Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Mizuti posted:

How do I learn to play better? People successfully clear this DLC on Maddening difficulty with the same tools, so the problem is with me and not the tools.

Ashe is great, probably the most well-adjusted character in the cast. No, my problems are with Hilda and Linhardt. They never stop whining, even during battle! :argh: I was hoping that their support scenes would make them more likeable or sympathetic but all the ones I unlocked just reinforce their unpleasantness.

Hilda I loved from the get-go but I played Golden Deer first. Linhardt took some time to grow on me but I love that he just doesn’t give a poo poo about anything that’s not his research or his friends. His Caspar and Dorothea supports are both great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
My top 5 (non-lord/non-DLC) characters:
1. Leonie
2. Hilda
3. Lysithea
4. Ferdinand
5. Bernadetta

I've never done a playthrough with these five where they ended up underwhelming.

Also, re: DLC, on Hard, it is definitely between NG Maddening and NG+ Maddening. You need to know your stuff to get through it unscathed.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Are there any specific supports I should work towards (or look up on Youtube) that have especially interesting information or great interactions? I've been surprised by the tidbits that have come up during some of them, like the Lindhart/Catherine one. :wtc:

Speaking of supports, are some of them presented as possibilities for gift giving, teatime, meals, or giving points during conversations just to obscure spoilers? For example, I don't think it's possible to get closer to Dedue on any path but Blue Lions but I've gotten some points with him on the Golden Deer path. One character in particular got my attention: Rhea seems to have ranks all the way to S support. Is it possible to see all of them if you spam her with gifts and training sessions or is it just a fakeout? I've only seen the C rank.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You can only S-rank Rhea on Silver Snow, but you can get A rank with her on any route. She's the only A rank you can get during the Academy phase, but all of her supports are time-gated. You need to get B rank before Byleth gets their personal class, and you can only get A rank before the timeskip.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Some supports give lore exposition hints and such. They all have a mechanical purpose besides that though. You can support with Rhea and it can impact the ending on SS

Flayn is a cool source of some lore hints that I think gets over looked because lel bad unit, even though rescue is great. Speaking of her, Seteth is another actually really good unit, and has swift strike/easy Wyvern Lord access.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

How do you use the ballista? I'm doing the battle of eagle and lion and have a guy parked on it but there doesn't seem to be an option to use it?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

Flayn is a cool source of some lore hints that I think gets over looked because lel bad unit
??? i've never seen anyone think a) that flayn is a bad unit or b) that she's a bad character

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

municipal shrimp posted:

How do you use the ballista? I'm doing the battle of eagle and lion and have a guy parked on it but there doesn't seem to be an option to use it?

I think they need to have at least decent bow skill to use it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

municipal shrimp posted:

Your guy needs at least D rank bows to use it. (All the weapons panels have a stat requirements to use them.)

Mizuti posted:

Are there any specific supports I should work towards (or look up on Youtube) that have especially interesting information or great interactions? I've been surprised by the tidbits that have come up during some of them, like the Lindhart/Catherine one. :wtc:

Speaking of supports, are some of them presented as possibilities for gift giving, teatime, meals, or giving points during conversations just to obscure spoilers? For example, I don't think it's possible to get closer to Dedue on any path but Blue Lions but I've gotten some points with him on the Golden Deer path. One character in particular got my attention: Rhea seems to have ranks all the way to S support. Is it possible to see all of them if you spam her with gifts and training sessions or is it just a fakeout? I've only seen the C rank.

Dorothea has the overall best supports because a lot of them are either jiving with the nice characters or taking the piss out of the stuck-up/douche characters. :v:

Dedue and Hubert can only unlock support ranks on their house's route, but yeah, you can still gain points. It's a waste to use resources/time for this, though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Amppelix posted:

??? i've never seen anyone think a) that flayn is a bad unit or b) that she's a bad character

I've seen a lot of people who think both those things.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 12, 2020

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Mizuti posted:

Which route are you doing next and what supports did you get all the way through on you Blue Lions playthrough?

Rimusutera posted:

I've seen a lot of people who think both those things.

Flayn is not a great unit outside of her ability to Rescue in my experience, but she's a great character. All of her supports are either interesting and informational or just funny. Her supports with Raphael, Felix and Sylvain are some of my favorite comedic supports. Too many of my friends just did Crimson Flower as their only playthrough and I tell them all the time how disappointed I am that they don't know the wonder of Flayn.

God, this game has lived rent free in my head for over a year now and I just love every single character in it. Except Gilbert. gently caress Gilbert.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The recruitment restricts and some people just playing or replaying some routes and recruiting the students they like is why some units get overlooked to some extent by lots of players, yeah.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 12, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Epi Lepi posted:

Too many of my friends just did Crimson Flower as their only playthrough and I tell them all the time how disappointed I am that they don't know the wonder of Flayn.

Also Seteth and Hilda (who really grew on me, I hated her at first).

I genuinely don't get people who only ever play through one route in this game, and almost everyone I've heard of who does that exclusively does Crimson Flower.

One reason I keep playing FETH again and again is the sheer amount of replay value between the different routes and different people you can poach for each. Every time I play I see at least a little bit of content I've never seen before.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I can understand it. The game's 100 hours at a minimum, some people don't have time for the rest. The gameplay doesn't change all that much and you've got to repeat White Clouds which is pretty dull if it's the same difficulty as before.

I've come back to it a bunch but if Maddening hadn't released I would have been happy to sit on my CF / SS clears and never see it again.

And even with my effective difficulty increases between VW and AM by moving from NG+ to NG, White Clouds ended up pretty boring and I was very very done with the game by the end of AM. I think some of my antipathy to that route comes from how tired I was but I can't be sure.

I'll just blame Dimitri instead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I burned out so hard on the monastery I never want to play the game again tbh.

Also mechanically I felt like the game was kind of a mess and didn't enjoy playing it as much as other games in the series :shrug:. I am almost definitely not going to ever play VW or SS and by the time I was done with AM I was wishing I'd just stopped after CF. I would have ended with a better opinion of the game overall if I hadn't had to play through White Clouds twice.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Coming back to it after a reasonably long break makes White Clouds repeats much more tolerable.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i get the complaint of having to repeat part 1 mostly the same to see the different part 2s, but coming from replaying different fire emblem games being a favourite activity of mine, i honestly don't feel it at all. there's a lot more variety possible in 3h than there ever was in the older games.

if you just hate the monastery though, rip i guess

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

i get the complaint of having to repeat part 1 mostly the same to see the different part 2s, but coming from replaying different fire emblem games being a favourite activity of mine, i honestly don't feel it at all. there's a lot more variety possible in 3h than there ever was in the older games.

if you just hate the monastery though, rip i guess

Its mostly just when playing Fire Emblem I want to like play the tactical battle portion. The Monastery drags out every single interstitial part of the game and meshes horribly with my maximalist instincts since I was running around talking to everyone, collecting all the missing items etc between every map.

It was A Lot and it just absolutely burned me out.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I just play CF because well it's the most unique and I have no desire to do three routes that are to me evil routes. :v:

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm starting up my "experimental" game now. I'm going to play on New Game + / Hard, and I'm going to follow Edelgard.

I recruited Lysithea, Mercedes, and Constance for the supports they have with Black Eagle students, and I recruited Leonie because I felt like it. I wanted to recruit Hapi since I've only ever used her once, but she has no supports with like anyone, so too bad for her.

I'm trying to play unusual classes with (most of) the characters. I'm going Falcon Knight with Petra and Wyvern Master with Caspar because neither of them seemed worth investing time in magic, and I realized that I had almost no characters planned to go into flying classes, so I'm giving myself a break with these two.

Constance is punching her way through physical classes, and ending at Warrior Monk.

Edelgard is going to focus on magic and probably end with Gremory.

Mercedes is going to be an archer/sniper/maybe a bow knight?

Lysithea is using swords all the way. I might make her a trickster or Mortal Savant end game. Same deal for Dorothea. I'll probably get dancer for Dorothea for the sword avoid.

Hubert is going to focus on lances and bows and aim for paladin or bow knight.

Ferdinand is going magic heavy. He'll end in either Warlock or Dark Knight.

Lindhardt is also going with swords for now, with Trickster or Mortal Savant as a possibility. I really wanted to make him go up through the punching classes, but I decided that maybe focusing on a skill he has a bane in would be annoying.

Bernadetta is going magic all the way to Gremory or Valkyrie.

It's been a bit of a poo poo show so far in the early game, but it's a New Game +, so once I get out of the early game, it shouldn't be too challenging. I think.
Constance has already done remarkably well punching her way through enemies with training gauntlets. Punching Constance rules.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hell yeah baby

this ended up being a ridiculous glass cannon build, especially since this is a maddening save. her slow rear end would probably die when enemies look in her general direction but boy howdy, that damage output with the (appropriately) super rare magical brave effect. unless the enemy is a mage they're just dead.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

I just play CF because well it's the most unique and I have no desire to do three routes that are to me evil routes. :v:

They're all unique if you only play one route :v:

Zore posted:

Its mostly just when playing Fire Emblem I want to like play the tactical battle portion. The Monastery drags out every single interstitial part of the game and meshes horribly with my maximalist instincts since I was running around talking to everyone, collecting all the missing items etc between every map.

It was A Lot and it just absolutely burned me out.

This is why they have the option to skip to the monthly battle. Just pretend the monastery doesn't even exist-- frame it as a challenge mode since you won't get quite as much training and stuff done by skipping. The only time you really need to talk to people is for the Eagles route split, and you've already done CF.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mizuti posted:

This video had some terrific info! I was able to get through the other maps, but the golem map and the final battle I definitely needed help on.

Now that I've completed Cindered Shadows, I don't think it had many answers to my plot/setting/character questions. The only tidbits that seemed relevant were the information about Byleth's mother and the reveal that a heart transplant made Byleth into a :geno: silent protagonist... I guess. Rhea continues being evasive and weird, church continues being misused to take advantage of poor and displaced people. Same old song. Unless other parts of the DLC have plot stuff, that part of it is a bust.

If that was solely off my suggestion, I think I may have worded it poorly. Verdant Wind/Silver Snow are the routes that answer most of the questions, and Cindered Shadows mostly covers things that aren't covered in either of those.

There is more DLC plot; now that you have completed the story, you can visit the Abyss in the main story, and recruit the Ashen Wolves. There's a fair bit of detail secreted away between their supports, quests, and incidental NPC dialogue.

Depending on how many times you feel like playing through White Clouds, I'd recommend either playing Verdant Wind followed by Crimson Flower (2 playthroughs) or Silver Snow followed by Crimson Flower (only have to play through White Clouds one more time if you save your game at the route split).

E: I think the most revealing support conversations are either with Byleth or ones that are signposted in some way. Like, Flayn's secret can be inferred, but her support with Seteth is the one that explicitly tells you, and you know Catherine has some kind of history involving Lonato, so if you want that scoop, support her with Ashe.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 13, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only character I hated at first was Lorenz cause his initial support with Marianne bugged the gently caress out of me. But he was necessary since I ran Lysithea in every route. And then I played Golden Dawn and he's a lot better with other character.

I have to finish CF (saving my favorite for last!) but Genshin's got that deathgrip on me for now.

Then I'll think about trying (and quitting) Maddening NG+.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Lorenz' support chain with Marianne is great because he's an rear end in a top hat but he totally owns it and is very sweet towards her after.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, but I finished my first 2 playthroughs (Church and Blue Lions) without finishing that support because I was mainly focused on the original house units, so I never actually finished it until I got to my Golden Deer playthrough.

The original plan for CF was to kill him off as soon as I got his relic, but that plan is off the table now.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Lorenz grew on me a lot too. He's obsessed with nobility and his role as one, but I think what saves him from being a total self-centered douche is that he seems to genuinely believe in the ideals he preaches, and is willing to accept the duties along with the privlege. I felt the same way about Ferdinand.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Inu posted:

Constance is punching her way through physical classes, and ending at Warrior Monk.
Constance has already done remarkably well punching her way through enemies with training gauntlets. Punching Constance rules.

Oh yes she owns, although I would suggest putting her through the magic classes before going war cleric. The reason I say this is because putting her in war cleric will buff her strength anyway to like 15, so tanking her strength isn't too bad early, and she gets a skill that lets her punch poo poo using her magic stat, so ideally that should be the highest stat anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Inu posted:

Lorenz grew on me a lot too. He's obsessed with nobility and his role as one, but I think what saves him from being a total self-centered douche is that he seems to genuinely believe in the ideals he preaches, and is willing to accept the duties along with the privlege. I felt the same way about Ferdinand.

I haven’t seen a lot of Lorentz’s supports but I really like Ferdinand because it very quickly becomes obvious that even if he’s proud of being a noble he doesn’t think he’s better than anyone because of it, and that being born special just means he was lucky. I also like that he has to deal with the revelation that his rival dynamic with Edelgard is not only one-sided, he’s not even in the same league as her (even if it’s inconvenient gameplay-wise).

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Inu posted:

Ferdinand is an absolute sweetheart who needs no prompting to reflect and make amends when he's wronged someone. Lorenz is a fair bit denser, but he's capable of getting the message. Sylvain is a miserable prick who has been hurt by his station and relishes in paying it forward.

They're three very different takes on the same archetype, which is neat, but Ferdie very much is the gold standard.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They're three very different takes on the same archetype, which is neat, but Ferdie very much is the gold standard.

Something I like about the three class structure is how it allows them to "Reuse" archetypes without it getting stale/weird since you only use them one at a time. But more importantly it allows them to cover wildly different takes on them. Like all three classes have the cliche "Muscle Man who is friendly to everyone" but Caspar, Dedue, and Raphael are all unmistakable from each other. Hubert and Felix are both fill the role of the edgy wingman. Ashe, Leonie, and Dorothea are the poor kid, but have taken vastly different tracks on how to alleviate that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ashe and Ignatz are both soft, gentle souls but one of them somehow sticks the landing and the other doesn't.

I'll say I actually like Ignatz and don't know why so many dislike him, but I like Ashe more

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I want to say it's because Ashe is more tied into the story of the game, at least the first part's. While Ignatz has the potential, pretty much nothing about what happened in the Alliance comes up or matters, which is a shame because his backstory has the potential to be interesting.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ignatz is way too dense regarding his hang-ups with Raphael. Like, it is understandable, but after three supports and a paralogue about their situation, he still seems too squishy about it.

Ashe has his hang-ups, too, but he's gentle while stoking a righteous fury for those who manipulated Lonato.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Ah, I only recruited Ignatz in my AM playthrough and nabbed Leonie and Lysithea and I felt like Ignatz was really cute in his interactions with Flayn and Ingrid. Didn't know the Raphael support soured people on him since I killed Raphael

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Eimi posted:

I want to say it's because Ashe is more tied into the story of the game, at least the first part's. While Ignatz has the potential, pretty much nothing about what happened in the Alliance comes up or matters, which is a shame because his backstory has the potential to be interesting.

I mean, all the alliance characters have the same problem.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, all the alliance characters have the same problem.

Yup! At least everyone who isn't Marianne, Leonie, and Lysithea. It's a shame that VW is what it is, because Claude has such potential to be interesting but it's just unused and he's basically carried off his charisma.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Inu posted:

Yeah, Lorenz is the guy who you have to see his supports through to the end to see the merits. The problem is, while he absolutely does believe in the ideals he preaches and genuinely means well, his attitude about it and the general demeanor he feels obligated to present makes him come off as... well, you know.

He comes across as your standard poncy arrogant rear end in a top hat noble until you realize "oh poo poo, this guy actually walks the talk about using his power to help the people."

And honestly, he has a pretty good talent for helping people get over their self-doubt issues, and bringing out their hidden talents; his supports with Marianne and Ignatz are my favorites. Especially Ignatz, simply because while Ignatz is all "Aww, I have to choose between my painting hobby and being a knight, and I have to choose Knight..." and in comes Lorenz being all "gently caress YOU, YOU WILL DO BOTH, GOOD SIR." And then says he'll take Ignatz on as one of his knights, being a noble, to make sure it happens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The way Lorenz makes an absolutely awful first impression is an important and satisfying part of his character. It allows his support counterparts an opportunity to reveal how they feel about the central facet of the setting by dunking mercilessly on him, and it gives him the opportunity to mature and reveal hidden depths. Would they have given him the worst haircut in the universe in part 1 if he weren't meant to be a growth unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

honestly the way people will instantly decide a character is awful if they seem like a bad person has never made sense to me. i mean it kinda does, it's only human to dislike people who seem awful, but like. it's a character. the purpose of characters is not to be your friend and have fun times with you, it's to bring interesting and entertaining writing to the table.

like, for a relevant example, i've seen people not do any of lorenz's supports because he seems like (and kinda is) an unlikable fop. don't you *want* to see people dunking on him? you can't have scenes like that if there's no character to dunk on!