Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not sure if this channel has been shared before (maybe I found it here, maybe in AI). Usually the rescues are not too OSHA just a lot of people stuck in the sand at a lake.

However in this one they put a girl in the car about to roll down the mountain and just tell her to buckle up, which she doesn't do. Eventually they realize it's not safe and take her out. Then they put her back in a few minutes later when they realize they need someone in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zee2Fz_yX_Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

drgitlin posted:

If you were born in the 70s then you’ve also got a lead-poisoned brain, sorry.

My mom smoked while pregnant too. The doctor said it was fine!

:haw:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My mother smoked while she was pregnant with me, which probably stunted my growth as an adult. I ended up 6'1", but maybe I was supposed to be some Kevin Nash-sized monster.

Which, I guess would actually a bad thing, because my knees and back are already bad enough.

:corsair:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

What happens when the pig and raccoon combine forces :ohdear:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

priznat posted:

What happens when the pig and raccoon combine forces :ohdear:

Raccoon gets to pig out

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
70s was smoking, drinking, and riding around without seat belts was fine...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah and you enlisted so who's smart now?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Oh I'm just full of bad decisions, concussions, and bad joints.

:corsair:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My god, look at the size of that lemon!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Bad Munki posted:

Doesn't lead actually affect DNA such that offspring, exposed or not, also get to enjoy some of the benefits? And can last generations?

What I'm saying is, we're all dumb.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200421090556.htm

Rising atmospheric CO2 levels (leading to higher indoor levels) ensures a dumb future.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 13, 2020

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bad Munki posted:

Doesn't lead actually affect DNA such that offspring, exposed or not, also get to enjoy some of the benefits? And can last generations?

What I'm saying is, we're all dumb.

Not when it comes to affecting how your brain develops, no.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

But how else can I get the pig, the raccoon, and the head of lettuce across the river?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What if you want to be chosen by PIG?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qye1vi9UZ3Y

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nocheez posted:

I remember my brother teaching me that and basically having the same response. He had seen one come off while near a guy on the highway and he was able to stop it safely.

I personally have seen more than my fair share of trailerfuckery. I've seen many wheels come off, bearings seized, trucks flipped due to an unstable load, trailers completely broken free and wild. It's scary every time, trailers just add a while new level of uncertainty to an emergency.

Truckfucklery story time, about when I almost got fired and instead caused a company wide changing of the rules.

I drive for a Contracted Service Provider for FedEx Ground as part of a team operation. We pull sets of double pup trailers, which require a dolly between the trailers to connect A to B. When moving the dolly around the terminal it is connected to a pintle hook and chained to the back of the truck frame.

6 or so years ago my CSP was buying a brand new truck and getting it kitted out of FXG service. For the loops to hold the chains he wanted hefty 3/4 inch loops connected to the frame with 1/2 inch bolts and all welded together, and for the pintle hook to have a cotter pin like thing to keep the hook closed when pulling a dolly. FXG said no. They went back and forth for two weeks and FXG put their foot down so the new truck had 1/2 inch loops and 1/4 inch bolts and no welding and no pin.

2 weeks after that, when driving the dolly around the terminal yard, the dolly bounced enough to force the pintle hook open and started bouncing around behind me. I hit the brakes and the dolly basically jumped over the back bumper and the front resting foot thing went between the dual drive tires on the right side, almost puncturing the tire. The chains were connected, and when the dolly bounced up the chains pulled on the loops and sheared the bolts off, taking the loops with them.

At first FXG wanted to fire me for a preventable accident involving FXG property (they own the dolly). My CSP fought back, noting that he wanted a setup that would not have had the bolts shear off and have a pin to prevent the dolly from bouncing out and that FXG fought him over that and this proves that he was right. Now FXG tractors are allowed and encouraged to have the hefty loops and bolts and welds and pins and everything else and I still have my job.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Written in blood. Just not, like, literal blood this time. Congrats.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Thank you for your service.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

This looks like a Brenderup trailer. The black rubber boot ("4") covers a section of the hitch that slides a limited distance. In lieu of electric brakes, this is used to actuate wheel brakes on the trailer. I.e., the towing vehicle brakes, the trailer is pushed instead of normally being pulled, the boot segment compresses, and trailer brakes are applied mostly proportionately via levers.

I've never seen that in my limited experience here, but is that a common alternative to electric brakes in the US?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I think that's the surge brakes discussed up there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note that the two chains are supposed to be hooked to the towing vehicle in an X fashion under the trailer tongue. If they're running parallel and the hitch pops off the ball, that's gonna likely hit the ground and bad things will happen. If the chains are in an X, the tongue will get caught before slamming the ground, but you gotta slow gently because unless the trailer has brakes it's not going to stop until it bumps into the back of the slowing towing vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZhXW5g_7c

Supposed to be hooked in an X fashion? Oh yeah, of course, who uh, who doesn't know that? heh, yeah. *shiftily looks around*

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lake of Methane posted:

This looks like a Brenderup trailer. The black rubber boot ("4") covers a section of the hitch that slides a limited distance. In lieu of electric brakes, this is used to actuate wheel brakes on the trailer. I.e., the towing vehicle brakes, the trailer is pushed instead of normally being pulled, the boot segment compresses, and trailer brakes are applied mostly proportionately via levers.

I've never seen that in my limited experience here, but is that a common alternative to electric brakes in the US?

I wouldn't call it common, at least in my area, but I see them around enough that they aren't out of place here.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Xaintrailles posted:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/04/200421090556.htm

Rising atmospheric CO2 levels (leading to higher indoor levels) ensures a dumb future.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

"Would have to be deliberately planned" is a good summary of this thread.
Did gamma exposure produce any useful results?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

The technical breakdown is chilling alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9DEWKwozY8

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Most of the versions of Ruby Red Grapefruits people eat are a mutation that was caused by loving around with radiation and food. Half of Californa's rice production is from Calrose 76 which is a mutation caused by radiation. The barley you find in a lot of European beers is a product of atomic gardening.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Thomamelas posted:

Most of the versions of Ruby Red Grapefruits people eat are a mutation that was caused by loving around with radiation and food. Half of Californa's rice production is from Calrose 76 which is a mutation caused by radiation. The barley you find in a lot of European beers is a product of atomic gardening.

Yes, and this is an understatement. Basically all food improvements prior to GMO involve battering seeds with as much radiation as they'll take without dying in the hope they'll produce a useful mutation (99.99% don't).

This is also why anti-GMO "they messin' with God's design!" arguments are so naive; instead of using GMO tech to surgically replace a single tiny part of the DNA to achieve the desired effect, the food industry's alternative was (and is) to just bathe it in radiation and hope for the best.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cojawfee posted:

Supposed to be hooked in an X fashion? Oh yeah, of course, who uh, who doesn't know that? heh, yeah. *shiftily looks around*

You just have to invoke the magic phrase "that ain't going nowhere" before you leave with your trailer loaded.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A good portion of anti-GMO advocates think the foods you find in Whole Foods are “natural”, and not the direct result of thousands of years of deliberate genetic manipulation

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Look up what the very first wild bananas are like if you think anything about modern fruits and vegetables are "natural."

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Look up what the very first wild bananas are like if you think anything about modern fruits and vegetables are "natural."

Look up teosinte to see what corn started out as.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/ggolDvF.mp4

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My favorite part is the dude almost wiping out on a puddle of Mystery Fluid at the beginning.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

It is believed that humans came across naturally seedless bananas and propagated them. All that’s necessary to get a seedless banana is one instance of hybridisation, after which progress greatly slows because sexual reproduction ceases and only mutations can move things along. The bananas we eat today aren’t that different from the ones eaten several thousand years ago.

Maize is a better example. We bred the poo poo out of it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Big 'brick tossed inside a running clothes dryer' energy in this.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

minato posted:

Yes, and this is an understatement. Basically all food improvements prior to GMO involve battering seeds with as much radiation as they'll take without dying in the hope they'll produce a useful mutation (99.99% don't).

This is also why anti-GMO "they messin' with God's design!" arguments are so naive; instead of using GMO tech to surgically replace a single tiny part of the DNA to achieve the desired effect, the food industry's alternative was (and is) to just bathe it in radiation and hope for the best.
Also, the whole concept of "they messin' with God's design!" is ignoring the work that humans did to artificially create seeds and plants that get greater harvests and hardier plants by the process of artificial selection. Those farmers back in the before times would keep a stock of seeds from the best performing plants and use those to grow the next batch.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We’ve also been grafting plants since at least the time of Socrates, and that’s some Doctor Frankenstein stuff.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Flannelette posted:

"Food irradiation is permitted by over 60 countries, with about 500,000 metric tons of food annually processed worldwide." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_irradiation

"In fact, you’re probably already eating irradiated products. About a third of dried herbs and spices are irradiated to prevent salmonella, and imported fruits like mangoes and papayas are sometimes zapped to kill invasive insects. The technique is also used to sterilize medical equipment like gloves, bandages, and syringes, as well as personal-care products like contact lens solution and baby bottle nipples."
https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/08/food-irradiation/

It's not all gamma radiation though

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Lake of Methane posted:

And if you brake while at just the right speed, the trailer will start to oscillate between braking and not braking and start doing something like this:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Flannelette posted:

Lots of them. "Atomic Gardening" is just one form of cultivating induced mutations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation_breeding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah cus even if it doesn't hold up the pintle, it at least lets it turn without trying to stretch a chain over it.