Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

everdave posted:

And I’ll just go ahead and say it. I don’t talk politics and I accept and support all people but y’all make it terrifying to be a Christian person who goes to church. Seriously would y’all do that to some car weirdo who is Muslim?

People get down on the church for the same basic reason as people who hate on Muslims - because a few bad eggs make all the noise. I got no problems with any religion except where certain groups twist the various scriptures to suit their agenda. For example, religion has no place dictating what goes on between a woman and her reproductive doctor. If you don’t want an abortion, that’s fine, but don’t you dare get in the way of non-believers seeking medical treatment.

There’s other problems of course like they way money grubbing mega churches prey on their members, with families in poverty subsidising new luxury cars and jewellery for the minister and his wife. Churches should clean up their own house before preaching morals to the rest of us.

If you have faith, that’s fine, good for you and I hope it helps, just remember faith doesn’t trump fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I loathe mega churches and the like, and those who prey on people agreed. I’m way beyond not a good person but the churches I’ve went to and go to I’ve never paid a cent to and I’ve had the best food ever and a place to go when I felt hopeless. I don’t talk religion if you are atheist or whatever I’m certainly not gonna talk on the car forums to change your mind.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

I don’t talk religion if you are atheist or whatever I’m certainly not gonna talk on the car forums to change your mind.
And yet, here you are...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

There’s other problems of course like they way money grubbing mega churches prey on their members, with families in poverty subsidising new luxury cars and jewellery for the minister and his wife. Churches should clean up their own house before preaching morals to the rest of us.

Prosperity Doctrine has much to answer for.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Krakkles posted:

And yet, here you are...

And yet I said I don’t give a poo poo about what anyone believes so gently caress you is that good enough?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

And yet I said I don’t give a poo poo about what anyone believes so gently caress you is that good enough?
You brought it up and you sure seem to have an opinion about it.

Literally no one else was talking about it and you brought the “poor persecuted Christian” routine in.

While talking about how you’ve brandished a gun at least twice.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 13, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Never don't post a project thread. Bring it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BuckyDoneGun posted:

People get down on the church for the same basic reason as people who hate on Muslims - because a few bad eggs make all the noise. I got no problems with any religion except where certain groups twist the various scriptures to suit their agenda. For example, religion has no place dictating what goes on between a woman and her reproductive doctor. If you don’t want an abortion, that’s fine, but don’t you dare get in the way of non-believers seeking medical treatment.

If you have faith, that’s fine, good for you and I hope it helps, just remember faith doesn’t trump fact.

America has a big problem with faith.

I spent years in high school working with a Catholic charity for my Senior Project (required to do x amount of charity work+a report on it for graduation) and that charity helped thousands of homeless people in that time.

That being said, that charity shouldn't have to exist, basic needs should be covered by taxes and the government.

And "prosperity gospel" churches that are preaching literal heresy to Jesus's word? The man who said "it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God". gently caress them, gently caress their campaign to spite Jesus's word by electing shitheads who pass laws that hurt the poor. If there's a heaven, they sure as poo poo ain't ending up in it.

That being said, lots of awesome Christians in this country helping people and being inclusive, they often don't get enough credit.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
everdave continues to be my favourite poster itt

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Be kind. Listen and show understanding, even if you're faking it. The only way we get through this is by thinking and responding with thought-out answers, not allowing our stupid reptilian brains to burn it all down.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
My kid has been waking up between 4 and 6:30 for the last I dunno 5 days. :shepicide: :negative:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Just rewatched Wall Street and it had me wondering if yuppies are even still a thing. I live in GA and never see anyone like that even in the city.

Also on the religion thing, you guys should read Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.

Towards the end of the Screwtape letters he suggests that the devil's most successful trick was corrupting the church and getting people to worship Satan while they think they're worshipping God.

I would consider myself to be a Christian and I pray and meditate everyday, but I don't go to church. I was thinking about it before Covid but for now I'm happy with my own understanding of it tbh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Backing up a bit

I may not want or like kids but lunch debts at schools honks me the gently caress off.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Rhyno posted:

Backing up a bit

I may not want or like kids but lunch debts at schools honks me the gently caress off.

In Georgia they feed the kids the same food they feed prisoners (or at least that was the case when I was in school in the 90s).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

64bit_Dophins posted:

In Georgia they feed the kids the same food they feed prisoners (or at least that was the case when I was in school in the 90s).

That also makes me mad!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Wrar posted:

My kid has been waking up between 4 and 6:30 for the last I dunno 5 days. :shepicide: :negative:

i keep thinkin that when i have kids i am gonna be thankful for being a morning person but i am sure there will be some way that it gets turned against me

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Also on the religion thing, you guys should read Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis.

Towards the end of the Screwtape letters he suggests that the devil's most successful trick was corrupting the church and getting people to worship Satan while they think they're worshipping God.

It's doubly amusing when you realise The Satanic Temple itself is actually a lot more inline with what Jesus' teachings were and would be in the modern age.

quote:

I
One should strive to act with compassion and empathy toward all creatures in accordance with reason.

II
The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.

III
One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.

IV
The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

V
Beliefs should conform to one's best scientific understanding of the world. One should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit one's beliefs.

VI
People are fallible. If one makes a mistake, one should do one's best to rectify it and resolve any harm that might have been caused.

VII
Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wrar posted:

Don't worry, when they're a pre-teen/teenager they'll sleep all day :v:

Just went down a youtube rabbit hole of "The Joe Pesci Show" and it it was hilarious. I miss the old SNL :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I know this definitely isn’t how it is, and both are getting terrible food, but treating our prison population better is definitely something that should be done! Should have good healthy food for both of those groups! (Also neither should be billed for it!)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My wife shows me stuff from current SNL occasionally and I don't laugh, she thinks I am broken but I point out that it isn't funny.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

TheBacon posted:

So I know this definitely isn’t how it is, and both are getting terrible food, but treating our prison population better is definitely something that should be done! Should have good healthy food for both of those groups! (Also neither should be billed for it!)

A guy I work with got caught going way over the speed limit and had to go to court. They gave him the option of a huge fine or a few nights in prison and were apparently quite surprised when he didn't take the prison option.

I think you can just do your jail time at weekends so it doesn't get in the way of your job.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

knox_harrington posted:

A guy I work with got caught going way over the speed limit and had to go to court. They gave him the option of a huge fine or a few nights in prison and were apparently quite surprised when he didn't take the prison option.

I think you can just do your jail time at weekends so it doesn't get in the way of your job.

Speaking of prison/jail as choices, I am on court record saying I would have rather gone to jail for a week than be on the jury I was on. Also in general jail is a lot worse than prison because it’s a much more temporary facility.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

TheBacon posted:

Agreed. I honestly don't remember where I heard that. Maybe the same company that supplied food for prisons also provided food for public schools in GA or something? I'm not entirely sure but either way yeah they should not have to pay for it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's doubly amusing when you realise The Satanic Temple itself is actually a lot more inline with what Jesus' teachings were and would be in the modern age.

A basic social contract is going to make it so alot of the core values that human beings have remain the same across all religions, ideologies and philosophies. Whether people follow that social contract is another matter. :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

64bit_Dophins posted:

Agreed. I honestly don't remember where I heard that. Maybe the same company that supplied food for prisons also provided food for public schools in GA or something? I'm not entirely sure but either way yeah they should not have to pay for it.

Probably heard it right after you learned about Marilyn Manson having some ribs taken out.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Agreed.

The satanists were moralists fr.

I don't think that's what CS Lewis meant by that really. He just meant that through the lens of a corrupted institution, many people are actually praying for human suffering, destruction, chaos, greed etc when they really think that they are praying for good will and love etc etc.

From what I can tell that is definitely true for many of the prosperity gospel, trump supporting mega churches that I have seen.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

StormDrain posted:

Probably heard it right after you learned about Marilyn Manson having some ribs taken out.

Wait... so that was a lie too?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Mega Churches, false prophets the whole bible beaters can go burn in hell. I go to a church of Christ church now when I can with the kids kind of weird that they dont allow music but you can sing whatever. I am southern baptist and if you go to a church that makes you feel bad you are in the wrong place. Believe me I’ve ate enough potlucks and chili dinners where I am surprised they can pay rent. And the local CoC has awesome Halloween trunk or treat for the kids. I am equal walking distance to 2 bars and 2 churches. Shameful I spend more time in the bars it’s just good to be there at church whatever. It’s not for everybody and guess what that is perfectly fine but if anyone ever wants to visit we can drive Japanese cars and go to church with hangovers.

This might not happen but...preparing you I might... get to drive a testarossa this week and film a drag race with my Atrai kei turbo against it... it’s I the works I can’t make promises but it looks like it is going to happen

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

Wait... so that was a lie too?

To quote the man himself "That was too much work, so I got a girlfriend instead."

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

64bit_Dophins posted:

Agreed.

The satanists were moralists fr.

I don't think that's what CS Lewis meant by that really. He just meant that through the lens of a corrupted institution, many people are actually praying for human suffering, destruction, chaos, greed etc when they really think that they are praying for good will and love etc etc.

From what I can tell that is definitely true for many of the prosperity gospel, trump supporting mega churches that I have seen.

I'm sure this was mentioned up-thread but I've literally seen Christians argue that the famous quote from Jesus himself "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" actually had nothing to do with stacks of gold but that instead that the eye of a needle meant an actual physical gate into a city which was too small for a camel or some other loving nonsense. Like just say you love money, don't try to twist what is an insanely simple and easy to understand metaphor... It's the constant twisting of meaning that's so incredibly prevalent in all the weird versions of US Christianity that don't exist elsewhere. At one point there was loving mentalists running round with snakes and poo poo and I for sure saw some dickheads healing people and pushing them about with the spirit... At what point do you look at this and go "yo, this is loving STUPID" ?

Anyway I leave you with the video of the kind of church I'd actually attend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-HgBrVLv5I

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

everdave posted:

This might not happen but...preparing you I might... get to drive a testarossa this week and film a drag race with my Atrai kei turbo against it... it’s I the works I can’t make promises but it looks like it is going to happen

Is this one of your sex metaphors again? Because if so, I don't want to know what the latter part means :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd hazard a guess homelessness and mental illness are both symptoms of the end result of capitalism.

I'd buy that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that mental illness is the sole cause of homelessness, or that all homeless people are mentally ill. That mainly applies to the chronically homeless folks. Mental care in the US sucks, and mental illness is stigmatized a lot. That said, once one is homeless, it starts a difficult-to-escape cycle. Tough to get a job when you don't have a home address or phone number, tough to get a home if you don't have a job, repeat.

quote:

E: just watched Kung Fu hustle and feel I should have tidied the garage and not wasted my time instead.

Hey, I *liked* Kung Fu Hustle. Just as pure silly fun, mind you - don't look for deep meaning or life solutions.

Reuben Sandwich posted:

Well A.I., I'm going to start trying to get my father's '31 Model A coupe rolling again. Would people be interested in the long term affair or is it too old?

Do it. Old is fine. Eventually my thread will go a little older with my '70 Cutlass. I hope.

McTinkerson posted:

Never to old. :justpost:

[I am biased, I want to build a '29 T-Bucket with a 13B]

You have my interest.

Re: religion. I was born and raised Catholic, and I guess still nominally am, but lapsed. As far as Christian institutions go, in my experience, the Catholic church is closer to the actual message of the New Testament than most I've seen, what with the caring for the poor, priests living in austerity for the most part, the churches not being *too* ostentatious (cathedrals aside, I guess), etc. The problems with priests and kids is very concerning, to say the least, but I think that's being rooted out. Having a Jesuit as pope is awesome. He's a practical guy.
I still don't go to church, or pray much, really. My brain doesn't really work that way (touch of Aspie,) but I won't denigrate anyone who believes, provided they walk the walk if they're going to quote the talk at me. "Prosperity Gospel" can just gently caress right off, and "Christian Trump Supporter" is an oxymoron.

Also: CSB, you are a very interesting person. I'm so plain vanilla (I'm pretty much literally as white as it gets without being Scandinavian) it hurts.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Today I learned something.
That's sobering.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm sure this was mentioned up-thread but I've literally seen Christians argue that the famous quote from Jesus himself "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven" actually had nothing to do with stacks of gold but that instead that the eye of a needle meant an actual physical gate into a city which was too small for a camel or some other loving nonsense. Like just say you love money, don't try to twist what is an insanely simple and easy to understand metaphor... It's the constant twisting of meaning that's so incredibly prevalent in all the weird versions of US Christianity that don't exist elsewhere. At one point there was loving mentalists running round with snakes and poo poo and I for sure saw some dickheads healing people and pushing them about with the spirit... At what point do you look at this and go "yo, this is loving STUPID" ?

Anyway I leave you with the video of the kind of church I'd actually attend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-HgBrVLv5I

I've seen that explanation of the "eye of a needle", as well. Not a clue as to veracity, but it does smell like waffling.
And human, especially Americans', ability to embrace stupid is amazing. We can do cognitive dissonance like no one else.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

My wife shows me stuff from current SNL occasionally and I don't laugh, she thinks I am broken but I point out that it isn't funny.

I want to say that SNL hasnt been funny for 20 years but it's probably been longer than that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

everdave posted:

Is it a Testarossa or a 512 TR cuz the former is a bit poo poo and latter a much nicer car to drive

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Is it a Testarossa or a 512 TR cuz the former is a bit poo poo and latter a much nicer car to drive

Interesting, I've never even heard of the 512 TR so I had to look it up. I don't think we ever got those in the states, did we? So it would have to be the former and even tho it's a bit poo poo it's still one of Ferrari's best designs imo.

[e] looks like we did get them, never knew there were different generations of the Testarossa that's pretty cool, there's also a third gen F512 M that look to be pretty rare.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 13, 2020

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah the tongues and snakes thing is completely insane. I really don't understand how people get brought into that stuff but whatever.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Brief jump into the religion chat. I was raised Baptist. Went full atheist for a long time. Consider myself agnostic today, but occasionally attend a Unitarian Universalist church (with COVID, it's been via FB Live), and have been (off and on) for several years now. The one near my first place in the Austin area didn't quite feel right for me, but the big UU church in Austin feels like home (there's a third here that I haven't been to). The one near where I went to university near DFW was pretty great.

They don't judge, they don't care what religion you are, what you're wearing (serious, people went to the one by my university in tank tops and shorts), what your hair color is. Just show up, say hi, hang out a bit, learn a bit about every religion. I think it's pretty great to learn about everything from Catholicism to Paganism in one place.

tl;dr don't judge others lest you be judged

meatpimp posted:

Virtually none of us ever even SEE rich people. The people that you see driving Ferraris or Rolls Royces? Not rich. Maybe mega-millionaires. FIFTY NINE people in the US own over HALF of the wealth. We are all various shades of poor in comparison.

Jeff Bezos is supposedly driving a 1996 (or 97?) Honda Accord that he's had forever (as cheap as Amazon is in every way, this doesn't surprise me one bit). Mark Zuckerberg used to drive a Honda Fit, apparently his daily is an Acura TSX now. Michael Bloomberg drives a Suburban. Warren Buffet drives a 14 year old CTS.

The only standout out of the 5 richest people in the US (from the list I found) is Bill Gates, he has a couple of Porches, a Tesla, and a Corvette. Nothing exactly exotic except for one of the Porches (959).

Bezos is one of the richest people in the world, if not the richest. He didn't get there by driving expensive cars (in fact I'd bet he bought that Accord used when Amazon IPO'd).

Of course, these guys are all rich enough to have a car collection of some kind; Zuck has a Golf GTI and a Pagani in addition to the TSX, Bloomberg has an R8, Gates has at least 4 cars. But the richest people are driving pretty pedestrian cars overall.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Interesting, I've never even heard of the 512 TR so I had to look it up. I don't think we ever got those in the states, did we? So it would have to be the former and even tho it's a bit poo poo it's still one of Ferrari's best designs imo.

[e] looks like we did get them, never knew there were different generations of the Testarossa that's pretty cool, there's also a third gen F512 M that look to be pretty rare.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

STR posted:

The only standout out of the 5 richest people in the US (from the list I found) is Bill Gates, he has a couple of Porches, a Tesla, and a Corvette. Nothing exactly exotic except for one of the Porches (959).

But also the thing about that 959, he literally paid for lobby to be able to have it here. The entire reason Show and Display exists is because Bill wanted a 959 heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Darchangel posted:

Hey, I *liked* Kung Fu Hustle. Just as pure silly fun, mind you - don't look for deep meaning or life solutions.

I've seen that explanation of the "eye of a needle", as well. Not a clue as to veracity, but it does smell like waffling.

I think I probably simply wasn't in the mood.

And I watched a program that put forward the theory that a rich man commissioned an ornate stone gate (named the needle) into a city specifically so that he could rules layer his way into heaven.