last night and sooo many wasted opportunities/characters :(

I've seen it 3(!) times and every time I just get sadder

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Why were there horses riding on the hull of that star destroyer? Was that the low point of all 9 movies?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you're an anti-8, the cantino blight sequence might qualify. But maybe even if you are and definitely otherwise, it has to be something from 9

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 14, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ArezouAmin/status/1316139383284785152

That also says that Kylo's the one that burned down Luke's temple, instead of Palpatine Force-Lightning'ing it during the Rise of Kylo Ren comic

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Respect for pablo being blatantly 100% checked out but still collecting paychecks, with no end in sight. An inspiration to us all

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Imagine how different the past five years would've been with Winkie Palpatine at the helm of the Sequel Trilogy though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jewmanji posted:

Why were there horses riding on the hull of that star destroyer? Was that the low point of all 9 movies?
The first thing that comes to mind is the scene where Hux explains a bunch of things to the audience while Snoke sits there.

Edit: What the gently caress is the Korkie Theory and why am I stupid enough to want to know

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 14, 2020

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Edit: What the gently caress is the Korkie Theory and why am I stupid enough to want to know
There's a kid in Clone Wars named Korkie who people think is Obi-Wan's secret Mandalorian son.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewmanji posted:

“Never underestimate a droid!” is absolutely worse.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I really like the concept of people fighting on the hull of a giant spaceship. But the execution was terrible and kept begging the question of why doesn't another ship just shoot them. And, um, horses? Eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

“Never underestimate a droid!” is absolutely worse.

Because of the racism or what