Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Pick posted:

Dominion war plus nemesis is a loving poo poo place to have things because it's basically every federation enemy curbstomped. So what you're going to bring back the kazon or some poo poo? The breen? The borg Queen is dead cardassia is hosed Romulus is hosed the dominos is hosed

You could get a lot of good stories out of rebuilding Cardassia and expanding relations with Romulus. You could adapt A Stitch In Time into a full season of political intrigue imo

You could also play with what peace between the Quadrants actually looks like; how the changelings reacted to Odo's views entering the soup, whether or not the Borg come around to a truce with the Federation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Neurolimal posted:

You could get a lot of good stories out of rebuilding Cardassia and expanding relations with Romulus. You could adapt A Stitch In Time into a full season of political intrigue imo

You could also play with what peace between the Quadrants actually looks like; how the changelings reacted to Odo's views entering the soup, whether or not the Borg come around to a truce with the Federation...

BORING

Needs more :spock:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ezri was set up to fail; you get one season, your stuff WILL interrupt the climactic series finale everyone has been waiting for, you are replacing one of the most fun Star Trek romances with angst about not fitting in, and you are expected to match Michael Dorn without the years of chemistry. Our material for said interaction? Joke about getting hurt during awkward cave sex, delirious ramblings under torture, a half-written murder mystery at home.

Pretty much every compliment about her is just "shes cute"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Also, the only reason your character even exists is because we decided to play hardball with Terry Farrell

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pick posted:

the dominos is hosed

Is that why they tried to rebrand as more than just pizza?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dax's new host should've been a guy. Keep the awkward uncomfortable latent sexual tension with Worf.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MikeJF posted:

Dax's new host should've been a guy. Keep the awkward uncomfortable latent sexual tension with Worf.

Make the new host the most Klingon of Klingons. Really confuse the hell out of him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neurolimal posted:

You could get a lot of good stories out of rebuilding Cardassia and expanding relations with Romulus.

I already have my own vision for exactly how this should occur, and anything that they would do would therefore be an immense disappointment in comparison

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Okay, so what is Picard? Is it the try-hard, over-produced, ultraviolent reimagining of a goofy yet sincere sci-fi show?

Picard is a realistic, down to earth show that's completely off the wall and swarming with magic robots.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I cannot stress this enough, they could have made "The Last of the Summer Wine" with Jean-Luc Picard, set in 23rd century France, and it would have been some of the best television of the last decade. It wouldn't have cost any more, and they could have worked in as many nostalgia-bomb callbacks and guest characters as they wanted.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pick posted:

I already have my own vision for exactly how this should occur, and anything that they would do would therefore be an immense disappointment in comparison

Starfleet advisors teaching the next generation of Cardassians how to love, Federation style, would fill out a two parter at most.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pick posted:

It's several interior shots from DS9 where they discuss the rebuild then a brief cut to Cardassia where a crane is lifting the public screen back up while two guys down below in high-viz point excitedly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghostlight posted:

It's several interior shots from DS9 where they discuss the rebuild then a brief cut to Cardassia where a crane is lifting the public screen back up while two guys down below in high-viz point excitedly.

They're ok :qq:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Pick posted:

They're ok :qq:

They were just napping in the cozy rubble, not sure why everyone freaked out

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pick posted:

Dominion war plus nemesis is a loving poo poo place to have things because it's basically every federation enemy curbstomped. So what you're going to bring back the kazon or some poo poo? The breen? The borg Queen is dead cardassia is hosed Romulus is hosed the dominos is hosed

Yah it’s the end of space world war 2, I want to skip ahead to space Trump taking office as federation president

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

infernal machines posted:

I cannot stress this enough, they could have made "The Last of the Summer Wine" with Jean-Luc Picard, set in 23rd century France, and it would have been some of the best television of the last decade. It wouldn't have cost any more, and they could have worked in as many nostalgia-bomb callbacks and guest characters as they wanted.

That would have been great. Drop by starfleet academy to guest lecture and chat with O’Brien, visit Betazed, borrow a captain’s yacht and go to the moon. Just nice chill tv, no eye rips at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

You could tell character focused stories about characters people like, in Star Trek settings. It's so goddamn simple, and so cheap. All you need are a few people in the writer's room who like Star Trek and can wrap their brains around the idea of solving problems without throwing a punch and having conversations where no one bursts into tears.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

You could tell character focused stories about characters people like, in Star Trek settings. It's so goddamn simple, and so cheap. All you need are a few people in the writer's room who like Star Trek and can wrap their brains around the idea of solving problems without throwing a punch and having conversations where no one bursts into tears.

Really sick of your "hot takes" indirectly attacking the strength of Michael Burnham's important character.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUaAbsGbz2w&t=7s

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 13, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Woah, slow down there, Seth MacFarlane!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TNG/DS9/VOY were honestly just sci-fi office dramas. And it worked.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

All you need are a few people in the writer's room who like Star Trek

lol, all those people write for The Orville now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's pretty clear that the Lower Decks people loving love Star Trek.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, all those people write for The Orville now.

It was pretty lol seeing Joe Menosky’s name appear on Disco for a bit, disappear, and then reappear on The Orville

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

HD DAD posted:

It was pretty lol seeing Joe Menosky’s name appear on Disco for a bit, disappear, and then reappear on The Orville

holy poo poo

e: Joe wrote Season 2's 'Sanctuary'.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
where is the Orville streaming?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Hulu has every episode. Plus the new season of Fargo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

If you're in Australia, it's on SBS's streaming service.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

MikeJF posted:

It's pretty clear that the Lower Decks people loving love Star Trek.

Too bad it's still supporting Kurtzman by watching it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
omg why didnt you all tell me... I just watched the last episode of Picard and now Im a sobbing mess

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

omg why didnt you all tell me... I just watched the last episode of Picard and now Im a sobbing mess

Sorry, here is your warning. Its poo poo poo made by scurrilous fucks targeted at lovely people who are easily amused by vague resemblances.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i also felt some very strong emotions after seeing the shutterstock footage montage.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
wow. you people take space sci fi operas aggressively seriously... you do realize it's entertainment and cheesy at best, yeah?

I liked both Discovery and Picard, although I smoke a lot of weed and had to backtrack a few times in both to get the timeline hopping clear. TOS/TNG/DS9 were all cheesy as gently caress but I enjoy them too and have for three decades so its not like I'm unfamiliar with the canon

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Is it cheesy or did it just make you cry a minute ago?

Its good that you found escape through Mouthbreater Android's tale of nonsensical awakening.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I cant find something both cheesy as well as emotionally moving? Interesting. I have an affinity for both Picard and Data because I've been watching those characters since I was a child.

Calling me a mouthbreather in a thread dedicated to star trek is an... interesting position.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Your affinity for Picard seems to be as strong as Picards affinity for the Bajoran peoples.

Because hint, you weren't watching Picard.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I literally just finished the last episode, I'd been watching here and there over the last three weeks or so.

this is a super weird hill for you to want to live and die on and thanks, I am once again soured on discussing anything fun on the internet. Congrats?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Αaarggg claxon dleeess splayh spla nahhh nih karnih.
aaaadg flatjuaaah frajl frajl flatjuaaah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p06hdPTMJLo

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I literally just finished the last episode, I'd been watching here and there over the last three weeks or so.

this is a super weird hill for you to want to live and die on and thanks, I am once again soured on discussing anything fun on the internet. Congrats?

Keep enjoying whatever harmless thing brings you some happiness on this dumb planet. Nerds will always be getting militant at people who dare to enjoy a tv franchise about men in colored onsies the wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

yea somebody has to like star trek around here