Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

LNP Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington campaign in crisis after being referred by own party to election watchdog

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-13/lnp-crisis-as-deb-frecklington-referred-to-election-watchdog/12748400

Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Not wanting to spread a plague is boot licking, got it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CelestialScribe posted:

1. The vast majority of cops do not ask that and 2. I don’t give a poo poo about going to a restaurant

The boot licking in this thread is insane. When the 5km limit is listed on Sunday the back flipping will be crazy.

You literally said open restaurants. Why?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
These boots were made for lickin', and that's just what I'll do

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

iajanus posted:

LNP Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington campaign in crisis after being referred by own party to election watchdog

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-13/lnp-crisis-as-deb-frecklington-referred-to-election-watchdog/12748400

Whoops

Watch nothing happen. (Though I sincerely hope that isn't the case).

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

I'm originally from the UK and my family are mostly over there still including my brother who's an NHS doctor. They're in a worst of all worlds situation of absolute chaos with renewed lockdowns lockdowns and continued uncertainty for who knows how long, plus thousands of excess deaths and economic devastation. As crap as it has been I'm still hugely glad to be in Victoria which has actually taken steps to manage the outbreak and bring it back under control. Yeah it's been poo poo, but what is going on at home is so, so much worse it's ridiculous. Pretty on point with the cultural phenomenon here that most Australians absolutely have no idea how good they have things by global standards and will scream blue murder at the prospect of having to compromise even slightly. I really think had we had Lib governments in Vic and Qld when this hit they would have approached it in the same way as the UK Tories and we'd be similarly hosed.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

1. The vast majority of cops do not ask that and 2. I don’t give a poo poo about going to a restaurant

The boot licking in this thread is insane. When the 5km limit is listed on Sunday the back flipping will be crazy.

It is intensely weird that you think people not going outside the 5km limit now, but feeling comfortable doing so after it is lifted is back flipping

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

JBP posted:

You literally said open restaurants. Why?

Because I want to be able to have someone cook for me while being selfish and take away just doesn't cut it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
14 day rolling average is now increasing, cases with unknown source continues to rise.

Cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeast posted:

14 day rolling average is now increasing, cases with unknown source continues to rise.

Cool.

I'm interested in seeing how far they go on Sunday with stage 3a or whatever it is they're going to call it. We will probably end up like the UK since the virus is already out there and we aren't controlling it as hoped. Open the blood gates.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP posted:

I'm interested in seeing how far they go on Sunday with stage 3a or whatever it is they're going to call it. We will probably end up like the UK since the virus is already out there and we aren't controlling it as hoped. Open the blood gates.

Andrews flagged that the changes will be social not economic.

I'm really beginning to struggle. It's been illegal for me to work since August, and Jobkeeper is getting reduced.

I don't want to be dramatic, but it's getting to a point where they're not leaving me any choice but to break the rules so I can pay my bills.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeast posted:

Andrews flagged that the changes will be social not economic.

I'm really beginning to struggle. It's been illegal for me to work since August, and Jobkeeper is getting reduced.

I don't want to be dramatic, but it's getting to a point where they're not leaving me any choice but to break the rules so I can pay my bills.

I get it. It's loving terrible financially.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stuff like the Box Hill hospital outbreak makes me think we would have had to get very lucky to get rid of it altogether
Window of good will may be closing, and I understand why. It sucks though

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Breakfast Burrito posted:

It is intensely weird that you think people not going outside the 5km limit now, but feeling comfortable doing so after it is lifted is back flipping

Everything about CS is intensely weird. His screeching meltdowns over the initial stage 3 lockdowns to now being happy with harsher restrictions to back then as long as stage 4 gets eased slightly, believing the intimate partner rule is for casual hook ups instead of people in a relationship who dont live together, thinking that because you've supported the 5km radius that it's backflipping if you travel outside of that when the restriction is lifted. It's honestly infuriating reading his posts and childish logic towards it all.

The lockdown has been poo poo, my wife and I are both essential workers so we've been busting our asses, while homeschooling kids and dealing with isolation from everyone (you know, just like everyone else in Melbourne). We've been lucky to avoid the worst effects of the lockdown both financially and for our health, my wife works in intensive care and has had plenty of contact with COVID patients over the last 6 months, and I have to deal with and come into contact with the hordes of selfish public who need to go shopping "because it's so boring at home" while working in a hotspot suburb. One of my staff got the rona as well just before stage 4 kicked off. During this all I've had to attend my uncles funeral remotely, celebrate kids birthdays over facetime. I was meant to be on my first holiday in 10 years last week, and my plans for my 10 year wedding anniversary are up in smoke as well. I still think the lockdown was the right call, and caving and opening up now seems like the wrong call.

Not sure that I even have a point beyond a bit of a rant, but I think my main point is gently caress CS

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

EoinCannon posted:

Stuff like the Box Hill hospital outbreak makes me think we would have had to get very lucky to get rid of it altogether
Window of good will may be closing, and I understand why. It sucks though

but we did already, back in May.

the problem is this time people keep thinking they know better, and flaunting the rules because they're special or it's owed to them. the problem ongoing is a social one.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

KTS posted:

Everything about CS is intensely weird. His screeching meltdowns over the initial stage 3 lockdowns to now being happy with harsher restrictions to back then as long as stage 4 gets eased slightly, believing the intimate partner rule is for casual hook ups instead of people in a relationship who dont live together, thinking that because you've supported the 5km radius that it's backflipping if you travel outside of that when the restriction is lifted. It's honestly infuriating reading his posts and childish logic towards it all.

The lockdown has been poo poo, my wife and I are both essential workers so we've been busting our asses, while homeschooling kids and dealing with isolation from everyone (you know, just like everyone else in Melbourne). We've been lucky to avoid the worst effects of the lockdown both financially and for our health, my wife works in intensive care and has had plenty of contact with COVID patients over the last 6 months, and I have to deal with and come into contact with the hordes of selfish public who need to go shopping "because it's so boring at home" while working in a hotspot suburb. One of my staff got the rona as well just before stage 4 kicked off. During this all I've had to attend my uncles funeral remotely, celebrate kids birthdays over facetime. I was meant to be on my first holiday in 10 years last week, and my plans for my 10 year wedding anniversary are up in smoke as well. I still think the lockdown was the right call, and caving and opening up now seems like the wrong call.

Not sure that I even have a point beyond a bit of a rant, but I think my main point is gently caress CS

Good post and clearly nice goon. You're a trooper mate :)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KTS posted:

A lot of people have never had something like this happen to them in their lives and they have no control over it or ability to do anything about it (except the public health requirements).
I guess different people react in different ways, some them not logical ways

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Sulla Faex posted:

Like 10 years ago when I was growing them I was doing this too but I was broke so the capping thing I got was cheap and I would always get some of the fine powder on the outside of the caps, which just hits your tastebuds immediately and in such a worse, worse way. Plus I thought 00 capsules were like 0.5-0.65g? So for like 3.5g (to 4.55g?) I remember I'd take like 7 capsules.. what size capsules are we talking here that you can get 1g in them?

It's definitely not such a big deal, one way or another those suckers are going down, but the developed gag reflex was brutal and so I was thinking it'd be a nice little silver lining to this whole not being able to really smell or taste thing

They're big 1g capsules. About the size of an earplug. I usually dump the contents into tap water and drink it, hits in 15min if you've fasted.

The gag reflex can also be the dryness.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was talking with a friend who works at a servo and they're seeing about 50 customers a day without masks. Or with them pulled under their chin. Or people who walk into the store and then remove their masks.

"Oh I left it in the car" and then doesn't go back for it is apparently the most common excuse they hear.

He was telling me that other sites he knows of are pretty much the same, about 10% of customers just aren't giving a poo poo anymore. The staff at those sites are noting down the number of people without masks to try and take those numbers to their bosses because the rule to not say anything is still in place because the companies don't want to upset customers and make $$$ go down.

And this is outside the metro area in Victoria where the restrictions are incredibly light. It's loving ridiculous.

Some people seem utterly incapable of thinking of anyone except themselves or of anything beyond the immediate moment, no matter what it will cost down the line.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I dont get mask avoidance. Its a literally the easiest thing in the world to comply with. Annecidotal but im seeing similar things when im out walking - lots of people with it down around their neck.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

People are stupid and lazy. It's like all those other easy things people don't do but are a civic good.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This guy is one of the leading epidemiologists at the uni of Melbourne that the government is basing their plans on, and I'm just some guy, but...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/time-to-open-up-more-but-we-need-to-prioritise-what-we-value-most-20201012-p56496.html

quote:

Third, the last two steps of the road map (a distant mirage at the moment) are actually elimination steps. Given both the stubborn tail we are now in, and the fact that NSW has had a modest resurgence and has made it utterly clear they think long-run elimination is impossible, it is near pointless for Victoria to overtly pursue elimination.

...I genuinely do not understand this consistent mindset that Victoria and New South Wales are somehow special or different from the other states and territories. Yes, Sydney and Melbourne are larger cities, but it's just a matter of scale surely? It can't be that much easier to wipe it out in Brisbane, pop. 3 million, than Melbourne, pop. 5 million? (Or New Zealand, also pop. 5 million.)

Anyway it's a genuinely depressing article which says we need to be prepared to be in some kind of lockdown or another through 2021. Which makes me want to try to figure out some way of moving back to WA.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Tommunist posted:

I dont get mask avoidance. Its a literally the easiest thing in the world to comply with. Annecidotal but im seeing similar things when im out walking - lots of people with it down around their neck.

Wearing a mask protects other people ergo gently caress you

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

freebooter posted:

Which makes me want to try to figure out some way of moving back to WA.

gently caress off we're full

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I recommend Qld, we have strong borders, an ALP state gov, and constantly battling the gangs of roving maurauders trying to take our water keeps the ennui away

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

freebooter posted:

...I genuinely do not understand this consistent mindset that Victoria and New South Wales are somehow special or different from the other states and territories. Yes, Sydney and Melbourne are larger cities, but it's just a matter of scale surely? It can't be that much easier to wipe it out in Brisbane, pop. 3 million, than Melbourne, pop. 5 million? (Or New Zealand, also pop. 5 million.)

it never really got out of control in Brisbane ever. there were only ever a few small outbreaks at a time that were quickly contact-traced and totally isolated, so that's a little different to trying to deal with the last remnants of much larger outbreaks. i agree it's quite possible NSW could have completely eliminated it if they'd had restrictions for a little longer. in Victoria this difficult tail seems to be at least partially due to problems with contact tracing especially in health care, problems with PPE, difficulty getting people in high-risk workplaces to isolate when they have symptoms (such as if they're migrant workers not eligible for the payments that are available for most people who have symptoms), etc., at least according to some reports i've seen

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

I said back! I was born and bred! Never mind right now that I hosed off age 20 for the bright lights.

On an actually serious note, though - I wonder how many young people from Perth would have been relatively newly arrived in east coast cities when this kicked off, and subsequently lost their jobs, have zero family support network and can't go back home.

lih posted:

it never really got out of control in Brisbane ever. there were only ever a few small outbreaks at a time that were quickly contact-traced and totally isolated, so that's a little different to trying to deal with the last remnants of much larger outbreaks. i agree it's quite possible NSW could have completely eliminated it if they'd had restrictions for a little longer. in Victoria this difficult tail seems to be at least partially due to problems with contact tracing especially in health care, problems with PPE, difficulty getting people in high-risk workplaces to isolate when they have symptoms (such as if they're migrant workers not eligible for the payments that are available for most people who have symptoms), etc., at least according to some reports i've seen

I thought Sydney did, in fact, more or less eliminate it right before it came back in from Victoria via the Crossroads Hotel? (Although that was a trucker and therefore essential travel, so I guess a closed border wouldn't have made a difference.)

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

GoldStandardConure posted:

:hmmyes:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/chandibates/status/1315861168586584066

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Asked a customer what's on for the rest of this glorious day, their answer was "Oh, I'm going for a covid test" :v:

They're required to do weekly testing for their cross border job but honestly, get hosed dickhead.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

freebooter posted:

I said back! I was born and bred! Never mind right now that I hosed off age 20 for the bright lights.

On an actually serious note, though - I wonder how many young people from Perth would have been relatively newly arrived in east coast cities when this kicked off, and subsequently lost their jobs, have zero family support network and can't go back home.

I thought Sydney did, in fact, more or less eliminate it right before it came back in from Victoria via the Crossroads Hotel? (Although that was a trucker and therefore essential travel, so I guess a closed border wouldn't have made a difference.)

Practically eliminated in Sydney before it spilled over from Victoria yeah

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Did it run over his iCloud backups too?

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I was talking with a friend who works at a servo and they're seeing about 50 customers a day without masks. Or with them pulled under their chin. Or people who walk into the store and then remove their masks.

"Oh I left it in the car" and then doesn't go back for it is apparently the most common excuse they hear.

He was telling me that other sites he knows of are pretty much the same, about 10% of customers just aren't giving a poo poo anymore. The staff at those sites are noting down the number of people without masks to try and take those numbers to their bosses because the rule to not say anything is still in place because the companies don't want to upset customers and make $$$ go down.

And this is outside the metro area in Victoria where the restrictions are incredibly light. It's loving ridiculous.

Some people seem utterly incapable of thinking of anyone except themselves or of anything beyond the immediate moment, no matter what it will cost down the line.

Because for the past half-century our national outlook has been 'she'll be right mate' and somehow we've maintained a functional country, and this is the one time where this laidback approach isn't acceptable. But the whole thing has been written into our DNA, so a few months into this quarantine people are just giving up and telling themselves that it'll probably be OK, they won't get COVID and even if they do they'll probably be asymptomatic and not spread it to anyone they care about.

I've been thinking about something for a while now and I'd like anyone presently in the Melbourne area to ask themselves this: since the beginning of this second lockdown, has your life been noticeably improved as a result of declining cases? Because this is what I'm really worried about : people see cases go down, but there's nothing in it for them. You're still stuck at home, there's a chance you've lost your main source of income, if you still have a job you're likely working less and earning less, you can't do poo poo with your time and money because everything is closed, you're being told by the government that you have to observe all these rules but they expect you to have the means to abide by them. (If masks are necessary then they should be supplied by the state at no cost. If staying indoors is mandatory then housing should be provided and evictions should be illegal. I know that even the most progressive Labor governments would be hesitant, but that's what you need to do in this situation.) You've observed, to the best of your ability, all the guidelines that the state government has placed on you. But cases have not decreased to the degree that was expected or required to loosen restrictions. 'Sorry, you did what we asked but it's still not good enough. Hey, maybe we'll let you have two guests in your house instead of one. Good luck with keeping that house.' You don't even see the fruits of that collective action. What does declining COVID cases look like to the individual, if not just a number on the news?

I think there's a real hesitation, especially in this thread, to ignore or downplay the very real consequences of lockdown because it's the best option we have. The problem is that it's still an awful, alienating and destructive course of action, but the alternative is mass death and despair so we (and I'm guilty of this too) tell ourselves that it's actually good and necessary and that the plan must be followed. Except the plan is only a set of restrictions, a list of things we can't do. And if there's no improvement, not even the short-term promise of improvement, then people will ask why they're obeying these rules. I'm sorry, but we can talk about civic virtue and collective responsibility, but there are real material and social needs that are being starved here, and all that poo poo about civic virtue won't satisfy those needs.

For what it's worth, I believe that this quarantine is necessary. Aside from attending the protests earlier this year, I've not left my home for anything except essential reasons. I think any path towards elimination is the correct one, since I don't expect a vaccine to be readily available... poo poo, maybe not even next year. But I think even our best efforts might not be enough, and at some point enough people will reach a breaking point. And I fear that a country who has lived by 'she'll be right mate' for so long has the willpower to see this awful lockdown through.

Sorry for all the blackpill poo poo, this quarantine is inspiring me to stop lurking.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
My life has gotten worse in numerous ways but overall it has been improved because the odds of drowning in my own fluids has been significantly reduced

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sierra Madre posted:

I've been thinking about something for a while now and I'd like anyone presently in the Melbourne area to ask themselves this: since the beginning of this second lockdown, has your life been noticeably improved as a result of declining cases? Because this is what I'm really worried about : people see cases go down, but there's nothing in it for them. You're still stuck at home, there's a chance you've lost your main source of income, if you still have a job you're likely working less and earning less, you can't do poo poo with your time and money because everything is closed, you're being told by the government that you have to observe all these rules but they expect you to have the means to abide by them. (If masks are necessary then they should be supplied by the state at no cost. If staying indoors is mandatory then housing should be provided and evictions should be illegal. I know that even the most progressive Labor governments would be hesitant, but that's what you need to do in this situation.) You've observed, to the best of your ability, all the guidelines that the state government has placed on you. But cases have not decreased to the degree that was expected or required to loosen restrictions. 'Sorry, you did what we asked but it's still not good enough. Hey, maybe we'll let you have two guests in your house instead of one. Good luck with keeping that house.' You don't even see the fruits of that collective action. What does declining COVID cases look like to the individual, if not just a number on the news?

My partner is immunocompromised and has existing lung damage so we've had to be super careful regardless of what the law says we can do at any given time. Cases being down to these numbers mean we're now comfortable getting takeaway food, takeaway coffee etc. At the very height of the bad numbers I stopped jogging around the park because I didn't feel comfortable even briefly passing that many sweaty, huffing, exhaling, maskless other joggers; I don't feel concerned about that now. We would also feel comfortable now visiting friends and family (at least those who we know are also taking it seriously) but we don't have any within a 5km radius.

I would be taking all this seriously even if I was single, but probably would have spent a fortune on Uber Eats all the way through, and would have still just been going down to Woolies instead of getting groceries delivered and then washing them. But having a partner whose risk of death is something like 90% rather than 0.1% (for people of our age) is a very good way of recognising what sucks about this year as being "the pandemic," not "the lockdown."

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Oh and on a non-personal note schools are back now, which presumably makes a world of difference for parents.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Sierra Madre posted:

Except the plan is only a set of restrictions, a list of things we can't do. And if there's no improvement, not even the short-term promise of improvement, then people will ask why they're obeying these rules.

This is a really good point.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Jordies is at it again.

https://twitter.com/rippinghottakes/status/1315860182333747200

This plus he doesn’t really get why people are upset he’s happy with being featured on Chinese state media.

https://twitter.com/friendlyjordies/status/1315907571887169536

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I heard that Dave Hughes is a Russian assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's been deleted but I remember Jordies making a video praising Sam Dastyari about a year or so before the whole Chinese donation scandal.