Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
"If you think inequality is bad you would just destroy wealth instead of reappropriate it for social welfare programs" isn't even technically correct it's just stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Interesting that he's super self-aware of his lack of care for his fellow man, but also chooses to maintain a twitter account.

edit: It's totally okay to say whatever you want as long as you preface it with "I'll probably get flack for this" first, right?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

CJacobs posted:

Interesting that he's super self-aware of his lack of care for his fellow man, but also chooses to maintain a twitter account.

edit: It's totally okay to say whatever you want as long as you preface it with "I'll probably get flack for this" first, right?

His emotional intelligence is low. I've known people on the spectrum who worked to grow theirs, but even Carmack's long-term coworkers and friends described him as an alien with bizarre notions of personal boundaries and day to day interactions. I really appreciate the good things he's done for the industry and for the tech sphere at large, but there's a gap in his understanding of the world beyond tech that becomes very apparent when he starts talking like this.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I'll probably get flack for this but there is new Doom Mod Madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCt_C49zjiQ

Also Civvie11 uploaded a new video for patreons and it's Death Wish

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

"If you think inequality is bad you would just destroy wealth instead of reappropriate it for social welfare programs" isn't even technically correct it's just stupid

He isn't saying that. He is saying 'if everyone would be super poor everyone would be equal but still would be a very bad thing, so technically "inequality" isn't 100% objectively bad'. It's so much a theoretical talk of the meaning of a word that it doesn't mean a lot, much less 'if you don't like inequality you would destroy wealth'.
Even he has to know that there are ways to redistribute wealth in the real world.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

CJacobs posted:

For as long as I can remember Carmack had a publicly accessible .plan file for which his Twitter is a modern equivalent.

Anyways, he's just sharing his opinions, some of which aren't great and many of those for which he's called out. It would be better if he was more empathetic and more educated on social issues, sure, but there's some value in the discourse itself. Seeing someone you respect as a "smart guy" get smacked for not-well-thought-out opinions is its own experience.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

repiv posted:

the funny thing is he totally bungled his last few iterations of id tech, and it was the new team of ex-crytek people who brought it back to relevance

megatexture was a mistake

'last few' is too many, imo he only failed with Rage. Megatextures were a hilarious mistake.
My pet theory is that he finally got bored of doing 3d engines, and unconsciously or not, he went into a more unique direction with MT because of that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Turin Turambar posted:

Even he has to know that there are ways to redistribute wealth in the real world.

He literally says "If you truly think so you would consider us better off if the wealth of the rich were simply destroyed. Not spent on your favored causes, but just removed from the world."

site fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 12, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

site posted:

He literally says "If you truly think so you would consider us better off if the wealth of the rich were simply destroyed. Not spent on your favored causes, but just removed from the world."

You are right, I misread. It's a pretty stupid thing to say, Robo-Carmack should see how objectively you diminish the inequality faster if you donate or whatever instead of destroying the wealth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Turin Turambar posted:

My pet theory is that he finally got bored of doing 3d engines, and unconsciously or not, he went into a more unique direction with MT because of that.

I'm pretty sure what happened was that, like someone mentioned earlier, the id toolchain had gotten so bad that it was borderline unusable, especially to third parties, and they were feeling the pressure from Epic and others whose engines came with mature, documented, accessible editors. idtech 5 was an attempt to orient an engine around easy and efficient content creation, which is why the pitch was that artists could do whatever they wanted and let the toolchain sort it out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s amazing how such a brilliant programmer can be such a loving moron too. I knew he was libertarian but yeesh.

I'll never get used to people being really smart about one thing but then absolutely loving stupid to an insane degree about very basic things.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

I'm pretty sure what happened was that, like someone mentioned earlier, the id toolchain had gotten so bad that it was borderline unusable, especially to third parties, and they were feeling the pressure from Epic and others whose engines came with mature, documented, accessible editors. idtech 5 was an attempt to orient an engine around easy and efficient content creation, which is why the pitch was that artists could do whatever they wanted and let the toolchain sort it out.

Which it was a good idea, it was actually insightful of him (unlike his socio-economic ideas, heh) to focus on the artist figure, more than in the pure tech. I think the most visually striking games at this point are the ones with the best artists (and the artists that had more time, better tools, better toolchain to not waste time, etc), it isn't like in the old times where the engine itself decided it.
But the rest failed. The toolchain also had problems from what I heard, it needed super beefy clusters in the backend, the idea didn't work well as it required too much storage and the final result wasn't that superior to traditional techniques, the real time loading was too visible, etc.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
On the other hand how many home runs in a row had the guy hit at that point? Keen, Wolf3D, idTech 1, Quake, idTech 2, 3, and arguably 4? Picking a path that ended up being a dead end was bound to happen eventually.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

I want this dating sim

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Arcane Dimensions 1.8 is out!

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/ad.htm

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For people who want to load the new maps directly:

quote:

v1.8+ Maps
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* ad_akalakha - Ak-Alakha (Andrey Saenko)
* ad_grendel - Grendels' Blade (Simon OCallaghan)
* ad_scastle - Nyarlathoteps Sand Castle (Simon OCallaghan)
* ad_tears - Tears of the False God (Benoit Stordeur)

Remix Maps
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* ad_dm5 - The Mire (Noel Lacaillade)
* ad_e1m1 - Hangar 16 (Sean Campbell)
* ad_e2m2 - Ogre Bastille (Simon OCallaghan)
* ad_e2m7 - The Underearth (Eric Wasylishen)

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
So. Pretty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I watched Civvie's video on Heretic. I've only played the first couple of levels of Heretic, and I didn't know that much about it, so seeing how some of the powerups seems improved over the Doom variants, and how none of the enemy attacks are hitscan was interesting. That said, I think he also touches on one of the reasons why Heretic has never really held my interest; that being that the game seems like it can be a slog with a high number of bullet-sponge enemies.

As someone mentioned, his next video is going to be on the Death Wish mod for Blood, which pisses me off because I still haven't played Death Wish yet, and now I feel like I should play the mod first before I watch it.

That also reminds me that I haven't played Sigil yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Beat episodes 1 and 2 of Wolfenstein 3D. I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. You really have to play more stealthily than in Doom, at least you do on Bring ‘em on! It’s really charming to see their attempts to make things like bathrooms and kitchens in such a limited engine.

Time to take down Mecha Hitler now.:hellyeah:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

heretic absolutely turns into a gigantic pain in the rear end unless you're on like the easiest difficulties. they pack so much egregious poo poo in there.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

I watched Civvie's video on Heretic. I've only played the first couple of levels of Heretic, and I didn't know that much about it, so seeing how some of the powerups seems improved over the Doom variants, and how none of the enemy attacks are hitscan was interesting. That said, I think he also touches on one of the reasons why Heretic has never really held my interest; that being that the game seems like it can be a slog with a high number of bullet-sponge enemies.

As someone mentioned, his next video is going to be on the Death Wish mod for Blood, which pisses me off because I still haven't played Death Wish yet, and now I feel like I should play the mod first before I watch it.

I've been playing more of Doom recently (finally got around to actually beating the original game + Thy Flesh Consumed on UV. For some reason I decided the best order to play the games on UV having never done so before would be Plutonia > Doom 2 > Ultimate Doom) and I think an interesting aspect about it and part of the reason why it holds up really well is that a lot of the enemies are actually very fragile. In the original game the only really tanky standard enemies are the Cacodemon and Baron. Everything else dies in 3 shotgun blasts, tops (and with the zombies you can sometimes get a few of them with one shot). Doom 2 introduced more tough enemies, but also balances it out with the SSG. So the pacing to the combat is so much faster and it means that prolonged fights tend to be more about massive hordes of relatively easy to kill enemies vs. one really big one. You always feel like your attacks are consequential because basically every shot means that something dies.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I have very fond memories of Heretic but yeah I was of course playing on the easy settings as a kid. The warfarer's tomb mod seems like a good way to revisit it since it has a pretty light touch but generally buffs up the weapons a bit and most importantly replaces the firemace completely with an actually good weapon.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Beat episodes 1 and 2 of Wolfenstein 3D. I’m enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. You really have to play more stealthily than in Doom, at least you do on Bring ‘em on! It’s really charming to see their attempts to make things like bathrooms and kitchens in such a limited engine.

Time to take down Mecha Hitler now.:hellyeah:

Are you planning on doing all the other episodes? Apart from the Nocturnal Missions (Episodes 4/5/6), there's also Spear of Destiny and the two mission packs for it (Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge).

Johnny Joestar posted:

heretic absolutely turns into a gigantic pain in the rear end unless you're on like the easiest difficulties. they pack so much egregious poo poo in there.

I don't plan on playing on the super-high difficulties. I think I started a Heretic playthrough on the lower/moderate skills, but I can't remember which it was.

MMF Freeway posted:

I have very fond memories of Heretic but yeah I was of course playing on the easy settings as a kid. The warfarer's tomb mod seems like a good way to revisit it since it has a pretty light touch but generally buffs up the weapons a bit and most importantly replaces the firemace completely with an actually good weapon.

While I was watching the video, I was wondering how the game might play with tweaked enemy health values or something. I'll have to check it out.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i have a huge soft spot for heretic and i really think it comes into its own on Black Plague (its Nightmare analogue). i think that's when enemies are deadly enough that you're actually forced to use your whole arsenal and all the items you pick up, instead of just mindlessly plinking everything down with the crossbow. the fact that nothing is hitscan and everything moves so fast, projectiles included, makes it a very different experience from Doom and personally I think it's very fun

disclaimer: I love heretic enough that i cleared it on black plague, wand start (pistol start but also clearing out your inventory every level) and no mid-level saves, which is one of the hardest gaming experiences i've ever managed

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You may have a problem, sir ma'am.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 13, 2020

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Serephina posted:

You may have a problem, sir.

ma'am

and i just like doing challenge runs :shobon:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on.

Max Wilco posted:

While I was watching the video, I was wondering how the game might play with tweaked enemy health values or something. I'll have to check it out.

I find that's pretty fun. gzDoom makes it pretty easy with custom skill settings via zmapinfo txt files and whatnot. For me the level design is what rocks, and I'm playing on a controller etc, let's just give me some more ammo pick-up and enemies a bit less health, why not. And maybe give my Heretic guy a cool little goatee.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Max Wilco posted:

Are you planning on doing all the other episodes? Apart from the Nocturnal Missions (Episodes 4/5/6), there's also Spear of Destiny and the two mission packs for it (Return to Danger and Ultimate Challenge).

Not immediately but I do plan on checking them out if the level design isn’t total bullshit. So far I find it to be good to decent with the mapping features of ECWolf.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not immediately but I do plan on checking them out if the level design isn’t total bullshit. So far I find it to be good to decent with the mapping features of ECWolf.

I know I went through a lot (if not all) of the Wolf3D/Spear of Destiny stuff. I think the mission packs for Spear of Destiny is where I really started getting lost, and I had to start referring to maps in order to figure out where to go.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Brief heads-up: The new Arcane Dimensions release is bugged. Look out for a hotfix tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/SimsOCallaghan/status/1315784860766666752

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Lost Souls are absurdly tanky.

Well, no, obviously they aren't, but they should go pop with a single shotgun shell and I feel personally wronged that you have to shoot them any more than that. Also they're really into Stalin for some reason?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Lost Souls are absurdly tanky.

Well, no, obviously they aren't, but they should go pop with a single shotgun shell and I feel personally wronged that you have to shoot them any more than that. Also they're really into Stalin for some reason?

Yeah I guess the thinking on lost souls is that because they're melee enemies, they need to be able to tank a hit or two otherwise it would be way too easy to never get hit by them, but it does feel weird how tough they are for their size.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should take bonus damage when you shoot them while charging, thats pretty much all they need

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Barudak posted:

They should take bonus damage when you shoot them while charging, thats pretty much all they need

This would be a great change honestly.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I always felt that the Vore would be dramatically improved if it was tweaked into basically being a new take on the Pain Elemental instead of a Revenant. Have the spikeballs be their own entities with AI that would pursue the player, but also with their own health value and hitbox (I realize that Quake's gigantic cube hitboxes may be a real problem here). Have the fight be split between shooting down the spikeballs and damaging the creature itself. Or use them as pseudo-barrels to damage other foes and have them infight the Vore.

Then make it 300 feet tall and give each spikeball Shambler levels of HP. SANDY!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I watched a YouTube of the Xbox-"exclusive" E1M10 and man what a shitshow :downs:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:prepop:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I watched a YouTube of the Xbox-"exclusive" E1M10 and man what a shitshow :downs:

:eyepoop:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I love Heretic more than I do Doom 1 and 2 although I didn't play it on the nightmare equivalent where everything is faster/more ammo. The thing is the level design is consistently better than Doom's in almost every way so even though enemies take a pounding there's always something interesting for the player to consider beyond the battle dance of navigating enemies which is also more interesting because the lack of hitscanners makes the game about physically dodging although playing on nightmare makes that tough when projectiles are faster.

It really goes to show how good level design changes up the game. Doom 2 was a slog for me, most of the levels are just plain boring. Plutonia on the other hand makes the levels smaller and more intricate so even though it's just Doom 2.1 the actual game is far more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Why?