Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I get it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Philman posted:

yeah, i'm surprised i havent seen this before too. it's so much easier to read.

The recent Shadowrun games have the dialogue in a sidebar as well. I believe Robert actually mentioned they were an influence in the video he did about the UX.

I recommend them. Skip Returns and play Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you don't reload after being racist at kim you're a monster

I disagree, because it makes for a really good scene.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Holy poo poo doing a high Physical run so I have lots of Half Light and Physical Instrument is a really, really good idea:

I was too enveloped in two of Half Light's moments to capture them but I made drat sure not to on this one:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
half-light at high levels is hilarious

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

half-light at high levels is hilarious

That is what I'm doing on my current run, I'm loving excited :getin:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Half-Life is great because it's not even trying to be helpful. It doesn't want Harry to get better, it wants him to get worse.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Half-Light is correct a grand total of one time in the entire game, but its when it counts.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JustaDamnFool posted:

Half-Light is correct a grand total of one time in the entire game, but its when it counts.

it helped me bully a racist once so that's pretty cool

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
just finished a game where my necktie had a more compelling character arc than most NPCs in most games ever have, and I'd totally buy one if I thought I'd ever wear it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Half-Life is great because it's not even trying to be helpful. It doesn't want Harry to get better, it wants him to get worse.

Are you saying this isn't helpful?

But yeah, can recommend a high phys run, it's pretty hilarious.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ultrafilter posted:

The moment that really sold the game for me was a failed check early on. I attempted to sneak away from Garte after he demanded that I pay for my hotel room. Failing the check had me run away at full speed, turn, extend both middle fingers, and pause to go through several dialogue options that made it clear I was about to crash into Lena. Apparently you can die of a heart attack there, and I'm honestly not sure whether that would've been better than surviving and having to explain myself.

this is how I first died in my first playthrough and it ruled

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

JawKnee posted:

this is how I first died in my first playthrough and it ruled

my first playthrough I had 1 point in Physique and tried to grab the tie off the fan and died of a heart attack literally 3 actions into the game and I was like "okay I immediately love this"

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

had this whoa moment when outta nowhere came this idea that electrochemistry and half-light are "siblings" who make conscious meaning from the output of the reptilian brain and limbic system

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I failed miserably at basic pistol marksmanship after roasting Kim's own bad pistol marksmanship, threw the gun into the mud, and cried so hard I gave up on being a cop, instead choosing to live under a bridge and throw poop at people.

A fitting end IMO

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Also:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He's the perfect straight man.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
He is perfect.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Which duo is the most effective: Harry/Raphael/Tequila & Kim or Electrochemistry & Hand/Eye Coordination?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i've seen a lot of people say this, but i really disagree. the racism is in harry's head already, which is why you have to pass a check to keep it inside. if you say it, then you have to own up to it when you follow kim outside. the conversation with kim is where you can confront your latent racism and and doing so is a meaningful step in becoming a better person. of course, you can also double down it, and if you do that, then you're a monster.

correct on all points

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pinball Kim is the best party member that has ever existed in gaming and I hope in another year I’ll see a two hour video on YouTube detailing why he’s the best. I won’t watch it. But I’ll know.

The big thing about DE that gets me isn’t just how good the writing is...but how effortless ZA/UM made it seem. None of it comes off as pretentious. It’s a natural and beautiful world to inhabit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've said it before but one of the reasons Kim comes off so great is that he's a straight man who isn't a wet blanket. So often that role is written as the "fun police", but Kim is much more nuanced where he puts on a serious facade but will only actually stop Harry from doing something if it seems like it might be legitimately dangerous or harmful. Most of the time he's content to go "alright, let's see where this goes". He also clearly has his own quirks and indulgences rather than just being a pure robot all the time.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Broken Cog posted:

Are you saying this isn't helpful?

But yeah, can recommend a high phys run, it's pretty hilarious.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've said it before but one of the reasons Kim comes off so great is that he's a straight man who isn't a wet blanket. So often that role is written as the "fun police", but Kim is much more nuanced where he puts on a serious facade but will only actually stop Harry from doing something if it seems like it might be legitimately dangerous or harmful. Most of the time he's content to go "alright, let's see where this goes". He also clearly has his own quirks and indulgences rather than just being a pure robot all the time.

speaking of this screenshot, and kim owning severely........

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Kim's great. Another thing I like is that, as long as it's not too off the wall or supernatural, he's willing to take your hunches seriously even if you can't fully explain or prove them. Or even when you suggest that there are other spots that the shot could have come from, however unlikely he's willing to see it through because he can see that you really did think it through.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Megazver posted:

I recommend them. Skip Returns and play Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

...Or if you really want to get the story of Returns after playing the other two, make a character who is proficient with shotguns and decking.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i've seen a lot of people say this, but i really disagree. the racism is in harry's head already, which is why you have to pass a check to keep it inside. if you say it, then you have to own up to it when you follow kim outside. the conversation with kim is where you can confront your latent racism and and doing so is a meaningful step in becoming a better person. of course, you can also double down it, and if you do that, then you're a monster.

Also wanted to acknowledge this because 1) you described something really important but 2) it doesn't land the same for everyone.

A white person playing the game, having the option of erasing the racism inherent in their Harry through reloading, is playing the classic neoliberal who won't acknowledge their complicity in structural racism, allowing the idea of "racism is only present in slurs & physical harm" to eclipse more pervasive social inequalities.

A POC playing the game who has been through enough conversations like the one Harry and Kim have after that fuckup? They probably don't need to play that scene out.

But there's no nuanced solution that can support this scene working out for everyone, and ultimately I think this scene is important enough that it belongs in the game.

I don't know what it looks like for videogames to properly tangle with the topic of race: DE depicts racism thoughtful way but doesn't depict anti-racism. There's a lot of reason it doesn't do that or can't do that, and having a fictional history is one of those reasons. Not being able to engage with the player's identity or experiences is another. Harry might be capable of growth and change and that's central to the overall narrative, but where he stands with regards to racism is pretty wide open and unexplored. Dragging around the mug into different conversations is funny but that's some performative woke white folks poo poo if I've ever seen it. Dealing with Measurehead's racism is uncomfortable because he might have an objectively hosed up ideology but "look at you, hypocrite colonized dude -- you have fake ideas because you weren't even born in the culture that you really belong to" is loving toxic if you imagine someone applying that to real-world contemporary race issues. Standing up for Kim is fraught because is this out of inherent goodness? or is it because Harry is desperate for positive attention and treating Kim well is more about his own feelings (like most white people and their relationships with POC)?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Roctavian posted:

Also wanted to acknowledge this because 1) you described something really important but 2) it doesn't land the same for everyone.

A white person playing the game, having the option of erasing the racism inherent in their Harry through reloading, is playing the classic neoliberal who won't acknowledge their complicity in structural racism, allowing the idea of "racism is only present in slurs & physical harm" to eclipse more pervasive social inequalities.

A POC playing the game who has been through enough conversations like the one Harry and Kim have after that fuckup? They probably don't need to play that scene out.

But there's no nuanced solution that can support this scene working out for everyone, and ultimately I think this scene is important enough that it belongs in the game.

I don't know what it looks like for videogames to properly tangle with the topic of race: DE depicts racism thoughtful way but doesn't depict anti-racism. There's a lot of reason it doesn't do that or can't do that, and having a fictional history is one of those reasons. Not being able to engage with the player's identity or experiences is another. Harry might be capable of growth and change and that's central to the overall narrative, but where he stands with regards to racism is pretty wide open and unexplored. Dragging around the mug into different conversations is funny but that's some performative woke white folks poo poo if I've ever seen it. Dealing with Measurehead's racism is uncomfortable because he might have an objectively hosed up ideology but "look at you, hypocrite colonized dude -- you have fake ideas because you weren't even born in the culture that you really belong to" is loving toxic if you imagine someone applying that to real-world contemporary race issues. Standing up for Kim is fraught because is this out of inherent goodness? or is it because Harry is desperate for positive attention and treating Kim well is more about his own feelings (like most white people and their relationships with POC)?

This is a really great dive into it that I completely missed (likely due to privilege). Thank you for the write up!

zzzzz
Mar 11, 2020
Can someone detail when and where the racist comment occurs?

I've done the dance scene twice now and my Harry never said anything racist, I'm honestly wondering when it occurs and what it might be, I don't even know what check would trigger it since I didn't seem to pass any that were relevant. Both times for me it ended with me pulling rank rather than anything else.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

zzzzz posted:

I've done the dance scene twice now and my Harry never said anything racist, I'm honestly wondering when it occurs and what it might be, I don't even know what check would trigger it since I didn't seem to pass any that were relevant. Both times for me it ended with me pulling rank rather than anything else.

Well, uh, try to not pull rank next time.

zzzzz
Mar 11, 2020

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, uh, try to not pull rank next time.

I probably won't play again, and honestly don't remember there being another option!

Maybe I'll just go find a Lets Play or something.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not a specific option, it's what happens when you attempt that check and fail.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

zzzzz posted:

It's if you try to get Kim to dance and you fail the roll, you will attempt to "jokingly" I guess call him a slur while convincing him to join you and he storms out. It leads to a real good scene where he confronts you about prejudice he's suffered in his life. You do get the chance to apologize at least. I let it roll when it happened to me and still had Kim have my back at the end. I very, very seriously considered reloading though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I don't mind finishing the case with Cuno, but I will absolutely savescum every time Harry calls Kim a yellow monkey fucker.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yeah, this is consistent with Kim as presented elsewhere - the job breaks people, and if you can't find an outlet somewhere, however inappropriate, it'll break you faster.

"That was a real person. His death was real. But I named the case that, to amuse myself. I pray his survivors never find out."

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

loving lol @ everything about the anti-object task force thought. This embodies me extremely.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
This game is amazing, as has been said a thousand times. I'm on day four with sky-high Motorics and nothing else. I'm catching stuff and noticing stuff and dodging stuff all day and terrible at every other thing I can do. It's great. My next playthrough will be MAXED OUT SUPERCOP just to see what kind of crazy poo poo I can get up to with 20 in everything.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Dog Kisser posted:

This game is amazing, as has been said a thousand times. I'm on day four with sky-high Motorics and nothing else. I'm catching stuff and noticing stuff and dodging stuff all day and terrible at every other thing I can do. It's great. My next playthrough will be MAXED OUT SUPERCOP just to see what kind of crazy poo poo I can get up to with 20 in everything.

You get a very noisy head. It makes you a different kind of deranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Your skills talking takes time so SUPERCOP runs through the days faster.