Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That gray looks good in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

At this rate I'd just get one for the hell of it

https://twitter.com/auto_schmidt/status/1314967105490616320?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hell, more traditional manufacturers have hilarious QA issues, Tesla aint that special in that regard.

In my experience, most of the fanboys of other brands (most of my shitposting is about Chrysler quality) will respond to online complaints and mockery with "Yeah, but..." whereas Tesla fanboys seem to prefer "No, actually..." replies.

Edit: Thank you thread, for demonstrating exactly this. Imagine thinking people don't poo poo on Ford quality :lol:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Along with refilling the washer fluid once, my (AWD) Model 3's first big ticket maintenance item came in thanks to a cluster of nails in one tire.

One interesting surprise was that the (Tesla recommended and legit knowledgeable) tire place didn't push for a full set of new tires, as they did for a similar Subaru incident. Apparently it's all fine with the controllers if the front and rear sets don't perfectly match diameter! I felt some barely perceptible forward/back nudging for the first 5 minutes until things calibrated, then back to normal with a lot of tire lifetime saved and a new full size spare.

Oddly, it sounded like they don't recommend this for RWD. Maybe it requires encoder precision/control only available when there's a motor involved? I may have misunderstood that part though.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think some of the people who post in this thread must not read the new car thread if they think other manufacturers aren’t poo poo on relentlessly for being ugly, unreliable, overpriced garbage. That’s like 90% of the content.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Anybody looking at the Toyota Rav4Prime? Don't really feel like playing the Tesla lottery (also Elon annoys the poo poo out of me) & 42mi of electric range is plenty for 99% of my days. Availability is a little poo poo right now but seems to be getting better...

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Shamino posted:

Man it's almost like there are a lot of people with massive bets against Tesla who are doing everything possible to slander the brand (not to mention the absolutely deranged people who think Elon Musk is a nazi diamond mine owner.)

This kind of conspiracy nonsense is part of the reason why Tesla fans get a bad rap. The short interest on TSLA is no different from other EV brands like NIO and vastly lower than many other companies.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Evil Robot posted:

Anybody looking at the Toyota Rav4Prime? Don't really feel like playing the Tesla lottery (also Elon annoys the poo poo out of me) & 42mi of electric range is plenty for 99% of my days. Availability is a little poo poo right now but seems to be getting better...

They look really cool but yeah when I put in my zip code it said come back next year or something.

Elon Musk
Jun 2, 2020

X Ash AXII

Shamino posted:

Man it's almost like there are a lot of people with massive bets against Tesla who are doing everything possible to slander the brand (not to mention the absolutely deranged people who think Elon Musk is a nazi diamond mine owner.)

How about how every single Ford ecoboost 3.5 sold from 2015-2019 has a design flaw that will detonate the motors if not corrected? Or the Fiesta transmission problems? I don't see a cadre of people coming out every time someone mentions ford going "watch out the driveline will explode you better buy an Audi!! "

THANK YOU!
Tesla would have zero build problems, but our Fremont plant is near Mt. Shasta, which is COMPLETELY full of Space Lizard Illuminati members, who keep invading our plant to cause quality issues.

Also, those Space Lizards control the One World Government, so obviously they're shortselling us!

Google David Icke or Alex Jones if you want to find out more about this phenominon!

Love,
Elon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elon Musk posted:

THANK YOU!
Tesla would have zero build problems, but our Fremont plant is near Mt. Shasta, which is COMPLETELY full of Space Lizard Illuminati members, who keep invading our plant to cause quality issues.

Also, those Space Lizards control the One World Government, so obviously they're shortselling us!

Google David Icke or Alex Jones if you want to find out more about this phenominon!

Love,
Elon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you decide to come back, I'd request you make it funny or ......... well just make it amusing next time or I'll do something that will at least give myself a chuckle

Peace :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 11, 2020

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Evil Robot posted:

Don't know your market but the Suzuki Across is the RAV4 with a different bumper, badge and steering wheel if you're not averse to badge engineering and availability doesn't improve.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the RAV4 Prime is hilariously one of the fastest cars in Toyota's lineup

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I went to test drive a Rav4 Prime; nice car. Feels very Toyota-y. The dealer did not have the battery charged so I spent some time getting that manually charged up to try out the acceleration. Its fast.

The dealer also wanted a $15k markup and said they'd still charge me some markup after some talk. (Capitol Toyota in San Jose)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Shadowhand00 posted:

I went to test drive a Rav4 Prime; nice car. Feels very Toyota-y. The dealer did not have the battery charged so I spent some time getting that manually charged up to try out the acceleration. Its fast.

The dealer also wanted a $15k markup and said they'd still charge me some markup after some talk. (Capitol Toyota in San Jose)

What does this mean? I'm not familiar with the lingo. They want to charge you $15k over list price?? I would have a hard time not telling them to get hosed.

I am just messing round with the configurator and they have 2-tone paint which is very cool and reminds me of my dad's Supra which was 2-tone blue and silver and all-round awesome car for 1985

Like this one :3:

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 11, 2020

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

knox_harrington posted:

What does this mean? I'm not familiar with the lingo. They want to charge you $15k over list price?? I would have a hard time not telling them to get hosed.

I am just messing round with the configurator and they have 2-tone paint which is very cool and reminds me of my dad's Supra which was 2-tone blue and silver and all-round awesome car for 1985

It's literally "We're charging you more money because we can." Sometimes labeled "Market Adjustment" on the Monroney\window sticker. The proper response is to tell them to get hosed and get one later when more get shipped over or talk to a different dealer.

Here's an example with the double gently caress you of "window etching"

And that's a pretty rad Supra.

e: A more egregious example

This is for a 2012 Prius C (in 2012 I assume)

PirateDentist fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 11, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

knox_harrington posted:

I hope retrofitting classics like these to be EVs becomes more popular because this would be an incredible EV

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re gonna pay a 15,000 additional dealer markup get something rad like a GT500

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

knox_harrington posted:

Uh it's not just individuals complaining on Twitter

J.D. Power rates Tesla electric vehicles as lowest quality auto brand in 2020 study
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/06/24/jd-power-iqs-tesla-electric-vehicles-2020/3249943001/

Only 1 in 4 teslas is free of defects says volume buyer
https://www.electrive.com/2019/08/17/electric-car-rental-nextmove-cancels-tesla-order/

More than 90 percent of Tesla cars roll off the assembly line defective, report says
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/11/29/tesla-model-3-production-defects-fremont-tsla.html

I tell people that one reason I went with the Kia because of the quality issues. Kia is ranked #1 from what I have seen.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

knox_harrington posted:

I drove one of these from Los Angeles to San Francisco in Jan. 1985 for the first MacWorld show. Nice car but I was a bit too tall for it. The next version was purchased by our marketing lead in 1986 and it was amazing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Now that I have my Bolt I figured now's the time to get a level 2 charger since there's some tax thing expiring this year. I asked a couple months ago some similar questions but I haveI have a couple more that are a bit more specific. I have a 200A panel in my home, with a detached garage fed by a 50A breaker. My garage has no 240V outlets so I will need an electrician to hook one up.

I know the max the Bolt will take is a 32A continuous current, so will a 14-50 outlet be possible? Even though it will probably never pull the full amperage of the circuit?

Would the electrician do a 14-30 outlet instead?

If I'm charging at the full 32A, theoretically I can operate a garage door since that wouldn't add up to 50A right?

To complicate things, my garage has a fuse box instead of a breaker box. My dad had purchased a 100A (I think, maybe 125A?) box before he passed a couple years ago, and I'm unsure what his plans were with it. I guess it would be necessary to install this along with the new outlet to stay in code, right?

And finally, everyone's favorite question, EVSE choices. Based on cost and reliability concerns, I've narrowed down to:

Grizzl-E 32A https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XSMRJQT/?coliid=I2NY6P3Q716V8A&colid=3UJ4H9F3XEUQ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1)

Pre-built OpenEVSE
https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products/products/advanced-series-40a-portable-station

And finally, I looked at but am unsure about this EVSE from evseadapters.com
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/12-32a-adjustable-120-240v-charger-evse/
The cost is right, but I'm weary of buying something that's unbranded and no UL certification even if the site itself seems reputable-ish

stevewm
May 10, 2005
An EVSE with a 14-30 plug would be limited to 24A. (continuous loads are limited to 80% of the circuit rating). 14-50 EVSEs are going to be limited to 40A. (which is why 7.2kW plugin EVSEs always have a 6-50 or 14-50 plug on them)

Any electrician might refuse to add a circuit to an ancient fuse box... In addition, your own locality might require it to be replaced with a modern sub panel with circuit breakers. Many have rules saying that old infrastructure cannot be added to or modified. Only used as is. You would have to consult with a electrician familiar with your area.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Evil Robot posted:

That's what I'm currently looking at for my next vehicle when my 160k mile 2004 Tacoma catastrophically fails mechanically.

So... In theory yes, but get back to me in a decade or three.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

stevewm posted:

An EVSE with a 14-30 plug would be limited to 24A. (continuous loads are limited to 80% of the circuit rating). 14-50 EVSEs are going to be limited to 40A. (which is why 7.2kW plugin EVSEs always have a 6-50 or 14-50 plug on them)

Any electrician might refuse to add a circuit to an ancient fuse box... In addition, your own locality might require it to be replaced with a modern sub panel with circuit breakers. Many have rules saying that old infrastructure cannot be added to or modified. Only used as is. You would have to consult with a electrician familiar with your area.

Yeah I figured I'd have to upgrade that at some point. Might as well get it out of the way

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

In my experience, most of the fanboys of other brands (most of my shitposting is about Chrysler quality) will respond to online complaints and mockery with "Yeah, but..." whereas Tesla fanboys seem to prefer "No, actually..." replies.

Edit: Thank you thread, for demonstrating exactly this. Imagine thinking people don't poo poo on Ford quality :lol:
Just had my first fanboy experience IRL. They guy (who I didn't know but was with my group of friends) was checking out my miata and remarked how large the gap between the tail lamps and top of the bumper cover was. "... And people complain about panel gals on Teslas!". Ok sure dude if you need to compare a 20 year old budget sports car to make yourself feel better about your modern high-tech luxury barge, go ahead.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

And finally, everyone's favorite question, EVSE choices. Based on cost and reliability concerns, I've narrowed down to:

Grizzl-E 32A https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07XSMRJQT/?coliid=I2NY6P3Q716V8A&colid=3UJ4H9F3XEUQ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1)

Pre-built OpenEVSE
https://store.openevse.com/collections/all-products/products/advanced-series-40a-portable-station

And finally, I looked at but am unsure about this EVSE from evseadapters.com
https://www.evseadapters.com/products/12-32a-adjustable-120-240v-charger-evse/
The cost is right, but I'm weary of buying something that's unbranded and no UL certification even if the site itself seems reputable-ish

As for EVSEs those are all fine choices. There are plenty of choices on Amazon though.... As for reliability, there honestly isn't much to a EVSE... Not a whole lot to go wrong at all. Pick one with good reviews, and you'll be fine.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Since this is kind of the defacto vehicle automation thread, I wanted to share a couple of interesting articles I read today on the topic. The first one, https://techxplore.com/news/2020-10-advanced-driver-assistance-susceptible-split-second-phantoms.html, is a kind of disturbing :stonklol: look at how someone could gently caress with a robot car and nobody would ever know. I'm sure they'll come out with a patch...
The second one is much more refreshing, dealing with the research going in to what's actually needed to get robots to be able to move safely and effectively in human space.
https://techxplore.com/news/2020-10-framework-safety-robots-crowded-environments.html. Turns out you need to get them to anticipate, (no poo poo) which I guess is a pretty challenging puzzle.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 14, 2020

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

This talk from last year explains a bit about image based classification https://slideslive.com/38917690/multitask-learning-in-the-wilderness skip to 9 minutes for technical part

I would guess the hacking with split second stop signs should be solvable with video based classification they are working on. I think right now they do image recognition of static objects and moving objects on still images and then the next layer has to decide whether to trust that with its own persistence or time based tracking. With video classification it would not even see it as a stop sign until it existed for multiple video frames. Though this introduces latency and could create other problems, which I think is actually one reason they focused on fast and accurate image processing for so long.

I'm impressed they have done so well on detecting moving objects without analyzing video until now. It makes too much sense to at least use video for detecting moving objects (relative to the car) even if they keep image recognition or look at single video frames for static objects.

Of course I am just theorycrafting since my expertise in this is watching a few youtube videos.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I expect we're going to see a lot of trolling with adversarial patches and similar techniques once self-driving or "intelligent cruise control+steering" or whatever becomes more common.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Both of your links are broken because you put punctuation inside of the url tags. I fixed it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Both of your links are broken because you put punctuation inside of the url tags. I fixed it.

Oops, thanks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahahaha

Loooooolllll

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress yes.

Anyone says that thing isn’t amazing, you piss right in their eye.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nice, when do the new wheels go on?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nice, when do the new wheels go on?

They're going to be for summer tyres in late April. These 20in wheels are just a bit narrower and have winter tyres on now. Interestingly (maybe) they are a specific electric winter version, Pirelli P Zero Winter Elect.

It's really nice to drive, these roads in the Lavaux are all very narrow so haven't been able to have much fun yet but it feels way more precise than my TTS did, and rides much better as well.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's a nice loving car, drat.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Hands down the best looking EV by far.

Saw this thing about Bolts this morning:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The Taycan looks awesome and I trust Porsche to actually know how to make an EV handle. Tesla didn't until Randy Pobst fixed track mode for them.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I can't remember how much we've talked about it here, but I really recommend looking through the AppleTV+ series "Long Way Up" for anyone in this thread. The first few episodes at least have some good looks at the Rivian prototypes, plus a lot of familiar anguish as they work out the lifestyle of opportunistic level 1 EV charging in the middle of nowhere.

A few highlights from the first eps:
  • You get some good looks at the Rivian prototypes in eps 1 and 2. These are supposedly serials #1 and #2 that they took on the 13,000 mile trip. The Rivian controls are very unfinished (exposed breadboard, horn control placed next to the knee, etc).
  • The new-to-me concept of tow-charging the Rivians. In ep 4(?) they run one of their Rivians to empty, so they stop a semi driver and ask him to unhook his load, strap the truck to his bobtail, and drag the Rivian around for 30 minutes. IIRC they say they're getting 80% charge per hour doing this?
  • A lot of charging grief and failures in the first eps, felt really familiar to me as someone who tours his Zero in Colorado. Then how much better it gets once they're out of patagonia winter, range increases, and they're able to find more electricity.

I'm only a few eps in so I don't know if there's a big breakdown coming, but so far Rivian comes out looking golden all considered.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Aahahaha

Loooooolllll

I drive past the Porsche Experience Center in Los Angeles every week (405 and 110). Always cool to see the bank of chargers with those cars.

Tempting to try one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ulf posted:

I can't remember how much we've talked about it here, but I really recommend looking through the AppleTV+ series "Long Way Up" for anyone in this thread. The first few episodes at least have some good looks at the Rivian prototypes, plus a lot of familiar anguish as they work out the lifestyle of opportunistic level 1 EV charging in the middle of nowhere.

A few highlights from the first eps:
  • You get some good looks at the Rivian prototypes in eps 1 and 2. These are supposedly serials #1 and #2 that they took on the 13,000 mile trip. The Rivian controls are very unfinished (exposed breadboard, horn control placed next to the knee, etc).
  • The new-to-me concept of tow-charging the Rivians. In ep 4(?) they run one of their Rivians to empty, so they stop a semi driver and ask him to unhook his load, strap the truck to his bobtail, and drag the Rivian around for 30 minutes. IIRC they say they're getting 80% charge per hour doing this?
  • A lot of charging grief and failures in the first eps, felt really familiar to me as someone who tours his Zero in Colorado. Then how much better it gets once they're out of patagonia winter, range increases, and they're able to find more electricity.

I'm only a few eps in so I don't know if there's a big breakdown coming, but so far Rivian comes out looking golden all considered.

I'm going to have to check this out. I love the idea of using something like this as prototype shakedown testing for Rivian. It's great PR, especially for a pickup truck where the marketing is all about how tough it is and by extension how tough you are perceived to be if you own one.
Regarding the tow-charging, I remember a Dutch motor show did that with the Leaf when it came out and proved it was possible, if not approved by Nissan.