Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
You dont want to really solo Irene you want her to drop out of a sight for a turn and then rush in with her buff, so like have her hide on the other other side of a truck. But ya most of Irenes really good masterys are late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
irene can't really solo huge crowds, but she can survive running into the middle of them. that's it, and then your ranged characters can pick off the clump of dudes who all ran up to attack her. i've tried more offensive builds, but i found that most of her sets had too much expensive junk, with little overlap so you can't stack together multiple good mastery sets. for example, magical armor is wonderful but it isn't worth bothering with any of the sets it belongs to. still, there's so much dang stuff in this game it is possible i missed some useful combinations.

one thing to note though is that if you are using irene as bait then you probably don't want counter.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

SpRahl posted:

You dont want to really solo Irene you want her to drop out of a sight for a turn and then rush in with her buff, so like have her hide on the other other side of a truck.

It's been so long since I read the descriptions that I forgot it's based on line of sight rather than distance. That helps a lot actually. Maybe I'll give the Hero thing another try...

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I would have Irene go in different direction than my main group, and stacked masteries on her that gave her lots of counterattack damage and+ initiative when she knocked someone out. Mid game she would clear half the map herself, early game and late game she would take out a few groups herself then die. Phoenix is also really good for her.

I found the Irene specific mastery not very good on her, but the martial artist masteries and the counterattack masteries were great.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There was an early-ish chapter that Irene beat completely by herself after everyone died, and after that I went all in on her solo skills and had her act independently from the party. Unfortunately that doesn't work out too well in the late game (too many ranged or uncounterable enemies) so I shifted her more towards a tank.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 21, 2020

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I’m doing the same thing for the harder missions. I’ll still have her mostly solo but it’s just holding a chokepoint while I kill other stuff instead of charging through half the map.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Best Friends posted:

I would have Irene go in different direction than my main group, and stacked masteries on her that gave her lots of counterattack damage and+ initiative when she knocked someone out.

What masteries give her initiative on KO? That's one thing I find she really needs. Compared to other front-liners she just doesn't get to go all that often, despite Extreme Speed. Part of that is burning up AT with counterattack but that's the only way she does much of anything for me.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SpRahl posted:

You dont want to really solo Irene you want her to drop out of a sight for a turn and then rush in with her buff, so like have her hide on the other other side of a truck. But ya most of Irenes really good masterys are late game

!!!

Man, I never thought of doing that to proc hero. Will have to do that when I get back to the game.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

What masteries give her initiative on KO? That's one thing I find she really needs. Compared to other front-liners she just doesn't get to go all that often, despite Extreme Speed. Part of that is burning up AT with counterattack but that's the only way she does much of anything for me.

Lonely hero is 30 on KO I think and the solitary fighter set is 20 just for attacking

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

lil baby anime posted:

Lonely hero is 30 on KO I think and the solitary fighter set is 20 just for attacking

Theres another mastery set that gives her 10 on a counter attack ko, basically with lonely hero activated Irene will be taking turns MORE frequently if she kills people when counter attack, still that's not a guaranteed thing especially with stuff like impulse fields all over the place late game.

ZearothK posted:

!!!

Man, I never thought of doing that to proc hero. Will have to do that when I get back to the game.

Bear in mind that line of sight is really finicky in this game and especially if you are doing a late mission where you get like 8 characters and 8 police officers it can become too crowded to do it reliably.
But ya her ability is based on line of sight not distance and it does not go away the moment she sees an ally it lasts an additional 3 turns and havign her just follow the party on the other side of a truck or wall totally works.

Best Friends posted:

I found the Irene specific mastery not very good on her, but the martial artist masteries and the counterattack masteries were great.
Generally her character specific ones are bad and not worth it, the very first one you get which gives her a random buff when hero activates or when rescuing civilians is decent early on when you dont have many masteries and can lead to her getting some hilarious buffs like touch of death (reaper idk what its called), which just instantly kills any target she damages.

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 21, 2020

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

The only thing more bullshit than these robots is finding out one of the 5 random buffs Anne’s giving out like candy happens to be immortality right when I’m supposed to die

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Draki nest is some bullshit. Lost with 6 enemies left. Irene tanks the entire drat stage 2 damage at a time and then gets killed in one hit by some 3k damage nonsense and then the little fuckers just swarm my whole team

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I found the last violent/purple mission to be a big step up in difficulty past Draki Nest. And the last story mission too; really both seem to need impulse fields or some equivalent on every character or you get your people whittled down by lucky crits.

Overall I really enjoyed the game and the 110 hours I put into it, despite the bad translation and some kinda pointless-tedious game systems.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lil baby anime posted:

The only thing more bullshit than these robots is finding out one of the 5 random buffs Anne’s giving out like candy happens to be immortality right when I’m supposed to die

Guess you will just have to live with it.

I am sorry.

Anyways, some balance thingies and a couple new hacker sets today. I am a bad OP, might end up being the last person in the thread to actually finish the game, will see if I can get around to it during this winter break.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh yeah, a couple of days ago Dandelion updated the proof reading tool and made an effort post about it.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

On one hand I kinda want to clear this 2nd training mission and progress the story. On the other hand having a battle mage Irene with 250% block rate is absolutely hilarious even if that means I will never be able to actually take her down in that mission and clear it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

lil baby anime posted:

On one hand I kinda want to clear this 2nd training mission and progress the story. On the other hand having a battle mage Irene with 250% block rate is absolutely hilarious even if that means I will never be able to actually take her down in that mission and clear it.

Technically you don't need to defeat any of your team members to win the training session, I did as Albus vs everyone without fooling around with empty mastery boards (which is the easy way to do it). I picked defenders and my approach was just to advance a bit from the defensive line, with the shield SWAT going into Iron Wall stance at the front to stall the team.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I picked defenders with Irene and Kylie and threw bots/beats at them until the time limit. It was close though.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
So I finally just caught three Draki from that hell mission. Any recommendations for what evolution to shoot for? The ice ones were a thorn in my side during the mission, but I'm not sure how much of that was me being stuck in ice clouds from them dying and how much was their actual merit.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I spent a while reading the steam forums and most (or the loudest, at least) people seemed to go for dark draki baron, so I did that. So that would be dark draki hatchling, dark draki, dark draki baron. You get a bunch of good/large AOE spells and all the usual draki defense masteries. I didn't regret my decision but I never tried to see any of the alternatives either. Storm baron is also popular because you get a healing spell. People also get king (dark hatchling -> dark knight -> king) because, well, it's the king and seems to be the preferred melee variant. Fire baron is probably next-most popular. Try to get 'fly' from the random stage-growth masteries; the dodge rate boost is huge. Ice are defense-based but folks seem to prefer the ice tima for that role. People didn't talk much about other variants.

kalam
Oct 30, 2010
I've tried queen and ice prince. Wasn't that impressed by queen but ice prince had a mastery build so that every hit inflicted frostbite and every frostbite was upgraded to freeze which I found super useful. Did decent melee damage with 100% block and great single target CC because of freeze-on-hit.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I started playing this game last week. I just got Irene to join my company. I think I've also unlocked the main merchant area. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

I think my favorite aspect so far is the inventive mission design. The road rescue mission was a nice twist on "rescue the hostages" because you had to worry about defending the extraction point too. I also really liked how you play a variety of higher-leveled characters in their own mini-mission tutorials, then get to control them all on one big map with a ton of fodder and a boss.

Any important tips for people starting out?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Generally progress through the story until you hit a wall, then go back and do the old missions (they're not repeats of the previous version, sometimes adds sidestory content).

Ask about UI and skill forging because some things aren't obvious on their functions until 20 hours in.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Beforeiplay a good starting point if you didn't read it yet: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=TROUBLESHOOTER:_Abandoned_Children.

You want to pick the company skill that drops masteries; everything else is basically a trap.

You can change difficulty levels as much as you want. The purple ("violent") missions each get an extra boss with unique drops when you play them on hard, but they're also super long (like 1.5h each) missions and it gets longer if you're underleveled for the difficulty, so you may well enjoy just putting them off until you're a little overleveled and they won't be such a slog.

The game doesn't make it clear but if you quit in the middle of a mission you can resume it later. That's really important for the really long missions.

The money balance is a bit odd; you're poor at the start, then hugely overflowing in the midgame, then quickly run out if/when you start to do any of the crafting at the end.

The hunger/motivation mechanic is just dumb busywork I wish they would remove. Eat a food every couple levels to not be penalized. That's it.

Put the rent and salary payments for your dudes on the longer timespan just so you waste half as much time watching the dialogs about paying each one $20 or whatever when you have like $1mil sitting around and it's dumb.

As someone just taught us a few pages back, all the business about playing Irene "solo" does NOT mean sending her off alone. She will die if you do that. It means putting her around the corner in safety for one turn (as long as she can't "see" any ally character) to trigger the buff, then putting her back next to Albus where she belongs until the buff runs out in 3 turns.

The translation is bad all over the place. Report errors here if you want to help them fix it. The developers are monumentally sorry (seriously half of any news item is various sincere but overdone apologies) for any displeasure this causes you, and they are doing their best. :glomp:

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 2, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, you can send Irene off by herself and that works pretty well for most of the game.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Lakitu7 posted:

The game doesn't make it clear but if you quit in the middle of a mission you can resume it later. That's really important for the really long missions.

I was wondering about this, thanks!

I have noticed a few spotty lines, but overall the translation is acceptable enough that it doesn't significantly detract from my enjoyment of the game.

I'm excited to get some mastery sets going. The opening of the game is surprisingly slow! I think the idea of giving the player generic police units to fill in the gaps at first is pretty brilliant though. It gives people coming from XCOM a familiar touchstone. "Oh, it's a generic gun dude!" And then you have the cool superhero units with fun abilities.

This game is like the polar opposite design space of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, but I really like both games.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I'm almost done with chapter 3, but having fun with this game. The mastery system is probably the best upgrade system of any XCOM-like game I've played. So much depth in such a simple-seeming system. Story's serviceable and Irene is bae. Totally ship Sion and Albus together. Anne needs some pants.

So I know there's some masteries locked behind the choices you can make in the story, are there any specific ones before the last mission of chapter 3?

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

skaianDestiny posted:

So I know there's some masteries locked behind the choices you can make in the story, are there any specific ones before the last mission of chapter 3?

You can repeat the story missions to get all possible masteries. They are really useful for some of the more advanced builds.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

MonikaTSarn posted:

You can repeat the story missions to get all possible masteries. They are really useful for some of the more advanced builds.

Yeah I'm aware of that, I just want to know which story missions have optional masteries.

I got the ones for Albus and Sion's talk about getting new members and playing as Heixing vs Carter.

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 13, 2020

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

skaianDestiny posted:

Yeah I'm aware of that, I just want to know which story missions have optional masteries.

I got the ones for Albus and Sion's talk about getting new members and playing as Heixing vs Carter.

Check this steam guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1349483727

It has a list of them near the end.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
How do you replay the Shooter Street missions?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

skaianDestiny posted:

How do you replay the Shooter Street missions?

Talk to whoever gave you the mission, there should be an option of re-doing old cases there.

I haven't played since July, how is this Bonds system they've added?

(also they've scheduled the new update for November 16th, featuring a new scenario and controller support. They apologised at least three times)

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 14, 2020

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ZearothK posted:

I haven't played since July, how is this Bonds system they've added?

Pretty good IMO. You have 3 levels of bonding and can choose a bond mastery from a list of four (the list depends on the characters and level of bonding apparently) that both have. My favorite is the one that lets the bond partner do a follow up attack once per turn on an enemy that you targeted but didn't kill. Have it so Sion chain electrocutes a bunch of people and whoever manages to survive gets kicked by a flying Irene.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

skaianDestiny posted:

Pretty good IMO. You have 3 levels of bonding and can choose a bond mastery from a list of four (the list depends on the characters and level of bonding apparently) that both have. My favorite is the one that lets the bond partner do a follow up attack once per turn on an enemy that you targeted but didn't kill. Have it so Sion chain electrocutes a bunch of people and whoever manages to survive gets kicked by a flying Irene.

Cool! So it's very similar to the bonding in the XCOM 2 expansion, thanks for the answer! I was thinking of getting back into the game now that my exam season is easing up.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I've got a question about mechanics. In several masteries, the status effects they give say "X% per level, stacks up to 4 levels." What exactly does this mean? What are levels in this context?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
by level it means an instance of that status effect. so, you can stack it 4 times.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, I think I finally got Battlemage Irene in a good place thanks to the Magic Duplication mastery. I am still missing Magic Armor and have no way to craft it, but she's at least on par with Albus now in terms of damage and she can both regen and bounce back from death, so that's good.

The only party member I still don't have a good grasp on is Kylie. Her attacks feel very weak, even the ones using special protocols (exception for her overcharge, which is monstrous). Her support abilities (Awaken Protocol, Confusion Protocol and Hacking) are super clutch, but her damage is usually not enough to even finish off low health enemies and her drones aren't exactly a good source of damage compared to Giselle's animal summons. Any pointers on how to build her mastery board? Do I need to get into the crafting mines to upgrade her weapons and drones?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The problem with Kylie isn't her masteries, it's her weapons. She never gets any weapon upgrades from chests or drops, so you have to resort to crafting which is a real pain.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I thought her point was basically to summon drones and stay in the back and let the drones do all the work (i.e. tank for you). If you can grind out the drop from the purple robot mission robot boss, she can make an accessory to have two drones at once, which helps a lot. But yeah aside from using drones and stealing the enemies' drones she's just sorta... there? Attack Protocol is pretty good but since you only get to use it 3-4 times/mission it's hard to be impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Just a note that the purple part you need is craftable now as of around 3 patches ago. And thank gently caress for that.