Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I recently got a bottle of pearl river bridge dark soy sauce. Is it supposed to smell very pungent, and almost acrid? I noticed a comment on Amazon complaining about the smell that suggested it is a counterfeit product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

There Bias Two posted:

I recently got a bottle of pearl river bridge dark soy sauce. Is it supposed to smell very pungent, and almost acrid? I noticed a comment on Amazon complaining about the smell that suggested it is a counterfeit product.
Mine always smells normal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I can't think of any particular smell with dark soy other than... soy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

There Bias Two posted:

Toss it. Plenty of soy sauce left on Earth.

That's happened to me, too, but I doubt it was a counterfeit product, since I bought it at the nice grocery store in town. It was just a really poo poo bottle and we bought another and it was fine.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I don't know if it's the same as what you got, but a few months ago I brought a bottle of pearl river bridge dark soy that had a really overpowering taste of black treacle. Looking it up on Google, there's a recognised type of dark soy called double black soy that contains a lot of molasses, so maybe that's what it is?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Jo Joestar posted:

I don't know if it's the same as what you got, but a few months ago I brought a bottle of pearl river bridge dark soy that had a really overpowering taste of black treacle. Looking it up on Google, there's a recognised type of dark soy called double black soy that contains a lot of molasses, so maybe that's what it is?

Hmm yeah I do kinda get that black treacle flavor from it.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
I bought a pack of what are described on the package as "Chinese style sausages". Made from pork, grain alcohol, and soy sauce. They are the long thin ones, not little stubby sausages. Any ideas of what to use them for? I have most the standard condiments/pantry supplies.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My mom would dice and put them in fried rice (though she would eventually succumb to using hot dogs instead)

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
"Succumbed to the Hot Dogs" is either the best or worst title for a romance novel I have ever heard.

e: oh poo poo it scans to "Down With the Sickness"

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

UnkleBoB posted:

I bought a pack of what are described on the package as "Chinese style sausages". Made from pork, grain alcohol, and soy sauce. They are the long thin ones, not little stubby sausages. Any ideas of what to use them for? I have most the standard condiments/pantry supplies.

Are they dried/cured?

If they are then they should have a really good flavor and can be pretty versatile. If you make any rice dish you can slice and add for flavor. You could also to the same thing for veggie dishes, stews... I wouldn't necessarily do soups but it's not unheard of. You can also add them to fillings for buns, dumplings, omelettes... hell, throw them into kolaches or tacos or even ravioli.

One of my favorites is to use them for clay pot rice.

EDIT: Also one of the "duh" simple things to do is just... steam them, then slice and eat plain.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Amergin posted:

Are they dried/cured?

If they are then they should have a really good flavor and can be pretty versatile. If you make any rice dish you can slice and add for flavor. You could also to the same thing for veggie dishes, stews... I wouldn't necessarily do soups but it's not unheard of. You can also add them to fillings for buns, dumplings, omelettes... hell, throw them into kolaches or tacos or even ravioli.

One of my favorites is to use them for clay pot rice.

EDIT: Also one of the "duh" simple things to do is just... steam them, then slice and eat plain.

yea, they're the dried kind. making some rice tonight to make fried rice with. might cook some up and cut them thin for some congee, too

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

made the congee. i really liked the flavor of the sausages.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

UnkleBoB posted:

made the congee. i really liked the flavor of the sausages.

Feel free to throw them into rice before you cook it too to give the rice flavor. Add a little fat from bacon/duck/whatever and some bay leaves and you have a meal right there (with some vegetables added).

EDIT: Also take a picture of the brand if you like them since the flavor profile for Chinese sausages can vary WILDLY. I'm a huge fan of the sweeter kind but if you forget the ones you like, you'll end up buying something funky and be very sad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah do note what kind they are. I get burned by those sweet ones, they're maybe the most revolting food in the world to me. Sichuan style or the non-sweet Cantonese are ace, but that sweet Taiwanese poo poo makes me dry heave to even smell it. Not sure why I react so strongly but... no.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Oh, that's interesting. I thought all of those dried, shelf-stable Chinese sausages were sweet and that was just how they are. I will have to look more closely at some ingredient list next time I'm at an Asian market.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've been making dry pot as a way to go through random garden/CSA veg, and using packaged hot pot base as a shortcut when I just want to throw poo poo together for a weeknight dinner. And LGM hot pot base is waaaay better than Little Sheep or Spicy King.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

marshalljim posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I thought all of those dried, shelf-stable Chinese sausages were sweet and that was just how they are. I will have to look more closely at some ingredient list next time I'm at an Asian market.

Ingredients list might help but a lot of the flavor differences will be rolled up in "seasoning" or "flavoring" that might not give you the best idea. Honestly IMHO your best bet is to learn which regional style you like and just look for that (and/or memorize your favorite brand).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

My (irish, late 60s not a keen cook) mother became a vegan a few years ago and to be a helpful daughter, I came up with a few recipes that are both vegan and tasty for her. One of her favourites is a fried noodle+ veg recipe, that's probably insanely inauthentic but really very tasty.
Anyway, a few weeks ago she asked my to make her up a batch because 'it tastes better when you make it" AKA she gets distracted every drat time and overcooks the veg. Feeling experimental, I tweaked it a bit and added some maggi sauce from the chinese supermarket, which as far as I know is basically liquid MSG. Anyway she RAVED about those noodles and kept asking what I'd done differently, so I told her it's MSG.

She used to be one of those MSG=Poison people and now? Now she wants all the MSG she can get :) She adores laoganma too - buys those giant jars two at a time just in case she runs out.

edit: these big rear end jars:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 11, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i had a colleague who was into essential oils and was really big on eating healthy, and also very anti-msg. Annoyed but this I sorta ruined his life when I showed him some studies and stuff about glutamate and how stuff like seaweed and parmesan cheese (both of which he ate a lot of) is packed with it.

I assumed he'd read the studies and realize MSG is just sodium+glutamate but instead he just cut out eating things high in glutamate and hated me for it.

whoops!!!

also I had no idea laoganma was vegan. I guess cuz I usually buy the one made with beef fat....

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Start sending him those meme pictures listing all the chemicals in various fruits and see if he'll still eat them.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Magna Kaser posted:

I assumed he'd read the studies and realize MSG is just sodium+glutamate but instead he just cut out eating things high in glutamate and hated me for it.

It's in everything.

quote:

Names of ingredients that always contain MfG:

Glutamic acid (E 620) *2
Glutamate (E 620)
Monosodium glutamate (E 621)
Monopotassium glutamate (E 622)
Calcium glutamate (E 623)
Monoammonium glutamate (E 624)
Magnesium glutamate (E 625)
Natrium glutamate
Anything “hydrolyzed”
Any “hydrolyzed protein”
Calcium caseinate, Sodium caseinate
Yeast extract, Torula yeast
Yeast food, Yeast nutrient
Autolyzed yeast
Gelatin
Textured protein
Whey protein
Whey protein concentrate
Whey protein isolate
Soy protein
Soy protein concentrate
Soy protein isolate
Anything “protein”
Anything “protein fortified”
Soy sauce
Soy sauce extract
Protease
Anything “enzyme modified”
Anything containing “enzymes”
Anything “fermented”
Vetsin
Ajinomoto
Umami
Zinc proteninate
Names of ingredients that often contain or produce MfG during processing:
Carrageenan (E 407)
Bouillon and broth
Stock
Any “flavors” or “flavoring”
Natural flavor
Maltodextrin
Oligodextrin
Citric acid, Citrate (E 330)
Anything “ultra-pasteurized”
Barley malt
Malted barley
Brewer’s yeast
Pectin (E 440)
Malt extract

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I feel like I’m still having this discussion with people around me too. The easiest way I’ve had convincing people is that you take a bunch of kelp seaweed and make a soup, then purify the soup and dehydrate the liquid into the MSG compound. As soon as that basic process is understood than all that 80’s racism and fear disappears pretty quickly. When the basic process is pretty close to refining sea salt, there’s not much room for argument. Until they tell me they’re allergic which is when I tell them to stop eating tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, and mushrooms.

Basically, people are dumb.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SubG posted:

I've been making dry pot ... LGM hot pot base is waaaay better than Little Sheep or Spicy King.

How do I make this

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

droll posted:

It's in everything.

i realize that. i just picked some high glutamate foods this dude liked as specific examples. im sure he didn't research it more lest he become unable to stomach everything in the world.

in actual cookin news i made mapo tofu this morning which I guess is vegan

used mushrooms cuz I didn't have beef and added some extra doubanjiang and douchi and it came out p good. also went heavy on the avocado.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

goodness posted:

How do I make this
With the disclaimer that this is one of those things like mapo where there are roughly a billion ways to prepare it and each of them has ten billion ways the people who do it some other way will tell you its wrong. So yeah.

But the basic method is: blanch a bunch of veg and/or prep some animal protein(s), heat a bunch of oil, add hot pot base to oil, also add maybe some extra 郫县豆瓣酱 or辣豆瓣酱, a shitload of garlic, a bunch of ginger, and some shallot/onion, bloom, then peppers, greens, w/e, keep it moving for a few, then your protein and/or veg, 绍兴酒, couple more minutes, into a bowl, put it in front of some you like, give them some rice to go with it.

There's a lot of variability in hot pot bases so if I'm using one instead of making my own I'll end up adjusting differently depending on what's in the base I'm using. The 老干妈 stuff is nice because it's actually got a recognisable level of Sichuan peppercorn in it, which e.g. Spicy King absolutely doesn't. If you're making the base yourself it's star anise, black cardamom, cinnamon, bay, fennel seed, orange peel, and possibly any of a number of other things--cumin, nutmeg, clove, white pepper, and/or five spice (whatever five spice might mean around your way), and it may or may not include ginger, garlic, scallion, and so on.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SubG posted:

With the disclaimer that this is one of those things like mapo where there are roughly a billion ways to prepare it and each of them has ten billion ways the people who do it some other way will tell you its wrong. So yeah.

But the basic method is: blanch a bunch of veg and/or prep some animal protein(s), heat a bunch of oil, add hot pot base to oil, also add maybe some extra 郫县豆瓣酱 or辣豆瓣酱, a shitload of garlic, a bunch of ginger, and some shallot/onion, bloom, then peppers, greens, w/e, keep it moving for a few, then your protein and/or veg, 绍兴酒, couple more minutes, into a bowl, put it in front of some you like, give them some rice to go with it.

There's a lot of variability in hot pot bases so if I'm using one instead of making my own I'll end up adjusting differently depending on what's in the base I'm using. The 老干妈 stuff is nice because it's actually got a recognisable level of Sichuan peppercorn in it, which e.g. Spicy King absolutely doesn't. If you're making the base yourself it's star anise, black cardamom, cinnamon, bay, fennel seed, orange peel, and possibly any of a number of other things--cumin, nutmeg, clove, white pepper, and/or five spice (whatever five spice might mean around your way), and it may or may not include ginger, garlic, scallion, and so on.

we like to throw in a crapload of cumin seeds in the beginning to pop in the oil before adding anything else, and stick mostly to root vegetables with small amounts of meat/tofu/leafy greens to fill it out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what do I need if i want to do a hot pot night? I have an induction burner I can use tableside, but beyond that I have no idea where ot start. I've only had hotpot once or twice in my life, so is there a guide someone can point me to?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what do I need if i want to do a hot pot night? I have an induction burner I can use tableside, but beyond that I have no idea where ot start. I've only had hotpot once or twice in my life, so is there a guide someone can point me to?

I've set it once at someone elses home, but this was the guide I used, https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-chinese-hot-pot-at-home-guide.html.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carillon posted:

I've set it once at someone elses home, but this was the guide I used, https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/02/how-to-make-chinese-hot-pot-at-home-guide.html.

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We do hot pot at home every other week or so. Welcome to the home hot pot club!

Segue
May 23, 2007

Made gong bao mushrooms from Fuchsia Dunlop's Every Grain of Rice and continue to be amazed at how much flavour Sichuan cuisine gets from a handful of ingredients.

That book is a gem since it's mostly more accessible home cooking dishes with a lot of vegan recipes for when I want to switch up from Indian

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

quote:

Other than that, all you need is some basic accessories: chopsticks (different sets for dipping in the communal pot and eating)

I eat hotpot with friends and family. We don't do this. Are we being crude in some cultures?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

droll posted:

I eat hotpot with friends and family. We don't do this. Are we being crude in some cultures?

In Japan theoretically you're supposed to do that or use the backs of your chopsticks, but people usually don't in my experience. I have never seen that in China or Korea, though I have heard it's become much more common to have serving utensils and eat in your own bowl instead of everyone dipping into the same one due to covid.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Traditionally when my family has hot pot, we use these little metal nets to scoop out pieces of food. Especially since we use raw eggs as part of our dipping sauce so any contamination back into the pot would otherwise result in the pot getting really foamy and making it difficult to identify what is in the pot.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ive seen the serving chopsticks a lot at hot pot but those are like comically long ones which are good for putting things in/out of the pot and would be bad to eat with.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

ive seen the serving chopsticks a lot at hot pot but those are like comically long ones which are good for putting things in/out of the pot and would be bad to eat with.

:same:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Grand Fromage posted:

In Japan theoretically you're supposed to do that or use the backs of your chopsticks, but people usually don't in my experience. I have never seen that in China or Korea, though I have heard it's become much more common to have serving utensils and eat in your own bowl instead of everyone dipping into the same one due to covid.

My family (Hong Konger) has always used the mesh scoops or serving chopsticks, the chopsticks mostly for fine-manipulation stuff or if you've got one of the fancy hot pots with the grilling section. Some of the serving chopsticks are longer but usually we just use color-coded ones, especially for smaller groups.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Doesn't boiling liquid kill germs anyway? Pick up raw pork, swish into soup, chopsticks are therefor good to go. Your relatives cooties are the least concern imo but I am always curious about other cultures.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

droll posted:

Doesn't boiling liquid kill germs anyway? Pick up raw pork, swish into soup, chopsticks are therefor good to go. Your relatives cooties are the least concern imo but I am always curious about other cultures.

I think it's not so much considered "dangerous" as "vaguely distasteful", maybe "uncouth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I want to make some soup along the lines of the Ching Po Leung Cantonese soup recipe on Woks of Life, so I just went and bought some packets of stuff:

They have no directions and I guess that maybe one is meant to be made sweet and the other savory? The red one has more Astragalus from what I can see. I want to make a soup with pork bones. Any ideas? Worst case I just use one and deal with how it tastes.