Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

The best summary of the RS660 so far done by a UK insurance company of all things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4b_0ENlimE&t=188s

Bennets are absolute cunts when it comes to actually being insurers but they're actually pretty good about biking generally - they sponsor a lot of motorsport, their website has always been a pretty good source of non-bullshit reviews and advice, and they're about the only insurer that will touch a lot of weird exotica.

e: And holy loving poo poo that's a lot of bike for the cash

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that p-twin sounds way better than I was expecting, and yes it does look like a ton of bike for the money

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did we get a decent look at the handlebars? Are they comfort-raised like on any of the current 650s or more lower clip-ons? I haven’t seen a clear shot of them that I can find.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Martytoof posted:

Did we get a decent look at the handlebars? Are they comfort-raised like on any of the current 650s or more lower clip-ons? I haven’t seen a clear shot of them that I can find.

kind of in between

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They're in between. They're clip-on style but the mounting point is forged into the triple clamp, instead of being an actually clipped on below. It's similar to an RC390. I'm not sure exactly what your Ninja 650 has because I see a couple different setups when searching.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely shorter than the Ninja.

Looks like a good compromise between clipons and risers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
$11,299 on the price of the RS660. They are going to sell well.

Adjustable Ohlins rear shock is $1113
Akra exhaust is $1484
Aluminum mirrors is $186
Aprilia MIA (link to smartphone) is $176

A 2020 R6 is $12,199 in comparison although it's a somewhat different market for that true supersport.
Ninja 650 ABS is $7,799-$8,199.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 15, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's a damned good price. I thought it would be a grand or two higher than the supersports due to :italy: passion and soul

e: The 890 Duke R is $10,699. I hope they make a Tuono 660

FBS fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 15, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

$11,299 on the price of the RS660. They are going to sell well.

Adjustable Ohlins rear shock is $1113
Akra exhaust is $1484
Aluminum mirrors is $186
Aprilia MIA (link to smartphone) is $176

So it's 14,258 with all those accessories, or do they come standard?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Coydog posted:

So it's 14,258 with all those accessories, or do they come standard?
Those are the optional accessories so it's 14k+ with them. 11,299 does not come with those.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Also cruise control is an option too I think? That's what I think I caught in the Bennet's video which definitely makes that bike really loving interesting to me.

But really I should probably just look at one of the new bonneville families since I can't ride for poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's strange how now that we have (good) fly by wire throttles, everyone was very quick to implement up/down QS functions, electronic engine braking and TC, yet cruise control is still a bridge too far for most brands.

I mean the s1000rr had cruise control right from the get go, it's been a decade now, what the gently caress.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
Anyone owned one of those Yamaha VStar 1300 things? I'm infected with the N+1 syndrome. I really am pining for a lazy bike but I don't want to deal with Harley BS. Thinking 3k in and just riding the hell out of it for a few years.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It's strange how now that we have (good) fly by wire throttles, everyone was very quick to implement up/down QS functions, electronic engine braking and TC, yet cruise control is still a bridge too far for most brands.

I mean the s1000rr had cruise control right from the get go, it's been a decade now, what the gently caress.

Even when it's offered, it's some loving Konami code of interlocks to enable and set it, that you can't even do once you're moving (looking at you, triumph tiger).

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oceanlife posted:

Anyone owned one of those Yamaha VStar 1300 things? I'm infected with the N+1 syndrome. I really am pining for a lazy bike but I don't want to deal with Harley BS. Thinking 3k in and just riding the hell out of it for a few years.

I've ridden one a bunch lately for an acquaintance. It's fun but taught me that cruisers are ungainly pigs that aren't that comfortable. Still, for N+1 at a cheap price point, I think it's a solid bike. Plenty of torque, nice sound, looks good.

Do you want a lazy bike or just a cruiser you can lazily ride?

DR650 is hands down the laziest most comfortable and capable bike I've ridden. Super chill.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder whether the RS660 will be granted a more lenient insurance category not being a true supersport.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Coydog posted:

I've ridden one a bunch lately for an acquaintance. It's fun but taught me that cruisers are ungainly pigs that aren't that comfortable. Still, for N+1 at a cheap price point, I think it's a solid bike. Plenty of torque, nice sound, looks good.

Do you want a lazy bike or just a cruiser you can lazily ride?

DR650 is hands down the laziest most comfortable and capable bike I've ridden. Super chill.

I want to point the bike straight on a high way and go for 2 hours to wherever and then point the bike straight and go back for 2 hours. All while being completely comfortable. Rolling couch is what I'm looking for. The laziest of all couches.

E: Also be at the bottom of the depreciation curve so I can mentally play "well the bank isn't paying interest" justification game with my self.

e2: I have never ridden the DRZ-650, I'll go to a bike shop and try and ride one sometime.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oceanlife posted:

I want to point the bike straight on a high way and go for 2 hours to wherever and then point the bike straight and go back for 2 hours. All while being completely comfortable. Rolling couch is what I'm looking for. The laziest of all couches.

E: Also be at the bottom of the depreciation curve so I can mentally play "well the bank isn't paying interest" justification game with my self.

e2: I have never ridden the DRZ-650, I'll go to a bike shop and try and ride one sometime.

Honda Shadow or VTX?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Honda Shadow or VTX?

Valkyrie if he can find one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oceanlife posted:

You're describing a touring bike, cruisers are neither comfortable nor good for long motorway trips, most of the time. You're fully exposed to the wind and the seating position is very fatiguing. You can pick up an oldwing or similar for next to nothing atm.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

You're describing a touring bike, cruisers are neither comfortable nor good for long motorway trips, most of the time. You're fully exposed to the wind and the seating position is very fatiguing. You can pick up an oldwing or similar for next to nothing atm.

Yeah, seems like goldwing is the real easy answer here.

e: was just looking on craigslist and holy poo poo look at that speedo
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/d/hawthorne-1975-honda-goldwing-gl1000/7191221053.html

builds character fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 16, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

builds character posted:

Yeah, seems like goldwing is the real easy answer here.

e: was just looking on craigslist and holy poo poo look at that speedo
https://newjersey.craigslist.org/for/d/hawthorne-1975-honda-goldwing-gl1000/7191221053.html

"don't need to sell it so don't waste my time with silly offers!" $4k for a 40+year old bike w/ mismatched paint and duct tape patching rotten seat vinyl. Sure thing!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can we talk about Goldwing and Honda pricing for a moment? My local Facebook marketplace is littered with sub-$1000, sub-50k mile goldwings all day long. A bike that no matter the year is a technological tour de force and a bike that you could literally get on and ride around the whole rear end planet.

It’s also littered with half finished CB750 cafe conversions with no title, no paint, whitewalls and half of the parts in a Tupperware box. The owners of these bikes have the balls, the otherworldly audacity to ask like $3500 for them

Because cafe racer.

As someone who has been anti-cafe racer from day one, gently caress all of them and gently caress the giant crater they left in the used bike market for anything 70’s Honda that isn’t a scooter or a later Goldwing (the 1000cc goldwings are expensive too because guess what they can be turned into?).

This is probably better served in the ranting thread but I’m fired up because I’m looking for another sohc cb750 and they’re approaching “mid-2000’s sport bike” costs

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Counterpoint: Oldwings are a scourge upon this earth and the sooner they disappear the better.

I feel this way about most things from the 70s, honestly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m looking for another sohc cb750 and they’re approaching “mid-2000’s sport bike” costs

I wish I had bought one of the many early/mid 70s CB750s for sale back in the late 90s/early 00s when I was in highschool. In the midwest, a vintage japanese bike that didn't look like a harley or a ninja didn't have much resale value at the time. This was pre instagram and the cafe uprise. I always liked CBs. I still kick myself for not buying the $1500 76 CB750 that was orange and in incredible shape. Old guy bought it new, had less than 7k miles on it, and just didn't ride it anymore. At the time I was making $5/hour and $1500 seemed impossible.

I'll probably still buy one at some point. I've thought about trying to restore one but I'm not sure I'm up to it yet. I need to buy a house with a garage/workshop first.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Coydog posted:

Counterpoint: Oldwings are a scourge upon this earth and the sooner they disappear the better.

You’re going to be waiting a long time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If that speedo was 36mm wide and had a NATO strap it would shut down the wristwatch thread in YLLS

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can we talk about Goldwing and Honda pricing for a moment? My local Facebook marketplace is littered with sub-$1000, sub-50k mile goldwings all day long. A bike that no matter the year is a technological tour de force and a bike that you could literally get on and ride around the whole rear end planet.

It’s also littered with half finished CB750 cafe conversions with no title, no paint, whitewalls and half of the parts in a Tupperware box. The owners of these bikes have the balls, the otherworldly audacity to ask like $3500 for them

Because cafe racer.

As someone who has been anti-cafe racer from day one, gently caress all of them and gently caress the giant crater they left in the used bike market for anything 70’s Honda that isn’t a scooter or a later Goldwing (the 1000cc goldwings are expensive too because guess what they can be turned into?).

This is probably better served in the ranting thread but I’m fired up because I’m looking for another sohc cb750 and they’re approaching “mid-2000’s sport bike” costs

It drives me loving crazy, especially now that all the old i4's have been used up (here at least) so even poxy CX' and the various i2's are stupid price now.

Coydog posted:

Sideburns
Bell-bottoms
Moustaches
The eagles

Checks out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Style is cyclical, like humanities taste for goldwings

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I spent way too much time riding a crappy 80s Nighthawk 450 back in the day. I have very little nostalgia for the old UJMs. The only old bikes I like are the old race homologation specials.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The positive qualities of old UJM's:

- put together by sober people, following instructions that make sense, out of the correct parts and materials
- leak and break down 1000x less often than any other bike of the time, which means they're rideable 80% of the time
- are designed so that they can be repaired by everyone, not just heavily bearded shedmen in the uk

That's it I think.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Verman posted:

I wish I had bought one of the many early/mid 70s CB750s for sale back in the late 90s/early 00s when I was in highschool. In the midwest, a vintage japanese bike that didn't look like a harley or a ninja didn't have much resale value at the time. This was pre instagram and the cafe uprise. I always liked CBs. I still kick myself for not buying the $1500 76 CB750 that was orange and in incredible shape. Old guy bought it new, had less than 7k miles on it, and just didn't ride it anymore. At the time I was making $5/hour and $1500 seemed impossible.

I'll probably still buy one at some point. I've thought about trying to restore one but I'm not sure I'm up to it yet. I need to buy a house with a garage/workshop first.

I bought a SOHC CB750 back in the day for $250. Fixed it up rode it for a while and sold it for $750 thinking if I wanted another one, I could always get one.

Now I want another one, and little did I know clubman bars and a global pandemic would drive their prices through the roof

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

I love you too, man

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy
rolled up to a Harley meet at the local dealership. 2002 Dyno whatever was for sale for $4999 and was tempted. Great crowd and I get how the "lifestyle" sucks people in. Few guys stood around my bike commenting on it but seemed polite when I talked to them.

I'll probably not get anything. But not a bad time.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Showing up to a hog meetup in a "crotch rocket" bold decision. My Harley dealership is also a triumph and even just rolling up I get looks.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Put my bike away for this season for now, gonna see if it warms up or stays dry and I might take it out. The 2007 DL650 has been an excellent bike for me, really love it. Ive got 20k km on the odo for this season on it.

Does anyone have experiences with the new DL1000 if theyre as reliable? Ive been thinking of upgrading.

Also my dad is telling me to get a harley as well so I can join him going to the European rallies, if they happen. So if you had to get a Harley, what would it be? The only one right now I really have my eye on is the X1200XR. What about Buells?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Put my bike away for this season for now, gonna see if it warms up or stays dry and I might take it out. The 2007 DL650 has been an excellent bike for me, really love it. Ive got 20k km on the odo for this season on it.

Does anyone have experiences with the new DL1000 if theyre as reliable? Ive been thinking of upgrading.

Also my dad is telling me to get a harley as well so I can join him going to the European rallies, if they happen. So if you had to get a Harley, what would it be? The only one right now I really have my eye on is the X1200XR. What about Buells?

The DL1000 is also very reliable as it hasn't changed in like 20 years.

The XR1200X is the king of the Harleys for sure but it's rare. I don't know if parts are hard to get but it's got quite a number of model-specific parts, also in the engine. As someone who's had a Buell for a number of years: you need to know what you're getting into, they're an enthusiast's bike. They have their specific foibles (due to bad engineering mostly), parts are hard to get, not many people can work on them. Riding them is an acquired taste too, you've got a limited rev range to work with.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just get a road king, the newer the better. I bought a retired police version at the auction, rode for 6 months, then sold it for more than I've spent on the bike plus maintenance and repairs. They are infinitely adjustable and customizable bikes, maneuverable enough once you get moving.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Because cafe racer.

I haven't seen a CB750 that wasn't an overpriced horror show in at least 2 years....while beautiful pieces of 70's and 80's Japanese Hanzo steel go unbought and unloved (yes I am talking about the Goldwing!)

In 2020, it makes zero sense to even look at a 750 unless your grandpa is giving you one for free. The CB750 was never a sportbike, are quite heavy, and not that great to ride. Nobody cares about cb750 cachet anymore and even thinking about building a cafe racer is at best going to get you laughed at and at worst you end up with a pile of parts worth less than their sum. The only CB750's now with any value are the survivors, especially the old sand-cast ones. If you just want to buy an older reliable bike to tinker around with and potentially destroy but not really give a bunch of shits about you cannot beat a Goldwing. People are literally giving away parts for them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I liked my CB750 and I know it wasn’t a sport bike a s yeah it was heavy but it was fun to ride and I enjoyed it.

As the new bike thread so accurately states: I’ll probably not get anything.