Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I'm obviously not educated enough in European history/politics to understand this map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm obviously not educated enough in European history/politics to understand this map.

Highlights that I picked up:
* Nyorsk and Bokmal are the two ways of writing Norwegian. I don't know why they picked one for Denmark though.
* Belorussia is an old name for Belarus; Belowrussia is a better name for Moldova; The ancestral homeland of the Russians was Ukraine, and the Kievan Rus'.
* Romanians live in Rome, obviously.
* "Pais largo" refers to the famous propaganda of "Portugal is a large country"
* "Great Britain" is weirdly the most inaccurate one, since France is the home of Wee Britain, aka Brittany.
* Mauritania is the name of the country south of Morocco; that region, however, was also called Mauretania in Roman times.
* Macedonia, being led by Alexander, is of course where you find Alexandria.
* The Minoans were based on Crete and should rise again with their unholy army of half man, half bull creatures named, of course, Cretotaurs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Golbez posted:

* Nyorsk and Bokmal are the two ways of writing Norwegian. I don't know why they picked one for Denmark though.
* Belorussia is an old name for Belarus; Belowrussia is a better name for Moldova; The ancestral homeland of the Russians was Ukraine, and the Kievan Rus'.
* Romanians live in Rome, obviously.
* "Great Britain" is weirdly the most inaccurate one, since France is the home of Wee Britain, aka Brittany.
* Mauritania is the name of the country south of Morocco; that region, however, was also called Mauretania in Roman times.
* Macedonia, being led by Alexander, is of course where you find Alexandria.
* The Minoans were based on Crete and should rise again with their unholy army of half man, half bull creatures named, of course, Cretotaurs.

Vostok (see Vladivostok!) is russian for east. Belarus and variants literally mean "White Russia," and an archaic word for Ukraine is "Malorus" and variants, which mean "Little Russia." So they're giving current Russia the Ukraine and Belarus treatment.

Also Serbia in this map is "Croatia" but in cyrillic. Or technically "Khrvatska" which is the croatian for Croatia, but in cyrillic.

e: also Romania, a country famous for speaking an isolated romance language, is Slavia

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 9, 2020

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Golbez posted:

Bokmål is basically Danish is the joke I think. In contrast to Nynorsk, which is a nationalist project centered around a more provincial Norwegian.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Serbia in this map is "Croatia" but in cyrillic.
This is also true in real life but Serbian ultranats will fight you if you say it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't get Belgium

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Bokmål is basically Danish is the joke I think. In contrast to Nynorsk, which is a nationalist project centered around a more provincial Norwegian.
Yeah, it's a joke map of some of the stranger/stupider nationalist slapfights, like "Bokmål is secret elitist Danish and not for Norwegians", Turkey's desire to erase pre-Turkic history, Portugal's relative size/width re: colonialism, Alexander of Macedon precise geolocation, Yugoslavian alphabet ultranationalism, Russia-centric naming but also the Kievan Rus, the aggressive Russification of Königsberg/Kaliningrad, and who are the true heirs of Roman-ness, also grand claims about the historical size of historic territory by certain Basque and Breton nationalists, exonyms for Germany, and random poo poo that the Roman Empire called people/places (like Africa being a country).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get Belgium

presumably

Don't ask me why Britain is an 8th century conquest of the franks on this

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

presumably

Don't ask me why Britain is an 8th century conquest of the franks on this

That would make sense, but the map appears to be about slapfights. I have never heard anyone here be particularly resentful towards France or complain about Belgium being considered France or whatever. France is just where we go on holiday. It's yet another map that I will file in my huge, bulking 'maps that make no sense when Belgium is measured as a single entity' folder.

Actually, most Flemings would not even particularly mind Southern Netherlands either, since that is in fact what most of Belgium was called for centuries. Certainly has more historical cred than 'Belgium' itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Somewhat educated Belgians also love to quote Caesar when he said "the Belgians are the bravest of all the tribes", despite the fact that this was (1) a propaganda stunt to claim the Romans were even cooler because they annihilated the Belgians and (2) present-day Belgian people don't descend from the Belgae but the Franks.

So I'm saying that basically Belgium should be called France.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Unlike 'France' most of us actually still speak a (Frankish) Germanic language, so yeah, hand it over

e: also rename yourselves to Southern France at least or we will block your entry into the EU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I do unironically like Dutchland as an English term, because it's far less exonymic while still being one. Definitely better than whatever current-France are doing, and reflects English as being a Dutchlandic language the other side of Frisian.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Solution: whoever can take and hold Aix-la-Chappelle out of Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg, and hypothetical future Catalonia gets to be called Groot-Frankrijk and everyone else has to be (cardinal direction) (France in local language)

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Solution: whoever can take and hold Aix-la-Chappelle out of Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg, and hypothetical future Catalonia gets to be called

Lothringia?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Others I might explain:

* Chaldea: ancient Semitic kingdom, not really related to Syria
* Minoa: the ancient Cretans were known as Minoans, a pre-Greek civilization
* Turkestan: pretty self-explanatory but the region of the Uyghurs is sometimes also called East Turkestan, the present-day Turkish people descend from Central Asian Turkic peoples
* Greece: Constantinopole (present-day Istanbul) used to be here
* Byzantium: what is now Bulgaria used to be part of the Eastern Roman Empire or the Byzantine Empire
* Alexandria: North Macedonia loves claiming Alexander the Great as one of them, though he wasn't, although he may not have been really Greek either
* Macedonia: see above
* Yugoslavia: Montenegro and Kosovo were both part of Yugoslavia but Kosovo is majority-Albanian and Montenegro as a polity likely has the longest continuous historical existence outside of the three instances of Yugoslavia in the 20th century
* Italy: a joke I suppose that Sicilians are sometimes not really considered Italians
* Africa: in the classical sense, Africa was just the name for the Mediterranean seaboard of the continent, not the entire continent
* Germania: the largest subgroup of the Swiss are German-speaking but this region was never considered to be part of ancient 'Germania'
* Orange Free State: a short-lived white settler state in southern Africa whose prime ethnicity considered of Dutch-descended Boers, and 'orange' is the national colour of the Netherlands
* Galicia: often, Germanic peoples named their Celtic neighbours variations of 'walha', stranger, hence names like Galicia, Wales and Wallonia
* Norway: Iceland is 100% true Nordic master race I guess
* Normandy: actual Normandy was named after its conquerors, who were Normans but soon dissolved into the population they conquered (kind of like the Visigoths in Spain or the Burgundians in France)
* Sorbia: the Sorbs are a little-known West Slavic culture that currently lives in the east of Germany
* PRussia: Kaliningrad used to be Königsberg, an important city in East Prussia
* Latvia/Lithuania: get mixed up all the time
* Slovenia: gets mixed up all the time with Slovakia
* Scandinavia: I think this refers to the Estonians desperately wanting to be seen as Scandinavian instead of Eastern European, their claim to it is that their culture and language is related to Finnish but that's kind of odd considering Finland is often not considered properly Scandinavian either
* Sweden: Finland used to be known as East Sweden and still has a Swedish-speaking minority

The only name on the map I don't quite get is 'Götaland', maybe it refers to Roman historians frequently confusing invading peoples like the Huns, Alans, Goths etc. as an amalgamation of the same thing?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Belgium is literally just a bit of the Netherlands that split off because the Netherlands were being mega Protestant.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Solution: whoever can take and hold Aix-la-Chappelle out of Germany, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, Luxembourg, and hypothetical future Catalonia gets to be called Groot-Frankrijk and everyone else has to be (cardinal direction) (France in local language)

How much time do we have

I think we're going to have to cheese the mechanics in our case

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Golbez posted:

It means "wide country"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pope Hilarius II posted:

* Orange Free State: a short-lived white settler state in southern Africa whose prime ethnicity considered of Dutch-descended Boers, and 'orange' is the national colour of the Netherlands
Also it's a state of Dutch people which is independent of Dutchland and headed by the House of Orange.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

The only name on the map I don't quite get is 'Götaland', maybe it refers to Roman historians frequently confusing invading peoples like the Huns, Alans, Goths etc. as an amalgamation of the same thing?
Pretty much, Hungary as an exonym for Magyarország comes from Romans assuming it was the land of the Huns, Götaland is an area in Sweden that gets anglicized as Gothland.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty much, Hungary as an exonym for Magyarország comes from Romans assuming it was the land of the Huns,

This doesn’t sound right so I checked Wikipedia. The name (as Ungroi, Ungarii, etc.) dates to the ninth century and was used to describe the Magyars prior to their conquest and settlement in the Carpathian basin. The addition of the “H” may have come due to associations with the Huns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, that did seem suspect. The reason you had so many different steppe populations descending on that particular area is that it consists mostly of easily accessible, fertile plains surrounding the Danube. A few centuries later, the Hungarians would themselves get invaded by the Mongols.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

King Hong Kong posted:

This doesn’t sound right so I checked Wikipedia. The name (as Ungroi, Ungarii, etc.) dates to the ninth century and was used to describe the Magyars prior to their conquest and settlement in the Carpathian basin. The addition of the “H” may have come due to associations with the Huns.
You're right, it wasn't Romans as in the original Empire, but it is via Medieval Latin.

quote:

Hungaria
From Hungari, Ungari (“Hungarians”). The initial h- appeared under the influence of Hunni (“Huns”), with whom the Hungarians were confused. See Hun.

Hungarian nationalists are obsessed with Hun revisionism though, when they really have as much to do with them as Götaland does with the Goths (maybe). Either way Geatland would be more correct as an exonym for the Götaland region than Gothland, and the people who settled the Carpathians had more to do with Goths than Huns, and nationalist revisionism is dumb.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Magyars (pronounced "Magyars") were lead by Gary, who was "hung". How do you guys not know this :confused:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In his second to last book, John Julius Norwich refers to the "Tartars" with a little footnote that says "I know Tatar is the actual correct way to refer to them, but I've always liked 'Tartar' better, and I'm old as gently caress and don't care anymore."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Tartar's had some solid sauce, I'll give them that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone seen this before? I searched for some random business and I get a convex hull around Massachusetts... :confused:

(sorry, not politically loaded, just a weird Google Maps thing I didn't know where else to share)

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
poo poo, we weren't supposed to let people know about the Great Red Sox Fans Barrier until escape had already been made impossible

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Anyone seen this before? I searched for some random business and I get a convex hull around Massachusetts... :confused:

(sorry, not politically loaded, just a weird Google Maps thing I didn't know where else to share)
That's what they call "Lovecraft Country."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was a Pittsburg park whose boundaries on Google maps extended to Texas because someone misplaced a vertex.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

This is a boring response but it might be the business letting you know what areas they are able to serve.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't know, I've searched a lot of businesses and never seen an area rather than a point. Plus, the fact that it's a perfect convex hull makes me think it's some glitch.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

a pipe smoking dog posted:

This is a boring response but it might be the business letting you know what areas they are able to serve.
You got it. For a convex hull:

For a circle:

I don't know, I've searched a lot of businesses and never seen an area rather than a point. Plus, the fact that it's a perfect convex hull makes me think it's some glitch.

As opposed to a Google Maps listing at a single point:

Riveting stuff, right?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
gently caress to web mercator

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Carbon dioxide posted:

Map of the Netherlands, with all places labeled with their first recorded name in history.

"Aelmere"?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Groda posted:

"Aelmere"?

One of the medieval spellings (the other was just Almere) for a lake/inner sea that's roughly where the IJsselmeer is now, long before the northern part completely opened up and the much larger inner sea started being called Zuiderzee.

Except for Lelystad, which is named after Lely, the guy who came up with the plan for the Afsluitdijk and the polders, all the towns in the artificial province of Flevoland are either named after lakes/rivers that used to be there, or medieval settlements that used to be there before the Zuiderzee grew to its largest size. Remains of those settlements were found on the bottom of the sea when they pumped the water out.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why is IJssel spelled with the double capitals?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Because in Dutch it's basically one letter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, it's a single vowel. I don't know why we have both ei and ij.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially when the letter Y exists :vuvu: