Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/QjmUNcP.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Holy hell that Twitch video. You can really see the frustration hiding inside him that he's unwilling to meaningfully confront.

Even he's parroting that excuse of "it'll be done when it's done, that's what we signed up for I guess :C" but never really like... "Well, it's reliant on this and this, and when THAT'S DONE," and it's been like that for 8 years.

How much time do they need for their brains to unbreak and go "holy gently caress, it's never finishing."

A decade?

Twenty years?

I get the sunk cost fallacy of being in bed with a bad thing, but eventually you're gonna hit that point where you bail. I'm betting on 12 years. That's my bet for it hitting its halflife!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

800peepee51doodoo posted:

It is super fascinating stuff, tbh, but way way way more complex than what I can reasonably dive into at the moment. I do want to turn some knobs and make bleep bloops though so I've been looking at a couple different, much cheaper, standalone synths / midi controllers as a way to get my feet wet instead.

I'd recommend the Volca series of synths by Korg - all itty-bitty units with very purposfully limited capabilities and low cost (as far as fully-functional synths go). Perfect for tinkering and dipping toes into the world of sound synthesis, in my opinion - and they can actually be made to sound pretty tasty. Some of them are digital (samples, FM synthesis, etc.), some are legit analog synths. They can also be synched together and controlled by midi.

An example of what they can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJx4wk4eAc

I'm not affiliated with Korg, I promise

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

FlocksOfMice posted:

Holy hell that Twitch video. You can really see the frustration hiding inside him that he's unwilling to meaningfully confront.

Even he's parroting that excuse of "it'll be done when it's done, that's what we signed up for I guess :C" but never really like... "Well, it's reliant on this and this, and when THAT'S DONE," and it's been like that for 8 years.

How much time do they need for their brains to unbreak and go "holy gently caress, it's never finishing."

A decade?

Twenty years?

I get the sunk cost fallacy of being in bed with a bad thing, but eventually you're gonna hit that point where you bail. I'm betting on 12 years. That's my bet for it hitting its halflife!

Trouble is, it doesn't necessarily work that way. The longer the thing takes, the larger the sunk cost, the more caught in the fallacy they get.

It took goons a few years to break out of it, and I don't think many goons were scammed out of multiple tens of thousands of dollars.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I was scammed out of 30 dollars in 2012 so relatively speaking I'm pretty okay with that.
If Squardon ever releases then we're talking about serious value per dollar here.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

bandaid.friend posted:

The show also names "Musk Junior High" as where Tilly attended school in season two

Huh, somehow I totally missed that.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Holy meltdown

This guy backed in 2012, and was happily filing long, constructive bug reports as recently as 3.10

Now this

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

64-bit precision comedic timing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It’s very common when people are in the last stages of deciding to leave an abusive relationship that they will criticize the abuser insightfully and identify the ways they are being abused, but revert to defending the abuser when a third party criticizes them.

Not that this has anything to do with any streamers discussed in this thread, just :thunkher:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

Holy meltdown

This guy backed in 2012, and was happily filing long, constructive bug reports as recently as 3.10

This is beautiful. Also the game won't be released by the time his probation ends.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
lol the ROC is so hosed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLnN9lD1U0Y

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Out of the foggy shitfest that is 2020 appears an unlikely hero, holy poo poo saltymike's wife loving owns :lol:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Any sufficiently advanced mining vehicle is indistinguishable from bugs.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

This is beautiful. Also the game won't be released by the time his probation ends.

loving lol.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

Holy meltdown

Nice meltdown. What's up with that oddly specific probe length? 6 and half years? Is that like a release date of sq404 or something?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

i have stimpire author questions.

what was the citizen reaction to that? did the writer think any of that was going to be in a video game? why are there ten stimpire's--did any besides the fourth get, uh, ~fleshed~ out?

It was posted in the Fan Faction subforum on RSI. Since only a handful of people meandered into that area it languished there for the world to see before mods took notice. As for the response, most of the replies were "WTF is this?" variety. The author did reply in a friendly fashion on why he wrote it, but I forget exactly what that reason was.

I have to imagine it was during a bender of some drug cocktail combined with watching the movie Event Horizon after reading about the deleted parts that drove him to such madness.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The whole "we knew what we were signing up for, we want it to take forever, we don't want there to be any deadlines!" series of excuses should be called out more often for the bullshit that it is. Back when the original kickstarter was launched, Roberts absolutely presented the Star Citizen as a normal game with a reasonable, if somewhat ambitious scope, and an expected delivery date to go along with it. The people who contributed during the first several years had no loving clue it would turn into the gigantic poo poo show it is now.

It was only well after the original release date passed by that CIG started pushing the whole "it's done when it's done" narrative, and much to CIG's delight I'm sure, the more zealous community members started latching onto that and spinning it as a good thing. If you had told them back in 2012, 2014, or even 2016 that the game still wouldn't be out by 2020, you'd instantly have an angry internet mob on your rear end screaming at you for spreading anti-SC FUD. I guarantee you that no SC fans today, except for maybe the very most broke-brained Stockholm Syndrome addled among them, would tell you they want to have to wait until 2024 for the game to come out, but when 2024 rolls around and there's still no game, they'll be throwing out these same stupid lines as they are right now.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

:lol: at the Smug Lando overlay.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Sunk cost aside, the biggest problem is the inability to move from "Chris Roberts is a visionary auteur genius" to the more accurate "Chris Roberts is an inept fraud." I'm not 100% sure why people are having so much trouble making that adjustment. Maybe we're just seeing the last of the "great man" fallacy play out among turbonerds who are holding on to the fact that an ignorant thumb can "make it big" because it validates their own worthless lives. I don't know. But you see it with all the remaining backers and streamers. Comments like "this is the game Chris always wanted to make," which is a ridiculous statement from any angle. Who cares what that stupid, worthless fuckwad "always wanted to do?" He can't do it, and there's literally no sane reason to bankroll his attempt.

I think the sunk cost fallacy is important, but really comes second to the cult-like belief that Chris can do things he absolutely cannot do, ever, and the absolute unwillingness to see what he really is. There's something about that unearned hero worship that blinds the people who are left, whether they're in for $10, $10,000, or nothing. The most important thing is to maintain the lie that Chris is a game developer. Everything else is secondary to that concern.

Which oddly enough lines up perfectly with what Chris wants to believe about himself. Having a game to ship is not on the radar - thinking he's a developer/director is, and playing that role.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

reverend crabhands posted:

Some great bits in this. "Fidelity in remembering". :)

I liked the bit where Mike's missus pops in to give her opinion on the the SC project :

https://twitch.tv/videos/767178937?t=4839s

Bouncing around in here is great lmao.

"Lethality, you're the most cringe loving person on the internet, so shut the gently caress up, come on dude, please."

Mike let me come on your podcast or whatever, we'll make a goon outta you yet.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Out of the foggy shitfest that is 2020 appears an unlikely hero, holy poo poo saltymike's wife loving owns :lol:

Like, she just kept droping truth bombs one after another. Relentless carnage.

I bet Mike will pledge harder after that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

The whole "we knew what we were signing up for, we want it to take forever, we don't want there to be any deadlines!" series of excuses should be called out more often for the bullshit that it is. Back when the original kickstarter was launched, Roberts absolutely presented the Star Citizen as a normal game with a reasonable, if somewhat ambitious scope, and an expected delivery date to go along with it. The people who contributed during the first several years had no loving clue it would turn into the gigantic poo poo show it is now.

It was only well after the original release date passed by that CIG started pushing the whole "it's done when it's done" narrative, and much to CIG's delight I'm sure, the more zealous community members started latching onto that and spinning it as a good thing. If you had told them back in 2012, 2014, or even 2016 that the game still wouldn't be out by 2020, you'd instantly have an angry internet mob on your rear end screaming at you for spreading anti-SC FUD. I guarantee you that no SC fans today, except for maybe the very most broke-brained Stockholm Syndrome addled among them, would tell you they want to have to wait until 2024 for the game to come out, but when 2024 rolls around and there's still no game, they'll be throwing out these same stupid lines as they are right now.

You see, there was a poll, and the backers voted to expand the scope. So, in the end, it's the backers fault.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dogeh posted:

She is right on the money. "Playable concept art" was a good description.
He should listen to her more.

Zaphod42 posted:

"He's not Elon Musk, he can't just keep spending millions of dollars"

"He can though, because we keep giving it to him"

"But he's clearly mis-managing it!"

"But nobody cares!"

:prepop:

trucutru posted:

Look, you cannot have your wife's argument be correct on camera!

This is exactly why all the guys are all secretive about their Star Citizen purchases with their wives.

The only way to not look and feel stupid to her is to make sure she never finds out. Then you can be totally stupid and feel no shame, which you really should be feeling.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

nurmie posted:

I'd recommend the Volca series of synths by Korg - all itty-bitty units with very purposfully limited capabilities and low cost (as far as fully-functional synths go). Perfect for tinkering and dipping toes into the world of sound synthesis, in my opinion - and they can actually be made to sound pretty tasty. Some of them are digital (samples, FM synthesis, etc.), some are legit analog synths. They can also be synched together and controlled by midi.

Actually been looking at those as well as stuff like that Behringer minimoog knockoff or the Mother 32. I contacted a dude on craigslist about a Korg Monologue which seems pretty ideal for a beginner and when I was looking around at this stuff it seemed like there was one of those sitting at every synth workstation on youtube.

peter gabriel posted:

Lol right, dude should listen to his wife and just play Stellaris instead of immiserating himself every single day

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

Holy meltdown

Now this

Oh dear. :allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Colostomy Bag posted:

It was posted in the Fan Faction subforum on RSI. Since only a handful of people meandered into that area it languished there for the world to see before mods took notice. As for the response, most of the replies were "WTF is this?" variety. The author did reply in a friendly fashion on why he wrote it, but I forget exactly what that reason was.

I have to imagine it was during a bender of some drug cocktail combined with watching the movie Event Horizon after reading about the deleted parts that drove him to such madness.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Actually been looking at those as well as stuff like that Behringer minimoog knockoff or the Mother 32. I contacted a dude on craigslist about a Korg Monologue which seems pretty ideal for a beginner and when I was looking around at this stuff it seemed like there was one of those sitting at every synth workstation on youtube.

Lol right, dude should listen to his wife and just play Stellaris instead of immiserating himself every single day

While you're deciding you can have some fun with this - released recently,. Browser based 303 and 808!!

https://808303.studio/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Mike let me come on your podcast or whatever, we'll make a goon outta you yet.
:same:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1314621751775559681
https://twitter.com/CloudImperium/status/1315706736578162688

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

FlocksOfMice posted:

The thing is, as of this year the game is in a mostly playable state. It's not fun, mind you. But you can get in your ship and fly around for 4 hours and it probably won't crash, and if you know how to step just right you probably won't run into any night-ruining bugs. You can trade and mine and fight. The problem is that this big empty sandbox is shackled to an incredibly predatory online store, so no part of trading/mining/fighting will ever meaningfully progress you within the game. They're just empty activities that consume time- think of them as short demos of these ships you bought, but can't yet use to their full potential.

Most remaining Citizens seem to dip in, try out the new stuff to whatever degree they are able, and then pop out again for another 3 to 6 months. If you do that, it was possible until this year to convince yourself that they really were getting somewhere- on a 6 month timeline, CIG usually added enough content to warrant a few hours of poking around at least. The problems become more apparent if you dive a little deeper though. First, none of the content ever connects up to anything else. All the tissue that should link these ships and activities together into a coherent whole is missing, and the only time you'll ever see another player outside a spawn area is if you both agree to be there- nothing in the game will ever bring you together. Second, they never flesh any of the activities out. They do all the easy parts for their first release and then walk away. Multi-crew is still completely broken and wafer-thin. Narrative missions? Don't even get me started. It takes an extreme optimist to see that and think that obviously they're going to come around for a second pass. And Third, all of this applies to years before 2020. This year they've just stopped updating altogether. The quarterly releases are now basically "Elevator panels and, uh, a new gun." Meanwhile 95% of the game is either missing or completely broken.

I don't begin to understand streamer psychology but I imagine it's a little bit like road blindness. They're so close to this thing, all they've seen is an endless blur of grey concrete flashing in front of them for what feels like years now. They know they're making progress because there's an occasional signpost. They just can't quite look up far enough to see that the road is a treadmill, and the operators left for a smoke break about 12 months ago and never came back.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
There is sc inspired fan music

Quantum Jellyfish (Lost in Time)

October 11th at 6:37 pm

Music

https://youtu.be/ScMYRx66Ah0

New song made and video recorded by yours truly while wasting away the hours at Wally's Bar in the New Babbage Promenade.

I MADE THIS SONG INSPIRATION OF THIS GAME

October 10th at 1:48 pm

Guys i made this song inspiration of this game. Enjoy!
Also here's spotify link if you have one:
https://open.spotify.com/album/56hx4Qhh8vANFyoOaBJRIV?highlight=spotify:track:19e8erLmW7gKs7nIljTq3U

https://youtu.be/pXsO6L1wesQ

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

The thing is, as of this year the game is in a mostly playable state. It's not fun, mind you. But you can get in your ship and fly around for 4 hours and it probably won't crash, and if you know how to step just right you probably won't run into any night-ruining bugs. You can trade and mine and fight. The problem is that this big empty sandbox is shackled to an incredibly predatory online store, so no part of trading/mining/fighting will ever meaningfully progress you within the game. They're just empty activities that consume time- think of them as short demos of these ships you bought, but can't yet use to their full potential.

Most remaining Citizens seem to dip in, try out the new stuff to whatever degree they are able, and then pop out again for another 3 to 6 months. If you do that, it was possible until this year to convince yourself that they really were getting somewhere- on a 6 month timeline, CIG usually added enough content to warrant a few hours of poking around at least. The problems become more apparent if you dive a little deeper though. First, none of the content ever connects up to anything else. All the tissue that should link these ships and activities together into a coherent whole is missing, and the only time you'll ever see another player outside a spawn area is if you both agree to be there- nothing in the game will ever bring you together. Second, they never flesh any of the activities out. They do all the easy parts for their first release and then walk away. Multi-crew is still completely broken and wafer-thin. Narrative missions? Don't even get me started. It takes an extreme optimist to see that and think that obviously they're going to come around for a second pass. And Third, all of this applies to years before 2020. This year they've just stopped updating altogether. The quarterly releases are now basically "Elevator panels and, uh, a new gun." Meanwhile 95% of the game is either missing or completely broken.

I don't begin to understand streamer psychology but I imagine it's a little bit like road blindness. They're so close to this thing, all they've seen is an endless blur of grey concrete flashing in front of them for what feels like years now. They know they're making progress because there's an occasional signpost. They just can't quite look up far enough to see that the road is a treadmill, and the operators left for a smoke break about 12 months ago and never came back.

I like this post - it summarizes what's going on very well. Particularly the bit about the lack of connected content - a detail most backers seem to be entirely overlooking, but which is a dead giveaway to the lack of planning around the project. It's just setpieces placed adjacent to each other, each one a singular monument to an isolated game concept.

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

I have heard good things about the Behringer Crave (M32 clone). I have a couple M32s and a DFAM, and also the Behringer Neutron. I also have a couple other other less traditional (more "West Coast style") semi-modulars. Semi-modular synths are definitely the way to go to dip a toe into modular. It is way cheaper than buying all the components (VCA, VCO, VCF, LFO, power supply, case, etc.) individually as modules. Also, they are normaled so they function like a regular synth, but you can break the normal connections and experiment that way. To revert, just pull all your patch cables.

The other option for learning modular is software. I use VCV rack, but there are many others (including some VR options... I wonder if SC will sell a music based ship with a built in quantum modular synth, after they flip the switch to enable VR).

Korg Volcas are cool, but they have drawbacks. The Volca FM is almost impossible to use without a DX7 editor, so it is pretty much a preset box (with very limited polyphony compared to Yamaha FM synths). The Volca Keys sounds great, but it goes out of tune when it gets hot and the output jack is quite noisy. Also, Volca interfaces are a bit finicky to learn. Still, they are impressive for what you get.

The Korg Monologue or Minilogue could fit the bill nicely tho. Keys are good to have, if you don't have a controller yet, and a knob-per-function type interface is easier to learn and more intuitive to tweak.

IAbsolveMyself fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2020

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Derailing this thread with no survivors:

I got a Monologue. It's probably one of the best bang for your bucks monosynth out there, it's a decent monosynth + midi and cv step sequencer + better keybed than 90% of the midi keyboards on the market for the same price + microtonal scales capability for 200 and something bucks.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Sunk cost aside, the biggest problem is the inability to move from "Chris Roberts is a visionary auteur genius" to the more accurate "Chris Roberts is an inept fraud." I'm not 100% sure why people are having so much trouble making that adjustment. Maybe we're just seeing the last of the "great man" fallacy play out among turbonerds who are holding on to the fact that an ignorant thumb can "make it big" because it validates their own worthless lives. I don't know. But you see it with all the remaining backers and streamers. Comments like "this is the game Chris always wanted to make," which is a ridiculous statement from any angle. Who cares what that stupid, worthless fuckwad "always wanted to do?" He can't do it, and there's literally no sane reason to bankroll his attempt.

I think the sunk cost fallacy is important, but really comes second to the cult-like belief that Chris can do things he absolutely cannot do, ever, and the absolute unwillingness to see what he really is. There's something about that unearned hero worship that blinds the people who are left, whether they're in for $10, $10,000, or nothing. The most important thing is to maintain the lie that Chris is a game developer. Everything else is secondary to that concern.

Which oddly enough lines up perfectly with what Chris wants to believe about himself. Having a game to ship is not on the radar - thinking he's a developer/director is, and playing that role.
It seems that a large group of people simply cannot distinguish real successful professionals from narcissistic fraudsters who lack competencies and results, whether it's in the field of game development or other fields. CR tells them what they want to hear, CR wants what they want, therefore he is trustworthy.

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020

Dwesa posted:

It seems that a large group of people simply cannot distinguish real successful professionals from narcissistic fraudsters who lack competencies and results, whether it's in the field of game development or other fields. CR tells them what they want to hear, CR wants what they want, therefore he is trustworthy.

During a more innocent era of... just a few years ago, I would have had difficulty wrapping my mind around how people would continue to believe in Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen project in 2020, to the point of squandering not-insignificant chunks of disposable income for the sake of keeping "the dream" going. And to the point of demonizing critics and skeptics as anarchy-loving trolls or a cabal of FUDsters comprised of Goons, Derek Smart, and persons even worse.

But after seeing the spread of insular belief systems like Flat Earth and QAnon, the whole Star Citizen thing is much more plausible.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OffensiveClosedFrenchbulldog-mobile.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

dejapes posted:

During a more innocent era of... just a few years ago, I would have had difficulty wrapping my mind around how people would continue to believe in Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen project in 2020, to the point of squandering not-insignificant chunks of disposable income for the sake of keeping "the dream" going. And to the point of demonizing critics and skeptics as anarchy-loving trolls or a cabal of FUDsters comprised of Goons, Derek Smart, and persons even worse.

But after seeing the spread of insular belief systems like Flat Earth and QAnon, the whole Star Citizen thing is much more plausible.

The Internet was a mistake. In bygone days, village idiots were isolated in their respective villages, and the relative normalcy of their neighbors kept them in check. Today, the village idiots are one giant network of millions of village idiots, who can now mobilize as a united front, the result of which is that we're all pretty much hosed.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm only following this very casually. But is there a single ship so far which has fully functioning multi-crew systems and actually requires manned stations for things like flight nav, engineering, weapons, power (each with their own minigames) to perform at maximum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Organ Harvesting Missions & harvesting tool

October 6th at 8:32 am

Organ Harvesting Missions

I've mentioned this in spectrum chat a few times. you could use the greycat tool in the same way we mine with it, the mechanics are the same, but we could have missions in which you kill a target "x" and use the handy dandy "Roawa Rotary Blade" attachment (I'm open to names) and whala out pops the organs. when they pop like a pinata

Look ethics aside. the mechanics are already in game. so no new coding just repaint and there ya go. The beauty is this could be used on npc animals when trying to extract anything as a mission you can let your imagination go wild with it. I'm not a good story teller so I can't think of any really in depth good story I could make up on the fly right now. and just like Billy Mays would say, "But wait, there's more!" They could be some missions for I dunno crime stat 5 people or how ever you wanna make it where the npc is a kidney match for example and hey go get his nine tails guy and pop a few kidneys. or bone marrow . . don't ask me I'm not a doctor.. . .any way you can now have a smuggling loop. I don't expect you can just transfer a crate of hearts around and not get noticed.

This would be just plain fun and something that would use the existing mechanics similar to the purpose of the Bartender NPC. . . .not to mention would just be plain fun to kill some one then the last thing they see as you just got doen beating them into unconciousness is me firing up the RRB on the Grey cat. It's a whole new way to rub in the win. If nothing else this would be a great way to harvest npc critters.