Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

E: Posted mea culpa already.

https://twitter.com/AndyPierrotti/status/1315679588693966849?s=20

Kinda flies in the face of "pictures of long lines will discourage people!"
Wonder how many ballots have been returned in Georgia. My cool hippie uncle lives down in Marietta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

Mea culpa, I didn't click link

he says what his evidence is in the tweet, you didn't even need to click it

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Turns out that not liking Donald Trump is not a controversial opinion.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao, as usual, the reveal never warrants the earlier "knock knock" tweet

A 6 point shift over a two week period is pretty significant though.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Yeah, there's been significant improvement in his favorables starting with the first debate. Regardless of Biden's qualities as a person or the ideology he represents, people want a president who "looks and acts presidential" and Biden cleared that bar while Trump immolated it.

Fame Douglas posted:

lmao, as usual, the reveal never warrants the earlier "knock knock" tweet
Nah, saying that even the Trump-leaning pollsters are starting to show Biden +9 is the type of thing that will freak out the GOP and WH. Their safety blanket is being taken away.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 12, 2020

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Murgos posted:

Turns out that not liking Donald Trump is not a controversial opinion.

That's not what Enten is saying. The smaller number is Biden's unfavorability, not Trump's favorability. The argument being presented is that Biden is actually what the voters want, not that they're settling for him to get rid of Trump.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Nah, saying that even the Trump-leaning pollsters are starting to show Biden +9 is the type of thing that will freak out the GOP and WH. Their safety blanket is being taken away.

True, but have you considered the fact that

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1315668059751931904

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1315701435393355776

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also even if you like anecdotal stuff, how much legit anti-Biden merch have you seen? Anti-Biden signs?

It also makes sense in that from 2009 onward, Biden's favorables have always been higher than Obama's among Ds and Rs. Biden is generically popular.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Eminai posted:

That's not what Enten is saying. The smaller number is Biden's unfavorability, not Trump's favorability. The argument being presented is that Biden is actually what the voters want, not that they're settling for him to get rid of Trump.

Someone got in between but I was actually referring to the image of people waiting in line to vote in GA, 'as though their lives depended on it.'

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, there's been significant improvement in his favorables starting with the first debate. Regardless of Biden's qualities as a person or the ideology he represents, people want a president who "looks and acts presidential" and Biden cleared that bar while Trump immolated it.

the reality is that biden has always been broadly well-liked. there's a contingent of people who view him as the devil because of the primary and continue to do so, but those were always a very small (though vocal)minority: for the vast majority of people he has always been affable and well liked on both sides of the isle. not loved, but liked. it's why the attempts by both the bernie wing and the trump campaign to tar him just sort of bounced off. and remember, one big reason bernie didn't go hard against biden? bernie sanders personally likes joe biden a lot.

it went down for a time among democrats because of the primary, but people have gotten over that. it went down a time on the right, because he hadn't been seen much so he got put back in the "generic democrat" that most republicans dislike. but as he's been out on the campaign trail he has been reminding tons of people that while they may not love him, they don't hate him and they kind of like him.

it has been a tremendous advantage that no matter what trump does he just plain cannot get his base mad at biden. he's reprising the greatest hits of 2016 not (just) because his brain is cheese, but because trying to convince his base they're sticking it to hillary again is really the only way he can get them even vaguely enraged (and it's not going all that well)

i think people confuse loving a candidate - nobody is walking through broken glass to vote for biden, compared to the way they'd vote for obama or bernie - with liking them. people like biden. they don't love him, but they like him. he will not personally drive absurd turnout just to vote for him in the way Obama could get people to vote for him, but he will be well liked enough to make people voting against trump (which they will walk through broken glass to do) also relatively happy to vote for him, and make it hard to demonize him.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 12, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Even Christie, when talking to colbert, led with "I like Joe Biden a lot" before going on to the party apparatus as his issue with Dems.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pick posted:

Also even if you like anecdotal stuff, how much legit anti-Biden merch have you seen? Anti-Biden signs?

It also makes sense in that from 2009 onward, Biden's favorables have always been higher than Obama's among Ds and Rs. Biden is generically popular.

Being an old white man helps. Unfortunately, being female, having dark skin, and/or being an immigrant triggers some primitive and tribal instinctive poo poo in voters that can be overcome, but its there and has to be overcome.

It is extremely easy to predict what ugly connotations the RW hate propaganda is going to have when a new Dem nationally emerges and I give you only their race, gender, and ethnicity. Its more challenging to stir up crazy hate against a boring old white guy.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Pick posted:

It's actually been pretty telling how little Trump and the Republicans in general have gone after him (beyond the generic "sleepy Joe" jab), or to try to turn him into some anti-American boogeyman like they did with Obama. They best they can do is to suggest that Bernie and Kamala will secretly be running things, like even in the feverish, paranoid depths of the Republican psyche they know that a Biden presidency in itself wouldn't be scary to anyone. That's why they keep dredging up Hillary from time to time: I just really don't think they know how to attack him in a way that's likely to stick with voters.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blurred posted:

It's actually been pretty telling how little Trump and the Republicans in general have gone after him (beyond the generic "sleepy Joe" jab), or to try to turn him into some anti-American boogeyman like they did with Obama. They best they can do is to suggest that Bernie and Kamala will secretly be running things, like even in the feverish, paranoid depths of the Republican psyche they know that a Biden presidency in itself wouldn't be scary to anyone. That's why they keep dredging up Hillary from time to time: I just really don't think they know how to attack him in a way that's likely to stick with voters.

I mean, they've gone after him a lot. It has just all failed miserably, to the extent they stopped trying.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that's true, and even as someone who complains about racism and sexism in politics a lot, though, I think Biden is likable even by white dude standards. He's more likable than Kaine or Hickenlooper even and they're... fine!

If anything Biden's rep to beat was always that he was a dope and no one really gets furious over that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pick posted:

I saw a "No To JOE and the HOE" sign in rural Illinois.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

brugroffil posted:

I saw a "No To JOE and the HOE" sign in rural Illinois.

I mean even that tbh seems to be indicative that the problem they see is Harris.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

evilweasel posted:

I mean, they've gone after him a lot. It has just all failed miserably, to the extent they stopped trying.

The senile thing was pretty dumb, because all he had to do was show up on tv and be fine, which he did. Especially contrasted with Trump being a loving maniac

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Pick posted:

I mean even that tbh seems to be indicative that the problem they see is Harris.

shocked that trumpists would zero in on the sexism against a non-white woman

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/patrynard/status/1315716758465130496

lots to unbox here, but very good for dems in every regard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guze posted:

The senile thing was pretty dumb, because all he had to do was show up on tv and be fine, which he did. Especially contrasted with Trump being a loving maniac

I actually do think it made a little bit more sense in January. I do actually think that Biden has gotten a bit sharper, but I don't think it has anything to do with his inherent mental capacity.

I think in early 2020, it kind of looked like whoever ran would probably be a sacrificial lamb. I think Trump had tremendously high odds of being reelected before the pandemic. So in that case, I think we would have an old Joe Biden, kind of wondering whether he even wants to be the candidate. He's wanted to be president his whole life, he has gotten extremely close in being veep, and with America on the line do you fail? Ended up like Hillary, largely hated as people try to forget you even existed? And the campaign trail is going to be rough, you're kind of famous for losing your temper when you have to deal with people face-to-face, if you think you'll probably have to because that's what Trump does with his rallies....

I think the reason that he sounds better is literally just because he feels better.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

VitalSigns posted:

It's basically the same playbook they ran against Bernie.

Remember months of smearing Bernie as a racesexist old WHITE MAN, his erstwhile ally Elizabeth Warren accusing him of privately making sexist remarks at her, Chris Matthews bawling on air when he won Nevada saying that Sanders was going to carry out mass executions in central park, half of the pre-SC debate spent tying him to Boomer boogeyman Fidel Castro, the other debates bringing up tweets from randos and demanding Sanders alone answer for people being rude online, and on and on and on. That poo poo works.

They shamelessly tried calling Bernie an anti-semite too.

Rupert Murdoch having a stranglehold on the British media didn’t help a bit.

And whoever helped push the anti-semitism label on Corbyn did an amazing job because I was even hearing horror stories from American Jews about that.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Steve Schale published his thoughts on Florida absentee this morning http://steveschale.squarespace.com/blog/2020/10/12/florida-22-days-out-why-am-i-still-doing-this-to-myself.html It's not very side-cally but worth a read nonetheless

quote:

It is really too early to be fixating on the VBM numbers. Why you ask? Well 2020 is different in every way possible, not the least of which is the rapid changes in how people are choosing to vote. In the past, there was some rhyme or reason to return rates, but this year, the combination of COVID, a coalition of groups on the left working on VBM requests, and Donald Trump setting a torch to Republican confidence in voting by mail has left us in uncharted territory.

So, before we get into the numbers, let’s look some 2016 context.

Raw numbers. In 2016, 3,347,960 Floridians requested a vote by mail ballot throughout the entire general election period. So far, in 2020, 5,582.120 Floridians have requested a ballot – with 22 days to go.

To put a finer point on it: nearly 2,234,160 more Floridians have requested a ballot with 22 days to go than all of 2016.

And here's his Florida 2020 preview: http://steveschale.com/blog/2020/9/14/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-florida-but-were-afraid.html WHich is a really good but long read, I can't remember if I posted it already.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Even before the pandemic Donald Trump was historically unpopular and had pretty high unfavorables. In fact his job approval has remained at remarkably consistent 41-44% despite being the biggest fuckup in presidential history. Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders both regularly polled well against him and had plus favorables of their own. The COVID response isn't doing him any favors but Trump would still be a vulnerable candidate without it, though maybe not by as wide of a margin. I'm sure many books will get written about this exact thing though.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Pick posted:

I think in early 2020, it kind of looked like whoever ran would probably be a sacrificial lamb. I think Trump had tremendously high odds of being reelected before the pandemic. So in that case, I think we would have an old Joe Biden, kind of wondering whether he even wants to be the candidate. He's wanted to be president his whole life, he has gotten extremely close in being veep, and with America on the line do you fail? Ended up like Hillary, largely hated as people try to forget you even existed? And the campaign trail is going to be rough, you're kind of famous for losing your temper when you have to deal with people face-to-face, if you think you'll probably have to because that's what Trump does with his rallies....

This isn't really true at all. Trump has always been extremely unpopular and whoever the Dems ran would have had a better than 50/50 shot of winning even without the Covid clusterfuck. That's the whole reason the primary field was such a ridiculous clown car.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

The idea that we can't compare President Obama or anyone else to a historical figure because that historical figure is flawed, is ridiculous dude.

I think the dude was having problems with the guy being a KKK super-racist.

Not, you know, the idea that he was 'flawed'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, it all comes down to peoples individual perspectives, but frankly I normally think that strong economy incumbent is a done deal.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pick posted:

I mean, it all comes down to peoples individual perspectives, but frankly I normally think that strong economy incumbent is a done deal.

Trump consistently polled well below any democratic challenger even while the economy was great. The only evidence to suggest that he would be favored, let alone strongly favored, was the fact he was an incumbent. There was no polling to suggest that Trump being heavily favored was the case and every expectation that the challenger would be favored, whoever it was.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Rigel posted:

He's supposed to say that its close, and that their numbers look more encouraging than the public polls, but that they should not be complacent and their voters need to get out and vote. No one says "pfft, our opponent doesn't have a chance, this election is over, we will easily win", because it can make your own voters complacent.

Good point, but that’s showing weakness which Trump will never allow. Republicans are saying across the board internal polls in other races are very bad for them, I have no doubt Trump’s are saying the same besides McLaughlin which is OANN in poll form.

Biden and co should be really hitting trump on the paycheck protection program that failed black owned businesses. I’ve seen some talking points about it and he has a plan to help black owned businesses but he should be really hammering away at trumps bullshit about being better for black people than Lincoln.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pick posted:

Biden was almost +4 over Trump at the end of February so, no. EC wise it was probably pretty iffy then but the national popular vote has never been in doubt.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

Biden was almost +4 over Trump at the end of February so, no. EC wise it was probably pretty iffy then but the national popular vote has never been in doubt.

I'm talking EC, sadly the popular vote really doesn't matter.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Trump's approval had been trending up starting in early January. He still has a small but real shot even after a brutally stupid covid response. He'd be favored to win on a world without a pandemic or other equivalently large problem, probably. 50/50 at worst.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If we weren’t going to be hitting the top of the third covid peak literally days before the election I would be nervous.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol if you haven't had anxiety dreams about the vote margin in the tipping point state being down to seven votes, just lmao

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/12/sign-biden-fire-farm/

A farmer made a giant Biden-Harris sign out of hay bales. It was set on fire the next day.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Pick posted:

I'm talking EC, sadly the popular vote really doesn't matter.

I cant find back that far but in early June, the earliest I can find, Biden was ahead +6 in the popular and predicted to win the EC with 323 votes on 538. I don't think the 'anyone running against Trump in February was a dead man walking' is rational given that Biden was already polling well even then.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
If I recall, pretty much the whole time the numbers for whoever was gonna get the nomination seemed good. Bernie and Biden did the best, again, if I remember.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Murgos posted:

I cant find back that far but in early June, the earliest I can find, Biden was ahead +6 in the popular and predicted to win the EC with 323 votes on 538. I don't think the 'anyone running against Trump in February was a dead man walking' is rational given that Biden was already polling well even then.

I didn't say June though, I said January. Pre-pandemic (or before it surpassed expectations). I think the race was radically different before that and no one foresaw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Personal favorables don't mean anyone's going to vote for you. #1/#2 favorables in 2016 were Kasich/Bernie and neither got particularly close. But high favorables make you harder to actually attack when you're competitive.