Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

koboldsworkshop.com

Holy poo poo, it's real.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Dik Hz posted:

I didn't know they allowed you to fish during stopovers at DFW. Although if any airport had a bass pond, it would definitely be in Texas.

I meant the Department of Fish and Wildlife, haha

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

e: where does one buy a dick spoon these days?

Yooper posted:

Holy poo poo, it's real.

:getin:

Dickspoons available now! Website works, but it's incomplete during this soft open period. It's more or less goons only right now, so the password is 69420lol.

WE GOT THE DICKSPOONS

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Whenever I do out of state licenses I just screenshot the copy they show you in the email. Works fine so far.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Dik Hz posted:

Your assumptions are correct, but the people on the pier are usually very helpful. That's a completely different sort of fishing from any other, though.

7' is a bit short for shore beach/bay fishing. 7'6-8' is the sweet spot, imho. 6000 spinning reel is a good starting one. 5000 is fine too.
As much as possible, but it depends on how busy it is. 30m is a good distance.

Thanks. Did a bit more research and I think I will start off by going for some smaller fish before buying a big surf rod. Thinking of trying for sheepshead from the piers and jetties, and whiting, pompano, and trout in the surf (not wading if I can help it, since I will be solo).

Availability for fishing tackle is rear end right now though, rods more so than reels. Are KastKing rods decent? My only Ugly Stik options are 7ft in M or MH for inshore, or the surf rod in 8ft M.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Dickspoons available now! Website works, but it's incomplete during this soft open period. It's more or less goons only right now, so the password is 69420lol.

WE GOT THE DICKSPOONS

Holy poo poo yes. I will be placing an order in the coming days, pun fully intended.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm here to tell you; A Pack of Kobolds makes good bait and tackle. I swear by his soft plastics and jigs and sinkers of all types. Better quality and more affordable than the big bait companies. I tested some of his stuff before he opened up, and I made an order as soon as I got word of the soft opening. Package came in yesterday and it is all of the quality I've come to expect from Kobold's Workshop. Also Walmart doesn't sell dickspoons.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Now can we guarantee that these dickspoons will catch muskies? No, but if you look at my posts in this here thread, there is a muskie munching on a dickspoon.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WE GOT THE DICKSPOONS

when are JimPlugs gonna be in stock

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

crazypeltast52 posted:

Now can we guarantee that these dickspoons will catch muskies? No, but if you look at my posts in this here thread, there is a muskie munching on a dickspoon.

goddamn muskie bit off my 20g dickspoon

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

goddamn muskie bit off my 20g dickspoon

A good problem to have!

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Trees and rocks ate mine :argh:
(And a big ol' catfish)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Today was a big day for me. I caught my dickspoon grail fish, a chub.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The dickspoons continue to deliver!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

when are JimPlugs gonna be in stock

These are less available to import, so we're gonna need to get some molds made. 3D print a negative mold and then somehow machine that into a block of milled aluminum? I've filled many molds, but haven't made a custom one before.

Also thanks for the kind words, everyone. :blush: I'm not trying to shill, only to do good work.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Today I had ~*~something~*~ eat an entire bait-size bluegill off of my line for the first time ever...... twice!

... and I PROBABLY would have landed it, too, if only my loving hook wasn’t too small :cry::negative:

EDIT: While I’m here, what is the thread concensus on fishing apps? I just downloaded Fishbrain and the free services on it seem alright, but I’m wondering if the Pro subscription is worth it or not.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 13, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've had fishbrain pro for a couple years. Being able to see actual catch locations is amazing for scouting out new fishing spots. It requires a basic knowledge of what your targeted fish species is doing given the season/weather/etc to combine with it, but it is a powerful tool. Just get it when it goes on a deep discount. I nab a year sub around tax return time.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Kobold should rename the "Jeweled, Flashy Dickspoon" to the Jacob's Ladder Dickspoon.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

nerox posted:

Kobold should rename the "Jeweled, Flashy Dickspoon" to the Jacob's Ladder Dickspoon.

Done, great idea!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Elmnt80 posted:

I've had fishbrain pro for a couple years. Being able to see actual catch locations is amazing for scouting out new fishing spots. It requires a basic knowledge of what your targeted fish species is doing given the season/weather/etc to combine with it, but it is a powerful tool. Just get it when it goes on a deep discount. I nab a year sub around tax return time.

Are the BiteTime estimates on it any good?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I prefer to go with more conventional knowledge on the habits of the fish I'm targeting. Bass being active at sunup and sun down, knowing when they may be sunning themselves in colder weather, chilling deeper in hot weather, etc.

And it always says my best bite time is like 2am which doesn't work for my fishing spots. :v:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I think those bite time estimates are based on moon phases? Like when they should be most active? But like, who can fish with the moon. I just go fishing when I got time

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I think they factor the weather in, and I've occasionally caught exactly what it suggested would be biting. I'd imagine that's mostly been luck, though.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Syano posted:

I think those bite time estimates are based on moon phases? Like when they should be most active? But like, who can fish with the moon. I just go fishing when I got time

"If you're going out and you're fishing every night, like you should be, you're gonna be fishing every moon phase anyway. Don't give me any of this Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Mars Lunar Landing. Nobody cares, go out there and throw your chunk."

-Bob the Garbage Man

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

How cheap does Fishbrain go? I have a yearly sub deal available to me for $30 CAD... Worth?

Edit: nevermind - It expired missed out!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

joem83 posted:

"If you're going out and you're fishing every night, like you should be, you're gonna be fishing every moon phase anyway. Don't give me any of this Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, Mars Lunar Landing. Nobody cares, go out there and throw your chunk."

-Bob the Garbage Man

Bob is a wise man.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Bob is a wise man.

I love that video so much, whenever my cousin and I fish we inevitably end up dropping lines from it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

THESE GUYS GOT REELS THAT COST MORE THAN A SUIT FROM TONY'S SUIT WORLD

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

Hi goons, I want to go fishing.

Update: wife and kid went out of town for the weekend. I went fishing. Since I hate it when people ask questions and disappear, I'll address some of the questions I asked, what I did, and how they worked (or didn't) for me.

What did you finally end up buying after recovering from Google-induced paralysis by analysis?
Covid kind of forced my hand on this one because I had to go with what was a) in stock b) in budget and c) on Amazon if my local Academy failed me. I got the 7'6" KastKing in medium heavy since I decided to go to a pier first, and there seems to be general agreement that it would be a good inshore all-rounder later on. I paired it with a Penn Fierce III 4000 and 20lb braid. I got 20lb and 40lb fluoro for leader material but have only used the 20lb so far. The rod performed OK overall, I used it to cast a 3oz pyramid sinker which is way beyond the max lure weight of 3/4oz and it seemed to work fine. I assume that I probably shouldn't push it that hard often, though. I will try the jetties next, and hopefully will be able to try out lighter rigs and maybe some lures.

Where did you go?
I went to the 91st Street pier in Galveston, which is a dedicated fishing pier and the longest one in the area.

How was it?
eh, it was alright i guess

Seriously - I got there around 6:45AM and it was an absolutely beautiful morning. There were more cars than I expected, but it's something like 1100 feet of pier so there was tons of room. I hadn't been to Galveston in a while and I missed the turn to the bait shop I wanted to hit up for live shrimp, so I figured I would just buy bait at the pier. They've gotta sell bait, right? Nothing live, unfortunately. I bought some frozen squid and croaker to use as cut bait. Never done that before, but I had a pair of marine shears with me so I figured it was better than backtracking and wasting 30 minutes. Fortunately I had some crab Fishbites to use while my bait thawed.

We got some overcast and spray around 9AM, so the crowds didn't start showing up until that cleared. Apparently the folks at the deep end of the pier caught some big redfish but that died off by mid-morning too. Overall, didn't get to bring any fish home (or take a brag photo), but a good day.

Did you catch fish?
technically, yes

I caught two hand-sized whiting, plus this little hardhead. All early in the day. I didn't really get good pictures because I was terrified of dropping my phone. Later in the morning, I felt a big thump on my line followed by a clear sensation that my bait was being picked up and carried -- that KastKing rod is way more sensitive than anything I had as a kid, I was seriously astounded -- but the hook didn't set and that was that. About 20 seconds later the back of a huge redfish breached the surface within 10 feet of my line, so that must have been it. Ah well.

I didn't see anyone get a bite after 10AM, all small stuff like mine, and the regulars were all grousing about how slow it was. Hopefully things will be more lively next time.

Discussion Quorum posted:

Gear: rod, reel, cooler, sunscreen+hat, chair, stringer(?), pliers, diagonal cutters, first aid kit, maybe a couple buckets. What not-obvious things am I forgetting?
Big forget: Something to clean my hands with, and a towel. Cut bait is loving NASTY and gets on everything. Hand sanitizer does nothing. When I finally found a gas station with an open bathroom, I washed my hands, then sanitized them, then slathered my keys, steering wheel, phone, and everything else I had touched with hand sanitizer. I spent this morning washing congealed squid goop off of my rod, reel, tackle boxes, pliers, etc. Spray sunscreen would have been nice too, I wasn't about to reapply with fish guts and slime all over my hands, so I got a bit toasted.

I need to find a better cooler, though. My 25qt Igloo Marine is only 16" long on the inside, and legal size in Texas for most fish starts around 15". I tried a 48qt too but it's too big and takes up most of my cart, with no room for a bait bucket. Most 30-40qt coolers seem to be deeper rather than longer.

Other things for next time: spider sinkers (my 3oz pyramid sinker wasn't always enough), a rod holder, and I should definitely bring live bait or collect some sand fleas.

Dik Hz posted:

Your assumptions are correct, but the people on the pier are usually very helpful. That's a completely different sort of fishing from any other, though.

I was surprised by how much I liked the crowd on the pier. I thought it would be tourists and kids (because that's how the public fishing areas we went to when I was a kid were), but it was a really diverse group of people and a lot of them were clearly regulars who took the whole thing pretty seriously. Lots of people with dedicated pier carts, multiple rods, etc.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

This weekend's trip report:

FRIDAY: Dawns 82 and humid. A brief rain squall passes through with a cold front, now it's 63, dry, and windy as gently caress. I try it anyway. Miss one hard strike, then bam

My PB red drum appears, 22 and a half inches long, though only 3lb. Nothing else after 20min, give up

SATURDAY: Against every normal impulse I go out in the middle of day, since it's sunny, mid-60s, and it would be a shame to waste it. After an hour without a tap I get up and fold up my chair, preparing to leave, and then notice one of my lines has gone completely slack. I bring it in expecting I was crabbed or gared, but nope, this sonofabitch is stripping line and doesn't surface until the very end

My PB black drum, 17 inches long. A loving beast.

Less than 15 minutes later comes what would be PB black drum if not for the last one, only an inch shorter.

For only three fish, I'm pretty fuckin satisfied.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Niioce. We went on friday and didn't get even a single bite. The sand bar was in a fucky location and the next day a big cold front moved in as well. At least we werent alone. Saw one guy catch one ladyfish.

The peregrine falcons are migrating through right now and we saw one destroy tern or something about fifteen feet from us on the sand by doing its 200mph body check plus talon through the head dive. :black101: Problem was he came back again and accidentally threw the body into the surf so he didnt even get a meal.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

The peregrine falcons are migrating through right now and we saw one destroy tern or something about fifteen feet from us on the sand by doing its 200mph body check plus talon through the head dive. :black101: Problem was he came back again and accidentally threw the body into the surf so he didnt even get a meal.
Cool! One time I was getting skunked at the beach and a loving osprey flew right over head with a 12" pompano still wriggling. It was half the size of the bird. Show-offs.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

More troutin

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

Cool! One time I was getting skunked at the beach and a loving osprey flew right over head with a 12" pompano still wriggling. It was half the size of the bird. Show-offs.

At least it didn't use the fish as a weapon. This happened less than 30 miles from me.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

So I started making videos of me fishing in incredibly boring ways:

click me to be bored

Woo.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

gamera009 posted:

So I started making videos of me fishing in incredibly boring ways:

click me to be bored

Woo.

You should name your channel “Huge Tenkara Fisher.”

In all seriousness, good stuff. Fall fish are so beautiful. Also, I’ve been thinking about picking up a GoPro for backcountry excursions, so I appreciate the test video.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just a heads up, St. Croix is clearing out retired rods 20% off and has $5 flat shipping

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/rod-shopper?mc_cid=94af6b8199&mc_eid=d3d72e028a

Considering picking up another Mojo Inshore, cause' hot drat.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

All the ones id be into seem to just be standard price. Kinda wanted to see how id dig it over my ugly stiks or abu garcia blackmax.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just a heads up, St. Croix is clearing out retired rods 20% off and has $5 flat shipping

https://stcroixrods.com/collections/rod-shopper?mc_cid=94af6b8199&mc_eid=d3d72e028a

Considering picking up another Mojo Inshore, cause' hot drat.

Be aware that those are old models made of SCII graphite, definitely not as good as the new ones. They'll still be good, just not as

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
Does anyone have any tips for fishing in suburban ponds?

I'm in Texas and trying to get back in to fishing, haven't done it much since I was a kid. There are some ponds near me in public parks that the state stocks with catfish and some supposedly have bass and sunfish as well.

Went out a few weekends in a row to try and catch a catfish, because I thought it was supposed to be idiot proof. Put some Magic Bait balls on a hook, with and without a weight, and was never able to get so much as a bite. I tried a couple locations and tried both morning and evening. (My mornings admittedly started at like 9am.) I'm just using the $30 shakespeare rod and spinning reel combo from Academy for now, but afaik it should be fine.

What do I have to do to get some sort of fish on the line in this environment? I just want to prove I can at this point.

Edit: I know there are actually fish in the water because I've seen other fishermen out there. One showed me a picture of a bass he caught, but I don't think I've seen anyone else pull in a fish while I was there.

Grandito fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 20, 2020