Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
According to my BeerMenu notification this morning a pub I frequent has Heady Topper and Focal Banger cans. I’m in CT, did Alchemist get distro out here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
had fresh cans of both recently and they are definitely not the beers i remember; HT was bitter enough that multiple people in our tasting panel thought it was a Stone beer (apologies if i shared that already)

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

According to my BeerMenu notification this morning a pub I frequent has Heady Topper and Focal Banger cans. I’m in CT, did Alchemist get distro out here?

I have seen them sporadically hit distro here in CA, I think they're just venturing out bursts of beer to random areas

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MunchE posted:

I have seen them sporadically hit distro here in CA, I think they're just venturing out bursts of beer to random areas

This is probably it. Looks like they did the same in parts of Massachusetts earlier this year.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Don't ask questions. Just buy some when you have a chance. Don't worry about the date that may or may not have been scratched off each can either

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Don't ask questions. Just buy some when you have a chance. Don't worry about the date that may or may not have been scratched off each can either

The pub price is 11 bucks a can lmao

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

had fresh cans of both recently and they are definitely not the beers i remember; HT was bitter enough that multiple people in our tasting panel thought it was a Stone beer (apologies if i shared that already)

This is one of those things where I wonder how much of it is the beer changing (different quality in scaling up? lower quality ingredients?), how much of it is me changing (changing palate, preferences, also just getting old), and how much is the industry changing (baseline idea of a style or substyle shifting as other styles/substyles take prominence).

I really don't think in 2012 I would confuse a Stone IPA and Heady. Today, maybe I would because of any or all of those reasons.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

danbanana posted:

This is one of those things where I wonder how much of it is the beer changing (different quality in scaling up? lower quality ingredients?), how much of it is me changing (changing palate, preferences, also just getting old), and how much is the industry changing (baseline idea of a style or substyle shifting as other styles/substyles take prominence).

I really don't think in 2012 I would confuse a Stone IPA and Heady. Today, maybe I would because of any or all of those reasons.

Had fresh cans of Heady and Focal back in August and I think they're more bitter compared to the typical modern hazy, which to me isn't a negative... and they def get props for not having biley hop burn (unlike the bad modern hazy beers, aka just about all of em)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The pub price is 11 bucks a can lmao

:drat:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bought this a week ago and just getting around to drinking it tonight. No date on it, but the google says it was released in 2016.

It’s a farmhouse ale so age doesn’t seem to have affected it poorly, but got drat it was bubbly, hence my lovely pour technique above. It ain’t bad. It’s a bit malty for a farmhouse but the rye gives it a nice bite to balance it out. 3/5

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

air- posted:

Had fresh cans of Heady and Focal back in August and I think they're more bitter compared to the typical modern hazy, which to me isn't a negative... and they def get props for not having biley hop burn (unlike the bad modern hazy beers, aka just about all of em)

Had Focal a couple of times over the summer and agree. It's still *bitter* unlike a typical NEIPA and has none of the burn) sludge. Far more structure than a typical lazy IPA; even with the fruit flavors it's more crystalline, if that makes sense, in that it has facets and flavors that have starts and ends.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Bought this a week ago and just getting around to drinking it tonight. No date on it, but the google says it was released in 2016.

It’s a farmhouse ale so age doesn’t seem to have affected it poorly, but got drat it was bubbly, hence my lovely pour technique above. It ain’t bad. It’s a bit malty for a farmhouse but the rye gives it a nice bite to balance it out. 3/5

i still can't believe they made ulillillia's book into a beer

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

JohnCompany posted:

Had Focal a couple of times over the summer and agree. It's still *bitter* unlike a typical NEIPA and has none of the burn) sludge. Far more structure than a typical lazy IPA; even with the fruit flavors it's more crystalline, if that makes sense, in that it has facets and flavors that have starts and ends.

I had a couple Julius from Treehouse during the summer, which is their flagship, and I had 2 cans one after the other. The first was on point, the second had oxidized or something and had hop burn. Same canning date, purchased at the same time. NEIPA is a very fickle mistress.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I had a couple Julius from Treehouse during the summer, which is their flagship, and I had 2 cans one after the other. The first was on point, the second had oxidized or something and had hop burn. Same canning date, purchased at the same time. NEIPA is a very fickle mistress.

my TH friend sent me a mixed case a few weeks back and the Julius canned within the last two weeks was really oxidized, and the very fresh Very Green was very bad; just yeast and burning.

i asked in a group that includes that guy and a bunch of others who drink Alchemist regularly and the consensus is that FB and HT have become more bitter over the past few years and are "not what they used to be." i don't drink either with any frequency, but even in my ipa-hatin' days HT never struck me as being bitter, which was one of the main reasons for my hatin' of ipas

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ft George dropped a fresh hop version of their Fields of Green series and it was 4 cans of some of the worst hop burn I've had in a minute. Then pretty much every other beer I picked up on that run was the same, Fieldworks Soon to be a Flagship IPA being one. That was a sad few days in this household so on my next trip I stuck to fresh hop WCIPAs and fresh hop Pils, that was a good few days.

danbanana posted:

I feel like San Diego water always Kool-Aid mans through the flavor to let you know where the beer is from.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I always wonder when we talk about how beers used to be better or whatever, how much of it is like recipe shift due to whatever.....and how much of it is hop variety inconsistencies from year to year.

Like I could swear nearly all Citra IPAs used to be miles and miles better than they are now. And I’ve heard Citra crops have been much shittier in recent years.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Hop processing has changed a lot over the past few years. Brewers also talk about big negative changes in expression, even with new "classics" like Mosaic. Apparently the quality in regions with high demand and growth (NZ) is down too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

funkybottoms posted:

my TH friend sent me a mixed case a few weeks back and the Julius canned within the last two weeks was really oxidized, and the very fresh Very Green was very bad; just yeast and burning.

i asked in a group that includes that guy and a bunch of others who drink Alchemist regularly and the consensus is that FB and HT have become more bitter over the past few years and are "not what they used to be." i don't drink either with any frequency, but even in my ipa-hatin' days HT never struck me as being bitter, which was one of the main reasons for my hatin' of ipas

Very Green is always bad, but right now their newer hazy pales have been real good. Old standard Lights Out had some burn the last time I got it but this year’s Beneficiaries of Chance was an absolutely killer 5% crusher

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe its us, who have changed

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

BIF crosspost:

for anyone who has not participated BIFore, seekabrew.com is a quick and easy way to see what breweries your recipient already has access to. it's not updated as frequently as it used to be, so you can also check the brewery's website or ask the group if you feel that won't ruin the surprise.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

BIF crosspost:

for anyone who has not participated BIFore, seekabrew.com is a quick and easy way to see what breweries your recipient already has access to. it's not updated as frequently as it used to be, so you can also check the brewery's website or ask the group if you feel that won't ruin the surprise.

This site is down. And I'm not sure the last time it was updated. I remember checking it a couple years ago and thinking how out of date it was.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

it was working yesterday, drat.

and, yeah, out of date, but good for bigger craft breweries like FW, Allagash, and CCB

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

BIF crosspost:

Speaking for myself, I prefer to receive stuff that has little to no distro if possible, I want to try stuff from your local brewery nobody outside of your town knows about. No offense to the guy that sent me Boulevard stuff a few years back, but basically the opposite of that.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

Ft George dropped a fresh hop version of their Fields of Green series and it was 4 cans of some of the worst hop burn I've had in a minute.

Yeah I had it on tap and then bought a four pack, it's a totally different beer on tap, much better at least from that particular keg.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dphi posted:

Speaking for myself, I prefer to receive stuff that has little to no distro if possible, I want to try stuff from your local brewery nobody outside of your town knows about. No offense to the guy that sent me Boulevard stuff a few years back, but basically the opposite of that.

I did this last year, but i got cans from a bottle shop aswell. I'm thinking bout going all IN and getting super specific San Diego bullshit that isnt even distrod up north or local stores

:thunk:

highme
May 25, 2001

dphi posted:

I'm hoping to get your name so I can send you beer from all the lovely breweries in the south PDX suburbs.

dphi posted:

Yeah I had it on tap and then bought a four pack, it's a totally different beer on tap, much better at least from that particular keg.

Where did you get it on tap? I grabbed another can last night from New Seasons and it wasn't as bad.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

dphi posted:

yeah, for sure; the box i got from the goon fantasy football league was one brewery-only FW release and five more that i either already had or could easily buy. it met the money threshold and they were good beers, buuuut...

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Who's really gonna have the due diligence to look up where beers are distrod besides a buncha beer nerds like us? Who's gonna know that some of us beer nerds work in the industry and have a pretty knowledgeable sense of what is actually available to them in their city/state?

WE'RE ABOVE THE COMMON MAN. LOOK DOWN AT THEM! BUD LIGHT>!?! PSSSSSSHA!

* buys stella artios *

In interesting news; homeboi of mine has started buying Stone beers! Weird! These are my malt liquor drinking buddies and I know Stone isn't anything to write home about most the time, but still! Cool to see buddies get into some sort of craft beer...i'm sure they'd be down to pound a Imp BA Stout if I tell them it'll get them hosed up in 1 bottle or 2

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

In interesting news; homeboi of mine has started buying Stone beers! Weird! These are my malt liquor drinking buddies and I know Stone isn't anything to write home about most the time, but still! Cool to see buddies get into some sort of craft beer...i'm sure they'd be down to pound a Imp BA Stout if I tell them it'll get them hosed up in 1 bottle or 2

There's certainly a segment of people who got into "craft" beers because they realized that you could regularly find 7%+ beers in those aisles. Many years ago, I watched some dude bros flip the gently caress out over seeing the ABV on Dragon's Milk. I hope those dudes turned into level-headed good-beer drinkers.

They are most certainly Pastry Stout Assholes now :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Dragons Milk still pretty much sells everywhere I place it. Including (and especially) at lovely little convenience stores and drive thrus.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I like to get drunk and I def based my purchase decisions on what will get me all hosed up (i.e 4 loko and those Mad Dogs 20/20) when I was younger. I still like to get drunk! But with gooderer beer :smug:

If you give someone whose been drinking O.E (or similar) for years and tell them this black rear end beer is actually 2x as potent and taste like chocolate coffee and half the size? Or even a sixer of IPA thats 6% or up. More drunkerer for less drink. Win win.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this isn't a justification for me pounding down 12 pbrs in a night tho. I'm just a big guy! I can take more!

*walks into room with somber faced family and friends*

WOAH ! Is covid over?! Can we party again?>!

highme
May 25, 2001

I used to drink way too much Hop Stoopid because it was a cheap bomber and 8.5%.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

dphi posted:

Limited or no distro is usually the way to go for these boxes IMO. Big names are fine, just as long as they're beers that don't make it outside of their city.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
As a bonus, buying directly from the little guys right now is just good vibes all around.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Tried out Left Hand's "The Nitro Abides" white russian stout. I wasn't expecting a blonde stout, and I'm not the biggest fan.

The beer is ok. Lots of sweet-cream flavor. It was better in the can than poured imo.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

dphi posted:

Same but I hope I only get Milds and ESBs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I talked to my local bottle shop guy and he said Alchemist is trying out distro in CT right now and...he had a case each of Heady and Focal in the back cooler, so I got 2 cans of each. I like ‘em. For me it’s the best of both worlds, since I like both West and East Coast IPAs. It’s got the West coast bitterness and East coast haziness without the hop burn.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

highme posted:

Where did you get it on tap? I grabbed another can last night from New Seasons and it wasn't as bad.

Three Mermaids had it, Hop n Cork too - probably gone by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

When did you start drinking in my neighborhood?