Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ChubbyChecker posted:

oh its anime :yikes:

Like, yes, Cowboy Bebop is technically anime, but it's not anime.

My wife still occasionally calls Welsh Corgis "Ein dogs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell are the two series that people who hate anime don't hate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I haven't even watched Ghost in the Shell :smug:

e: I don't actually have anything against it, that just seemed like the kind of thing that would call for smugness

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
GitS makes the bold assumption that in the future we'll happily give computers direct access to our brains and that they'll be as secure as IoT is today. And that societal control will be enacted by the fact that everyone is connected via a network and opinion can be manipulated by just faking hundreds of thousands of participants.

You know, wild scifi.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Cowboy Bebop is way easier to consume than GitS.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Beachcomber posted:

Cowboy Bebop is way easier to consume than GitS.

Stand Alone Complex predicted that under the right banner - anyone can be a terrorist

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Cowboy Bebop is great except for Ed-heavy episodes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cowboy Bebop is why I gave anime a chance. Most of it isn't so good, most of nothing is. Little is as good, but there's quality stuff out there. Tank! is independently good.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

LIQUID SLAM!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Some Goon posted:

Cowboy Bebop is why I gave anime a chance. Most of it isn't so good, most of nothing is. Little is as good, but there's quality stuff out there. Tank! is independently good.

Are you suggesting that 95% of EVERYTHING is crap?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ikanreed posted:

I haven't had a meal not including hot peppers in I don't remember how long.

Also lockdown means I get to eat prunes again. I love prunes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ikanreed posted:

Huge if true. Wonder what it says about folks who go out of their way to poo poo on anime specifically :thunk:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Captain Monkey posted:

Cowboy Bebop is great except for Ed-heavy episodes.

I will not have Mushroom Samba slandered in this way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cowboy Bebop isn't anime, because it's good.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

:same: minus the first panel

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Antigravitas posted:

Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell are the two series that people who hate anime don't hate.

trap sprung about how old i am but i think legends of galatic heroes the original deserves a slot in there.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Some Goon posted:

Anything that opens with hard bop tends to be insanely good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

From Savage Dragon issue 252, every page was an homage to different comic strips.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

snergle posted:

trap sprung about how old i am but i think legends of galatic heroes the original deserves a slot in there.

I used to be a massive anime nerd when i was a teen/young adult, watched hundreds of shows all over the scale of good/crap.

Legend of the galactic heroes is the only anime i still feel like putting on now and then, just to watch a few favorite episodes.

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monster is a fuckin great mystery that just happens to be animated in Japan and absolutely deserves a watch (or read)

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Like with any medium, there are a few really outstanding anime shows and films. Then there's a fair about of stuff that's just good, a lot of passable stuff, and a huge amount of rancid garbage. Think of it like a pyramid of quality, if you want.

All of it is blood, though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Woebin posted:

Like with any medium, there are a few really outstanding anime shows and films. Then there's a fair about of stuff that's just good, a lot of passable stuff, and a huge amount of rancid garbage. Think of it like a pyramid of quality, if you want.

All of it is blood, though.

No you see it's bad because it's a cartoon from another country. It's not like good American media like *checks notes* reality tv

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Woebin posted:

alternatively: "90% of everything is crap" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

minato posted:

alternatively: "90% of everything is crap" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

Hence 110% of crap is everything.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Rust Martialis posted:

Hence 110% of crap is everything.

Closer to 111% actually.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

minato posted:

Ironically coined in defense of a marginalized and much maligned nerd hobby.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

ImpAtom posted:

Monster is a fuckin great mystery that just happens to be animated in Japan and absolutely deserves a watch (or read)

Monster is criminally underrated. Your description is very much on point.

I'd also add Planetes and Beck as good "shows animated in japan that aren't anime".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

ImpAtom posted:

I have not seen the animated version of Monster, but I read the manga a decade ago and it was great. The pacing especially was excellent and I rarely finished a chapter without instantly wanting to read the next one. It made me realize how pisspoor series that release on weekly schedule were/are.

It also has one of the most :unsmith: characters ever.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

sinburger posted:

Monster is criminally underrated. Your description is very much on point.

I'd also add Planetes and Beck as good "shows animated in japan that aren't anime".

I got suckered in to watching planetes by this kinda talk but in the end it’s still the story of an obnoxious teenage girl who becomes an astronaut and loudly announces that she’s single to a room full of men for no reason.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Len posted:

No you see it's bad because it's a cartoon from another country. It's not like good American media like *checks notes* reality tv

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

LibCrusher posted:

I got suckered in to watching planetes by this kinda talk but in the end it’s still the story of an obnoxious teenage girl who becomes an astronaut and loudly announces that she’s single to a room full of men for no reason.

there is a reason

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

You had me going until Franxx

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Oct 13, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Speaking of Satoshi Kon, the Paranoia Agent blu-ray drops in the US today

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

I actually have this one posted up in the office of the academic library I work at.

gently caress it, let's have some Nedroid.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

Hey everyone! I don't wanna yell at anyone while I'm all tired and about to lay down for bed, so now I'm rested and ready to type. My guess is that all of you pretty much think I don't spend any time thinking about the kind of probations I hand out, but I really actually really really do. I've been your moderator for about 22 months now, and this entire time I've been working on this post I'm posting right now, sort of like a state of the address or something, or like a supreme court opinion on adtrw. Anyway, onto the meat of the matter, I feel that alot of you are being too hard on Japan, the writing doesn't deserve the constant derision it receives because it's not terrible, it's just mediocre. If you're being too hard on shows for being just medocore then you're sort of going to be driving away our main clientele, which as a moderator is my top priority to protect. I know tokyo ghoul or tomo-chan or franxx or whatever is mediocre to all of you but people coming here from crunchyroll and reddit are not going to enjoy a wall of "It's terrible" if they're here to discuss their new favorite anime or manga. On the point of being too hard on japan, all of you know that japan has been through alot in the past century, and if satoshi kon's work is any indication into the goings on inside japan and specifically the anime industry, then japan was pretty much like a sea of porcupines before the 2011 tsunami. I see such a dramatic change in the soul of anime because of the tsunami and I feel that kill la kill was an embodiement of that change. Love hina was filled with hope and ambition and stayed focused around those themes well into negima, but now anime is so filled with anger, and I think all of you need to relax a little with the negativity towards what is an isolated island nation trying to reach out to the world just because you thought their writing was lackluster. They were just annilihated by the most powerful tsunami we've ever seen and there wasn't a country in the world 1/10th as prepared for tsunamis as japan was, and then a nuclear meltdown followed and it's like an infected wound in the soul of japan. There is hope in anime still, but it's a nation in mourning, and in recovery, so just take it easy. There doesn't need to be a massive ban storm for you guys to get the picture because I know how much smarter all of you are than the rest of the forums and as an aside if you hadn't realized it yet, I'm not going to be flinging insults at anyone, ever, it's not who I want to be.

Eh? What is happening? Why is ADTRW happening outside. More over what does the Tsunami changing the soul of anime have to do with comics?

Wait I'm on mobile, has the thread been moved to ADTRW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aramoro posted:

Eh? What is happening? Why is ADTRW happening outside. More over what does the Tsunami changing the soul of anime have to do with comics?

Wait I'm on mobile, has the thread been moved to ADTRW?

It's a copy/paste from one of the actual ADTRW mods.