Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
I think a full trow drop could only help during my interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I have a group interview today for a junior management position at a local council. Any tips specific to the group interview setting? I've done them before but only for customer service grunt jobs where it was clear that the objective of the group setting was "weed out the people who are overly obnoxious/overbearing and don't gel with the rest of the group".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr Newsman posted:

If I apply and don't get an offer or decide not to go for it, would this reflect poorly on him at all?

No, the opposite. I love it when people refer people, even if they aren't a fit. It means they think the place is good and want friends to work here. Plus you have to pay big bucks to recruiters and you get lovely candidates from them all the time. Having employees recruit is a huge net positive.

bee posted:

I have a group interview today for a junior management position at a local council. Any tips specific to the group interview setting? I've done them before but only for customer service grunt jobs where it was clear that the objective of the group setting was "weed out the people who are overly obnoxious/overbearing and don't gel with the rest of the group".

Have a few polished answers ready. Especially in group settings you are absolutely going to get asked some combination of these:

1. Name a time you overcame a challenge
2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
3. What experience do you have leading people?
4. How do you handle a situation where there isn't a ready solution?

There's probably more, depending on the industry.

Identify the decision maker and focus on them, but make sure to spread around attention and questions. Have a few good questions to ask them ready. If you can get them all talking and joking around with each other, the better it is for you. People love to talk so give them opportunities.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

That's super useful! Thank you very much :cheers:

The interview is for a senior customer service agent at a local council. There's some customer contact involved but will give me the opportunity to get some more solid mentoring/leadership/continuous improvement process experience under my belt so that I can eventually qualify for a management level role.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Just bee yourself

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Moneyball posted:

Just bee yourself

:c00lbert:

bee posted:

That's super useful! Thank you very much :cheers:

The interview is for a senior customer service agent at a local council. There's some customer contact involved but will give me the opportunity to get some more solid mentoring/leadership/continuous improvement process experience under my belt so that I can eventually qualify for a management level role.

Add: How have you dealt with a difficult customer
What do you do when you have 10-hours of tasks to do in 8 hours?
When have you mentored a challenging team member?

Have some examples of when you've done process improvement on hand too.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm just bringing this up because it happens, but if a woman asks you a question, you better direct your answer to her rather than a guy on the panel.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I'm a woman so I do that anyway :grin:

The interview was.. Odd. About 25 people split into five groups of five, first task was an icebreaker activity in which we needed to do a little stand up mini presenetstion about the person sitting next to us. Next task was to watch this retro survival scenario video then as an individual and as a group prioritise the items you need to survive in order of most to least useful. Then we got given instructions to make an origami boat using a piece of paper, then there was a 8 question multiple choice quiz that was obviously designed to test attention to detail under pressure.

Then at the end everyone got called back for a five minute interview. I was literally the last person called back which wasn't far off giving me flashbacks to school sports teams (I was not an athletic child) but I felt more confident about this part of the process compared to the rest of the group interview tasks. I'm introverted and I know I perform better in a one on one setting. But they intend to progress to the next round of interviews next week so hopefully I'll hear something positive back soon.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bee posted:

The interview was.. Odd. About 25 people split into five groups of five, first task was an icebreaker activity in which we needed to do a little stand up mini presenetstion about the person sitting next to us. Next task was to watch this retro survival scenario video then as an individual and as a group prioritise the items you need to survive in order of most to least useful. Then we got given instructions to make an origami boat using a piece of paper, then there was a 8 question multiple choice quiz that was obviously designed to test attention to detail under pressure.

Good god.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I couldn't even make it through your description.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I really wonder who the hell came up with that and what the validation process was to determine how this ties to good candidates. I mean I have a pretty clear idea of the last part but those goofy rear end games really irritate me when it comes to people's livelihood.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It really is 2009 all over again, when unemployment and underemployment are sky high some companies/people make applicants do everything short of gladiatorial combat for no more meaningful purpose than their own amusement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jesus that is so much worse than I was imagining.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What kind of knives would you be selling?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Origami what the gently caress? God I hate that this made it through a committee and anyone who didn't speak up to push back on that should be sent to the firing squad / gulag.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

It's for a customer experience role within local government. It was exhausting, the whole thing took almost three hours.

You could just tell how thrilled the recruitment/hr team were with these exercises too. They were walking around between tasks and asking candidates what they thought of each exercise. Everyone was smiling and nodding about how original their approach was and how much fun they were having!

:negative:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I, too, base my feedback on candidates that have no choice but to approve of my idea in order to get the position.

Oh you're in australia right? Shits nutty down under.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I just got to the references stage of an interview process. However, they told me that it's time to let my current place know that I'm exploring other opportunities, as they want to speak to my direct supervisor. The position is with a public school. Is such a request a normal part of the interview process for a public sector position, or should I consider this a red flag?

Double Deux
Oct 30, 2010

bee posted:

It's for a customer experience role within local government. It was exhausting, the whole thing took almost three hours.

You could just tell how thrilled the recruitment/hr team were with these exercises too. They were walking around between tasks and asking candidates what they thought of each exercise. Everyone was smiling and nodding about how original their approach was and how much fun they were having!

:negative:

Honestly I want to see the scoring breakdown for the origami. I just imagine them measuring folds in paper sails like a phrenologist while the candidates whimper in a corner.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bee posted:

Then at the end everyone got called back for a five minute interview. I was literally the last person called back which wasn't far off giving me flashbacks to school sports teams (I was not an athletic child) but I felt more confident about this part of the process compared to the rest of the group interview tasks. I'm introverted and I know I perform better in a one on one setting. But they intend to progress to the next round of interviews next week so hopefully I'll hear something positive back soon.
Are you sure it wasn't some sort of performance art installation and you were part of the artwork?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

It is possible. The interview was held in what used to be a jail. It's a heritage listed building with big open spaces so I assume they had it there so they could still have a group interview but comply with government covid social distancing rules. The razor wired walkways and the pigeon poo poo on the floor gave the whole thing a really special charm!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bee posted:

It is possible. The interview was held in what used to be a jail. It's a heritage listed building with big open spaces so I assume they had it there so they could still have a group interview but comply with government covid social distancing rules. The razor wired walkways and the pigeon poo poo on the floor gave the whole thing a really special charm!

Lockback posted:

Jesus that is so much worse than I was imagining.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dik Hz posted:

Are you sure it wasn't some sort of performance art installation and you were part of the artwork?

:emptyquote:

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

And I thought I was reasonable for not applying anywhere I see the words "open office."

I think the real test there was if anyone would stand up and walk out. Like Milgram's experiment except you're murdering your own pride instead of a dude with a heart condition.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 14, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

How do I ATS optimize my resume so it parses the info correctly. All the parsing systems keep thinking my job title was the company I worked for and I'm getting sick of wasting time fixing it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I interviewed with a place where I wasn't the right fit (I wasn't imo) but afterwards they wanted to do a followup. They are now discussing working with me to make a new role that doesn't exist (with team) and wanting me to fill. I uh, don't really have any idea how to do a combination role and self pitch to fill this role or what I should be thinking about/making sure I bring up especially related to hiring a team for me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

I interviewed with a place where I wasn't the right fit (I wasn't imo) but afterwards they wanted to do a followup. They are now discussing working with me to make a new role that doesn't exist (with team) and wanting me to fill. I uh, don't really have any idea how to do a combination role and self pitch to fill this role or what I should be thinking about/making sure I bring up especially related to hiring a team for me.

What's your situation? Do you need a new job, are you looking at making a career jump, just tired of your old one? Basically there's a slider here with "What Company needs" on one end and "What Barudak Wants" on the other. There may be some overlap but at some point you kinda gotta decide how far to push one way or the other.

Some good news is they wouldn't be spending the time on this if they weren't serious about wanting you onboard. The mixed news is that this kind of "Define a role" can be both good and bad. You'll be defining a role that they don't need today (since they are presumably flying fine without it) but one where you aren't tied down to job expectations that might be outdated/non-sensical. So definitely higher risk, but potentially nice reward. I've done it twice in my career, once ended up in my position getting obliterated 24 months later (despite largely doing everything that I was supposed to) and another that has been very successful for me overall.

For advice for this, I'd start with the role and write out a actual job description, look online for a template. You can have some gaps or just a skeleton, but the more here the better. Build that, then come up with a 3/6/9 month plan (what would you hope to accomplish in the first 3 months, 6 months, 9 months). That will probably be a pretty good framework. It's homework but probably the right thing to do if you really want to push in on this.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

The mixed news is that this kind of "Define a role" can be both good and bad. [...] ended up in my position getting obliterated 24 months later

I had this happen and this was the result for me. I was also in the scenario where the people making this decision was my bosses boss and my background wasn’t who my boss wanted.

Me and my boss were both gone from the company within 18 mo.

If you are the direct report of someone you haven’t met a a result, MEET THEM and feel out their needs before accepting.

maxidious
Sep 25, 2007

Meh
Looking for a change of company/scenery as I've been working for the same company for a long time. Looking for technology management positions.

Roast me :supaburn:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

maxidious posted:

Looking for a change of company/scenery as I've been working for the same company for a long time. Looking for technology management positions.

Roast me :supaburn:

I gave it a quick glance and thought it was decent and had the following nit picky thoughts:

- Your undefined acronyms arent too bad as they are common in that field but I give this advice a lot: Don't assume the people reading your resume are all technical and in your field. Avoid using acronyms without spelling them out. Someone in HR or a skip level might no know what CI/CD, ETL, MVP, refer to.
- IMO, avoid the use of weasel words as they soften confident statement of facts. E.g. "5 years of experience" versus "over 5 years of experience"
- aol.com email address in tech

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If you have projects tied to revenue for your lead position I'd try to work that in, though I just saw that role is only 9 months old. Still, especially data jobs money is king.

I also think this is pretty good. If you wanted to expand you could probably go to two pages but I think what you have here is pretty good. If you have a github from your software dev role it might look good, managers who know how to code are more valuable. Probably not worth it to build one if you don't have one though.

I like the tech stack listings on each job, that's a good way of handling that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I assumed the AOL email address was a clever joke.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I think we went to the same school. Go, College, University Mascots!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
I've been at the same company for approximately 8 years with regular promotions. Three title bumps with increasing and varied responsibilities then into management and then project management. Do I list these as seperate positions or consolidate it somehow?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quills posted:

I've been at the same company for approximately 8 years with regular promotions. Three title bumps with increasing and varied responsibilities then into management and then project management. Do I list these as seperate positions or consolidate it somehow?

If you went from Intermediate Hot Dog Inspector to Senior Hot Dog Inspector, you can just combine those. If its a substantive new role, break it out. If it's the heart of your resume, err on the side of breaking it out if you have the room.

I had a similar long run that involved a engineering role (3 titles), managing engineers (2 titles), then managing a data science team at one company. I broke that into 3 sections and just included the promotion dates for the senior titles.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Quills posted:

Answering for engineering, but may apply broadly.
I think there's a lot of value in showing you have had career progression, particularly every 2 years or less and that you've been sat one company more than 2 years. Thats a standout thing in engineering these days.

Say you went Engineer 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 4 + Functional Engineering Manager (i.e. part Time) -> Program Engineering Manager (i.e. full time)

I'd do:
Company Name City, St Jan 2012 - Present < - Slightly bigger text than below, maybe include a logo
Program Engineering Manager Jan 2019-Present
-Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec luctus rhoncus eros sed facilisis. Maecenas gravida ante sit amet arcu feugiat, venenatis malesuada enim aliquet. Vivamus
-Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec luctus rhoncus eros sed facilisis. Maecenas gravida ante sit amet arcu feugiat, venenatis malesuada enim aliquet. Vivamus

Functional Engineering Manager Jan 2018-Jan 2019

Engineer 4 Jan 2017 - Jan 2019

Engineer 3 Jan 2019-Present < - One sentence or no sentences if same as above
Engineer 2 Jan 2019-Present < - One sentence or no sentences if same as above

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Def want to show progression. Even variety might be helpful if you moved laterally far enough that it was truly a different job.

Our b school standard format was something like:

Company Name date - date
Title y
- dishwasher

Title x
-gumscraper

Company Name date - date

And the advice to call-out a promotion in a bullet if it wasn't obvious from the title.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I agree with it in this case, but in the case of shorter stints at a place I'd rather stay with the most recent. IE: I hate my title completely right now, to the point that I don't list my current role on linkedin. When I get promoted in a few weeks I'll put the job on linkedin as that title with the start date being June 2019.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I applied for two positions with the city here in Cali and passed both written examinations. It’s for an admin clerk and a secretary in different departments. I progressed onto the interview stage, which will be done on some FaceTime-like platform I forget the name of. Do you guys have any tips specific for these sorts of non-private sector jobs? All I’m doing right now is going through YouTube/Google and writing down common questions and my answers to them.

Is there anything more I should be looking at? My interview will be on election day (which now means that day will be more terrifying than it already is) but it’s still far head enough that I can incorporate any advice you guys can give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

They can only ask you a set sort of questions. Each candidate gets the same questions. They won't be able to ask follow-up. So, try to answer the question, and try to stuff as much appropriate qualifications and experience into the answers. You have a lot of leeway in your answers so use that time to get at anything you think is relevant.